Alex Chaihorsky

Default Stamps on zisha (Yixing) chahu?

Guys -

Can anyone direct me to any source of information about the stamps (chops,
zhuan) on Yixing (and non-Yixing) zisha teapots (chahu).
All I know is there can be up to three of them - manufacturer on the bottom,
master's last name on the handle and master's given name inside the lid (all
but the bottom one can be omitted). Sometimes there is a number, not a
character for last name, as I have seen several times. Most of the time the
one on the handle is missing. I have one chahu where there are three stamps
inside the lid and not one on the handle.
I was also told that there can be two stamps on the bottom - one for the
quality of the zisha and one - manufacturer's.

However none of the above came from any "official" sources, so...
I am looking for a catalog (if there is one) of these stamps or for any info
on them. The language of the publication or a web site does not matter.

Thanks,

Sasha.

pb2q

Billy Mood is a good start:

http://www.terebess.hu/english/yixing1a.html

Look for "The Seal Chops of Zisha Teapots".

In particular note this bit:

"During the Cultural Revolution period from 1966 to 1976, potters were
not allowed to imprint their personal seals on teapots. To resolve the
problem of identifying the works after firing in cases of breakage or
deformity, numbers were used to identify each potter."'

Please share any other information that you come across in your search.

Patrick

Alex Chaihorsky

Excellent, thank you so very much.

Sasha.

"pb2q" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Billy Mood is a good start:
>
> http://www.terebess.hu/english/yixing1a.html
>
> Look for "The Seal Chops of Zisha Teapots".
>
> In particular note this bit:
>
> "During the Cultural Revolution period from 1966 to 1976, potters were
> not allowed to imprint their personal seals on teapots. To resolve the
> problem of identifying the works after firing in cases of breakage or
> deformity, numbers were used to identify each potter."'
>
> Please share any other information that you come across in your search.
>
> Patrick

1 in 6 Americans gets food stamps? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 37 13-07-2013 05:36 AM
Vegetarian Stars Featured on New U.S. Postage Stamps Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] Vegan 0 04-12-2011 08:14 AM
Yixing artists in SF(with pictures). Zisha demo and classes. Alex Chaihorsky Tea 0 23-03-2006 07:26 AM
zisha clay Barky Bark Tea 2 20-01-2006 01:36 AM
MAKE £5,000 WITH JUST £3 AND 6 STAMPS!! [email protected] General Cooking 0 25-07-2005 01:08 AM