Sajo Sendak

Default OBTAINING THE PU!?

Where do you people get the PU?

There are two asian markets in my area (one is quite large) and they both
have a greens, oolongs, and black/red teas of various types (along with
various herbal concoctions) but neither of them sell pu.

Actually one sells a teabag puer, but that's it.

WHERE IS THE PU?

I NEED THE PU!

BEFORE I DO A PU PU!! GIMME THE PU!!
D-B

PU.
Pu.
PU

pilo_

In article >,
Sajo Sendak > wrote:

> Where do you people get the PU?
>
> There are two asian markets in my area (one is quite large) and they both
> have a greens, oolongs, and black/red teas of various types (along with
> various herbal concoctions) but neither of them sell pu.
>

> Actually one sells a teabag puer, but that's it.
>
> WHERE IS THE PU?
>
> I NEED THE PU!
>
> BEFORE I DO A PU PU!! GIMME THE PU!!

https://www.houdeasianart.com/ has a tremendous selection of pu-erh.
Falky foo

uptontea.com

"Sajo Sendak" > wrote in message
> Where do you people get the PU?
>
> There are two asian markets in my area (one is quite large) and they both
> have a greens, oolongs, and black/red teas of various types (along with
> various herbal concoctions) but neither of them sell pu.
>

> Actually one sells a teabag puer, but that's it.
>
> WHERE IS THE PU?
>
> I NEED THE PU!
>
> BEFORE I DO A PU PU!! GIMME THE PU!!

samarkand

Pu Pu Pu Pu Pu

www.jingteashop.com

Pu Pu Pu Pu Pu

www.teaspring.com

Pu Pu Pu Pu Pu

www.sevencups.com

Er Er Er Er Er

www.specialteas.com

Melinda

Philosophically speaking, can we ever really obtain the pu? Is pu not
something that briefly, tantilizingly, like a fragrence of a forgotten
perfume, brushes up against our lives and then dissolves into memory? Sure
we have our tea notes, but do they really do justice to the ephemeral
damp-hayness that is pu?

I would also (in addition to the other names mentioned) recommend David
Hoffman, no web presence, phone (415) 458-8624. Company is Silk Road Teas.

Melinda

--
"I know. You know I know. I know you know I know. We know Henry knows,
and Henry knows we know it."

We're a knowledgeable family." ::smiles:: -Geoffrey, Lion in Winter
"Sajo Sendak" > wrote in message
> Where do you people get the PU?
>
> There are two asian markets in my area (one is quite large) and they both
> have a greens, oolongs, and black/red teas of various types (along with
> various herbal concoctions) but neither of them sell pu.
>

> Actually one sells a teabag puer, but that's it.
>
> WHERE IS THE PU?
>
> I NEED THE PU!
>
> BEFORE I DO A PU PU!! GIMME THE PU!!

Mike Petro

I have listed all vendors I know of who stock any sort of selection of
puerh on my website, check out

http://www.pu-erh.net/usvendors.html
or
http://www.pu-erh.net/intlvendors.html

Mike
http://www.pu-erh.net

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 02:52:05 GMT, Sajo Sendak >
wrote:

>Where do you people get the PU?
>
>There are two asian markets in my area (one is quite large) and they both
>have a greens, oolongs, and black/red teas of various types (along with
>various herbal concoctions) but neither of them sell pu.
>

>Actually one sells a teabag puer, but that's it.
>
>WHERE IS THE PU?
>
>I NEED THE PU!
>
>BEFORE I DO A PU PU!! GIMME THE PU!!

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
"In this work, when it shall be found that much is omitted, let it not be forgotten that much likewise is performed."
Samuel Johnson, 1775, upon finishing his dictionary.
Sajo Sendak

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 18:03:12 +0000, you guys suggested:
> Sajo Sendak > wrote:
>> Where do you people get the PU?

<<snip>>

>> WHERE IS THE PU?
>>
>> I NEED THE PU!
>>
>> BEFORE I DO A PU PU!! GIMME THE PU!!

> https://www.houdeasianart.com/ has a tremendous selection of pu-erh.

....and..
>David Hoffman, no web presence, phone (415) 458-8624. Company is Silk
>Road Teas.

....and...
>http://www.pu-erh.net/usvendors.html
>or
>http://www.pu-erh.net/intlvendors.html

Thanks Guys. Great suggestions. I'll check them out.

You rock!!! GIMME DA POOOOOOOO!!!!

Sajo Sendak

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 04:45:08 +0800, samarkand wrote:

> Pu Pu Pu Pu Pu
>
> www.jingteashop.com
>
> Pu Pu Pu Pu Pu
>
> www.teaspring.com
>
> Pu Pu Pu Pu Pu
>
> www.sevencups.com
>
> Er Er Er Er Er
>
> www.specialteas.com

This whole "pu" conversation brings to mind the film in which Rod Tidwell
admonishes Jerry McGuire to not "shoplift the pootie."

Ian Rastall

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 17:37:29 -0700, "Melinda" >
wrote:

>Philosophically speaking, can we ever really obtain the pu? Is pu not
>something that briefly, tantilizingly, like a fragrence of a forgotten
>perfume, brushes up against our lives and then dissolves into memory? Sure
>we have our tea notes, but do they really do justice to the ephemeral
>damp-hayness that is pu?

One cannot but love the pu.

Ian
--
Was it not a comedy, a strange and stupid
matter, this repetition, this running around

Space Cowboy

I'm surprised you can't find at least any round tuocha boxes or beengs
in your local Chinatown. Pu is highly valued as a dieting tea by the
Chinese. Pu is also good for constipation. It is also the cheapest
stuff on the shelves. You might try the herbalist shop. If my local
tea shoppe carries it so does yours. Pu teabag is kind of rare. The
only one I've seen comes with cork filler to further the claims of
multiple infusions. It bobbles and bobbles. If you want all the rage
pu you'll have to shop the Internet. I've got some coming in bamboo
wrapping which looks like it came out of something's backend. My last
order from China is overdue. I'll be the only guy in the US who didn't
get his order because the FDA decided to incinerate the shipment
because it didn't have a PNSI number.

Jim

Sajo Sendak wrote:
> Where do you people get the PU?
>
> There are two asian markets in my area (one is quite large) and they both
> have a greens, oolongs, and black/red teas of various types (along with
> various herbal concoctions) but neither of them sell pu.
>

> Actually one sells a teabag puer, but that's it.
>
> WHERE IS THE PU?
>
> I NEED THE PU!
>
> BEFORE I DO A PU PU!! GIMME THE PU!!

Sajo Sendak

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 08:27:01 -0700, Space Cowboy wrote:

> I'm surprised you can't find at least any round tuocha boxes or beengs
> in your local Chinatown. Pu is highly valued as a dieting tea by the
> Chinese. Pu is also good for constipation. It is also the cheapest
> stuff on the shelves. You might try the herbalist shop. If my local
> tea shoppe carries it so does yours. Pu teabag is kind of rare. The
> only one I've seen comes with cork filler to further the claims of
> multiple infusions. It bobbles and bobbles. If you want all the rage
> pu you'll have to shop the Internet. I've got some coming in bamboo
> wrapping which looks like it came out of something's backend. My last
> order from China is overdue. I'll be the only guy in the US who didn't
> get his order because the FDA decided to incinerate the shipment
> because it didn't have a PNSI number.

I've purchased a tin of TUOCHA from World Market and RICHI loose leaf PU
from Whole Food. I haven't found any at the local asian grocers. Of course
I might have seen it and not known what I was looking at.
Space Cowboy

Look for a store run by Chinese. The other IndoChina or Pacific Rim
countries probably won't stock any. Look for the word YUNNAN on the
packaging. That is more consistent than variations of Pu'rh which is
most probably just the characters. It is hard to miss the pancake or
beeng forms. The only round boxes I've seen contain tuochas. The
brick or fang form is also common. If you find it in Chinatown it is
about a penny/gram. I look at the TaoBao site everyday and if you pay
more than $10/350g then the difference should only reflect shipping.
I'd say each year of additional aging adds a buck. I've never seen any
100g tuocha over $3 with most a buck which is what I pay in my
Chinatown.

Jim

Sajo Sendak wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 08:27:01 -0700, Space Cowboy wrote:
>
> > I'm surprised you can't find at least any round tuocha boxes or beengs
> > in your local Chinatown. Pu is highly valued as a dieting tea by the
> > Chinese. Pu is also good for constipation. It is also the cheapest
> > stuff on the shelves.

....I delete me...

> I've purchased a tin of TUOCHA from World Market and RICHI loose leaf PU
> from Whole Food. I haven't found any at the local asian grocers. Of course
> I might have seen it and not known what I was looking at.

Sajo Sendak

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 08:06:07 -0700, Space Cowboy wrote:

> Look for a store run by Chinese. The other IndoChina or Pacific Rim
> countries probably won't stock any. Look for the word YUNNAN on the
> packaging. That is more consistent than variations of Pu'rh which is
> most probably just the characters. It is hard to miss the pancake or
> beeng forms. The only round boxes I've seen contain tuochas. The
> brick or fang form is also common. If you find it in Chinatown it is
> about a penny/gram. I look at the TaoBao site everyday and if you pay
> more than $10/350g then the difference should only reflect shipping.
> I'd say each year of additional aging adds a buck. I've never seen any
> 100g tuocha over $3 with most a buck which is what I pay in my
> Chinatown.

Are you referring to this site: http://www.taobao.com/ ??

Space Cowboy

Use Google and find the earlier link that finds the pu'rh items and
uses Google translation services. I monitor it for what is available
and the cost. All in all I think Internet retailers might be a little
overpriced with limited selection but no real gouging. I've been
culling email addresses and when I get to it hopefully will find
somebody who knows more English than I do Chinese. This thread is
crossposted so I removed the extraneous groups.

Jim

Sajo Sendak wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 08:06:07 -0700, Space Cowboy wrote:

> > I look at the TaoBao site everyday and if you pay
> > more than $10/350g then the difference should only reflect shipping.

> Are you referring to this site: http://www.taobao.com/ ??

Rob

Mike or anyone in the group:

I have ordered pu-erh from some of the vendors that you have
recommended and have really enjoyed my teas. I will have a chance to
visit Boston's Chinatown and was wondering if you or someone has a
recommendation of a good shop where I can purchase good pu-erh (I'm no
expert).

Thanks. Rob

Space Cowboy

In my Chinatown you'll find it in the supermarkets. You won't find it
in the tourist traps. When somebody mentions a good tea there is no
accounting for taste. I like the thrill of discovery instead of what
everybody else is drinking.

Jim

Rob wrote:
> Mike or anyone in the group:
>
> I have ordered pu-erh from some of the vendors that you have
> recommended and have really enjoyed my teas. I will have a chance to
> visit Boston's Chinatown and was wondering if you or someone has a
> recommendation of a good shop where I can purchase good pu-erh (I'm no
> expert).
>
> Thanks. Rob

Mike Petro

Rob wrote:
> Mike or anyone in the group:
>
> I have ordered pu-erh from some of the vendors that you have
> recommended and have really enjoyed my teas. I will have a chance to
> visit Boston's Chinatown and was wondering if you or someone has a
> recommendation of a good shop where I can purchase good pu-erh (I'm no
> expert).
>
> Thanks. Rob

Unfortunately I have had little luck finding any pu-erh in Boston's
Chinatown as I have looked there several times. I lived near there for
a little over a year. Great fish but very little pu-erh!

I guess it depends on how much time you have and what you would rather
be doing. I have spent whole days looking around that section of town
to no avail, but if you have nothing better to do then why not?
Personaly I would take a puer wrapper with you and eat at one of the
larger restaurants, then ask your waiter if he can help you find it. As
has been suggested you might try the grocery stores, there are 2 big
ones there that I know of. What you find in the Grocery stores will be
the cheap commodity stuff, but if they have any it will be priced much
lower than the same thing from the Internet vendors.

Mike
http://www.pu-erh.net

Rob

Mike: Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with at least the large
Chinese grocery (Super 88?) in Alston. I bought some black oolong and
TGY there that was actually pretty good, but I was unfamiliar with
pu-erh at the time. I will check it again.

I was hoping to get into Chinatown and wanted to fine a tea seller
there who might have some pu-erh. I have a friend who has a friend ...
who sells tea in NYC who may have a contact in Boston. If it turns out
to be a good source I'll post it here.

BTW, your pu-erh.net site is great!

Thanks. Rob