jfandor

Default Yixing ware question

I recently purchased a Yixing pot and I'm quite happy with
it. It appears to be well-made (some minor flaws here and
there, but visible only under close inspection), the lid
fits very well and flow stops when the spout is covered.
The lid does not fall out when the pot is vertical. The
body certainly SEEMS like it is made from a Yixing clay -
it has shiny specks here and there. It is an unusual color,
and I think this was a specific aim of the maker - it is a
strange greenish-brown, very "old looking." It makes a mean
pot of Tieguanyin.

However, it doesn't seem to have much of a "ring" to the
body when I do the scrape-lid-around-rim-of-opening test.
It just sounds like scraping clay on clay. What, if
anything, does this say about the pot? Incorrect firing?
..
Dan S

you'll want to take the lid, while holding the handle between your
fingers and gently tap it against the teapot handle. that is the best
way to produce the "ring".

SEb

The "ring" depends on the type of zi sha and the temperature it was
fired. A zhu ni teapot won't have the same "ring" than a duan ni one.

Seb

jfandor wrote:
> I recently purchased a Yixing pot and I'm quite happy with
> it. It appears to be well-made (some minor flaws here and
> there, but visible only under close inspection), the lid
> fits very well and flow stops when the spout is covered.
> The lid does not fall out when the pot is vertical. The
> body certainly SEEMS like it is made from a Yixing clay -
> it has shiny specks here and there. It is an unusual color,
> and I think this was a specific aim of the maker - it is a
> strange greenish-brown, very "old looking." It makes a mean
> pot of Tieguanyin.
>
> However, it doesn't seem to have much of a "ring" to the
> body when I do the scrape-lid-around-rim-of-opening test.
> It just sounds like scraping clay on clay. What, if
> anything, does this say about the pot? Incorrect firing?
> .

SEb

jfandor wrote:
> I recently purchased a Yixing pot and I'm quite happy with
> it. It appears to be well-made (some minor flaws here and
> there, but visible only under close inspection), the lid
> fits very well and flow stops when the spout is covered.
> The lid does not fall out when the pot is vertical. The
> body certainly SEEMS like it is made from a Yixing clay -
> it has shiny specks here and there. It is an unusual color,
> and I think this was a specific aim of the maker - it is a
> strange greenish-brown, very "old looking." It makes a mean
> pot of Tieguanyin.
>
> However, it doesn't seem to have much of a "ring" to the
> body when I do the scrape-lid-around-rim-of-opening test.
> It just sounds like scraping clay on clay. What, if
> anything, does this say about the pot? Incorrect firing?
> .

Michael Plant

/26/05

> I recently purchased a Yixing pot and I'm quite happy with
> it. It appears to be well-made (some minor flaws here and
> there, but visible only under close inspection), the lid
> fits very well and flow stops when the spout is covered.
> The lid does not fall out when the pot is vertical. The
> body certainly SEEMS like it is made from a Yixing clay -
> it has shiny specks here and there. It is an unusual color,
> and I think this was a specific aim of the maker - it is a
> strange greenish-brown, very "old looking." It makes a mean
> pot of Tieguanyin.
>
> However, it doesn't seem to have much of a "ring" to the
> body when I do the scrape-lid-around-rim-of-opening test.
> It just sounds like scraping clay on clay. What, if
> anything, does this say about the pot? Incorrect firing?
> .

To me, the key sentence in your report is, "It makes a mean pot of
Tieguanyin." I'd say therefore it is a very good pot. Can we see pictures? I
wouldn't worry overly about the ring stuff. There appear to be many opinions
on that anyway.

Michael

jfandor

My* digital camera isn't working right now, but I'll get
some snaps ASAP.

I totally agree that "It makes a mean pot of
Tieguanyin" is the key sentence. I doubt I'd care if it
turned out to have been made in Detroit. But the "ring"
test threw me a bit. I don't exactly have a seasoned ear
for these things, but to me, a terra-cotta pot has a "ring"
to it when stuck the right way. My coffee mug rings when I
scrape my thumbnail on it. My teapot, though, scrapes or
goes "thunk." I'll try the handle, but I'm not going to
lose any sleep over it.

It's rather low and wide for an Yixing, and the capacity is
a staggering (for me, at least) 16 oz - after several
rounds of brewing I have a few quarts of tea. Yikes. Next
pot will be a bit more "bladder friendly."

Anyway, thanks to you and everybody else who replied.

*the one I "borrow" regularly from the R&D. Hey, Magnum
P.I. didn't own his camera, either.
..
Austin Hodge

Some ring some don't but it says nothing about quality of the pot. The
ringing comes from thinner walled pots ring sharper. It sounds as if
your potter was skilled.

Yixing Ware Scott Dorsey Tea 3 16-03-2015 05:52 AM
tea ware Question kid_kei Tea 20 06-11-2006 11:16 PM
Musings on Yixing ware dave Tea 23 21-06-2005 12:46 PM
yixing ware question jfandor Tea 0 25-05-2005 03:25 PM
NON-STICK KITHCEN-WARE (COOK-WARE) - NO TOXIC C-8 Stalaflon General Cooking 1 18-02-2005 06:03 PM