TeaDave

Default sencha fukujyu - how to brew?

I recently discovered that I had an ounce of Sencha Fukujyu that I had
forgotten about. I tried brewing it for 3 minutes with less than
boiling water, and it was horrible. Tasted like some sort of awful
spinach. I am aware that it is supposed to taste like spinach, but I
would like to know if anyone knows the proper temperature, time and
amount of leaf in order to brew this tea well.
-Dave

Rick Chappell

TeaDave > wrote:
> I recently discovered that I had an ounce of Sencha Fukujyu that I had
> forgotten about. I tried brewing it for 3 minutes with less than
> boiling water, and it was horrible. Tasted like some sort of awful
> spinach. I am aware that it is supposed to taste like spinach, but I

I think it's supposed to taste like really good spinach.

(Try very cool water, even down to 150 degrees).

Rick.

Lewis Perin

Rick Chappell > writes:

> TeaDave > wrote:
> > I recently discovered that I had an ounce of Sencha Fukujyu that I had
> > forgotten about. I tried brewing it for 3 minutes with less than
> > boiling water, and it was horrible. Tasted like some sort of awful
> > spinach. I am aware that it is supposed to taste like spinach, but I

> I think it's supposed to taste like really good spinach.
>
> (Try very cool water, even down to 150 degrees).

You might try it even cooler than that: 140F. And 3 minutes might be
too long for a first steep; I rarely go longer than 2 minutes for a
first steep of sencha, and usually pour off the tea liquor
*immediately* on the second steep. But these aren't ironbound rules;
you'll probably benefit from experimenting.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
athooya

Hi TeaDave, try this on the Sencha Fukujyu :

When preparing by the cup, this tea can be used repeatedly ... about 3
times. The secret is to use water that is about 180'F or 80'C. Let
the tea steep for about 3 minutes. Do not remove the leaves from the
cup. Once the water level is low - add more water, and so on and so on
.... until the flavor of the tea is exhausted (take a small sip to test
the flavor).

Alternatively, scoop 2 to 4 teaspoons of tea into the teapot, pour in
boiling water that has been freshly drawn (previously boiled water has
lost most of its oxygen and therefore tends to be flat tasting,
filtered water is better), steep for 2 to 4 minutes to taste, stir
(virtually all the leaves will sink), pour into your cup but do not add
milk or sugar since green tea is enjoyed 'straight-up'.

It is not a science, but I hope it gives you a base to start in your
own experimentation =) It boils down to taste and preference.

- Athooya
http://www.niftea.com

TeaDave wrote:
> I recently discovered that I had an ounce of Sencha Fukujyu that I had
> forgotten about. I tried brewing it for 3 minutes with less than
> boiling water, and it was horrible. Tasted like some sort of awful
> spinach. I am aware that it is supposed to taste like spinach, but I
> would like to know if anyone knows the proper temperature, time and
> amount of leaf in order to brew this tea well.
> -Dave

crymad

athooya wrote:
> Hi TeaDave, try this on the Sencha Fukujyu :

No, please don't. That's way too hot and way too long. Follow
Rick and Lew's recommendations instead.

--crymad

Why is Sencha so ugly Space Cowboy Tea 2 15-06-2009 05:07 PM
Cold brew tea as nutrional as hot brew? [email protected] General Cooking 5 02-08-2008 05:18 AM
Cold brew tea as nutrional as hot brew? [email protected] Tea 0 31-07-2008 04:34 PM
Caffiene in tea - Long brew vs. Short brew Linda Tea 11 27-02-2006 02:47 PM
Sencha help tatrader Tea 2 07-01-2005 09:10 AM