Ripon

Default Tea in Kruger National Park, South Africa

Kruger is the oldest, one of the largest and most protected national
park in the world. South Africa is almost like a developed nation and
they maintain this park with great care, technology and a bunch of
devoted, educated rangers. Kruger National Park is an perfect example
of biodiversities of a national park. This park has many entrance with
couple of different African nations and I went to the Berg-En-Dal Hut
resort area which is near to the Mozambique border. I packed up my tea
accessories and camping equipments for my adventure. Here I am just
posting some tea related moments in Kruger.

You can drive inside Kruger(can't get out from the car) and can see
many animals- Giraffe, Zebra, lion, leopard, Cheetah, Hyena, Impala,
buffalo.. everything. Tourist are usually happy with hang around
inside Kruger because it has a lot of animals everycorner of the park
but I wanted to do something different and more exiting. I contact with
many experienced hunters, traveler before exploring deep inside Kruger.
I took a month long preparation and found out that Kruger has three
main zone- careful(some dangerous animal live there), very careful(you
really have to be very careful for lion, cheetah.) and Dangerous(God
will be with you). I wanted to try the last one because that I was
looking for. Before going to all of this zone, people have to sign up
some paper. The reason is- no one responsible if anything happen to the
explorer. Ah so exciting.. a Tarzan, Tarzan feeling-

When I sigh up they told me- for a while no one showed interest for
dangerous zone and they offered me two rangers with .44 caliber Rugar.
They also warned me last week, they had kill to rhinos which attacked
their camps. Kruger's is getting over populated with animals and they
don't know, what to do. My rangers were one African(David) and another
Dutch-American(Skyla) ranger. In South Africa- I always saw two group
of white people. One speak British accent English, another speak
Africans or English with accent. I always wondered why? Then I found
out Dutch-South African assimilated more with local culture compare to
the brit-South African. I hired them both because they had good resume
and the Dutch-S.African ranger was very knowledgeable about wild life.
I liked her when she told me- she do this job just because she love the
animal and the forest and her dad did the same job. After she saw my
packing, she screamed and say-"You are not going for a vacation Mr.
Ripon. Come on this is a serious tour and leave your 50% items and take
only vital tools. Then I told her, one of my vital thing is- Tea. She
laughed and say, I can take them with me. It was a whole day-night of
hiking, deep inside the forest. After starting the tour at 4:30 AM. I
have also realized- I was supersized a little while I was in US. Well,
it was hard for me but still exciting. Now I start running 3 miles a
day.

The first tea, I drank was my own Lord Ripon's blend while I was
watching hundreds of Impala from a hill. I couldn't take my own food
because too heavy. So according to my guide advise- I took dry elephant
biltong, dried Eland(one type of deer,I guess) biltong, bread, sugar,
some fruits and my three Jozirusi travel sized thermos with hot
water(220F). I found this made in Japan(not made in Thailand) jozirushi
pot work nicely for 24 hours. Skyla is a Roibos drinker and she was
happy to have a tea drinker like me. In the afternoon I had a mug of my
recent favorite Ying Nu Huang(Lapsang Souchong) with dry elephants
biltong with dry bread while I was watching many zebras, Giraffes,
Impala and different kinds of deer from upon a hill. David and Skyla
was very professional and knew which angel is better for watch animal
safely. I saw some very poisonous snakes which can kill or minimum
paralyze people within 3 hours with a bite. We had to be very careful
with a stick in hand and walk very fast sometime because we wanted to
avoid some animals. Skyla was checking many foot prints on the ground
and telling me some lion or leopard is near us within 2 miles or less.
Sometime David smell something in the air and say- we have to change
our track. Oh, the whole thing was so exciting. I saw lion family
resting under tree bush, leopard resting on a tree but always from
different distance. David told me not to be so excited to take pictures
because animals don't like clicking sounds while they rest. Though he
allowed me to take some pictures once in a while. Once I saw 10-15
elephants in a group and while I was taking a picture- the mother
elephants start pushing their kids behind and male elephants came
forward and start moving their ears back and forth. Skyla told- that's
it, they are threatened.

In the evening while it was getting dark, we rest on a hill and put our
small camping tent. It was for killing some time because leopard, lions
dinner time. I was so tired but still quiet energetic for my night time
adventure. David went to check on our next trial and me and skyla start
talking about Africa and animal life. She made a cup of Roibos, I made
my Keemun Mao Feng. When I told her, Roibos has no caffeine, she showed
me some roots which she mix with her drink. I tried some and it was
bitter but of course as usual, I am always adventurous to try new
thing. She was explaining me how elephants are causing a huge threat
for Kruger because last 8 years they increased from 7,000 to 12,000.
They destroy crops, fond of toppling tress which has an negative impact
on biodiversity. They have to kill some elephants otherwise some other
animal will be in danger. According to her- jungle has her own rule and
law. I asked her about herself, why she choose this dangerous job. She
explained to me how guilty feeling she has for their(Dutch) previous
hypocrisy against African people. Her father took this job and taught
her the same. She feels- this all animals are like her children and she
can't leave them. She feel like a mother to them and it is her duty to
take care of them. I was listening her story with great interest while
she was holding her .44 caliber Ruger on her lap. I was thinking- God
made all woman with a motherly instincts. I wish, I could write our
whole conversation but this is tea group. All I can say- while I was
drinking my Keemun, I was lost in space and listening her fascinating
life story, her feeling and love for Africa and her children animals.
She was telling one by one and I was eating and learning about other
side of the story of a ranger. She stop when David came after an hour
and we start our journey again.

I was very quiet on the way back because I was in my deep thought.
Looking at David and Skyla- how brave and kind they are. They make
little money but their heart is even bigger then mine. They are kind,
sacrifice their lives for wild life. I can feel- my intimacy with this
continent is growing day by day. I had a wonderful tour with them and
it was not easy to say- Good bye. We human are wired creature.
Friendship has no boundary and time table. I felt so close to them
within 34 hours. I gave them all my tea because Skyla told me- her
salary can't manage Keemun mao feng but she also gave me her Roibos and
root to me. I gave David my Swiss knife and told him, that's all I have
to offer him right now. I invited both of them in my house in
Mozambique and seemed they were serious. They told me people come, take
tour but never invite them. I promised to them that I will come back
again this part of Kruger and meet them. My love for Africa and African
people are growing more then ever. It is a wonderful continent of mix
of white and black people from all around the world.

Skyla told me, if I want- she can be my guide to 5 days mountain riding
tour to mount Kilimanjaro and the rough Kalahari desert. Yes, I will go
to blend myself with this beautiful continent. Once French Philosopher
Voltaire said- "Open my heart, you will only see the city of Paris." I
want to say- "Open my heart, you will see only the beauty of Africa."

Sorry for this long post. Just couldn't stop sharing my feeling. I love
tea, I love Africa.

Ripon
Maputo, Mozambique

P.S. I got some wonderful shot of wild animal. If you guys are
interested, I can download some to my yahoo account.

DPM

"Ripon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
[snip]

> Sorry for this long post. Just couldn't stop sharing my feeling. I love
> tea, I love Africa.

Ripon,

Great post, wonderful story and observations. I for one will be glad to
read all your travelogs. I'd like to see the pictures, too.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Dean

DPM

"Ripon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
[snip]

> Sorry for this long post. Just couldn't stop sharing my feeling. I love
> tea, I love Africa.

Ripon,

Great post, wonderful story and observations. I for one will be glad to
read all your travelogs. I'd like to see the pictures, too.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Dean

DPM

"Ripon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
[snip]

> Sorry for this long post. Just couldn't stop sharing my feeling. I love
> tea, I love Africa.

Ripon,

Great post, wonderful story and observations. I for one will be glad to
read all your travelogs. I'd like to see the pictures, too.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Dean

Darawen Littlestich

thanks so much for this beautiful narrative, ripon. makes me want to go
there myself and your stories are like a good book; i am awaiting the next
chapter.
darawen

Ripon wrote:
> [...]
> back again this part of Kruger and meet them. My love for Africa and
> African people are growing more then ever. It is a wonderful
> continent of mix of white and black people from all around the world.
>
> Skyla told me, if I want- she can be my guide to 5 days mountain
> riding tour to mount Kilimanjaro and the rough Kalahari desert. Yes,
> I will go to blend myself with this beautiful continent. Once French
> Philosopher Voltaire said- "Open my heart, you will only see the city
> of Paris." I want to say- "Open my heart, you will see only the
> beauty of Africa."
>
> Sorry for this long post. Just couldn't stop sharing my feeling. I
> love tea, I love Africa.
>
> Ripon
> Maputo, Mozambique
>
> P.S. I got some wonderful shot of wild animal. If you guys are
> interested, I can download some to my yahoo account.

jenandcleo

Lovely story. Please post pictures!

Michael Plant

Ripon,

Let me echo what Davawen wrote. When I read it, it's like being there
myself. Please download your pictures.

Michael
Drinking a first grade cooked loose leaf Pu'erh.
Listening to Bessie Smith moan.

Darawen 4/14/05

> [...]
>> back again this part of Kruger and meet them. My love for Africa and
>> African people are growing more then ever. It is a wonderful
>> continent of mix of white and black people from all around the world.
>>
>> Skyla told me, if I want- she can be my guide to 5 days mountain
>> riding tour to mount Kilimanjaro and the rough Kalahari desert. Yes,
>> I will go to blend myself with this beautiful continent. Once French
>> Philosopher Voltaire said- "Open my heart, you will only see the city
>> of Paris." I want to say- "Open my heart, you will see only the
>> beauty of Africa."
>>
>> Sorry for this long post. Just couldn't stop sharing my feeling. I
>> love tea, I love Africa.
>>
>> Ripon
>> Maputo, Mozambique
>>
>> P.S. I got some wonderful shot of wild animal. If you guys are
>> interested, I can download some to my yahoo account.

Space Cowboy

Ripon,

I got some black salt. Any other suggestions for simple uses besides
condiments like achars? The Indian owner told me she considered it as
another masala.

Jim

Ripon

Dear Jim:

The owner is right, it is kind of another masala. If you like eggs in
the morning, you can use a pinch of black salt on your poached,
fried(easy over), soft boil eggs. If you like yogurt just mix a little
black salt and ground coriander seed(as your taste and the amount of
yogurt). You can have this yogurt as a side dish with spicy food. Some
people call it "Raita". Take some slice of cucumber and mix with a
little black salt. This is a wonderful salad for summer time. You can
also do the same with tomatoes. Sometime you need a little time to
develop your taste with black salt like other foods.

Black salt always go nicely with vegetables, eggs and spiced tea. I am
happy to know that you found some black salt. Otherwise, I was thinking
to send some while I am in US next time. Enjoy your black salt and let
us know your experiment.

Ripon
Maputo, Mozambique

Ripon

DPM, Darawen, Jenandcleo & Michael:

I am happy to know that you are enjoying and more on the way. I am
downloading the pictures, trying to choose the best shots for your
view- Thanks.

Ripon
Maputo, Mozambique

Space Cowboy

Thanks. I'm always happy to find a new masala. I don't remember
seeing it in any Indian cookbooks. I think it would be a great
addition to any salad vinaigrette. I'll try it with Balsamic next
time. There is an Indian place in town that makes great chai but a
little too sweet for me. I'll try a pinch on top. I've been looking
for something to reduce the sicking sweet taste of saag. You got me in
the mood for Indian buffet which isn't cheap anymore. BTW neither are
any other buffets. I miss the cafeteria's which have dried up.

Jim

Ripon wrote:
> Dear Jim:
>
> The owner is right, it is kind of another masala. If you like eggs in
> the morning, you can use a pinch of black salt on your poached,
> fried(easy over), soft boil eggs. If you like yogurt just mix a

little
> black salt and ground coriander seed(as your taste and the amount of
> yogurt). You can have this yogurt as a side dish with spicy food.

Some
> people call it "Raita". Take some slice of cucumber and mix with a
> little black salt. This is a wonderful salad for summer time. You can
> also do the same with tomatoes. Sometime you need a little time to
> develop your taste with black salt like other foods.
>
> Black salt always go nicely with vegetables, eggs and spiced tea. I

am
> happy to know that you found some black salt. Otherwise, I was

thinking
> to send some while I am in US next time. Enjoy your black salt and

let
> us know your experiment.
>
> Ripon
> Maputo, Mozambique

TN: Lambrusco, SW (?) France, South Africa DaleW Wine 2 10-07-2008 04:23 PM
South Africa wines Orange River Wine Cellars Wine 0 08-07-2008 03:38 PM
Shira-z from South Africa Richard Neidich Wine 16 18-07-2005 01:46 AM
South Africa wines etc jcoulter Wine 3 16-10-2004 09:20 AM
Bobotee - South Africa Duckie ® Recipes 0 08-02-2004 04:09 PM