Aloke Prasad

Default Wow! This is expensive stuff!!

I got 16 oz of Makaibari 1st flush (2005) from this place. They sent me a
small sampler of the following:

http://www.silvertipstea.com/Merchan...ry_Code=WT_IND

$101 for 8 oz! Great light brew with flowery aroma... but expensive!!!
--
Aloke
----

Doc Elder

Doing some rough calculations-- a bit shy of 227 grams to 8 oz., about 2.25
grams per cup--
that's about a buck a cup. Quite a bit more than I care to pay for an
everyday brew, but not drastically expensive for a little something special
if you particularly enjoy it.

Mind you, you can find some awfully nice tea for a fraction of that cost,
but the cost per cup isn't particularly dear compared to other beverages you
could drink. And when you start talking about teas that give three or four
infusions....the price per lb. has to go well over $150.00 before it becomes
as expensive per serving as the ubiquitous plastic bottles of cola or water
that get chugged down with scarcely a second thought by most everyone you
know.

I first did this exercise when my mom freaked at discovering what I was
paying for a Chun Mee a few years back. I was hoping to show it wasn't THAT
many times as expensive per cup than her grocery store coffee. It turned
out to be just a fraction.

-Doc

"Aloke Prasad" > wrote in message
>I got 16 oz of Makaibari 1st flush (2005) from this place. They sent me a
>small sampler of the following:
>
> http://www.silvertipstea.com/Merchan...ry_Code=WT_IND
>
> $101 for 8 oz! Great light brew with flowery aroma... but expensive!!!
> --
> Aloke
> ----
> to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com

Doug Hazen, Jr.

Upton has an apparently similar tea:
http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/ite...e=item&begin=0

for 2/3 the price. It's hard to tell if they are the "same" - Upton gives
the invoice number - but I've just tried this tea and it's pretty darn
good - one of the best Darjeelings I've had since the *last* Makaibari
Silver Tips I had, last year (from Rishi, who's long since been out).

Doug

"Aloke Prasad" > wrote in message
>I got 16 oz of Makaibari 1st flush (2005) from this place. They sent me a
>small sampler of the following:
>
> http://www.silvertipstea.com/Merchan...ry_Code=WT_IND
>
> $101 for 8 oz! Great light brew with flowery aroma... but expensive!!!
> --
> Aloke

Space Cowboy

It's the nickle and dime stuff that keeps me in the poor house. On a
recent trip to Chinatown I picked up a box of Wuyi rock tea for $4 and
at home discovered it was only 30g. And the shipping costs from China.

Jim