Stacey Whaley

Default Hallucinogenic Tea, Anyone?

Top Court to Hear Appeal on Hallucinogenic Tea
Tue Apr 19, 8:41 AM ET Oddly Enough - Reuters

By James Vicini

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court said on Monday it would
decide whether the federal government must allow the U.S. branch of a
Brazilian-based religion to import a hallucinogenic tea for use as a
sacrament.

The high court agreed to review a U.S. appeals court ruling that said
the government could not prohibit the sacramental use of the tea
because of a 1993 religious freedom law.

The U.S. Justice Department said that under the ruling the government
must allow the importation and possession of hoasca tea for religious
services, even though it contains an illegal, controlled substance that
can be potentially dangerous.

Members of the religion, O Centro Espirita Beneficiente Uniao do
Vegetal, believe the tea is sacred and that using it connects them to
God. The tea is made from two plants that grow in the Amazon.

Founded in Brazil in 1961, the religion practices a blend of Christian
theology and indigenous South American beliefs. It has about 8,000
members in Brazil.

In 1993, its leader set up a branch in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and it has
about 130 followers in the United States.

In 1999, U.S. Customs inspectors intercepted a shipment from Brazil to
the American branch of three drums labeled "tea extract." U.S. agents
then seized 30 gallons (136 liters) of the tea from the home of Jeffrey
Bronfman, the head of the church's U.S. chapter.

The tea contains dimethyltryptamine, or DMT, a controlled substance.
The government said it had a high potential for abuse and was unsafe
for use even under medical supervision, but attorneys for the religion
said experts testified that sacramental use of the tea caused no harm.

The U.S. branch, Bronfman and several other members sued and sought an
injunction to prevent the federal government from seizing the tea and
to allow its importation and use in religious ceremonies.

Acting Solicitor General Paul Clement of the Justice Department
appealed to the Supreme Court after the government lost before the
appeals court.

"The ... decision has mandated that the federal government open the
nation's borders to the importation, circulation and usage of a
mind-altering hallucinogen and threatens to inflict irreparable harm on
international cooperation in combating transnational narcotics
trafficking," he said.

Attorneys for the religion and its members urged the Supreme Court to
deny the appeal. They said DMT was readily available in the United
States from many sources, including grasses the government recommends
to control roadside erosion.

The Supreme Court will hear arguments in the case and then issue a
decision during its upcoming term that begins in October.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...m/court_tea_dc

-Stacey

Falky foo

no shit, DMT is the real deal when it comes to crazy drug trips. Smoke some
of that stuff and it'll blow your mind to shreds for about 20 minutes.
Apparently you get pushed through a membrane into some sort of parallel
universe and never quite see things the same way again. Not sure how the
tea would work but I'd imagine it would be a slower ride.

"Stacey Whaley" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]
>
> Acting Solicitor General Paul Clement of the Justice Department
> appealed to the Supreme Court after the government lost before the
> appeals court.
>
> "The ... decision has mandated that the federal government open the
> nation's borders to the importation, circulation and usage of a
> mind-altering hallucinogen and threatens to inflict irreparable harm on
> international cooperation in combating transnational narcotics
> trafficking," he said.
>
> Attorneys for the religion and its members urged the Supreme Court to
> deny the appeal. They said DMT was readily available in the United
> States from many sources, including grasses the government recommends
> to control roadside erosion.
>
> The Supreme Court will hear arguments in the case and then issue a
> decision during its upcoming term that begins in October.

Stacey Whaley

Falky foo wrote:
> no shit, DMT is the real deal when it comes to crazy drug trips.

Smoke some
> of that stuff and it'll blow your mind to shreds for about 20

minutes.
> Apparently you get pushed through a membrane into some sort of

parallel
> universe and never quite see things the same way again. Not sure how

the
> tea would work but I'd imagine it would be a slower ride.

Sounds like yet another way to go astral. I wonder how many people
would convert to that religion to get their hands on that tea?

-Stacey

> [...]

> > appealed to the Supreme Court after the government lost before the
> > appeals court.
> >
> > "The ... decision has mandated that the federal government open the
> > nation's borders to the importation, circulation and usage of a
> > mind-altering hallucinogen and threatens to inflict irreparable

harm on
> > international cooperation in combating transnational narcotics
> > trafficking," he said.
> >
> > Attorneys for the religion and its members urged the Supreme Court

> > deny the appeal. They said DMT was readily available in the United
> > States from many sources, including grasses the government

recommends
> > to control roadside erosion.
> >
> > The Supreme Court will hear arguments in the case and then issue a
> > decision during its upcoming term that begins in October.

Stacey Whaley

Falky foo wrote:
> [...]

> > appealed to the Supreme Court after the government lost before the
> > appeals court.
> >
> > "The ... decision has mandated that the federal government open the
> > nation's borders to the importation, circulation and usage of a
> > mind-altering hallucinogen and threatens to inflict irreparable

harm on
> > international cooperation in combating transnational narcotics
> > trafficking," he said.
> >
> > Attorneys for the religion and its members urged the Supreme Court

> > deny the appeal. They said DMT was readily available in the United
> > States from many sources, including grasses the government

recommends
> > to control roadside erosion.
> >
> > The Supreme Court will hear arguments in the case and then issue a
> > decision during its upcoming term that begins in October.

Scott Dorsey

In article > ,
Falky foo > wrote:
>no shit, DMT is the real deal when it comes to crazy drug trips. Smoke some
>of that stuff and it'll blow your mind to shreds for about 20 minutes.
>Apparently you get pushed through a membrane into some sort of parallel
>universe and never quite see things the same way again. Not sure how the
>tea would work but I'd imagine it would be a slower ride.

"The first few stars twinkle flirtatiously. The sun settles in
for the night. Now it's your turn. You kick off your shoes and
unplug with Hazelnut DMT Belgian Cafe. A rich, creamy coffee accented
with a glimmering hint of hallucinogenic drugs. Sip slowly as your
head melts down and splatters across your shirt. As your arms stretch
out thousands of miles into space, reflect upon the day's accomplishments.
Even if all you did was gaze and gaze and gaze at the stars."
--scott

Falky foo

LOL!!
good stuff

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> Falky foo > wrote:
> >no shit, DMT is the real deal when it comes to crazy drug trips. Smoke

some
> >of that stuff and it'll blow your mind to shreds for about 20 minutes.
> >Apparently you get pushed through a membrane into some sort of parallel
> >universe and never quite see things the same way again. Not sure how the
> >tea would work but I'd imagine it would be a slower ride.

> "The first few stars twinkle flirtatiously. The sun settles in
> for the night. Now it's your turn. You kick off your shoes and
> unplug with Hazelnut DMT Belgian Cafe. A rich, creamy coffee accented
> with a glimmering hint of hallucinogenic drugs. Sip slowly as your
> head melts down and splatters across your shirt. As your arms stretch
> out thousands of miles into space, reflect upon the day's accomplishments.
> Even if all you did was gaze and gaze and gaze at the stars."
> --scott

Falky foo

> Sounds like yet another way to go astral. I wonder how many people
> would convert to that religion to get their hands on that tea?

I'd do it

Eric Jorgensen

On 20 Apr 2005 04:31:01 -0700
"Stacey Whaley" > wrote:

> Falky foo wrote:
> > no shit, DMT is the real deal when it comes to crazy drug trips.

> Smoke some
> > of that stuff and it'll blow your mind to shreds for about 20

> minutes.
> > Apparently you get pushed through a membrane into some sort of

> parallel
> > universe and never quite see things the same way again. Not sure how

> the
> > tea would work but I'd imagine it would be a slower ride.

> Sounds like yet another way to go astral. I wonder how many people
> would convert to that religion to get their hands on that tea?

Since the court case involves a health food store of some sort, I'm
guessing that the government's objection is that it's generally available
as a retail product to far more people than the 130 known members of this
unusual christian sect.

The typically cited precedent is the fact that the catholic church was
supplied with wine during prohibition. But that doesn't mean that you could
walk into any store and say "I'm catholic, gimme some sacrament!".

This is more similar to peyote, which you can't just go buy at your
Frontier Co-Op either.

crymad

Falky foo wrote:
>> Sounds like yet another way to go astral. I wonder how many
>> people would convert to that religion to get their hands on
>> that tea?

> I'd do it

Convert? Probably not. But maybe Sunday School every now and then.

--crymad