Space Cowboy

I wasn't replying too you.

Jim

Mike Petro wrote:
> On 22 Jun 2005 07:39:53 -0700, "Space Cadet" >
> wrote:
>
> >When a guy pops in the group selling stuff and says trust me, yeah
> >right. Commercial advertising in this group is prohibited.

> When have I ever offered a single thing for sale on this or any other
> newsgroup Jim? Show me the post, you can't because it doesnt exist,
> you are twisting the truth yet once again.

Mike Petro

Rebecca Ore wrote:

> He's a crank on the subject of you and you're beginning to jump at
> anything he posts. Not seeing what he's saying might be helpful.

You are right on both accounts. My bad.... Sorry. After a while one
becomes tired of being publicy slammed all the time and I have become
somewhat sensitive to his malarky over the years.

Mike

Space Cowboy

Thank God for Google archiving the public record and your public record
speaks for itself. Is that the post where you stole my use of the
Rosetta Stone first claiming it was public domain then changed the
story and said you couldn't have known about my first use of it when
you were an active poster at the time proving you an intellectual thief
and bare face liar. Is that the post about advertising your
infomercial website endorsed by commercial interests directing people
to sites with shopping carts in violation of the group Charter
prohibiting commercial posts proving you a huckster. Is that the post
where you were given meaningful solutions to obtain feedback about your
website without bothering us here proving you a pimp. Is that the post
where you led the charge to rip a website because feedback for that
site was appearing here under the guise of their message board traffic
proving you a hypocrite. For any new would be vendors posting under
the guise of a public service announcement there is a forum on Yahoo
where all the vendors gather and stroke each other. If you want to
support someone pick one that doesn't bother us here. And when push
comes to shove this guy doesn't know pu from his own poo poo.

Jim

Mike Petro wrote:
....bit mites...
> Don't pay much attention to the exchanges between Space Cadet (Cowboy)
> and myself. He has attacked me with a vengeance ever since I opened A
> website a year and a half ago that teaches people about puerh. My site
> is non-commercial and I don't sell anything at all, not even
> advertising, however I do provide links to every online resource I can
> find. He is determined to insult it and me anyway he can. Just search
> out the "Poo Poo Puerh" thread dated Feb 14th 2004 and you will see
> what I mean. Its all a matter of public record.

Mike Petro

Space Cadet wrote:
> Thank God for Google archiving the public record and your public record
> speaks for itself.

Yes , my record DOES speak for itself Jim, and my only shame is
repeatedly falling prey to Trolls.

<psychotic logic sniped>

Once again I am getting negative feedback for even responding to your
posts. I suggest we both just ignore each other since this gets us
nowhere. I, for one, will do my best to hold up my part.

Mike

Space Cowboy

Is that the post when you run out of excuses you accuse me of being a
troll proving you are a coward. Now you're hiding behind negative
feedback which is a new tact. Before I would get the KILLFILE or
PLONK. Is that the post where I can't run you off proving you a SOB.
Is that the post where I bring out the worst in you proving you're a
sociopath. Is that the post where I'm spreading misinformation proving
you disingenuous. The adjectives keep piling up. Is that the post
where somebody jumps in the middle of this and says ENOUGH till the
next time. You can't hold up your pants.

Jim

Mike Petro wrote:
> Space Cadet wrote:
> > Thank God for Google archiving the public record and your public record
> > speaks for itself.

> Yes , my record DOES speak for itself Jim, and my only shame is
> repeatedly falling prey to Trolls.
>
> <psychotic logic sniped>
>
> Once again I am getting negative feedback for even responding to your
> posts. I suggest we both just ignore each other since this gets us
> nowhere. I, for one, will do my best to hold up my part.
>
> Mike

Mike Petro

"Space Cowboy" > wrote:

>Is that the post when you <insert flame here>

Actually this is the post where I go back to talking about tea.

In the past 2 weeks I have received over 58kg worth of puerh from
several of our fine brethren in the East. Amongst them are 82
different kinds of puerh including 7 different types of Bamboo puerh,
15 different bingchas, 3 different types of brick puerh, some
mushroom, fangcha, 5 types of tuocha, 5 types of loose, some golden
melon, some pomelo, and an assortment of regular Chinese reds, blacks,
and greens.

I am now quite busy photographing, cataloging, brewing, and tasting
all of these fine specimens. Many of them will need some aging before
they are ready for prime time, however, there are also many that are
quite tasty right now and I have not even made it half way through
them yet.

Much of this is destined for friends and/or gifts, the rest is for my
collection. My personal style is to buy at least 2 of every cake I
intend to age. One is kept pristine and allowed to age for 20 years or
so, the other is sampled every year so that I can experience the cakes
as they mature. IMHO this is the best way to learn about puerh, you
can read all the books, read the newsgroups, talk to a bunch of Tea
Masters (which is sure to confuse you even further since no 2 of them
agree on anything), talk to all of the vendors, and even tour China,
but there is no better way to learn puerh than to develop your own
collection of "taste memories". Hehe, good notes help too.

BTW, I use about 6 different yixing pots that are each dedicated to a
different genre of puerh. Every one of them came from an online vendor
residing in China. (Just to get back on topic somewhat)

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
"In this work, when it shall be found that much is omitted, let it not be forgotten that much likewise is performed."
Samuel Johnson, 1775, upon finishing his dictionary.
Melinda

Yeah Michael, if Sasha were ever (as I know he wouldn't, this is teasing) to
show up at my door with a gung fu pot and some Bai Hao...I'd know ALL about
what he was up to. Yep. Can't fool me now.

Melinda

--
"I know. You know I know. I know you know I know. We know Henry knows,
and Henry knows we know it."

We're a knowledgeable family." ::smiles:: -Geoffrey, Lion in Winter
"Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> Alex .com6/20/05
>

>> "Lewis Perin" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> I'm having trouble thinking of a way to complete this sentence to make
>>> it true. Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> /Lew

>> My suggestion :
>> "Most people don't even realize that GongFuCha is the only way to
>> actually"
>> reliably seduce women for less than $5.00 with unparalleled success
>> statistics.

> Well, Sasha, now that you let the cat out of the bag -- so to speak --
> I'll
> just pack up my marbles and go home.
>
> Michael

Alex Chaihorsky

Well, well, well... Some naive souls would not see a hidden invitation here
but an old Don Juan like myself... Hmmm... Bai Hao, you are saying...
And Melinda - I promise, Henry would never know anything. You know that
and I know you know...

Sasha.

"Melinda" > wrote in message
> Yeah Michael, if Sasha were ever (as I know he wouldn't, this is teasing)
> to show up at my door with a gung fu pot and some Bai Hao...I'd know ALL
> about what he was up to. Yep. Can't fool me now.
>
> Melinda
>
> --
> "I know. You know I know. I know you know I know. We know Henry knows,
> and Henry knows we know it."
>
> We're a knowledgeable family." ::smiles:: -Geoffrey, Lion in Winter
> "Michael Plant" > wrote in message
>> Alex .com6/20/05

>>> My suggestion :
>>> "Most people don't even realize that GongFuCha is the only way to
>>> actually"
>>> reliably seduce women for less than $5.00 with unparalleled success
>>> statistics.

>> Well, Sasha, now that you let the cat out of the bag -- so to speak --
>> I'll
>> just pack up my marbles and go home.
>>
>> Michael

Michael Plant

[Mike Petro]
> BTW, I use about 6 different yixing pots that are each dedicated to a
> different genre of puerh. Every one of them came from an online vendor
> residing in China. (Just to get back on topic somewhat)

[Michael]
I'm really interested in this as I have two teapots dedicated to Pu'erh, one
to cooked, and one to young uncooked. The old uncooked Pu'erhs I drink from
gaiwans only. Please tell us your breakdown and how you arrived at it. I
have YiXings for different types of tea, but it hadn't occurred to me to
have multiples for Pu'erh.

Space Cowboy

Almost by definition there were no expensive teas in Chinatown for the
consumer. Chinatown did have a selection but if money is burning a
hole in your pocket you'd shop elsewhere. If I've learned any thing
about tea there is no correlation between price and taste. From the
seventies till the mid nineties tea turnover was flat ie something new
you hadn't seen before. In the past five years selection has increased
many fold along with the price. The nicest surprise are Taiwan teas.
I was so impressed by a commercial A-Li-Shan and DongDing I cleared the
shelves which wasn't cheap at $10/100g. This is the first tea I
decided I couldn't live without. If I ever know when I drink my last
cup of tea this will be it. I'm starting to ponder those type of
questions now. I understand the tremendous variety of tea and the
search for another cup. When people present the case tea is greener on
the other side of the fence I remind them of what is on this side.
Chinatown is behind the eight ball on puerh. However if I understand
the argument correctly the middle class on this side of the Pacific
will want their share. Any part of the tea culture(s) stands on it's
own and I think the comparison to other activities just doesn't mean
much. My Chinatown has a cheap LiuAn which will cost you more from
anywhere else. If I'm looking for a Bentley I'll find someone who took
it in trade for a MiniCooper.

Jim

Michael Plant wrote:
> Space 6/22/05

....I delete me...
> Jim,
>
> Of course I agree with you on the Chinatown thing, but as for the better and
> best Pu'erhs, think of it this way: Could you walk into to any car dealer
> and pick up a Bentley? No. You'd have to go pretty far out of your way. So
> it is with Pu'erh. You can get reasonably good Pu'erh in any Chinatown, but
> for the truly good stuff, you need to range further out. After all, the
> average Chinese living in your area is no more likely to appreciate or buy
> excellent Pu'erh than the average Gringo is likely to.....well, don't get me
> started.
>
> If you find the point to my comments above, please share them with me.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Michael

Space Cowboy

So your approach to tea is one upmanship. When you have a fire sale
let me know.

Jim

pilo_

In article .com>,
"Mike Petro" > wrote:

> You are right on both accounts. My bad.... Sorry. After a while one
> becomes tired of being publicy slammed all the time and I have become
> somewhat sensitive to his malarky over the years.

I agree with the killfile idea - I've had him in
mine for some time now, although his bile
still oozes in from time to time in other
posts. Why is this guy so obsessed with
you, anyway? It's sociopathic. And weird.
Mike Petro

Michael Plant wrote:
> [Mike Petro]
> > BTW, I use about 6 different yixing pots that are each dedicated to a
> > different genre of puerh. Every one of them came from an online vendor
> > residing in China. (Just to get back on topic somewhat)

> [Michael]
> I'm really interested in this as I have two teapots dedicated to Pu'erh, one
> to cooked, and one to young uncooked. The old uncooked Pu'erhs I drink from
> gaiwans only. Please tell us your breakdown and how you arrived at it. I
> have YiXings for different types of tea, but it hadn't occurred to me to
> have multiples for Pu'erh.

Well here is the spread and my reasoning.

1) A cool artistic wood-like pot for everyday Shu Puerh. Obtained from
Michael Ryan. It is my second favorite pot so I use it on my second
most consumed tea.
2) A pot-bellied version of that same pot for well aged Shu Puerh.
Obtained from Michael Ryan. Not sure that it matters or not but 20 year
old Shu puerhs get their own pot.
3) A traditional styled wide bellied pot for everyday Sheng Puerh, I
got this one from a friend in Kunming, it is the best pot I own hence I
dedicated it to the puerh I drink the most. It has the fastest, most
perfect, pour of any pot I own. The clay is allegedly zhuni grade B and
it is the work of a known Pottery Master's shop although not made by
the Master himself.
4) A pot that looks very similar to #3 but does not function nearly as
well, it doesn't pour as well and it clogs easily. I use it for
adolescent Sheng Puerh, that is puerh in the 10-18 year range. It is
sufficiently different enough from young sheng but is still nowhere
near as smooth as well aged.
5) A small pot not much bigger than a walnut, about 40ml, that I used
for aged puer 20 years+. I got this one from Jing Teashop, while it is
not a Master potters work by any means it is perfect for those very
expensive aged puerhs. Just the right size to get good steeps out of
2-3g of leaf.
6) I have another pot that I got from James Bana at Pu-erhtea.com that
I use for Bamboo Puerhs. They are different enough to warrant their own
pot.

Mike

Melinda

I'm glad Henry will never know anything becasue I really really really HATE
being locked in towers...

I thought that Bai Hao would get your attention, lolol......

Melinda

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
news
> Well, well, well... Some naive souls would not see a hidden invitation
> here but an old Don Juan like myself... Hmmm... Bai Hao, you are saying...
> And Melinda - I promise, Henry would never know anything. You know that
> and I know you know...
>
> Sasha.
>

> "Melinda" > wrote in message
>> Yeah Michael, if Sasha were ever (as I know he wouldn't, this is teasing)
>> to show up at my door with a gung fu pot and some Bai Hao...I'd know ALL
>> about what he was up to. Yep. Can't fool me now.
>>
>> Melinda

Alex Chaihorsky

Melinda,
It did
Next time I am in NY and hopefully see Michael, DogMa and Lew, we shall all
get together and do a seduction GongFu orgy and you will be the judge.
Wouldn't that be G-orgeous?

Sasha.

"Melinda" > wrote in message
> I'm glad Henry will never know anything becasue I really really really
> HATE being locked in towers...
>
> I thought that Bai Hao would get your attention, lolol......
>
> Melinda
>

> "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
> news
>> Well, well, well... Some naive souls would not see a hidden invitation
>> here but an old Don Juan like myself... Hmmm... Bai Hao, you are
>> saying...
>> And Melinda - I promise, Henry would never know anything. You know
>> that and I know you know...
>>
>> Sasha.
>>

>> "Melinda" > wrote in message
>>> Yeah Michael, if Sasha were ever (as I know he wouldn't, this is
>>> teasing) to show up at my door with a gung fu pot and some Bai Hao...I'd
>>> know ALL about what he was up to. Yep. Can't fool me now.
>>>
>>> Melinda

Michael Plant

[Jim, discussing his Chinatown tea buying experience in general]

snip

> If I've learned any thing
> about tea there is no correlation between price and taste.

snip

On that we can all -- or most of us -- agree. I'm drinking a *very* pleasant
Bian Cha at the moment, and although I don't know its precise price, I know
it was in the lower rather than the higher realms. The tea has complexity,
it has subtlety, it has taste and aroma, it has style, and it's nicely made.
My groping through samples of this year's much discussed Long Jings seem to
support your contention as well.

Nonetheless, There are teas out there that are truly rare, truly wonderful,
and truly expensive. Ultimately, it's all a matter of taste and style, eh?
Besides, in Chinatown you get to pour over hundreds of pretty tea boxes with
pastoral scenes and pretty ladies pointing at tea leaves with that come
hither look. But, from our main purpose I digress. Let me stop while I'm
ahead.

Michael

Michael Plant

Mike 6/23/05

> Michael Plant wrote:
>> [Mike Petro]
>>> BTW, I use about 6 different yixing pots that are each dedicated to a
>>> different genre of puerh. Every one of them came from an online vendor
>>> residing in China. (Just to get back on topic somewhat)

>> [Michael]
>> I'm really interested in this as I have two teapots dedicated to Pu'erh, one
>> to cooked, and one to young uncooked. The old uncooked Pu'erhs I drink from
>> gaiwans only. Please tell us your breakdown and how you arrived at it. I
>> have YiXings for different types of tea, but it hadn't occurred to me to
>> have multiples for Pu'erh.

> Well here is the spread and my reasoning.
>
> 1) A cool artistic wood-like pot for everyday Shu Puerh. Obtained from
> Michael Ryan. It is my second favorite pot so I use it on my second
> most consumed tea.

And a mighty fine pot it is too. You will recall that I saw it last year.
The pictures on Ryan's site made it look stupid -- to me, folks; a personal
opinion here -- but in the flesh, -- or should I say in the clay -- it
looked just right, and I like it.

> 2) A pot-bellied version of that same pot for well aged Shu Puerh.
> Obtained from Michael Ryan. Not sure that it matters or not but 20 year
> old Shu puerhs get their own pot.

Hmmmmmmm. Perhaps. Perhaps not. I no longer bother with 20 year old shu poos
unless I get a sample.

> 3) A traditional styled wide bellied pot for everyday Sheng Puerh, I
> got this one from a friend in Kunming, it is the best pot I own hence I
> dedicated it to the puerh I drink the most. It has the fastest, most
> perfect, pour of any pot I own. The clay is allegedly zhuni grade B and
> it is the work of a known Pottery Master's shop although not made by
> the Master himself.

Pictures, please. I'll bet they are alreasdy on your web site. Just point
the way.

> 4) A pot that looks very similar to #3 but does not function nearly as
> well, it doesn't pour as well and it clogs easily. I use it for
> adolescent Sheng Puerh, that is puerh in the 10-18 year range. It is
> sufficiently different enough from young sheng but is still nowhere
> near as smooth as well aged.

Ah, so you actually have an adolescent Sheng pot. That's the one I probably
miss, although, up to now, I've been using a gaiwan for these.

> 5) A small pot not much bigger than a walnut, about 40ml, that I used
> for aged puer 20 years+. I got this one from Jing Teashop, while it is
> not a Master potters work by any means it is perfect for those very
> expensive aged puerhs. Just the right size to get good steeps out of
> 2-3g of leaf.

That's what I'm looking for, and unfortunately haven't found as yet. Could
we see pictures, and/or could you describe it further? I think, of all the
vendors, Jing Tea Shop has what are for me the best gaiwans, far and away.
Seb if you're listening, save me two of those new ones with the fisher
fellow in cobalt blue, as well as a couple cups of the same size I had
ordered from you previously. [Buried message here to see if Seb and Jing
read my brilliant interspersions on rfdt.]

> 6) I have another pot that I got from James Bana at Pu-erhtea.com that
> I use for Bamboo Puerhs. They are different enough to warrant their own
> pot.

On that topic, regarding the latest canes we've been talking about and
exploring elsewhere, could you talk more about the "bamboo" quality, which,
it struck me soundly a couple days ago, was a *very* powerful element. If
that was in fact the case, I'm not sure I'm all that fond of a "bamboo"
taste component other than the quieter, less intrusive, and more integrated
and balanced versions. What say you?

Michael

SEb

[Michael]
Seb if you're listening, save me two of those new ones with the fisher
fellow in cobalt blue, as well as a couple cups of the same size I had
ordered from you previously. [Buried message here to see if Seb and
Jing
read my brilliant interspersions on rfdt.]

[Seb & Jing]
And we are, we like this forum very much, it is one place full of life!
Small Yixing...saw one today, clay is good (tiao sha zi ni) and
craftmanship is ok. One thing though, it is a traditional yixing
teapot, which means no screen. Probably 60 to 70cc. Will have to check
later if you are interested.

About the Gaiwan...done. Could you remind me about the cups, are those
the one that are "very flat and with the mouth very opened"?

SEb

Melinda

<much snippage>

Hey on that topic I have a quesiton-what is meant by the "bamboo" quality?
Because I ahve a bamboo puer from David Hoffman (packed in a bamboo tube)
and I can't pick out a "bamboo-ness"...can you elaborate (whomever) on what
you mean and what I should look for? Shoul a bamboo shu taste as different
from a non-bamboo shu and a shu does from a sheng for instance?

Very interesting.

Melinda

>> Michael Plant wrote:

>> 6) I have another pot that I got from James Bana at Pu-erhtea.com that
>> I use for Bamboo Puerhs. They are different enough to warrant their own
>> pot.

> On that topic, regarding the latest canes we've been talking about and
> exploring elsewhere, could you talk more about the "bamboo" quality,
> which,
> it struck me soundly a couple days ago, was a *very* powerful element. If
> that was in fact the case, I'm not sure I'm all that fond of a "bamboo"
> taste component other than the quieter, less intrusive, and more
> integrated
> and balanced versions. What say you?
>
> Michael

Melinda

"Michael Plant" > wrote in message

> Nonetheless, There are teas out there that are truly rare, truly
> wonderful,
> and truly expensive. Ultimately, it's all a matter of taste and style, eh?
> Besides, in Chinatown you get to pour over hundreds of pretty tea boxes
> with
> pastoral scenes and pretty ladies pointing at tea leaves with that come
> hither look. But, from our main purpose I digress. Let me stop while I'm
> ahead.
>
> Michael

I want a teabox with a pretty guy on it with a come-hither look..if anyone
sees one let me know, ok? ;D

Melinda

Mike Petro

[Mike Petro]
>> In my limited experience the market value of puerh is based on several
>> factors:
>>
>> 1) The factories reputation
>> 2) The production recipe used
>> 3) How well the cake was stored
>> 4) The quality of production that year
>> 5) The quantity of the crop in the given year
>> 6) The reputation for that particular vintage/recipe.
>> 7) Other factors such as limited edition batches etc
>> 8) What the market will bear......

[Michael Plant]
>It would be fascinating to perform a *weighted* average calculation
>on your list. I'd place 50% of the weight on eight.

[Mike Petro]
In the USA market I would agree with you. In the better Eastern shops
the first 7 carry a lot more weight than they do here.
Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
"In this work, when it shall be found that much is omitted, let it not be forgotten that much likewise is performed."
Samuel Johnson, 1775, upon finishing his dictionary.
Mike Petro

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:16:01 GMT, Michael Plant >
wrote:

>On that topic, regarding the latest canes we've been talking about and
>exploring elsewhere, could you talk more about the "bamboo" quality, which,
>it struck me soundly a couple days ago, was a *very* powerful element. If
>that was in fact the case, I'm not sure I'm all that fond of a "bamboo"
>taste component other than the quieter, less intrusive, and more integrated
>and balanced versions. What say you?

Regarding the "Bamboo component" I have found a very wide range of
noticeable flavor. The handmade nature of these teas seems to lend
itself to wide variations even within a given brand. I have
experienced everything from an almost perfume like thick fragrance to
a barely noticeable hint of something extra. For what its worth I
prefer a light influence on my sheng puerhs but a heavier influence on
my shu puerhs. The characteristics I associate with the "bamboo
component" are likened to grass, hay, and hints of grain.

Michael, the last batch of bamboo canes we shared was an anomaly in my
opinion. It seemed more like a heavily roasted oolong than a puerh to
me, albeit still tasty it was not typical.

The one noticeable exception to the variable consistency issue is the
larger diameter Menghai brand Dai Nationality puerh. The product is
very consistent from what I have seen. The Bamboo component is light
with the emphasis being on a sheng qualities rather than bamboo
fragrance. This one always comes removed from the bamboo cane and is
about 3 inches (6-7cm) in diameter. Seldom do you actually see the
Menghai label,look for it when you can, you can see an example at
http://www.teayn.com/teashop/product.asp?id=520

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
"In this work, when it shall be found that much is omitted, let it not be forgotten that much likewise is performed."
Samuel Johnson, 1775, upon finishing his dictionary.
Mike Petro

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:27:35 -0700, "Melinda" >
wrote:

>Hey on that topic I have a quesiton-what is meant by the "bamboo" quality?
>Because I ahve a bamboo puer from David Hoffman (packed in a bamboo tube)
>and I can't pick out a "bamboo-ness"...can you elaborate (whomever) on what
>you mean and what I should look for? Shoul a bamboo shu taste as different
>from a non-bamboo shu and a shu does from a sheng for instance?

Hi Melinda, also see my other post this morning that talks about the
"bamboo component". The genre covers a wide range of teas. There is a
big difference between teas wrapped and stored in bamboo versus teas
compressed directly in bamboo and left there.

Yes, you can indeed tell the difference between a bamboo sheng versus
a regular sheng if the component is strong enough. I generally don't
taste that component in the teas that are simply compressed and then
stored in bamboo containers. The component is much more noticeable in
the teas compressed directly into a bamboo cane and allowed to age
there. I have tasted some shu bamboo canes where the component was
very strong, and pleasurable, but it was the type directly compressed
and stored in the cane.

I have seen and tasted those so-called smoked-pipe bamboo, the ones
where a stack of tablets is wrapped in paper and stored inside of a
bamboo tube with a removable cap, some descriptions claim it to be
compressed in bamboo and extracted and sliced. I don't buy that
description. If you inspect those tablets closely you will see that
the leaves are not sliced or broken on the surface, the leaves on the
surface are whole, they are clearly compressed into that tablet shape
much like the mini-tuocha. I have my doubts that they ever saw bamboo
before being packaged and stored.

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
"In this work, when it shall be found that much is omitted, let it not be forgotten that much likewise is performed."
Samuel Johnson, 1775, upon finishing his dictionary.

Alex Chaihorsky

"Mike Petro" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:27:35 -0700, "Melinda" >
> wrote:
>
>>Hey on that topic I have a quesiton-what is meant by the "bamboo" quality?
>>Because I ahve a bamboo puer from David Hoffman (packed in a bamboo tube)
>>and I can't pick out a "bamboo-ness"...can you elaborate (whomever) on
>>what
>>you mean and what I should look for? Shoul a bamboo shu taste as different
>>from a non-bamboo shu and a shu does from a sheng for instance?

> Hi Melinda, also see my other post this morning that talks about the
> "bamboo component". The genre covers a wide range of teas. There is a
> big difference between teas wrapped and stored in bamboo versus teas
> compressed directly in bamboo and left there.
>
> Yes, you can indeed tell the difference between a bamboo sheng versus
> a regular sheng if the component is strong enough. I generally don't
> taste that component in the teas that are simply compressed and then
> stored in bamboo containers. The component is much more noticeable in
> the teas compressed directly into a bamboo cane and allowed to age
> there. I have tasted some shu bamboo canes where the component was
> very strong, and pleasurable, but it was the type directly compressed
> and stored in the cane.
>
> I have seen and tasted those so-called smoked-pipe bamboo, the ones
> where a stack of tablets is wrapped in paper and stored inside of a
> bamboo tube with a removable cap, some descriptions claim it to be
> compressed in bamboo and extracted and sliced. I don't buy that
> description.

Absolutely. bamboo is NEVER perfectly round inside - always elliptical. If
you fill bamboo with tea it will take the shape of internal hollow of
bamboo- you will be able to see many features like grooves and such on the
surface of such tea. Such tablets are always perfectly round, though.

If you inspect those tablets closely you will see that
> the leaves are not sliced or broken on the surface, the leaves on the
> surface are whole, they are clearly compressed into that tablet shape
> much like the mini-tuocha. I have my doubts that they ever saw bamboo
> before being packaged and stored.

I agree. To slice such a tad cylinder would be an enourmous waste of tea
during slicing.

Sasha.

> Mike Petro
> http://www.pu-erh.net
> "In this work, when it shall be found that much is omitted, let it not be
> forgotten that much likewise is performed."
> Samuel Johnson, 1775, upon finishing his dictionary.

Michael Plant

[Mike Petro]
> Regarding the "Bamboo component" I have found a very wide range of
> noticeable flavor. The handmade nature of these teas seems to lend
> itself to wide variations even within a given brand. I have
> experienced everything from an almost perfume like thick fragrance to
> a barely noticeable hint of something extra. For what its worth I
> prefer a light influence on my sheng puerhs but a heavier influence on
> my shu puerhs. The characteristics I associate with the "bamboo
> component" are likened to grass, hay, and hints of grain.
>
> Michael, the last batch of bamboo canes we shared was an anomaly in my
> opinion. It seemed more like a heavily roasted oolong than a puerh to
> me, albeit still tasty it was not typical.

[Michael]
Thanks Mike, that's interesting and good to know. My experience with these
teas is more or less limited to two I'd gotten from Silk Road Teas (David
Hoffman) a year or two ago, and a couple samples sent to me by vendors, one
that Rick sent awhile back, and the canes we've shared. My favorite was
David's because it is most subtle, wherein the bamboo quality integrates
into the total picture more gently. Adding to my previoius description in
another post -- "flower-reedy," I think your "perfume like thick fragrance"
could also be said. I think we're getting to the bottom of it. Thanks too
for the pictures.

snip

Michael

Rick Chappell

Melinda > wrote:
> Hey on that topic I have a quesiton-what is meant by the "bamboo" quality?
> Because I ahve a bamboo puer from David Hoffman (packed in a bamboo tube)
> and I can't pick out a "bamboo-ness"...can you elaborate (whomever) on what
> you mean and what I should look for? Shoul a bamboo shu taste as different
> from a non-bamboo shu and a shu does from a sheng for instance?

I have one whose bamboo flavor is unmistakable. I own several bamboo
flutes, so have spent much of my life French-kissing the material, but
even so do not think that anyone else can miss it. Think bamboo
shoots. But there appears to be wide variability in these teas. I
get the feeling that they are manufactured in "unregulated
conditions", meaning out in the country around a campfire. Friends
and I have found several tubes in the same shipment to vary wildly in
taste, smell and appearance.

Best,

Rick.

Scott Dorsey

Melinda > wrote:
>I want a teabox with a pretty guy on it with a come-hither look..if anyone
>sees one let me know, ok? ;D

I would be _very_ surprised if you couldn't get such a thing in Bangkok.
You might have problems finding a pretty guy with clothes on, though.
--scott

Melinda

Clothing can be optional, I'm flexible, LMAO!

(OK, I'll stop now, lol...)

Melinda

P.S. Speaking of Bangkok...can anyone point me to teas sold that are from
(or made in) Thailand that are NOT thai tea (the orange anise flavored
stuff, you know), in other words, regular hong cha or even greens? Do they
grow any tea in Thailand? I can imagine tea infused with Thai flavors such
as ginger and hot chili and kaffir lime leaves and tamarind...it would be
different. Lemongrass too. Might make an interesting "savoury" tea....

--

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> Melinda > wrote:
>>I want a teabox with a pretty guy on it with a come-hither look..if anyone
>>sees one let me know, ok? ;D

> I would be _very_ surprised if you couldn't get such a thing in Bangkok.
> You might have problems finding a pretty guy with clothes on, though.
> --scott

Michael Plant

[Melinda]
>> Hey on that topic I have a quesiton-what is meant by the "bamboo" quality?
>> Because I ahve a bamboo puer from David Hoffman (packed in a bamboo tube)
>> and I can't pick out a "bamboo-ness"...can you elaborate (whomever) on what
>> you mean and what I should look for? Shoul a bamboo shu taste as different
>> from a non-bamboo shu and a shu does from a sheng for instance?

[Rick]
> I have one whose bamboo flavor is unmistakable. I own several bamboo
> flutes, so have spent much of my life French-kissing the material, but
> even so do not think that anyone else can miss it. Think bamboo
> shoots. But there appears to be wide variability in these teas. I
> get the feeling that they are manufactured in "unregulated
> conditions", meaning out in the country around a campfire. Friends
> and I have found several tubes in the same shipment to vary wildly in
> taste, smell and appearance.

[Michael]
This gets interestinger and interestinger. Bamboo shoots? NOTHING like it,
*I think.* The quality that flies out at me is flower-reedy and, as Mike
had written, perfumey. This is unknown in other Pu'erhs. Mike also says that
the primary example I've used for this description is something of an
anomoly. Rick, you might recall sending along a "China Yunnan Famous Tea --
Aroma Bamboo Tea" (from the label) encased in bamboo. That one also has this
quality. I don't know what to say. Obviously there are wild fluxuations in
the bamboo effect, undoubtedly encouraged by a lack of regulation and
control. What can I say?

Let's here more.

Michael

Michael Plant

[Melinda]
>> I want a teabox with a pretty guy on it with a come-hither look..if anyone
>> sees one let me know, ok? ;D

[Scott]
> I would be _very_ surprised if you couldn't get such a thing in Bangkok.
> You might have problems finding a pretty guy with clothes on, though.
> --scott

[Michael]
Melinda, always in the service of humanity, I purused the tea section of the
Chinese shop I was in yesterday -- Great Wall, on Canal, for you New Yorkers
-- and found several boxes with pretty young ladies thereon, but nary a one
with a pretty young man. Better fly to Bangkok, as Scott suggests.

Michael

Mike Petro

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:05:17 GMT, Michael Plant >
wrote:

>Rick, you might recall sending along a "China Yunnan Famous Tea --
>Aroma Bamboo Tea" (from the label) encased in bamboo. That one also has this
>quality. I don't know what to say. Obviously there are wild fluxuations in
>the bamboo effect, undoubtedly encouraged by a lack of regulation and
>control. What can I say?

That one that Rick brought back with him was a cooked bamboo puer with
a very strong "bamboo component". I liked it a lot!
Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
"In this work, when it shall be found that much is omitted, let it not be forgotten that much likewise is performed."
Samuel Johnson, 1775, upon finishing his dictionary.
Alex Chaihorsky

"Michael Plant" > wrote in message

> [Melinda]
>>> I want a teabox with a pretty guy on it with a come-hither look..if
>>> anyone
>>> sees one let me know, ok? ;D

> [Scott]
>> I would be _very_ surprised if you couldn't get such a thing in Bangkok.
>> You might have problems finding a pretty guy with clothes on, though.
>> --scott

> [Michael]
> Melinda, always in the service of humanity, I purused the tea section of
> the
> Chinese shop I was in yesterday -- Great Wall, on Canal, for you New
> Yorkers
> -- and found several boxes with pretty young ladies thereon, but nary a
> one
> with a pretty young man. Better fly to Bangkok, as Scott suggests.
>
> Michael

Melinda, if things will start to look desperate, we can all send you our
photos with our own version of this come-hither look that you like so much.
Choose the best you like and glue it on you favorite tea-canister.

Sasha.

Space Cowboy

I see cannisters with pictures of a serene white hair elderly looking
gentleman with a come-hither look. Does Confucius count? Buddha has
the ultimate it doesn't matter come-hither look which still upsets
feminists. I think Melinda wants a screen saver.

Jim

Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
> "Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> >
> > [Melinda]

> > [Scott]
> >> I would be _very_ surprised if you couldn't get such a thing in Bangkok.
> >> You might have problems finding a pretty guy with clothes on, though.
> >> --scott

> > [Michael]
> > Melinda, always in the service of humanity, I purused the tea section of
> > the
> > Chinese shop I was in yesterday -- Great Wall, on Canal, for you New
> > Yorkers
> > -- and found several boxes with pretty young ladies thereon, but nary a
> > one
> > with a pretty young man. Better fly to Bangkok, as Scott suggests.
> >
> > Michael
> >

> Melinda, if things will start to look desperate, we can all send you our
> photos with our own version of this come-hither look that you like so much.
> Choose the best you like and glue it on you favorite tea-canister.
>
> Sasha.

Melinda

So the one bamboo puer I have is the "bamboo fragrance puer" from Silk Road
teas that is in the bamboo tube, not in pellets, one long length. It seems
to have been made in the tube as it fits inside and doesn't look like it
could have been inserted after setting. There is a "window" section cut in
the side of the tube to get to the tea.

How about that one, for any that have tried it. Michael? Have you had that
one? I didn't notice any different quality but as I said I guess I'll have
to go back to taste again.

Thanks to everyone, this is indeed interesting.

Melinda

"Michael Plant" > wrote in message

> [Melinda]
>>> Hey on that topic I have a quesiton-what is meant by the "bamboo"
>>> quality?
>>> Because I ahve a bamboo puer from David Hoffman (packed in a bamboo
>>> tube)
>>> and I can't pick out a "bamboo-ness"...can you elaborate (whomever) on
>>> what
>>> you mean and what I should look for? Shoul a bamboo shu taste as
>>> different
>>> from a non-bamboo shu and a shu does from a sheng for instance?

> [Rick]
>> I have one whose bamboo flavor is unmistakable. I own several bamboo
>> flutes, so have spent much of my life French-kissing the material, but
>> even so do not think that anyone else can miss it. Think bamboo
>> shoots. But there appears to be wide variability in these teas. I
>> get the feeling that they are manufactured in "unregulated
>> conditions", meaning out in the country around a campfire. Friends
>> and I have found several tubes in the same shipment to vary wildly in
>> taste, smell and appearance.

> [Michael]
> This gets interestinger and interestinger. Bamboo shoots? NOTHING like
> it,
> *I think.* The quality that flies out at me is flower-reedy and, as Mike
> had written, perfumey. This is unknown in other Pu'erhs. Mike also says
> that
> the primary example I've used for this description is something of an
> anomoly. Rick, you might recall sending along a "China Yunnan Famous
> Tea --
> Aroma Bamboo Tea" (from the label) encased in bamboo. That one also has
> this
> quality. I don't know what to say. Obviously there are wild fluxuations in
> the bamboo effect, undoubtedly encouraged by a lack of regulation and
> control. What can I say?
>
> Let's here more.
>
> Michael

Melinda

LMAO!!! Hahaha, thanks Sasha, I enjoyed that laugh.....

Melinda

--
"I know. You know I know. I know you know I know. We know Henry knows,
and Henry knows we know it."

We're a knowledgeable family." ::smiles:: -Geoffrey, Lion in Winter

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Michael Plant" > wrote in message
>>
>> [Melinda]

>> [Scott]
>>> I would be _very_ surprised if you couldn't get such a thing in Bangkok.
>>> You might have problems finding a pretty guy with clothes on, though.
>>> --scott

>> [Michael]
>> Melinda, always in the service of humanity, I purused the tea section of
>> the
>> Chinese shop I was in yesterday -- Great Wall, on Canal, for you New
>> Yorkers
>> -- and found several boxes with pretty young ladies thereon, but nary a
>> one
>> with a pretty young man. Better fly to Bangkok, as Scott suggests.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> Melinda, if things will start to look desperate, we can all send you our
> photos with our own version of this come-hither look that you like so
> much.
> Choose the best you like and glue it on you favorite tea-canister.
>
> Sasha.

Melinda

It doesn't matter/ come-hither...is that a koan? Hmmm.....

As come-hither looks go I suppose Confucious might be more enobling than
your average everyday come-hither look.

Melinda

--
"I know. You know I know. I know you know I know. We know Henry knows,
and Henry knows we know it."

We're a knowledgeable family." ::smiles:: -Geoffrey, Lion in Winter
"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I see cannisters with pictures of a serene white hair elderly looking
> gentleman with a come-hither look. Does Confucius count? Buddha has
> the ultimate it doesn't matter come-hither look which still upsets
> feminists. I think Melinda wants a screen saver.
>
> Jim
>
> Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
>> "Michael Plant" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > [Melinda]
>> >
>> > [Scott]
>> >
>> > [Michael]
>> > Melinda, always in the service of humanity, I purused the tea section
>> > of
>> > the
>> > Chinese shop I was in yesterday -- Great Wall, on Canal, for you New
>> > Yorkers
>> > -- and found several boxes with pretty young ladies thereon, but nary a
>> > one
>> > with a pretty young man. Better fly to Bangkok, as Scott suggests.
>> >
>> > Michael
>> >

>> Melinda, if things will start to look desperate, we can all send you our
>> photos with our own version of this come-hither look that you like so
>> much.
>> Choose the best you like and glue it on you favorite tea-canister.
>>
>> Sasha.

Michael Plant

6/29/05

> So the one bamboo puer I have is the "bamboo fragrance puer" from Silk Road
> teas that is in the bamboo tube, not in pellets, one long length. It seems
> to have been made in the tube as it fits inside and doesn't look like it
> could have been inserted after setting. There is a "window" section cut in
> the side of the tube to get to the tea.
>
> How about that one, for any that have tried it. Michael? Have you had that
> one? I didn't notice any different quality but as I said I guess I'll have
> to go back to taste again.
>
> Thanks to everyone, this is indeed interesting.
>
> Melinda

Melinda,

I remember it as a slender tube containing a Pu'erh of only mediocre
quality. I'll check my tasting notes to get more detail. I can say that I've
gotten some *very* pleasing flower-musty-fresh steeps out of the Dai Bamboo
Pu'erh 1996, which David sells in chunks out of the bamboo casing.

OK, here is the text part of my tasting notes for the Bamboo Fragrance cane
from a bit more than a year ago: "Mushroom earth/wood with hints and
touches of sweetness and astringency. Dark oolong style of the undergrowth.
Aroma distinctly mushroom earth. Ariel says ³mint². Sweet at the start,
second steep more so. Very nice. Maybe best in dark pu-erh class. 4/13/04:
Add a bit of fresh fried fish today, retains everything else. 6/2/04: Still
very nice, a round soft cooked pu-erh. Continued with same leaf next
morning. 9/04: Still the same."

The Ariel quoted above was one of my assistants, not the Ariel who posts on
TeaDisc. Curious how memory *didn't* serve me here.

Michael

Michael

Yixing Tea Pog Anna Tea 1 13-08-2005 01:51 PM
Seasoning my yixing Melinda Tea 14 07-06-2005 07:41 AM
Loose green puerh and pressed teas that are not puerh. Mike Petro Tea 2 24-05-2005 12:31 PM
Yixing pot, or not? McLemore Tea 4 23-10-2003 12:41 AM
My first use of Yixing teapot Opother Tea 3 11-10-2003 04:38 PM