Ripon

Default "Yatu" black tea: Pride of Zambia

Zambia- a southern African nation rich in copper, minerals and tobacco.
In 60's it was one of the richest country in Africa for being third
largest copper miner after US and USSR(former Russia). In 1975 the
price of copper collapsed which effected the entire economy. Zambia is
very beautiful country and part of Victoria falls is located in Zambia.
Though tea is not still a very popular crop like other agricultural
product but the country is getting toward that direction. Tea is part
of their diversify product plan though still copper is the main export
item.

USAID(United States Agency for International Development) a US
government department who distributes US foreign aid all around the
world. Now a days, aid is not only their priority but also to encourage
small entrepreneur with marketing research, product development and
entire investment plan. USAID also helps to get bank loan and to find
buyers for the small companies. As an American and tea lover, some of
you will be very proud to know- you tax money is going to help some tea
framers in some tea growing countries without your notice. Our
government also helping some Sri Lankan tea farms, I will tell you that
story some other time.

"Yatu" means "Ours" in nayanja a local Zambian language. The company
was established in 1999 supported by USAID, as a part of USAID funded
global agribusiness program. USAID did the entire marketing research
and helped them to build this small company as a environmental and
social conscious product. "Yatu" black tea is available in the all big
super markets and French Total gas station in Zambia. USAID also helped
them to attended in the international food fair in South Africa which
helped the company to start export their tea in South Africa,
Democratic republic of Congo and some other African nation. End of this
year, they are going to export their tea bags in UK(direct without any
middle man). The interesting part is 60% employees are woman who didn't
have any job before. USAID also provides technical and marketing
training to the management and employee. The owners Modi and Miriam are
working very hard to expand their tea market. Recently, they reached an
agreement with luxurious hotel chain "Sun Hotel" and they officially
start supplying Yatu tea gift pack for the foreign guests, tea & Coffee
room and duringhe international conferences around the hotels. One of
this hotel just next to the Victoria Falls and have Zebra in the hotel
garden- just beautiful. Want to know, how beautiful-
http://www.go2africa.com/africa_acco...ServiceNo=2742 - Many
foreign multinational companies come to this hotel for regional and
local meeting, workshops and conferences. Yatu tea already catch up
this market. When the company displayed their tea in South African
fair- one British buyer wanted to buy the entire company with their tea
gardens and offered them to moved their business some other African tea
producing country. Miriam refused because she always wanted to be in
Zambia which creates more job for Zambian woman and overall she is very
proud of her Zambian "Yatu" "Ours" black tea. This is an example and
warning for some buyers who are paying low price to the African tea
growing nation. I think with USAID marketing and technical help, their
is an opportunity to expand this successful program to other African
tea growing countries. They are learning B2C(business to consumer) and
also B2B(business to business) selling method. I am very excited with
the whole program. I talked with the company management over the phone
and showed my interest to come to visit their entire production line.
They told me- anytime.

I have received some samples of "Yatu" black tea bags and the tea bags
are better then Lipton and no less then Typhoo or Tetley. I am still
waiting for some loose tea and not sure if they are packing loose tea
commercially or not. I got four tea boxes(200 tea bags) and drinking
some because I don't drink tea bag that much. So what I am doing is- I
am distributing this tea to some people who drinks tea bag here. I
tell them it is PG tips, they drink and say- nice and fresh aroma. When
I tell them this is Zambian tea, they just can't believe it. I go to a
bar name "Flying goose" owned by a English couple and trying to
convinced then to switch to "Yatu" rather then "Five Roses". Because
the tea is packed nicely(not so fancy) but they process and pack with
great care. I need little more time to describe the detail taste. It
has medium body, smooth taste with a little fruity note. It is nothing
extraordinary but if millions of people can drink Lipton, PG tips,
Typhoo why not "Yatu" Black tea? This is the company which is helping
some Zambian woman and the entire economy. "Yatu" tea is also an
example- how as a new serious tea drinking nation, US assistance can
make a change in this industry. I am just so proud for the whole
program.

Cheers for "Yatu" tea and USAID and also all of you because your tax
money is helping Zambian tea industry.You are also part of this success
story.

Ripon
Maputo, Mozambique

(Proudly drinking "Yatu" black tea bag and reading "A Continent for
the taking: The Tragedy and Hope of Africa" by Howard W. French.

Tea in Zambia Ripon Tea 4 07-08-2006 12:42 PM
Pride winery Midlife Wine 1 04-01-2006 06:29 AM
London Pride Joel Beer 2 24-09-2005 09:24 AM
is puritan's pride brand okay? [email protected] General Cooking 6 04-01-2005 06:34 AM