Blues Lyne

Default San Francisco trip

I'll be in San Francisco for at least part of a day this coming weekend. My
plans are to hit Imperial Tea Court and Chinatown in general. Anything else
that I shouldn't miss teawise or otherwise? We are actually staying in
Monterey, but will make a day trip to SF.

Blues

Archer

Imperial Tea Court now has two locations. One in the Ferry Building and
its older location on Powell just north of Broadway.
http://www.imperialtea.com/

If you enjoy Japanese tea, DO NOT miss stopping by Shifuku Tea & Arts
in the Japan Center. Please tell David I say hello.

Shifuku Tea & Arts
Japan Center
1737 Post Street Suite 337
San Francisco Ca 94115
(415) 922-5505

I've never stopped in to this place but would like to:
Yau Hing Company
831 Grant Avenue
San Francisco, California 94108
Phone: (415) 395-0868
Open 9:30am to 6:00pm, Daily
http://www.redblossomtea.com/

If you like sweets you should wait in line at the Golden Gate Bakery -
I believe it might be on Grant but I'm not sure.

And eat lots of dim sum. Holy moly, there's a lot of great dim sum in
the Bay area.

If you cross the bay, check out Teance/Celadon over in Albany (actually
part of Berkeley). The tearoom is lovely, the information on their tea
is far-fetched.
http://www.celadontea.com/

Far Leaves Tea is also a lovely little teahouse in Berkeley near the
University.
http://www.farleaves.com/

DPM

"Archer" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Imperial Tea Court now has two locations. One in the Ferry Building and
> its older location on Powell just north of Broadway.
> http://www.imperialtea.com/

I've been to both Courts. The Ferry Building court is larger and feels more
formal to me; the original one has an old pub feel. But at both they'll
make you a gaiwan or pot of any tea they have in stock, and they have some
beauties. When I was there in February I had a lovely Phoenix Bird oolong.
Highly recommended.

Regards,
Dean

Blues Lyne

Thanks Dean and Archer. I'm not sure how long my wife and two year old will
suffer my tea hunt, but I'm going to find out. I'm looking forward to the
trip. I'll let you know what I find.

Blues
Drinking a swig of Scotch and listening to the sounds of my house as I get
ready to stumble up to bed. But, you can bet I'll be dreaming of tea!

Space Cowboy

Too many Occidentals in SF Chinatown with credit cards. I prefer the
downtown Oakland version when I visit. Grab some roasted duck with
sauce and feast in Golden Gate park. Don't forget tea accoutrements.
I've still got a stack of TeoChew pots from the seventies which were
only a buck each. I found those at some Chinese discount warehouse off
of some freeway. Of course the best places are off the beaten path
just like my metro area. EnjoyingTea has a shop near the wharf.

Jim

Blues Lyne wrote:
> Thanks Dean and Archer. I'm not sure how long my wife and two year old will
> suffer my tea hunt, but I'm going to find out. I'm looking forward to the
> trip. I'll let you know what I find.
>
> Blues
> Drinking a swig of Scotch and listening to the sounds of my house as I get
> ready to stumble up to bed. But, you can bet I'll be dreaming of tea!

Blues Lyne

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Too many Occidentals in SF Chinatown with credit cards. I prefer the
> downtown Oakland version when I visit. Grab some roasted duck with
> sauce and feast in Golden Gate park. Don't forget tea accoutrements.
> I've still got a stack of TeoChew pots from the seventies which were
> only a buck each. I found those at some Chinese discount warehouse off
> of some freeway. Of course the best places are off the beaten path
> just like my metro area. EnjoyingTea has a shop near the wharf.
>
> Jim

Thanks for the heads up on Oaklands Chinatown. Now if I only had you and a
few others to come along and help me figure out what those boxes say.

Blues

JP

"Blues Lyne" > wrote in
:

> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Too many Occidentals in SF Chinatown with credit cards. I prefer the
>> downtown Oakland version when I visit. Grab some roasted duck with
>> sauce and feast in Golden Gate park. Don't forget tea accoutrements.
>> I've still got a stack of TeoChew pots from the seventies which were
>> only a buck each. I found those at some Chinese discount warehouse
>> off of some freeway. Of course the best places are off the beaten
>> path just like my metro area. EnjoyingTea has a shop near the wharf.
>>
>> Jim

> Thanks for the heads up on Oaklands Chinatown. Now if I only had you
> and a few others to come along and help me figure out what those boxes
> say.
>
> Blues

I would try Samovar Tea Lounge. Nice tasting menu and some good
tea and food pairings.
JP

Samovar Tea Lounge
498 SANCHEZ STREET
at 18TH STREET
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94114
415.626.4700

San Francisco Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 19 12-09-2015 11:44 PM
San Francisco So Far Dimitri General Cooking 65 28-10-2008 03:54 AM
San Francisco Dimitri General Cooking 52 01-10-2008 02:39 PM
San Francisco Trip Report [email protected] Tea 2 17-06-2005 06:40 PM
Dim Sum in San Francisco Ken Blake Asian Cooking 15 17-03-2004 03:27 PM