Old 16-07-2005, 05:48 AM
toci

See if Seven Cups is fair traded. They claim something like that, plus
organic, but I didn't see a certification claim. Toci

Old 16-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Space Cowboy

Any contrived system of price support fails in the long run. I think
Karl Marx was correct you do have to account for labor in the end. Our
model of Unionism and Management is more successful than Communism. So
are you a good boy and only shop at stores with a Union?

Jim

Maxim Voronov wrote:
Well, I doubt that the world will be fair for everyone -- ever. That's
hardly the point of fair trade. As consumers, we vote with our
wallets: either for change or for more of the same. If I am offered an
option to support the business of a company that sells fair trade
certified products and is therefore being a socially responsible
capitalist, then I would like to vote for that.

As a professor of business, my sense is that unbridled capitalism is
not nearly as rational or "good" as we are often led to believe. It
needs to be channelled and guided in order to offer the most benefits
to the most people. Otherwise, it just causes destruction for most and
benefits for a select few.

In the ideal world things would be as TeaDave describes. But they are
not.

Old 16-07-2005, 11:13 PM
Maxim Voronov

Jim,

Indeed, I do try to shop just in stores with a union. Unfortunately,
in the US if you limit yourself to just those stores, you'll starve to
death, becaue you won't be able to buy groceries, as most of them are
quite fond of union busting. And yes, I agree that Union and
Management model works better than "Communism", the way it was
implemented (it was actually never implemented, except maybe in Israeli
Kibutzen (sp?), where it seemed to work fine). Unfortunately, there is
a real war on unions in the US. But I digress....

Old 16-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Maxim Voronov

Thanks, Toci! I'll check them out.

Maxim

Old 18-07-2005, 10:55 PM
Eric Jorgensen

On 15 Jul 2005 05:27:35 -0700
"Space Cowboy" wrote:

You could allow more Indians with green cards to work in the IS
industry displacing domestic workers. The infrastructure and labor of
the oil producing countries of the Middle East are Indian. Where's
there is money there are Indians. India can handle it's own labor
problems. This is nothing more than a guilt trip like starving
children who want me to give up part of my tea allowance so they can
eat some of the white bread which won't sell because of the Atkins
diet.

Actually . . . .=20

The pro bakers I know say that from their perspective, Atkins is more or
less a thing of the past. Their business has picked back up, as of about 9
months ago. People no longer come into the bakery and whine about how they
don't have any good low-carb donuts. They just buy the =E9clair and walk aw=
ay
happy.=20

One of them said his distributor started including free 40lb bags of
low-carb ingredients with all his orders. Ingredients that have expired
already.=20

Oddly enough, the books are still selling. Perhaps everyone is at stage
three?=20

I agree though. India is not the third world country it's made out to
be, and they can handle it. They'd be insulted if you suggested otherwise.=
=20

Old 19-07-2005, 04:26 AM
fLameDogg

Michael Plant wrote in
:

Funny you should mention Linux. I've been toying with that idea
myself, but, as was called to my attention, it would require my
starting a brand new hobby with lots of steep learning curve, and tea
is about as intellectual as I get.

Eh. It's not so hard. If I can do it...

I still use MS-Windows quite a bit, but I plan to move completely to
something else someday, whether it be Linux or some other option. I lost
trust in the Microsoft Way a long time ago.

Just grab a Knoppix CD. Boot with it once in a while. Take your time.
Have fun with it. Work is grueling, but play is liberating.

http://www.knoppix.org/

Or not. But the option is there, and getting easier all the time.

Oh yeah. I support fair trade too, and I share the concern whether it is
for real or just a "marketing ploy". I like tea, but mixed with milk,
sometimes, and never misery.

--
fD
"God's not on our side 'cause he hates idiots also."
Old 19-07-2005, 04:28 AM
fLameDogg

"Space Cowboy" wrote in
oups.com:

I need to switch to Linux.

Please see my response to Mr. Plant. And have a good day, you old
curmudgeon, you.

Old 29-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Karel Valter

Hi,
May be for coffee, bananas and so on the Fair Trade works but as
concerns tea, whenever I gave a try, I found myself drinking poor
stuff which I had paid more than correcly. You might think I'm stupid
but I do believe it's not fair.

Karel

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:53:12 -0500, Joe Doe
wrote:

I am providing a link to a series of pictures of workers in Indian tea
gardens.

While we enjoy our tea and concentrate on flavor and other nuances we
are largely oblivious to the plight of the tea producers.

See:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...uth_asia_india
_tea_workers/html/1.stm

While tea snobs can certainly not solve all the problems of the Tea
Industry perhaps purchasing fair trade teas may be one small step
towards helping them.

Roland

Old 30-07-2005, 04:43 PM
kuri

"Karel Valter" wrote in message

May be for coffee, bananas and so on the Fair Trade works but as
concerns tea, whenever I gave a try, I found myself drinking poor
stuff which I had paid more than correcly. You might think I'm stupid
but I do believe it's not fair.

There are excellent teas from Taiwan and Japan. They are all fair trade, you
can be sure.

Kuri

Old 31-07-2005, 09:01 AM
danube

Funny you should mention Linux. I've been toying with that idea myself,
but, as was called to my attention, it would require my starting a brand
new hobby with lots of steep learning curve, and tea is about as
intellectual as I get.

Eh. It's not so hard. If I can do it...

Instead of Knoppix try Mepis if you want to have a complete Linux system,
running from a CD only, no hard disk required. If you really want to be
light and elegant, try Slax (www.slax.org), then you are flying and you
also have more time for tea.

JB