Mike Fulton

Default Tea on IRC

Unable to find a chat room connected with this place which I have grown
to love for the past few weeks, I have decided to make an IRC room
dedicated to tea drinking which is connected to this USEnet group. The
room is #tea, and it is on the freenode Network (formally the Open
Projects Network) at irc.freenode.org port 6667. The server is
relatively stable, and is the place for Linux junkies, and anything
Open Source or GNU related. It is also where you will find the official
Wikipedia channel.

I am under the nick ICXCNIKA, so come check it out. Hopefully through
IRC we can make our discussions a bit more "live" and make
rec.food.drink.tea a smaller place.

Lewis Perin

"Mike Fulton" > writes:

> Unable to find a chat room connected with this place which I have grown
> to love for the past few weeks, I have decided to make an IRC room
> dedicated to tea drinking which is connected to this USEnet group.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "connected" here. Could
you be more specific?

> The room is #tea, and it is on the freenode Network (formally the
> Open Projects Network) at irc.freenode.org port 6667. The server is
> relatively stable, and is the place for Linux junkies, and anything
> Open Source or GNU related. It is also where you will find the
> official Wikipedia channel.
>
> I am under the nick ICXCNIKA, so come check it out. Hopefully through
> IRC we can make our discussions a bit more "live" and make
> rec.food.drink.tea a smaller place.

Make it "a smaller place"? I hope you don't mean to lure people away
from it?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Eric Jorgensen

On 19 Jul 2005 00:13:28 -0700
"Mike Fulton" > wrote:

> Unable to find a chat room connected with this place which I have grown
> to love for the past few weeks, I have decided to make an IRC room
> dedicated to tea drinking which is connected to this USEnet group. The
> room is #tea, and it is on the freenode Network (formally the Open
> Projects Network) at irc.freenode.org port 6667. The server is
> relatively stable, and is the place for Linux junkies, and anything
> Open Source or GNU related. It is also where you will find the official
> Wikipedia channel.

I hope lilo doesn't get his knickers in a twist about it and insist that
you rename it ##tea.
Mike Fulton

Lewis Perin wrote:
> "Mike Fulton" > writes:
>
> > Unable to find a chat room connected with this place which I have grown
> > to love for the past few weeks, I have decided to make an IRC room
> > dedicated to tea drinking which is connected to this USEnet group.

> Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "connected" here. Could
> you be more specific?

Connected as in an unofficial room which is associated with this
newsgroup. I didn't mean anything too technical, Lewis.

> > The room is #tea, and it is on the freenode Network (formally the
> > Open Projects Network) at irc.freenode.org port 6667. The server is
> > relatively stable, and is the place for Linux junkies, and anything
> > Open Source or GNU related. It is also where you will find the
> > official Wikipedia channel.
> >
> > I am under the nick ICXCNIKA, so come check it out. Hopefully through
> > IRC we can make our discussions a bit more "live" and make
> > rec.food.drink.tea a smaller place.

> Make it "a smaller place"? I hope you don't mean to lure people away
> from it?

Um...no. Why would I want to do that, Lewis? I don't have any malice
towards a USEnet group about tea. But, if this gives you problems, I'll
shut down the room and leave rec.food.drink.tea.

> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Lewis Perin

"Mike Fulton" > writes:

> Lewis Perin wrote:
> > "Mike Fulton" > writes:
> >
> > > [...IRC channel associated with RFDT...]
> > >
> > > I am under the nick ICXCNIKA, so come check it out. Hopefully through
> > > IRC we can make our discussions a bit more "live" and make
> > > rec.food.drink.tea a smaller place.

> > Make it "a smaller place"? I hope you don't mean to lure people away
> > from it?
> >

> Um...no. Why would I want to do that, Lewis? I don't have any malice
> towards a USEnet group about tea. But, if this gives you problems, I'll
> shut down the room and leave rec.food.drink.tea.

I hope I didn't come across as some sort of self-appointed Net
policeman.

Let me take this opportunity to say that, while I do of course
communicate about tea outside the precincts of RFDT, I value this
group a lot. Partly it's because of the *lack* of immediacy: some
people here, at least, seem to spend more effort on getting their
posts polished than they would in chat or email. Also it's public and
easily found by anyone who knows what Usenet is, which helps attract a
diverse subscriber base. And it's archived (thanks Google, no matter
what we may say about you!)

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Natarajan Krishnaswami

On 2005-07-19, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> Make it "a smaller place"? I hope you don't mean to lure people away
> from it?

In the sense of making the world a smaller place.

N.
Mike Fulton

And I hope I didn't come across as a flock thief.

Usenet is pretty new to me, and I must say that I am more comfortable
at times with immediacy. It could also be that I am out in the
boondocks currently without anyone to discuss concerning my hobby of
tea tasting (in an area where the primary beverages are Bud Lite and
Folger's freeze dried coffee, that's not saying much).

I've closed down the room anyway due to lack of response. Besides, if
anyone wants to discuss tea on IRC, they know where to find me.