Serendip

Default TeaLuxe in Cambridge, MA?

It looks like I may be outside of Boston in a couple of weeks, with
precious little time for tea searching. Sniffle.

Quick review shows there are two Tealuxe shops, and one or the other may
be a possibility (especially if I give up on the idea of hitting Whole
Foods or Trader Joes)... googling shows nothing much posted about them,
and nothing at all in the past couple of years.

Saw that there is also a Tealuxe website, so not seeing anything here
tells me I may already have my answer <vbg> but... any comments about
Tealuxe teas? Good/bad/indifferent?

Any other places to recommend? I'm not interested in a place to sit and
sip tea, but rather a place to gawk and drool and buy loose tea (and
toys?) to take home.

Thanks!

Resa
Edgar Miller

I worked at a Tealuxe for a bit in Providence, their teas are okay; the
best I thought were the Dragon Pearl Jasmine (ask to see and smell the
hand-rolled balls of tea) and the frozen blended Matcha Miracle
(Matcha--pulverized green tea--, ice, simple syrup, and milk or soy milk:
not traditional at all but DEEElicious!) I am sort of a tea enthusiast, but
everybody else who worked there, to a lesser or greater degree, seemed to
take it as just a bill-paying job and not really be in it for the tea... In
Cambridge try "Tea Tray in the Sky", a serious tea cafe. I hear it is quite
good. Anyway maybe the Tealuxes in Cambridge are different. Best of luck.
P.S. If anybody from that Tealuxe is actually on this board and is reading
this, the fact that you are on here totally proves me wrong about your level
of dedication and I apologize for slighting you....
Chris
P.S. My best tea source is www.harney.com try it, you won't be
disappointed. They supply half of the best hotels in the U.S. but are very
cool guys, and humble too.

"Serendip" > wrote in message
> It looks like I may be outside of Boston in a couple of weeks, with
> precious little time for tea searching. Sniffle.
>
> Quick review shows there are two Tealuxe shops, and one or the other may
> be a possibility (especially if I give up on the idea of hitting Whole
> Foods or Trader Joes)... googling shows nothing much posted about them,
> and nothing at all in the past couple of years.
>
> Saw that there is also a Tealuxe website, so not seeing anything here
> tells me I may already have my answer <vbg> but... any comments about
> Tealuxe teas? Good/bad/indifferent?
>
> Any other places to recommend? I'm not interested in a place to sit and
> sip tea, but rather a place to gawk and drool and buy loose tea (and
> toys?) to take home.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Resa

Edgar Miller

"Serendip" > wrote in message
> It looks like I may be outside of Boston in a couple of weeks, with
> precious little time for tea searching. Sniffle.
>
> Quick review shows there are two Tealuxe shops, and one or the other may
> be a possibility (especially if I give up on the idea of hitting Whole
> Foods or Trader Joes)... googling shows nothing much posted about them,
> and nothing at all in the past couple of years.
>
> Saw that there is also a Tealuxe website, so not seeing anything here
> tells me I may already have my answer <vbg> but... any comments about
> Tealuxe teas? Good/bad/indifferent?
>
> Any other places to recommend? I'm not interested in a place to sit and
> sip tea, but rather a place to gawk and drool and buy loose tea (and
> toys?) to take home.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Resa

Serendip

On 5/3/2005 2:19 AM, Edgar Miller wrote:
> I worked at a Tealuxe for a bit in Providence, their teas are okay; the
> best I thought were the Dragon Pearl Jasmine (ask to see and smell the
> hand-rolled balls of tea) and the frozen blended Matcha Miracle
> (Matcha--pulverized green tea--, ice, simple syrup, and milk or soy milk:
> not traditional at all but DEEElicious!) I am sort of a tea enthusiast, but
> everybody else who worked there, to a lesser or greater degree, seemed to
> take it as just a bill-paying job and not really be in it for the tea... In
> Cambridge try "Tea Tray in the Sky", a serious tea cafe. I hear it is quite
> good. Anyway maybe the Tealuxes in Cambridge are different. Best of luck.
> P.S. If anybody from that Tealuxe is actually on this board and is reading
> this, the fact that you are on here totally proves me wrong about your level
> of dedication and I apologize for slighting you....
> Chris
> P.S. My best tea source is www.harney.com try it, you won't be
> disappointed. They supply half of the best hotels in the U.S. but are very
> cool guys, and humble too.

Thanks, Chris! Harney is next on my list to mailorder from (I've ordered
from Upton and Adagio) but I'm hoping to be able to visit a "real" store
when in Boston. Thanks for the "Tea Tray in the Sky" suggestion, too!

Best,
Resa

> "Serendip" > wrote in message
>> It looks like I may be outside of Boston in a couple of weeks, with
>> precious little time for tea searching. Sniffle.
>>
>> Quick review shows there are two Tealuxe shops, and one or the other may
>> be a possibility (especially if I give up on the idea of hitting Whole
>> Foods or Trader Joes)... googling shows nothing much posted about them,
>> and nothing at all in the past couple of years.
>>
>> Saw that there is also a Tealuxe website, so not seeing anything here
>> tells me I may already have my answer <vbg> but... any comments about
>> Tealuxe teas? Good/bad/indifferent?
>>
>> Any other places to recommend? I'm not interested in a place to sit and
>> sip tea, but rather a place to gawk and drool and buy loose tea (and
>> toys?) to take home.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Resa

Serendip

On 5/3/2005 9:50 PM, Doug Hazen, Jr. wrote:
> Unfortunately, Tea Tray is no longer. They went out of business a year and a
> half ago, or more.
>
> Doug

Thanks, Doug - you saved me some google and mapquest searching!

Resa

Scott Dorsey

Serendip > wrote:
>It looks like I may be outside of Boston in a couple of weeks, with
>precious little time for tea searching. Sniffle.
>
>Quick review shows there are two Tealuxe shops, and one or the other may
>be a possibility (especially if I give up on the idea of hitting Whole
>Foods or Trader Joes)... googling shows nothing much posted about them,
>and nothing at all in the past couple of years.

Tealuxe has a decent selection, but their prices are generally insane.
I was in Boston in February and picked up a puttabong first flush darjeeling
that was quite good, but about five times the price it should have been.
Even so, I like the place because you can go in and have a cup of tea
and try before buying anything.

>Any other places to recommend? I'm not interested in a place to sit and
>sip tea, but rather a place to gawk and drool and buy loose tea (and
>toys?) to take home.

Timeless Teas on Newbury street is only a block or so away from Tealuxe,
and it's worth visiting them. Some decent commodity-grade Ceylon teas,
mostly from Tang Tea. They don't sell any real high grade stuff, but you
might ask them if they'd start carrying it. In the meantime, try the
Dimbula BOP which is quite respectable.

Upton's is up in Hopkinton... and absolutely worth the trip to see their
facility if you have an afternoon where you can get oout of town.
--scott

Serendip

On 5/4/2005 9:39 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Serendip > wrote:
>>It looks like I may be outside of Boston in a couple of weeks, with
>>precious little time for tea searching. Sniffle.
>>
>>Quick review shows there are two Tealuxe shops, and one or the other may
>>be a possibility (especially if I give up on the idea of hitting Whole
>>Foods or Trader Joes)... googling shows nothing much posted about them,
>>and nothing at all in the past couple of years.

> Tealuxe has a decent selection, but their prices are generally insane.
> I was in Boston in February and picked up a puttabong first flush darjeeling
> that was quite good, but about five times the price it should have been.
> Even so, I like the place because you can go in and have a cup of tea
> and try before buying anything.
>
>>Any other places to recommend? I'm not interested in a place to sit and
>>sip tea, but rather a place to gawk and drool and buy loose tea (and
>>toys?) to take home.

> Timeless Teas on Newbury street is only a block or so away from Tealuxe,
> and it's worth visiting them. Some decent commodity-grade Ceylon teas,
> mostly from Tang Tea. They don't sell any real high grade stuff, but you
> might ask them if they'd start carrying it. In the meantime, try the
> Dimbula BOP which is quite respectable.
>
> Upton's is up in Hopkinton... and absolutely worth the trip to see their
> facility if you have an afternoon where you can get oout of town.
> --scott

Thanks, Scott!

Timeless Teas is new to me, so thanks. And I thought Upton was "only"
mail order - I didn't realize that the facility could be visited. I
think I may have to leave earlier, so I can get to Hopkinton before
Boston....

Best,
Resa

Great restaurant tea experience in Cambridge, MA DogMa Tea 1 08-02-2007 03:57 PM
Cambridge, MA restaurant tea DogMa Tea 2 10-07-2006 02:12 PM
Cambridge, MA restaurant tea DogMa Tea 0 10-07-2006 03:57 AM
Chickpea bread. Cambridge Massachusetts. Don Saklad Baking 0 12-06-2006 08:09 AM
Cambridge MA and Cambridge UK Menus [email protected] Restaurants 0 11-12-2004 09:14 AM