Mydnight

Indeed, it is the reason I always drink before I buy a tea. Whether it
be really 10 to 15 to 85 year old pu'er, it's the taste that ultimately
dictates what I will shell out for a tea. The only reason I say be
careful with what you shell out is they can lie about nearly 10
different variables to increase the "value" of their tea so they can
sell it higher. heh.

Space Cowboy

I still don't understand how you and Sasha solve this problem without
purchasing. My local tea shoppe doesn't make tea the same way I do so
tasting on premise is null and void. I walk away with samples but what
does a couple of pots tell you? I think first impressions of tea are
often misleading especially puerh. The price of tea is simply supply
and demand. You might add hype to puerh especially if you're paying
more than penny/gram. I've shelled out $20 for relative new production
300+g sheng beeng which is still cheaper than my local tea shoppe
prices of $10/100g estate teas. That's my upper limit period
regardless of taste.

Jim

Mydnight wrote:
> Indeed, it is the reason I always drink before I buy a tea. Whether

it
> be really 10 to 15 to 85 year old pu'er, it's the taste that

ultimately
> dictates what I will shell out for a tea. The only reason I say be
> careful with what you shell out is they can lie about nearly 10
> different variables to increase the "value" of their tea so they can
> sell it higher. heh.

Mydnight

Well, firstly I'm in China, the origin of Pu'er. Secondly, anyone here
in China that wouldn't ask to try the tea before buying it is either 1.
a fool or 2. too rich to care. A couple of pots tells me everything
that I need to know, such as, if I'm being cheated or not.

I know that it's nearly impossible to find a shop out of China that
will let you try before you buy in shop but you can at least get
samples.

Also, in China you can tell a lot about a shop by the skill of the boss
as he brews the tea. I am not willing to trust a boss who's gongfu cha
skills are lacking. It shows he doesn't know how to appreciate the tea
and it shows that he's just there trying to make a quick profit.