crymad

Default Coffee Moods...from General Foods

This week, a special feature on the minds of coffee drinkers, as
depicted by the corporate marketing team of General Foods
International Coffees. At one time, these poignant vignettes were
inscribed on the backs of International Coffee tins. Today, they
remain no more. Only through the miracle of photocopy technology
-- and a fortuitous desk cleaning -- am I able to bring these
masterworks of product positioning free prose to you again.

Today's installment...Orange Cappuccino.

"It's dawn. The sun is just beginning its journey against the
pale blue sky. You savor having thee precious moments all to
yourself before the day really begins. It's your time. You hold
your favorite mug filled with creamy Orange Cappuccino close to
you as the steam gently warms your face. You inhale and slowly
sip this irresistible coffee. It's over all too soon. But that's
okay, there's always tomorrow."

--crymad
Melinda

It makes me pay more attention when I realize that marketers are very
interested in telling me what my values should be...I am a sucker for
Levenger's catalogs though....

Melinda

--
"The country has entered an era in which
questions are not asked, for questions are
"crymad" > wrote in message
> This week, a special feature on the minds of coffee drinkers, as
> depicted by the corporate marketing team of General Foods
> International Coffees. At one time, these poignant vignettes were
> inscribed on the backs of International Coffee tins. Today, they
> remain no more. Only through the miracle of photocopy technology
> -- and a fortuitous desk cleaning -- am I able to bring these
> masterworks of product positioning free prose to you again.
>
> Today's installment...Orange Cappuccino.
>
> "It's dawn. The sun is just beginning its journey against the
> pale blue sky. You savor having thee precious moments all to
> yourself before the day really begins. It's your time. You hold
> your favorite mug filled with creamy Orange Cappuccino close to
> you as the steam gently warms your face. You inhale and slowly
> sip this irresistible coffee. It's over all too soon. But that's
> okay, there's always tomorrow."
>
> --crymad

Melinda

"crymad" > wrote in message
> This week, a special feature on the minds of coffee drinkers, as
> depicted by the corporate marketing team of General Foods
> International Coffees. At one time, these poignant vignettes were
> inscribed on the backs of International Coffee tins. Today, they
> remain no more. Only through the miracle of photocopy technology
> -- and a fortuitous desk cleaning -- am I able to bring these
> masterworks of product positioning free prose to you again.
>
> Today's installment...Orange Cappuccino.
>
> "It's dawn. The sun is just beginning its journey against the
> pale blue sky. You savor having thee precious moments all to
> yourself before the day really begins. It's your time. You hold
> your favorite mug filled with creamy Orange Cappuccino close to
> you as the steam gently warms your face. You inhale and slowly
> sip this irresistible coffee. It's over all too soon. But that's
> okay, there's always tomorrow."
>
> --crymad

crymad

crymad wrote:
> This week, a special feature on the minds of coffee drinkers,
> as depicted by the corporate marketing team of General Foods
> International Coffees.

Today's installment...Cafe Francais.

"The delicate pitter patter of the rain outside is soothing as it
gently touches down. You settle into the best seat in the house
and you can practically hear the steam rise from your cup. You
smile in anticipation of the silky smoothness of Cafe Francais.
You sip and just for a few moments your mind takes over and you
relax completely."

--crymad
Lewis Perin

crymad > writes:

> crymad wrote:
> > This week, a special feature on the minds of coffee drinkers,
> > as depicted by the corporate marketing team of General Foods
> > International Coffees.

> Today's installment...Cafe Francais.
>
> "The delicate pitter patter of the rain outside is soothing as it
> gently touches down. You settle into the best seat in the house
> and you can practically hear the steam rise from your cup. You
> smile in anticipation of the silky smoothness of Cafe Francais.
> You sip and just for a few moments your mind takes over and you
> relax completely."

And today's prize goes to the poster who transforms the above into
text suitable for a horror novel (e.g. Stephen King) with the fewest
changes.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Lewis Perin

Lewis Perin > writes:

> crymad > writes:
>
> > crymad wrote:
> > > This week, a special feature on the minds of coffee drinkers,
> > > as depicted by the corporate marketing team of General Foods
> > > International Coffees.

> > Today's installment...Cafe Francais.
> >
> > "The delicate pitter patter of the rain outside is soothing as it
> > gently touches down. You settle into the best seat in the house
> > and you can practically hear the steam rise from your cup. You
> > smile in anticipation of the silky smoothness of Cafe Francais.
> > You sip and just for a few moments your mind takes over and you
> > relax completely."

> And today's prize goes to the poster who transforms the above into
> text suitable for a horror novel (e.g. Stephen King) with the fewest
> changes.

The following isn't from me; it's from Mike Petro, who is currently
unable to post directly to the NG (speaking of horror!)

The delicate pitter patter of the rain outside is soothing as it
gently touches down. You settle into the best seat in the house and
you can practically hear the screams rise from your cup. You cringe
in anticipation of the chemical harshness of Cafe Francais. You sip
and just for a few moments your mind takes over and you vomit
completely.

5 words changed

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Lewis Perin

And here's another Petro-gram fresh from my incoming email:

This one was tougher .... 8 words changed

"It's dawn. The torment is just beginning its journey against the
pale blue sky. You abhor having these precious moments all to
yourself before the nightmare really begins. It's your turn. You
hold your suicide mug filled with creamy Orange Cappuccino close to
you as the steam gently warms your face. You inhale and slowly sip
this poisoned coffee. It's over none too soon. But that's okay,
there's no tomorrow."

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Falky foo

yeh.. I was just thinking.. I don't really think of "relaxation" and
"coffee" together.

"The delicate pitter patter of the rain outside is washing the oil and
assorted crap down the gutters as you swerve onto the road, a cup of Cafe
Francais clutched between your legs. You settle into your car seat as the
morning sun blinds you and the freeway traffic comes to a standstill. You
cringe in anticipation of the monthly executive meeting that will take up
the first half of your day, then you squeeze the cup unconsciously and the
scalding hot liquid spills over your pressed pants and scalds your genitalia
as you scream in agony."

crymad

Lewis Perin wrote:

> And today's prize goes to the poster who transforms the above
> into text suitable for a horror novel (e.g. Stephen King) with
> the fewest changes.

"The delicate pitter patter of the rain outside is soothing as it
gently touches down. You settle into the best seat in the house
and you can practically hear the steam rise from your cup. You
smile in anticipation of the silky smoothness of Cafe Francais.
You sip and just for a few moments your mind takes over and you
realize completely that your life, your family, your friends, your
job, everything is nothing but lies you've been forced to swallow,
just like the phony tinned instant coffee you swallow now. Well,
no more. Tomorrow you buy tea. And a gun. You smile in
anticipation.

--crymad
crymad

crymad wrote:
> This week, a special feature on the minds of coffee drinkers,
> as depicted by the corporate marketing team of General Foods
> International Coffees.

Today's installment...Hazelnut Belgian Cafe.

"The first few stars twinkle flirtatiously. The sun settles in
for the night. Now it's your turn. You kick off your shoes and
unplug with Hazelnut Belgian Cafe. A rich, creamy coffee accented
with a glimmering hint of hazelnut flavor. Sip slowly as you
reflect upon the day's accomplishments. Even if all you did was
gaze at the stars."

--crymad

crymad

crymad wrote:
> This week, a special feature on the minds of coffee drinkers,
> as depicted by the corporate marketing team of General Foods
> International Coffees.

Today's installment...Hazelnut Belgian Cafe.

"The first few stars twinkle flirtatiously. The sun settles in
for the night. Now it's your turn. You kick off your shoes and
unplug with Hazelnut Belgian Cafe. A rich, creamy coffee accented
with a glimmering hint of hazelnut flavor. Sip slowly as you
reflect upon the day's accomplishments. Even if all you did was
gaze at the stars."

--crymad
crymad

crymad wrote:
> This week, a special feature on the minds of coffee drinkers,
> as depicted by the corporate marketing team of General Foods
> International Coffees.

Today's installment...Suisse Mocha.

"Every afternoon about the same time, you reach for your favorite
mug and prepare to slip away to a spa just for chocolate lovers.
You begin with some relaxing aromatherapy and then a long hot dip
in a chocolatey whirlpool. Afterwards you're totally recharged
and you never had to leave your desk. Drift into a chocolatey
daydream and surrender to the deep, dark richness of Suisse Mocha."

--crymad
crymad

crymad wrote:
> This week, a special feature on the minds of coffee drinkers,
> as depicted by the corporate marketing team of General Foods
> International Coffees.

Today's installment...Suisse Mocha.

"Every afternoon about the same time, you reach for your favorite
mug and prepare to slip away to a spa just for chocolate lovers.
You begin with some relaxing aromatherapy and then a long hot dip
in a chocolatey whirlpool. Afterwards you're totally recharged
and you never had to leave your desk. Drift into a chocolatey
daydream and surrender to the deep, dark richness of Suisse Mocha."

--crymad
crymad

crymad wrote:
> This week, a special feature on the minds of coffee drinkers,
> as depicted by the corporate marketing team of General Foods
> International Coffees.

Today's installment...Cafe Vienna.

"There's a chill in the air. The autumn leaves glow brilliantly
against the evening sky. You and a friend stroll casually up the
walkway and talk casually about the day's events. You sit on the
sofa and laugh quietly over a cup of Cafe Vienna...smooth coffee
with a touch of cinnamon flavor."

--crymad
crymad

crymad wrote:
> This week, a special feature on the minds of coffee drinkers,
> as depicted by the corporate marketing team of General Foods
> International Coffees.

Today's installment...Cafe Vienna.

"There's a chill in the air. The autumn leaves glow brilliantly
against the evening sky. You and a friend stroll casually up the
walkway and talk casually about the day's events. You sit on the
sofa and laugh quietly over a cup of Cafe Vienna...smooth coffee
with a touch of cinnamon flavor."

--crymad

Scott Dorsey

Diane L. Schirf > wrote:

>My first reaction is that it lost it for me with "flavor," which reminds
>us that they don't use The Real Thing and that it's a pretty unnatural
>concoction.

It's completely natural! It's a petroleum derivative, which is made from
plants and animals that lived millions of years ago....
--scott
Scott Dorsey

Diane L. Schirf > wrote:

>My first reaction is that it lost it for me with "flavor," which reminds
>us that they don't use The Real Thing and that it's a pretty unnatural
>concoction.

It's completely natural! It's a petroleum derivative, which is made from
plants and animals that lived millions of years ago....
--scott
crymad

crymad wrote:
> This week, a special feature on the minds of coffee drinkers,
> as depicted by the corporate marketing team of General Foods
> International Coffees.

Today's installment...French Vanilla Cafe.

"How do you unplug? It's the last moment of the day. Almost.
You set the mood with a little night music, your favorite 'evening
clothes', and a luscious after-dinner drink -- French Vanilla
Cafe. The rich, creamy taste gradually washes away the day. Savor
a cup of rich, steaming coffee lightened with a touch of vanilla
flavor."

--crymad
crymad

crymad wrote:
> This week, a special feature on the minds of coffee drinkers,
> as depicted by the corporate marketing team of General Foods
> International Coffees.

Today's installment...French Vanilla Cafe.

"How do you unplug? It's the last moment of the day. Almost.
You set the mood with a little night music, your favorite 'evening
clothes', and a luscious after-dinner drink -- French Vanilla
Cafe. The rich, creamy taste gradually washes away the day. Savor
a cup of rich, steaming coffee lightened with a touch of vanilla
flavor."

--crymad
crymad

Diane L. Schirf wrote:
> In article >, crymad
> > wrote:
>
>> 'evening clothes'

> I wonder why the quotes? Was the copywriter thinking black
> leather corset or something?

Hmm...masochism. That _would_ explain choosing to end one's day
with a cup of instant vanilla coffee.

--crymad

crymad

Diane L. Schirf wrote:
> In article >, crymad
> > wrote:
>
>> 'evening clothes'

> I wonder why the quotes? Was the copywriter thinking black
> leather corset or something?

Hmm...masochism. That _would_ explain choosing to end one's day
with a cup of instant vanilla coffee.

--crymad
Melinda

That "drink mix" gives black leather a very bad name.

Melinda

--
"crymad" > wrote in message

> Diane L. Schirf wrote:
>> In article >, crymad
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> 'evening clothes'

>> I wonder why the quotes? Was the copywriter thinking black
>> leather corset or something?

> Hmm...masochism. That _would_ explain choosing to end one's day
> with a cup of instant vanilla coffee.
>
> --crymad

Melinda

"crymad" > wrote in message

> Diane L. Schirf wrote:
>> In article >, crymad
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> 'evening clothes'

>> I wonder why the quotes? Was the copywriter thinking black
>> leather corset or something?

> Hmm...masochism. That _would_ explain choosing to end one's day
> with a cup of instant vanilla coffee.
>
> --crymad

crymad

crymad wrote:
> This week, a special feature on the minds of coffee drinkers,
> as depicted by the corporate marketing team of General Foods
> International Coffees.

The final installment...Sugar Free, Fat Free, French Vanilla Cafe.

"There's a golden glow that glides on the horizon. It must be
dusk. Or is it dawn? Either way, it's time to unplug. You slip
into something smooth and let the satisfying flavor of Sugar Free,
Fat Free, French Vanilla Cafe wash over you. The richness of
steaming coffee lightened with a dash of vanilla flavor always
makes the perfect treat."

--crymad
Scott Dorsey

Diane L. Schirf > wrote:

>Now THIS is masochism. No sugar, no fat, and fake vanilla. It's rich!

Fake vanilla is _perfectly_ natural. It's a byproduct of particle board
manufacture. It comes from wood, which is natural.
--scott

Eric Jorgensen

On 24 Apr 2005 11:40:52 -0400
(Scott Dorsey) wrote:

> Diane L. Schirf > wrote:
> >
> >Now THIS is masochism. No sugar, no fat, and fake vanilla. It's rich!

> Fake vanilla is _perfectly_ natural. It's a byproduct of particle board
> manufacture. It comes from wood, which is natural.

That's not precisely true. The *precursors for it are a product of
particle board manufacture. But fake vanilla is synthesized vanillin, and
vanillin is about 80% of what you taste in natural vanilla. 'fake vanilla'
is synthetic vanillin, manufactured through organic synthesis.

'course, there's nothing unnatural about organic synthesis. laws of
physics & all.

Vanillin was one of the earliest synthesized chemicals, and it's so easy
to make that nearly any organic chemistry class in college will produce
some as an assignment.

The problem with it is twofold.

1: It's only 80% of what you taste in real vanilla, the more subtle
notes are lost. I suspect that many of the factories using it use too much
of it.

2: It's very very cheap. It literally costs about $100/ton if you
purchase it dry at the factory. This means that there's no incentive in the
job. I'm convinced they're sloppy with it, and there are defects in the
synthesis.

For some reason I have a sensitivity to *most fake vanilla, but not to
real vanilla, and not to high quality fake vanilla. For example,
professional bakers use a crystal clear fake vanilla to flavor that
inedible fluffy white crisco-based frosting, and I'm not at all sensitive
to that. Probably because that stuff costs more than the real thing.

Hershey for example uses low grade fake stuff in M&M's, but not always
in the chocolate bars. Go figure.
Eric Jorgensen

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 18:09:02 GMT
"Diane L. Schirf" > wrote:

> In article <20050424105216.686e18a8@wafer>,
> Eric Jorgensen > wrote:
>
> > 1: It's only 80% of what you taste in real vanilla, the more subtle
> > notes are lost. I suspect that many of the factories using it use too
> > much of it.

> I don't have a subtle palate, and I can taste fake vanilla without
> effort. When I was volunteering at a zoo and we'd let kids sniff vanilla
> beans to sniff (product of the rain forest), few kids recognised it as
> what's in ice cream, unless they were used to the Good Stuff.

Yup. There are a bunch of trace flavor compounds in real vanilla.
Vanillin is just the foremost and most recognizable.

> > 2: It's very very cheap. It literally costs about $100/ton if you
> > purchase it dry at the factory. This means that there's no incentive in
> > the job. I'm convinced they're sloppy with it, and there are defects in
> > the synthesis.

> Real vanilla has become pretty pricey. A small bottle, enough to make
> only a few batches of cookies, is $8+. But I'm sticking to it.

The production of vanilla from orchids is very weather sensitive and
labor intensive. If they have a bad year in mexico or madagascar or any of
the other major centers, the price goes way up for a couple years.

Some people like to go to mexico and buy mexican vanilla by the quart.
You can do that, and it can be very good, and a really good deal, but make
sure you buy from a reputable seller and a reputable brand - sometimes the
cheap stuff is cut with coumarin - which smells like vanilla turned up to
11 but tastes slightly bitter, and is a slightly toxic, hemorrhagic agent.

Commercially imported mexican vanilla is inspected by the FDA and hasn't
been found to be corrupted with coumarin in decades, but in bad years the
street vendors in mexico may not be selling the genuine article.

Scott Dorsey

Eric Jorgensen > wrote:

> 1: It's only 80% of what you taste in real vanilla, the more subtle
>notes are lost. I suspect that many of the factories using it use too much
>of it.

I could believe that it is even less than 80%, depending on the sort of
vanilla. For example, Mexican vanilla has a very smooth and buttery
flavour, and to some extent that butteriness even overpowers the dominant
vanilla note in some batches. Madagascar vanilla is much more sharply
flavoured, with a strong bite to it which can also be equally as strong
as the main vanilla note.

> 2: It's very very cheap. It literally costs about $100/ton if you
>purchase it dry at the factory. This means that there's no incentive in the
>job. I'm convinced they're sloppy with it, and there are defects in the
>synthesis.

This may well be the case, but there are a lot of companies that are
making vanilla out there, and it's not that difficult a synthesis. I
would not be surprised if there were some serious variations in taste
between commercial manufactures of vanillin, but I don't want to be the
one to find out. Taste-testing vanillin does not sound fun.

> For some reason I have a sensitivity to *most fake vanilla, but not to
>real vanilla, and not to high quality fake vanilla. For example,
>professional bakers use a crystal clear fake vanilla to flavor that
>inedible fluffy white crisco-based frosting, and I'm not at all sensitive
>to that. Probably because that stuff costs more than the real thing.
>
> Hershey for example uses low grade fake stuff in M&M's, but not always
>in the chocolate bars. Go figure.

For the most part, I think you can get away with the fake stuff in a lot
of cases where the vanilla is being used to hide something, but there is
no way you can get away with it when the vanilla is one of the primary
flavours. If it's being used to hide a bitter flavour in M&Ms, it might
be a fine choice, but if it's being used in a chocolate bar with a strong
vanilla flavour (like most Cadbury's), it won't be.

Incidentally, there are some vanilla teas out there that are made with
fresh beans. The problem is that they don't last very long in storage.
I had one from Hong Kong that was quite good but for the life of me I
cannot remember the name.
--scott