Mike Fulton

Default Teas I am currently drinking

Evening,

I thought that it would be fitting for me to start off my first
conversation into this tea connoisseur discussion with a list of teas
that I am currently drinking, in the hopes that people might be able to
provide me with information on labels and what not.

TEAS CURRENTLY IN MY TEA CHEST

Republic of Tea's Moroccan Mint - served clear or with a little sugar

After trying Twinings Gunpowder Green Tea, I decided to seek out this
blend after spotting it out in the store. Growing up on iced Bigalow's
Plantation Mint as a child, I gave this can a try a few months ago and
I absolutely loved it. While the brand is a bit trendy for my tastes,
they do make a fine cup of Moroccan Mint in the traditional style. I
have heard that Taylors of Harrogate makes a Moroccan Mint blend,
though it does not contain the gunpowder necessary to make it a
traditional mint tea of the African regions. I have therefore
designated it as a tisane. A bit of a change from the Genmaicha that I
have in sushi restaurants, I find it is starting to open up the world
of green tea for me.

Republic of Tea's Lapsang Souchong - served sometimes clear or with a
little milk

I must admit I am conflicted after being introduced to the bagged
Twinings blend. Lapsang Souchong is often considered my choice tea.
Each sip of good tasting Lapsang transports me to Boy Scout campfires,
and Christmas midnight masses with thuribles spewing incense. Another
"okay" blend, but certainly better than the Taylors of Harrogate
version, which left me with a migraine and bereft of the smoky aroma,
instead receiving something similar to wet cardboard. While I can
definately taste the burn, the aftertaste leaves me with cloves. I
drink this normally in the evenings or in the afternoons, the latter
with cucumber sandwiches.

Twinings Earl Grey (in bags) - Served with a little sugar

I am slowly beginning to move away from bagged tea to loose. However, I
don't know what it is, but for some reason this tea has a "soapy"
flavor to me. After constantly washing out my pot before using thinking
I was mixing dishwater with my E.G., I had to throw this in the trash.
Perhaps I should switch to a different brands or a loose tea?

Conclusion

Searching for my choice blend is a little like trying to find the Holy
Grail, a difficult process. Suggestions on brands, blends, or anything
else?

toci

You seem to feel comfortable with one particular brand. Why don't you
go to their website and see what other offerings they have? You might
want to look for some "plain" teas not mixed with other things, and
without milk or sweetener. Toci

in my opinion, good quality loose teas offer so much more than bag
teas. I suggest checking out your local tea store. If your an earl grey
fan, these ususally offer some good blends. Online vendors can also be
a good place to by, though I like being able to directly see and smell
the tea I'm buying. I think either of these options offer similar or
better quality than store brands, and almost always at a lower price,
even for very high quality teas. Judging by what you seem to like thus
far, you might want to dry an oolong like Ti Guan Yin, which I would
most certainly drink without anything added. Ask your local purveyor
for brewing instructions. I personally prefer a gaiwan of yixing tea
pot for brewing good tea, but these methods are overinvolved for some
people.

In the end, there are so many tea varieties of varying quality that you
could make it a serious hobby of exploring them, as I have. I wish you
the best of luck with your quest.

Nico

Lewis Perin

"Mike Fulton" > writes:

> [...]
>
> TEAS CURRENTLY IN MY TEA CHEST
>
> Republic of Tea's Moroccan Mint - served clear or with a little sugar

I'm guessing that if you live in the Northern Hemisphere it isn't hard
for you to find fresh mint these days. That granted, I think you
could have a much more vivid Moroccan mint tea experience by combining
some plain leaf (or Gunpowder) green tea - it almost doesn't matter
which one - with a sprig of fresh mint.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Eric Jorgensen

On 24 Jun 2005 11:41:58 -0400
Lewis Perin > wrote:

> "Mike Fulton" > writes:
>
> > [...]
> >
> > TEAS CURRENTLY IN MY TEA CHEST
> >
> > Republic of Tea's Moroccan Mint - served clear or with a little sugar

> I'm guessing that if you live in the Northern Hemisphere it isn't hard
> for you to find fresh mint these days. That granted, I think you
> could have a much more vivid Moroccan mint tea experience by combining
> some plain leaf (or Gunpowder) green tea - it almost doesn't matter
> which one - with a sprig of fresh mint.

Even more so in the mountain west, where it's been extremely wet this
year. My parents yard is being taken over by mint. As soon as i see two dry
days in a row I'm going to go harvest a bunch of it and hang it up to dry.

Lewis Perin

Eric Jorgensen > writes:

> On 24 Jun 2005 11:41:58 -0400
> Lewis Perin > wrote:
>
> > "Mike Fulton" > writes:
> >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > TEAS CURRENTLY IN MY TEA CHEST
> > >
> > > Republic of Tea's Moroccan Mint - served clear or with a little sugar

> > I'm guessing that if you live in the Northern Hemisphere it isn't hard
> > for you to find fresh mint these days. That granted, I think you
> > could have a much more vivid Moroccan mint tea experience by combining
> > some plain leaf (or Gunpowder) green tea - it almost doesn't matter
> > which one - with a sprig of fresh mint.

> Even more so in the mountain west, where it's been extremely wet this
> year. My parents yard is being taken over by mint. As soon as i see two dry
> days in a row I'm going to go harvest a bunch of it and hang it up to dry.

OK, but *please* use some of it fresh!

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Mike Fulton

My difficulty is just trying to find a good Lapsang Souchong. Not one
that tastes like cardboard, but a true Lapsang which will flare my
nostrils with smoke.

Mike Fulton

I will try that. I have some peppermint here in my garden, and I have
an extra tin of Twinings Gunpowder in the pantry. I'll give it a gander.

Eric Jorgensen

On 24 Jun 2005 14:00:09 -0400
Lewis Perin > wrote:

> Eric Jorgensen > writes:
>
> > Even more so in the mountain west, where it's been extremely wet this
> > year. My parents yard is being taken over by mint. As soon as i see two
> > dry days in a row I'm going to go harvest a bunch of it and hang it up
> > to dry.

> OK, but *please* use some of it fresh!

I find it doesn't steep as well when it's fresh, unless it's shredded or
macerated.

I also find that 3-year-old dried back-yard peppermint is still plenty
strong, but that's just me.

Some finely sliced hairs of fresh mint tossed with sliced strawberries
and sugar has a thoroughly unique flavor, though. It's one of those things
that you can't describe. It's like trying to explain what fresh pineapple
tastes like to someone who's never had it.
toci

Well, neither Earl Grey nor Lapsang Souchong is my cup of tea.
However, I do like and trust Upton Tea, and they have half a dozen of
each. You can buy one dollar samples to compare them, and read reviews
by people who have bought them. Toci

pilo_

Have you tried Hu-Kwa? It's an excellent
lapsang, available he

http://www.marktwendell.com/

(no affiliation, bla bla bla...)
Mike Fulton

No, but I might actually take a look at it. I have heard good things
about it, as well as bad (from those who swear up and down on Upton's).
I like Republic of Tea's Lapsang Souchong better than Taylors (which
tastes like wet cardboard and gave me a migraine to boot). I wish there
were some good vendors here in Houston, though.

pilo_

In article . com>,
"Mike Fulton" > wrote:

> No, but I might actually take a look at it. I have heard good things
> about it, as well as bad (from those who swear up and down on Upton's).
> I like Republic of Tea's Lapsang Souchong better than Taylors (which
> tastes like wet cardboard and gave me a migraine to boot). I wish there
> were some good vendors here in Houston, though.

i love hu-kwa - it has the weight of history behind it,
which appeals to me, and it's a great cup of tea on
a wintery day. terrific aroma. some people just
don't like lapsang.
Scott Dorsey

Mike Fulton > wrote:
>My difficulty is just trying to find a good Lapsang Souchong. Not one
>that tastes like cardboard, but a true Lapsang which will flare my
>nostrils with smoke.

The absolute best I have had is Harrod's _Tarry Souchong_, but I don't
think it's available in the US.

Surprisingly good is the Lapsang Souchong from First Colony Coffee and
Tea in Norfolk. Colonial Williamsburg resells it at a somewhat inflated
price, but it has a good smoky flavour that still lets the tea taste
through.
--scott

Mike Fulton

I have to say that I am adversed to Earl Grey at this point. I have
tried both Bigelow's and Tazo's Earl Grey, and these two tend to pack
much more bergamot than Twinings. I have not yet tried RoT's Earl
Greyer, but something tells me I might as well drink a bottle of Aqua
Velva instead.

I cannot resign myself to being a fan of this particular blend because
of its perfume-like aroma. With every sip I feel like I am guzzling Eau
de Cologne. I am a college student, and with that said I am attached to
all the qualities therein. So I am looking for both quality and
affordability.

I guess I tend to like the dark, mellow tones. Not so much tannic
taste, but some kind of substance I cannot quite put my finger on. With
that in mind, if I like L.S., I presume I should try an Assam or a
Darjeeling, eh? Maybe Prince of Wales?

Also, I hear that weather and climate can manipulate the palate. Living
in Texas Hill Country, I am subject to hot, humid summers, chilly
winters, and temperate autumns and springs.

kuri

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message

(about mint)

> I find it doesn't steep as well when it's fresh, unless it's shredded

or
> macerated.

The taste is different when it's dried. Infused dry mint tastes like mint
tisane, infused fresh mint + green tea + lots of sugar tastes like mint tea.
I roughly cut and pound it before putting it in the pot. Well you're free to
prefer the tisane.
BTW, I'm finishing my mint tonight. I'm going away for a week and the rainy
season is so dry this year that my balcony's herb garden will probably dry
up in my absence.

Kuri

kuri

"Mike Fulton" > wrote in message

> I will try that. I have some peppermint here in my garden,

For Morrocan mint tea, grow *nana* mint, and if you can't get some spear
mint.

Kuri

Eric Jorgensen

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 20:50:07 +0900
"kuri" > wrote:

> "Mike Fulton" > wrote in message
>
> > I will try that. I have some peppermint here in my garden,

> For Morrocan mint tea, grow *nana* mint, and if you can't get some spear
> mint.

fwiw, most home-grown and wild peppermint doesn't have anywhere near the
potency of the commercially grown stuff. I hear that a walk through the
peppermint storage room at the Celestial Seasonings factory will clear your
sinuses.

kuri

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message

> > For Morrocan mint tea, grow *nana* mint, and if you can't, get some

spear
> > mint.

I meant that the North-African drink was "not pepper-mint" but another sort
of mint. For me the difference of taste between the different mints is huge,
much bigger than that of the green teas added to it.

> fwiw, most home-grown and wild peppermint doesn't have anywhere near

the
> potency of the commercially grown stuff.

Not for a gardener at my level : I buy the pot of mint already
(commercially) grown. I don't know well what makes the differences of
potency, there is the same phenomenon for *hot/mild* peppers, I guess the
quality of ground and amount of sun matter a lot. You can compensate by
using more leaves.

Kuri

Mydnight

Ok, I know I posted this before with limited replies, but could someone
please tell me WTF lapsang souchong is? More precisely, what is the
translation or the pinyin of the tea in Mandarian; not a
transliteration.

What class does it belong to? Reds....wulongs?

Lewis Perin

"Mydnight" > writes:

> Ok, I know I posted this before with limited replies, but could someone
> please tell me WTF lapsang souchong is? More precisely, what is the
> translation or the pinyin of the tea in Mandarian; not a
> transliteration.

Zheng Shan Xiao Zhong

> What class does it belong to? Reds....wulongs?

Reds, pine-smoked division

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
fLameDogg

"Mike Fulton" > wrote in news:1119674461.091030.233380
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> I guess I tend to like the dark, mellow tones. Not so much tannic
> taste, but some kind of substance I cannot quite put my finger on. With
> that in mind, if I like L.S., I presume I should try an Assam or a
> Darjeeling, eh? Maybe Prince of Wales?

I like Assam a lot. It tends to be malty and strong. Sometimes the flavor
gets a bit "uninteresting" and I move to Keemun or to a particular Nilgiri
I like (Nonsuch Estate). Those are my `big three' black teas currently.

I also like to blend two of the three together, depending upon my mood.

Try a Keemun for sure. And give it a few tries. It did not grab me right
away, but I absolutely love it now, alone or blended.

I'm not sure, based on your comments (dark, mellow, not so much tannic
taste) whether you would enjoy Darjeelings or Nilgiris, but who knows?

NB: I'm very much a novice at tea.

--
fD