Falky foo

Default Tea pot question

sadly no.

"Austin M House" > wrote in message
> I bought an old crome plated tin tea pot a a garage sale, I realy like
> this pot. My problem is that its imparting a very unpleasent metalic
> taste to the tea. Is there anything I can do to clean or contition this
> tea pot so I can use it?
>
> Thanks.....
>
> POE

Dog Ma 1

Austin wrote
> I bought an old crome plated tin tea pot a a garage sale, I realy like
> this pot. My problem is that its imparting a very unpleasent metalic
> taste to the tea. Is there anything I can do to clean or contition this
> tea pot so I can use it?

Depends on how sensitive you are to the taste. Chrome plating is
particularly challenging in this regard. Chrome itself is pretty inert (due
to a coherent oxide layer). But chrome is generally plated over intermediate
metals (like copper and nickel) that in turn are plated onto the base steel
(not tin; that's a carryover from long ago) to enhance adhesion. When
microcracks inevitably form, the resulting junctions of dissimilar metals
form a galvanic couple that accelerates corrosion, hence taste production.

However, most metals passivate pretty well when exposed to random organic
mixtures like tea. If you repeatedly brew strong tea in the pot and let it
sit for a day or so at room temperature, then clean only with a water rinse
and no scrubbing, an organic deposit will build up. This will reduce and
possibly even eliminate the metallic taste. Like seasoning clay pots, it's a
good use for stale tea that would otherwise be binned.

-DM

David M. Harris

Dog Ma 1 wrote:
> Austin wrote
>
>>I bought an old crome plated tin tea pot a a garage sale, I realy like
>>this pot. My problem is that its imparting a very unpleasent metalic
>>taste to the tea. Is there anything I can do to clean or contition this
>>tea pot so I can use it?

> Depends on how sensitive you are to the taste. Chrome plating is
> particularly challenging in this regard. Chrome itself is pretty inert (due
> to a coherent oxide layer). But chrome is generally plated over intermediate
> metals (like copper and nickel) that in turn are plated onto the base steel
> (not tin; that's a carryover from long ago) to enhance adhesion. When
> microcracks inevitably form, the resulting junctions of dissimilar metals
> form a galvanic couple that accelerates corrosion, hence taste production.
>
> However, most metals passivate pretty well when exposed to random organic
> mixtures like tea. If you repeatedly brew strong tea in the pot and let it
> sit for a day or so at room temperature, then clean only with a water rinse
> and no scrubbing, an organic deposit will build up. This will reduce and
> possibly even eliminate the metallic taste. Like seasoning clay pots, it's a
> good use for stale tea that would otherwise be binned.
>
> -DM

Or, I suppose, you could paint the interior of the pot with stove paint.

fmh
Falky foo

I would not use old teapots. God knows what metals were used or what's
corroded and leaching into the tea.

"David M. Harris" > wrote in message
> Dog Ma 1 wrote:
> > Austin wrote
> >
> >>I bought an old crome plated tin tea pot a a garage sale, I realy like
> >>this pot. My problem is that its imparting a very unpleasent metalic
> >>taste to the tea. Is there anything I can do to clean or contition this
> >>tea pot so I can use it?

> > Depends on how sensitive you are to the taste. Chrome plating is
> > particularly challenging in this regard. Chrome itself is pretty inert

(due
> > to a coherent oxide layer). But chrome is generally plated over

intermediate
> > metals (like copper and nickel) that in turn are plated onto the base

steel
> > (not tin; that's a carryover from long ago) to enhance adhesion. When
> > microcracks inevitably form, the resulting junctions of dissimilar

metals
> > form a galvanic couple that accelerates corrosion, hence taste

production.

> > However, most metals passivate pretty well when exposed to random

organic
> > mixtures like tea. If you repeatedly brew strong tea in the pot and let

it
> > sit for a day or so at room temperature, then clean only with a water

rinse
> > and no scrubbing, an organic deposit will build up. This will reduce and
> > possibly even eliminate the metallic taste. Like seasoning clay pots,

it's a
> > good use for stale tea that would otherwise be binned.
> >
> > -DM
> >

> Or, I suppose, you could paint the interior of the pot with stove paint.
>
> fmh

Standard Deviant

Falky foo wrote:
stin wrote

like

metalic

contition this

> > > -DM
> > >

> > Or, I suppose, you could paint the interior of the pot with stove

paint.

> > fmh

What about taking it to a custom automotive/motorcycle shop and have
them drop that puppy in a chrome dip?