Default Burnt Tounge

Often, after making tea, I take a sip right away; burning my tounge. Is
this harmful for my tastebuds? If tastebuds are burned, do they
regenerate? Thank you for any help =)

Mydnight

They will regenerate, but if you burn them repeatedly you can damage
the cells which could dull your taste. It has been cited as one of the
possible reasons as to why as people get older, their taste sensitivity
decreases; cell damage.

Mydnight wrote:
> They will regenerate, but if you burn them repeatedly you can damage
> the cells which could dull your taste. It has been cited as one of the
> possible reasons as to why as people get older, their taste sensitivity
> decreases; cell damage.

And a follow up to that, a reason why kids are fussy about food. They
are dealing with senses and experiences that are very 'sharp' or extreme.

Ah, the bell curve of enjoyment, that fat middle ground were your senses
and your tastes combine to provide the biggest bang for the buck.

btw- there are (at least) two things to worry about with repeated
burning of the taste buds; one is the regeneration issues already
discussed. Another might be the psychological trouble you might create,
Pavlovian style with pain and reward or lack of.

It would be a drag to train oneself to fear tea.

TBerk

danube

> btw- there are (at least) two things to worry about with repeated burning
> of the taste buds; one is the regeneration issues already discussed.
> Another might be the psychological trouble you might create, Pavlovian
> style with pain and reward or lack of.
>
> It would be a drag to train oneself to fear tea.
>

> TBerk

Adding milk to tea usually removes the danger of burning one's tongue. It
might be worth looking into the situation of regular skin damage and the
onset of cancer. After all, all that cancer is is the uncontrolled
multiplication (or division, in biology this is the same) of cells.

JB
danube

> btw- there are (at least) two things to worry about with repeated burning
> of the taste buds; one is the regeneration issues already discussed.
> Another might be the psychological trouble you might create, Pavlovian
> style with pain and reward or lack of.
>
> It would be a drag to train oneself to fear tea.
>

> TBerk

Adding milk to tea usually removes the danger of burning one's tongue. It
might be worth looking into the situation of regular skin damage and the
onset of cancer. After all, all that cancer is is the uncontrolled
multiplication (or division, in biology this is the same) of cells.

JB

Dave

"danube" > wrote in message
news

> > btw- there are (at least) two things to worry about with repeated

burning
> > of the taste buds; one is the regeneration issues already discussed.
> > Another might be the psychological trouble you might create, Pavlovian
> > style with pain and reward or lack of.
> >
> > It would be a drag to train oneself to fear tea.
> >

> > TBerk

> Adding milk to tea usually removes the danger of burning one's tongue. It
> might be worth looking into the situation of regular skin damage and the
> onset of cancer. After all, all that cancer is is the uncontrolled
> multiplication (or division, in biology this is the same) of cells.
>
> JB

If you burn your tongue, put some sugar on it. Don't know why, but it
helps. Then wait a few minutes for your taste to return to normal and for
your tea to cool a bit, and try again.

Dave

toci

Don't take a sip right away. You might burn your toungue. hth Toci

Melinda

> Adding milk to tea usually removes the danger of burning one's tongue. It
> might be worth looking into the situation of regular skin damage and the
> onset of cancer. After all, all that cancer is is the uncontrolled
> multiplication (or division, in biology this is the same) of cells.

Actually that's right...I seem to remember reading somewhere that repeatedly
burning the inside of the mouth with hot food is something that encourages
cancer. I can try to look it up if people would like...I think it had
something to do with one of the green tea studies they were doing in Japan
awhile back and they found that while green tea seemed to help stave off
cancer, those who drank their tea scalding hot didn't have any advantage. Or
something like that (my apologies to the real scientists in the group for my
being so sloppy...)

> JB

Melinda

--
"The country has entered an era in which
questions are not asked, for questions are

Space Cowboy

If you're burning your lips or tongue you might change cups. Even just
waiting a minute will lower the temperature 5 degrees. There is no
reason to scald any membrane. This is common with coffee drinkers
switching to tea use too that first big swig. When you sip be sure to
smack to spread and aerate the hot liquid. Some teas are noted for
tastng better at lower temperatures. I always boil water and use glass
for pot and cup which radiates heat efficiently. Others prefer
insulative properties of pot and cup such as porcelain and lower
brewing temperature.

Jim

wrote:
> Often, after making tea, I take a sip right away; burning my tounge.

Is
> this harmful for my tastebuds? If tastebuds are burned, do they
> regenerate? Thank you for any help =)

Space Cowboy

wrote:
> Often, after making tea, I take a sip right away; burning my tounge.

Is
> this harmful for my tastebuds? If tastebuds are burned, do they
> regenerate? Thank you for any help =)

Serendip

On 4/17/2005 9:32 PM, Melinda wrote:
>> Adding milk to tea usually removes the danger of burning one's tongue. It
>> might be worth looking into the situation of regular skin damage and the
>> onset of cancer. After all, all that cancer is is the uncontrolled
>> multiplication (or division, in biology this is the same) of cells.
>>

> Actually that's right...I seem to remember reading somewhere that repeatedly
> burning the inside of the mouth with hot food is something that encourages
> cancer. I can try to look it up if people would like...I think it had
> something to do with one of the green tea studies they were doing in Japan
> awhile back and they found that while green tea seemed to help stave off
> cancer, those who drank their tea scalding hot didn't have any advantage. Or
> something like that (my apologies to the real scientists in the group for my
> being so sloppy...)
>
>> JB

> Melinda

Not disagreeing at all, but I would expect that more studies would
revolve around eating pizza. Been there, done that, more times than I
care to remember!

Resa
Melinda

Good point...molten cheese....

Melinda
--
"The country has entered an era in which
questions are not asked, for questions are
daughters of disquiet or arrogance, both
fruits of temptation and the food of sacrilege." Djaout

> Not disagreeing at all, but I would expect that more studies would
> revolve around eating pizza. Been there, done that, more times than I
> care to remember!
>
> Resa

Space Cowboy

Peanut butter on bread toasted in oven. That one gets you on the
gumline above the incisors.

Jim

danube wrote:
>>btw- there are (at least) two things to worry about with repeated burning
>>of the taste buds; one is the regeneration issues already discussed.
>>Another might be the psychological trouble you might create, Pavlovian
>>style with pain and reward or lack of.
>>
>>It would be a drag to train oneself to fear tea.
>>

>>TBerk

> Adding milk to tea usually removes the danger of burning one's tongue. It
> might be worth looking into the situation of regular skin damage and the
> onset of cancer. After all, all that cancer is is the uncontrolled
> multiplication (or division, in biology this is the same) of cells.
>
> JB

Yes, cancer can be caused by mechanical means, this isn't thought of as
likely by most people who consider chemical exposure, radiation, and
genetic 'tricks' but don't realize it can come from something physical.

btw- tea & milk. <sigh> A whole 'nother thread topic.

For me milk in tea and/or coffee makes for a pastel flavor I don't care for.

TBerk