Ozzy

Default Unusual milks in Indian Tea

Hi all,

Some time ago I got a present -- 100% Organic non-pasturized cow's milk.
(It was gotten from a farm in upstate NY, where the farmer sold his cows'
yield retail to health enthusiasts, so it was probably as advertised.) I
used it rather quickly, as cautioned. It was wonderful, so I used it in my
spiced Assam, and the result improved nicely.

Later, I was talking with an Indian immigrant about milk and tea, he said
yes, the milk in the US may be healthier, but it is far less tasty and
satisfying than the milk he grew up drinking, His personal favorite for
spiced tea was Buffalo milk (the Indian domesticated buffalo, not the
American Bison).

I wonder if else in this group has had a pleasent experience drinking old-
fashioned or unusual milks in their tea? (I know there are a lot of Chinese
tea aficionados who wouldn't think of any such thing, and I respect that
point of view. In fact since going off dairy, I have come to appreciate many
Chinese teas that previously I didn't care for -- but sometimes still I brew
spiced Assam in the old way, but unsweetened Soy milk is not quite the same.
:-) )

Ozzy

danube

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:19:02 +0000, Ozzy wrote:

> I wonder if else in this group has had a pleasent experience drinking old-
> fashioned or unusual milks in their tea? (I know there are a lot of
> Chinese tea aficionados who wouldn't think of any such thing, and I
> respect that point of view. In fact since going off dairy, I have come to
> appreciate many Chinese teas that previously I didn't care for -- but
> sometimes still I brew spiced Assam in the old way, but unsweetened Soy
> milk is not quite the same.
> :-) )
>
> Ozzy

I have experienced tea in India and realised that they often simmer the
milk and tea in one pot for quite a while. This will change the taste of
both milk and tea.

JB
Michael Plant

Ozzy1119881942.a8471145d4e6791fb1f89db8d4914bde@1u senet6/27/05

> Hi all,
>
> Some time ago I got a present -- 100% Organic non-pasturized cow's milk.
> (It was gotten from a farm in upstate NY, where the farmer sold his cows'
> yield retail to health enthusiasts, so it was probably as advertised.) I
> used it rather quickly, as cautioned. It was wonderful, so I used it in my
> spiced Assam, and the result improved nicely.
>
> Later, I was talking with an Indian immigrant about milk and tea, he said
> yes, the milk in the US may be healthier, but it is far less tasty and
> satisfying than the milk he grew up drinking, His personal favorite for
> spiced tea was Buffalo milk (the Indian domesticated buffalo, not the
> American Bison).
>
> I wonder if else in this group has had a pleasent experience drinking old-
> fashioned or unusual milks in their tea? (I know there are a lot of Chinese
> tea aficionados who wouldn't think of any such thing, and I respect that
> point of view. In fact since going off dairy, I have come to appreciate many
> Chinese teas that previously I didn't care for -- but sometimes still I brew
> spiced Assam in the old way, but unsweetened Soy milk is not quite the same.
> :-) )
>
> Ozzy

Ozzy,

In India I drank buffalo milk in my tea as often as not, but have no stories
to tell regarding its betterness as compared to cow milk. What was
noteworthy, was the tea itself. It was a thick, dark, strong brew, repleat
with cinimin sticks, cardimum pods, clove buds -- at least I spelled clove
buds right -- and other miscellaneous spices. Strong, thick, hot, milky,
sweet with jagery, yummy. Let's here it for India. Yea!!!! Everyone wore
Dhoti (sp?) or Lunghi (sp?) depending on various factors. Nobody wore
anything western in the village except for the nearly obligatory long white
shirt, with or without collar, whose tails touched the knees, or nearly. But
from our topic we digress.

Enough.

I'm drinking Xi Hu Long Jing. It still has that unmistakable roasted duck
aroma -- the aroma all you cats miss, which just goes to show the caliber of
people I'm dealing with -- and some complexity. I'm not unhappy, although
I've drunk better in better years. Let us hope those better years resurface,
though I have some doubts.

Listening to Ecuadorian Indiginous music. This is good.

pilo_

In article >,
Michael Plant > wrote:

> I'm drinking Xi Hu Long Jing. It still has that unmistakable roasted duck
> aroma -- the aroma all you cats miss, which just goes to show the caliber of
> people I'm dealing with -- and some complexity. I'm not unhappy, although
> I've drunk better in better years. Let us hope those better years resurface,
> though I have some doubts.

What's your line or reasoning re the last sentence above? .....p*

danube

> Thanks, JB. I had forgotten in my previous post to add that the
> con/decoxion is boiled up to full strength. This, if anyone would like to
> try to replicate the brew, which I highly recommend, although cannot
> guarantee.
>
> Michael

I put the abence of any health problems in India down to this long boiling
of tea as well. Sometimes, during a long overnight train journey, this
safely boiled tea was the only refreshment to trust. But the best tea I
had up in the Highlands of Central India, as a wake-up cup, freshly brewed
without milk (or just a bit of normal cow's milk on the side), and a tasty
biscuit. I think that tea was a Darjeeling.

JB
Ozzy

Michael Plant > wrote in
:

> Ozzy,
>
> In India I drank buffalo milk in my tea as often as not, but have no
> stories to tell regarding its betterness as compared to cow milk. What
> was noteworthy, was the tea itself. It was a thick, dark, strong brew,
> repleat with cinimin sticks, cardimum pods, clove buds -- at least I
> spelled clove buds right -- and other miscellaneous spices. Strong,
> thick, hot, milky, sweet with jagery, yummy. Let's here it for India.
> Yea!!!! ...

Michael,

That's the stuff alright, with ginger & black pepper & ... Jaggery sugar!
Nothing like it; Turbinado is not in the same ball park. So hard to get the
crumbly kind in Indian stores where I live, it's usually all in one piece...

Ozzy
Michael Plant

Ozzy1120001880.6e21d3e92595d9a1c8db9fe731d06c82@1u senet6/28/05

> Michael Plant > wrote in
> :
>
>> Ozzy,
>>
>> In India I drank buffalo milk in my tea as often as not, but have no
>> stories to tell regarding its betterness as compared to cow milk. What
>> was noteworthy, was the tea itself. It was a thick, dark, strong brew,
>> repleat with cinimin sticks, cardimum pods, clove buds -- at least I
>> spelled clove buds right -- and other miscellaneous spices. Strong,
>> thick, hot, milky, sweet with jagery, yummy. Let's here it for India.
>> Yea!!!! ...

> Michael,
>
> That's the stuff alright, with ginger & black pepper & ... Jaggery sugar!
> Nothing like it; Turbinado is not in the same ball park. So hard to get the
> crumbly kind in Indian stores where I live, it's usually all in one piece...
>
> Ozzy

Ozzy,

Kalustians in NYC. I buy it from them and it crumbles. Anyway, a hammer will
do the trick.

Michael

Ozzy

Michael Plant > wrote in
:

> Ozzy,
>
> Kalustians in NYC. I buy it from them and it crumbles. Anyway, a hammer
> will do the trick.
>
> Michael

Haven't been there for a while -- thanks.

Ozzy

Unusual Tea Symonp05 Tea 2 23-09-2008 02:33 PM
Portrait Of India: Indian People, Indian Movies, Indian Recipes,India Festivals 88059355 General Cooking 0 20-01-2008 01:55 PM
Making soy and other milks by machine t8769 Vegetarian cooking 6 23-02-2007 01:17 PM
why so few non-dairy milks that taste like milk? magnulus Vegan 12 07-11-2004 05:01 PM
Milks, etc other than soy? Pete Knox Vegan 1 08-11-2003 06:02 PM