Space Cowboy

Default More seed style grade

I opened up the commercial sampler of TKY from the same Chinese
supplier and this time again the leaf is compressed beyond recognition
similar to the Zui Mei Ren but the 'seeds' which I'll now call 'pods'
are much larger. Both are tearshape with a uniform smooth surface and
a small point. So it is a grade or style of leaf and not the variety.
After two 5 minute boiling infusions the pods are only puffy. This TKY
has a strong pungent smell which tingles the taste buds and stomach
lining with an aftertaste that lingers and lingers. This would make an
excellent gongfu style tea because there is nothing to wash and the
leaf never exposes itself fully to the infusion. Both drove me nuts
waiting for the first infusion to indicate a sufficient color change.
The subsequent infusions a little less because the color was more
immediate. I use color more than time to determine the first brews of
any untasted tea.

Jim

Archer

What's all this about the "seeds" or "pods" in tie guan yin? Are you
ordering tea that comes with rolled tea leaves ~and~ Camellia sinensis
fruits?

Please enlighten my un-illuminated tea brain.

Mydnight

I'm going to have to look into this because you describe some really
nice tea.

The only tea that I've seen that resembles seeds would be "mai cha" or
wheat tea. It's drank in some of the Northern and Western areas, I've
been told.

Have you seen this at the vendor's site?

Space Cowboy

They were just samples that came with a pu order. The other commercial
samples were recognizable leaf. Each was in it's own commercial
package of about 30g. I'd say that is the way it would come with an
order. You see those small packages sometimes with TKY and Dim Sum.
What's also interesting each seed or pod is a whole leaf and not bits
and pieces. I think it is a new mechanized grade. There is no way you
could do this by hand. I know never say no way. I use a glass pot
(modified tea press) so visual presentation adds to the cup. If you
find out more please let me(us) know.

Jim

Mydnight wrote:
> I'm going to have to look into this because you describe some really
> nice tea.
>
> The only tea that I've seen that resembles seeds would be "mai cha" or
> wheat tea. It's drank in some of the Northern and Western areas, I've
> been told.
>
> Have you seen this at the vendor's site?

kuri

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message

> What's also interesting each seed or pod is a whole leaf and not bits
> and pieces.

Do you mean leaves fold in fancy ways ?

Here "pearls" and "peach blossoms", the pearls are one leaf each, the
blossoms don't unfold at all.

http://cjoint.com/data/fEsz1un7KU.htm

If not, I don't understand what you call pods or seeds. If you could find a
link with a photo that would help.

> I think it is a new mechanized grade. There is no way you
> could do this by hand. I know never say no way.

Those on the photos are sold as *hand-made* and *traditional*. No idea if
it's a marketing trick. They are overpriced but that's always a pleasure to
watch the face of people discovering them in their cups for the first time.

> I use a glass pot
> (modified tea press) so visual presentation adds to the cup.

Flute glasses for champagne. I don't drink that everyday. The shop has about
40 sorts (designs/flavors), in Shanghai they have many more, but usually I
don't know about the region of origine of the leaves.

Kuri

Space Cowboy

The only difference between the 'seed' of the Zui Mei Ren, whatever
variety that is, and the 'pod' of the Tie Kwan Yin is the size of the
leaf. I only knew that from 3 ten minutes of boiling infusion where a
few popped open. Any rolled leaf I've seen is still discernable as a
leaf such as surface irregularities, a beginning or end, a twist and a
roll, a tuck, etc such as the herbal Kuding Pearls or the photos. All
I can say as before the grade looks like a teardrop seed with point.
It is completely smooth with no visible seams. The leaf looks like it
has been seamlessly sealed. You can find a few irregular shapes which
looks like a bulge or the end of a stem. I know rolled leaf but
nothing like this. I wouldn't even think that much about it except it
doesn't behave in the pot like other knots of leaf. I would say it
looks rolled and then somehow seared but it doesn't looked burned or
baked. Since there seems to be some interest I'll take some photos and
email the curious. It won't be this week or even probably next. I'd
send samples but that is all I have till I order some and then that is
a shipment from China.

Jim

kuri wrote:
> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
>
> > What's also interesting each seed or pod is a whole leaf and not bits
> > and pieces.

> Do you mean leaves fold in fancy ways ?
>
> Here "pearls" and "peach blossoms", the pearls are one leaf each, the
> blossoms don't unfold at all.
>
> http://cjoint.com/data/fEsz1un7KU.htm
>
> If not, I don't understand what you call pods or seeds. If you could find a
> link with a photo that would help.
>
> > I think it is a new mechanized grade. There is no way you
> > could do this by hand. I know never say no way.

> Those on the photos are sold as *hand-made* and *traditional*. No idea if
> it's a marketing trick. They are overpriced but that's always a pleasure to
> watch the face of people discovering them in their cups for the first time.
>
> > I use a glass pot
> > (modified tea press) so visual presentation adds to the cup.

> Flute glasses for champagne. I don't drink that everyday. The shop has about
> 40 sorts (designs/flavors), in Shanghai they have many more, but usually I
> don't know about the region of origine of the leaves.
>
> Kuri

pet food grade hemp seed ? brugnospamsia Vegetarian cooking 1 04-10-2011 01:35 PM
More seed style grade (revisited) Space Cowboy Tea 21 02-07-2005 02:47 PM
More seed style grade Space Cowboy Tea 0 27-05-2005 02:41 PM
pet food grade hemp seed ? brugnospamsia Vegetarian cooking 0 24-03-2005 09:03 AM
What is Commerical Grade about the Commercial Grade line from CharBroil? Joshua Barbecue 5 20-04-2004 12:27 PM