Default teas that are health-promoting -- ginger, green ... others?

ginger, i think, seems to be good in preventing prostate cancer, in
particular, and hopefully does other good stuff too. so i'm hoping
ginger-tea (ginger boiled for a few minutes) would also pass on those
benefits

green tea has heaps of medical studies that support it being
health-promoting in myriad ways (anti-cancer, weight-loss, strong teeth
etc etc)

I drink about a litre of a homemade green+ginger-tea combination
everyday. are there any other teas that there is good scientific
evidence for believing they are valuable to drink?

thanks very much for your input!

ps. I am also a nutrition-conscious vegetarian athlete, which I realise
are higher priorities for good health & longlife.

toci

There are a lot of claims for a lot of tisanes, but scientific studies
to back the claims are sometimes sparse. I'd suggest drinking your tea
plain (green or black) throughout the morning and early afternoon, and
your ginger tea in the late afternoon and evening, so you won't have
caffeine interfering with your sleep. Ginger tisanes often come in a
mixture with other spices and herbs- licorice, black pepper,
peppermint.... Toci

thanks toci. I like the idea of keeping the drinks separate. buti
don't need to buy ginger tisanes, its easy & fresher just to cut up a
few slices of ginger, and boil for a few minutes

athooya

Hi, there are claims on the benefits of white teas too. The western
cosmetic industry has recently discovered the benefits of white tea. In
addition to its anticancer properties, tea has a calming and
detoxifying effect on the skin. White tea is especially potent in that
it is has three times as many antioxidant polyphenols as green or black
tea and has been shown to be more effective in mopping up free radicals
that cause skin to sag.

Researchers at the Linus Pauling Institute in Oregon tested white teas
on selected rats to test for the ability of white teas to inhibit
natural mutations in bacteria and to protect the rats from colon
cancer. Interestingly, white teas were found to be more effective than
green tea in inhibiting the early stages of cancer but researchers were
quick to point out that their study was on rats and the effects should
not be extrapolated to humans.

- Athooya
http://www.niftea.com
your cup of tea to the healthy lifestyle

wrote:
> ginger, i think, seems to be good in preventing prostate cancer, in
> particular, and hopefully does other good stuff too. so i'm hoping
> ginger-tea (ginger boiled for a few minutes) would also pass on those
> benefits
>
> green tea has heaps of medical studies that support it being
> health-promoting in myriad ways (anti-cancer, weight-loss, strong teeth
> etc etc)
>
> I drink about a litre of a homemade green+ginger-tea combination
> everyday. are there any other teas that there is good scientific
> evidence for believing they are valuable to drink?
>
> thanks very much for your input!
>
> ps. I am also a nutrition-conscious vegetarian athlete, which I realise
> are higher priorities for good health & longlife.

Rick Chappell

Oat bran warning ahead:

(Note to youngsters or non-Americans. The oat bran phenomenon was a
huge marketing campaign based on shaky science which claimed that oats
have particular health benefits.)

In article om> you wrote:
> Hi, there are claims on the benefits of white teas too. The western
> cosmetic industry has recently discovered the benefits of white tea. In
> addition to its anticancer properties, tea has a calming and
> detoxifying effect on the skin. White tea is especially potent in that
> it is has three times as many antioxidant polyphenols as green or black
> tea and has been shown to be more effective in mopping up free radicals
> that cause skin to sag.

Let us pass over the issue of calm vs. nervous skin. There certainly
is evidence from chemical analyses that tea contains antioxidants.
But I haven't seen any clinical studies (i.e., on people) which show
that tea benefits skin. There are an awful lot of antioxidants out
there (in blueberries, pomegranates, ...) and few have been shown to
actually increase human health. This hasn't stopped the cosmetic
industry, of course. Notably, vitamin E appears to _increase_ lung
cancer rates. That's orally though. I presume that smearing small
quantities of it on your face won't hurt much except your wallet.

> Researchers at the Linus Pauling Institute in Oregon tested white teas
> on selected rats to test for the ability of white teas to inhibit
> natural mutations in bacteria and to protect the rats from colon
> cancer. Interestingly, white teas were found to be more effective than
> green tea in inhibiting the early stages of cancer but researchers were
> quick to point out that their study was on rats and the effects should
> not be extrapolated to humans.

Although this warning is encouraging, it's hard to trust the LPI after
their vitamin C debacle.

> - Athooya
> http://www.niftea.com
> your cup of tea to the healthy lifestyle

> wrote:
>> ps. I am also a nutrition-conscious vegetarian athlete, which I realise
>> are higher priorities for good health & longlife.

That of course, is beyond doubt. I do worry about taking certain marketable
aspects of that lifestyle, refining them to a product, and selling it to the
unambulatory masses.

Best,

Rick.

Dog Ma 1

> I presume that smearing small
> quantities of it on your face won't hurt much except your wallet.

This is the problem with allowing people whose job is to analyze scientific
results ex post facto get involved in design methodology. The idea is to
smear the stuff on your wallet, thereby saving face.

-DM
(sorry; just back from the left coast, and getting coriolis-effect
flashbacks)

ctc green teas? Natarajan Krishnaswami Tea 3 15-01-2008 09:19 PM
new(ish) harvest of green teas taopants Tea 3 10-08-2006 06:29 AM
Are ALL green teas low in caffeine? [email protected] Tea 48 30-11-2004 12:32 AM
chinese green teas Lars M Tea 7 16-03-2004 11:24 PM
Black Teas and Health seby1689 Tea 2 17-02-2004 04:20 AM