Kim

Default Airtight tea storage solution

Hello,

I recently found myself searching for inexpensive, airtight, welded seam
containers to store tea samples. I had several old tins from Republic
of Tea (back from 1995 and 1996), but was dismayed to find that they are
folded seam and thus not airtight! Put water a RoT tin and it leaks
like a sieve! That means stale tea...

The only cost effective canisters I found that are truly airtight are
the Green Canisters made by Stash.

www.stashtea.com

I have several of these canisters and they are lovely - airtight,
double lidded, welded seamed. The only drawback, is that even the small
canister is too large for keeping tea samples fresh.

After more searching, I found an inexpensive solution for small volumes
of tea. Paint cans - perfect airtight storage!

I ordered 1/4 pint ($9.34 for 12) and 1/2 pint ($10.56 for 12) paint
cans from Enco after talking to their tech support to verify that the
cans were safe for food storage.

www.use-enco.com

Not only are these cans extremely effective for keeping tea fresh, you
can make your own fancy labels.

The 1/4 pint can holds 1 - 2 oz. of small leaf, pearl and gunpowder
style tea. The 1/2 pint can is perfect for 1/2 oz - 1 oz. of large leaf
and oolong tea. I imagine the 1 pint cans would hold 3.5 - 4 oz. of
average sized leaf.

Anyway, I hope some of you find this useful. I know I'm not the only
one here with 20 or more tea samples and a need for cheap, effective
storage.

Kim

Serendip

On 4/8/2005 11:42 AM, Kim wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently found myself searching for inexpensive, airtight, welded seam
> containers to store tea samples. I had several old tins from Republic
> of Tea (back from 1995 and 1996), but was dismayed to find that they are
> folded seam and thus not airtight! Put water a RoT tin and it leaks
> like a sieve! That means stale tea...
>
> The only cost effective canisters I found that are truly airtight are
> the Green Canisters made by Stash.
>
> www.stashtea.com
>
> I have several of these canisters and they are lovely - airtight,
> double lidded, welded seamed. The only drawback, is that even the small
> canister is too large for keeping tea samples fresh.
>
> After more searching, I found an inexpensive solution for small volumes
> of tea. Paint cans - perfect airtight storage!
>
> I ordered 1/4 pint ($9.34 for 12) and 1/2 pint ($10.56 for 12) paint
> cans from Enco after talking to their tech support to verify that the
> cans were safe for food storage.
>
> www.use-enco.com
>
> Not only are these cans extremely effective for keeping tea fresh, you
> can make your own fancy labels.
>
> The 1/4 pint can holds 1 - 2 oz. of small leaf, pearl and gunpowder
> style tea. The 1/2 pint can is perfect for 1/2 oz - 1 oz. of large leaf
> and oolong tea. I imagine the 1 pint cans would hold 3.5 - 4 oz. of
> average sized leaf.
>
> Anyway, I hope some of you find this useful. I know I'm not the only
> one here with 20 or more tea samples and a need for cheap, effective
> storage.
>

> Kim

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the link!

Quick question - I have 1/2 pint paint cans of enamels, etc., but have
never seen a 1/4 pint can. Are they simply smaller all the way around,
or flatter, meaning they look like, well... like tuna fish cans? I'm
guessing you use an opener (okay, this is two questions - sorry!) to pry
off the lids... do they seem like they will easily bend/warp?

Thanks!!
Serendip

On 4/8/2005 11:42 AM, Kim wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently found myself searching for inexpensive, airtight, welded seam
> containers to store tea samples. I had several old tins from Republic
> of Tea (back from 1995 and 1996), but was dismayed to find that they are
> folded seam and thus not airtight! Put water a RoT tin and it leaks
> like a sieve! That means stale tea...
>
> The only cost effective canisters I found that are truly airtight are
> the Green Canisters made by Stash.
>
> www.stashtea.com
>
> I have several of these canisters and they are lovely - airtight,
> double lidded, welded seamed. The only drawback, is that even the small
> canister is too large for keeping tea samples fresh.
>
> After more searching, I found an inexpensive solution for small volumes
> of tea. Paint cans - perfect airtight storage!
>
> I ordered 1/4 pint ($9.34 for 12) and 1/2 pint ($10.56 for 12) paint
> cans from Enco after talking to their tech support to verify that the
> cans were safe for food storage.
>
> www.use-enco.com
>
> Not only are these cans extremely effective for keeping tea fresh, you
> can make your own fancy labels.
>
> The 1/4 pint can holds 1 - 2 oz. of small leaf, pearl and gunpowder
> style tea. The 1/2 pint can is perfect for 1/2 oz - 1 oz. of large leaf
> and oolong tea. I imagine the 1 pint cans would hold 3.5 - 4 oz. of
> average sized leaf.
>
> Anyway, I hope some of you find this useful. I know I'm not the only
> one here with 20 or more tea samples and a need for cheap, effective
> storage.
>

> Kim

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the link!

Quick question - I have 1/2 pint paint cans of enamels, etc., but have
never seen a 1/4 pint can. Are they simply smaller all the way around,
or flatter, meaning they look like, well... like tuna fish cans? I'm
guessing you use an opener (okay, this is two questions - sorry!) to pry
off the lids... do they seem like they will easily bend/warp?

Thanks!!

What might anyone think of dry ice used to displace the O2 prior to
sealing it up?

I'm not thinking of dropping a chunk in and sealing but rather letting
it 'steep' a bit as it outgasses then remove and seal.

Prob more a laboratory experiment than something practical but obsession
is it's own reward, eh?

;])

btw- I like the paint can idea, I initially thought of these glass
containers I have seen with soft silicon seals. Likely a bit more costly
than the cans though.

TBerk
Dee

Kim > wrote in :

> Hello,
>
> I recently found myself searching for inexpensive, airtight, welded seam
> containers to store tea samples. I had several old tins from Republic
> of Tea (back from 1995 and 1996), but was dismayed to find that they are
> folded seam and thus not airtight! Put water a RoT tin and it leaks
> like a sieve! That means stale tea...
>
> The only cost effective canisters I found that are truly airtight are
> the Green Canisters made by Stash.

I use a Tilia Foodsaver to vacuum seal tea in pint Mason jars. I also use
the bags to make individual servings of tea to take with me on trips, etc.
I've been doing this for about a year now and it works really well. The
tea stays as fresh as the day I buy it.

Dee

Dee

Kim > wrote in :

> Hello,
>
> I recently found myself searching for inexpensive, airtight, welded seam
> containers to store tea samples. I had several old tins from Republic
> of Tea (back from 1995 and 1996), but was dismayed to find that they are
> folded seam and thus not airtight! Put water a RoT tin and it leaks
> like a sieve! That means stale tea...
>
> The only cost effective canisters I found that are truly airtight are
> the Green Canisters made by Stash.

I use a Tilia Foodsaver to vacuum seal tea in pint Mason jars. I also use
the bags to make individual servings of tea to take with me on trips, etc.
I've been doing this for about a year now and it works really well. The
tea stays as fresh as the day I buy it.

Dee
Mike Petro

I will second that! I have been using a foodsaver for almost 10 years
now and if you want to preserve freshness they are hard to beat. The
only downside is that the special bags are expensive.

There is a commercial model available, in the same price range, that
uses much much cheaper bags, and will probably be my next purchase.
http://www.sorbentsystems.com/sinbosealer.html For the ultimate in
freshness get a model that supports the "gas flush" option and use
nitrogen to flush prior to sealing.

Actually I recommend exploring this whole site thoroughly, I have done
a lot of business with these guys over the years and they have good
quality Industrial grade stuff. Good source for Desiccants, bags, and
all sorts of food packaging goodies.

Not affiliated, just a very satisfied customer.......

Mike
http://www.pu-erh.net

On 4/10/2005 10:43 AM, Dee wrote:
> Kim > wrote in :
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I recently found myself searching for inexpensive, airtight, welded seam
>> containers to store tea samples. I had several old tins from Republic
>> of Tea (back from 1995 and 1996), but was dismayed to find that they are
>> folded seam and thus not airtight! Put water a RoT tin and it leaks
>> like a sieve! That means stale tea...
>>
>> The only cost effective canisters I found that are truly airtight are
>> the Green Canisters made by Stash.

> I use a Tilia Foodsaver to vacuum seal tea in pint Mason jars. I also use
> the bags to make individual servings of tea to take with me on trips, etc.
> I've been doing this for about a year now and it works really well. The
> tea stays as fresh as the day I buy it.
>
> Dee

Great suggestion! (I have a Foodsaver, so should have thought of this!)

Do you need to use the coffee filter trick with the tea, or does the
vacuum not pull the leaves out?

Thanks!

Resa
Michael Plant

4/8/05

> Hello,
>
> I recently found myself searching for inexpensive, airtight, welded seam
> containers to store tea samples. I had several old tins from Republic
> of Tea (back from 1995 and 1996), but was dismayed to find that they are
> folded seam and thus not airtight! Put water a RoT tin and it leaks
> like a sieve! That means stale tea...
>
> The only cost effective canisters I found that are truly airtight are
> the Green Canisters made by Stash.

www.stashtea.com

> I have several of these canisters and they are lovely - airtight,
> double lidded, welded seamed. The only drawback, is that even the small
> canister is too large for keeping tea samples fresh.
>
> After more searching, I found an inexpensive solution for small volumes
> of tea. Paint cans - perfect airtight storage!
>
> I ordered 1/4 pint ($9.34 for 12) and 1/2 pint ($10.56 for 12) paint
> cans from Enco after talking to their tech support to verify that the
> cans were safe for food storage.
>
> www.use-enco.com
>
> Not only are these cans extremely effective for keeping tea fresh, you
> can make your own fancy labels.
>
> The 1/4 pint can holds 1 - 2 oz. of small leaf, pearl and gunpowder
> style tea. The 1/2 pint can is perfect for 1/2 oz - 1 oz. of large leaf
> and oolong tea. I imagine the 1 pint cans would hold 3.5 - 4 oz. of
> average sized leaf.
>
> Anyway, I hope some of you find this useful. I know I'm not the only
> one here with 20 or more tea samples and a need for cheap, effective
> storage.
>

> Kim

Kim,

Thanks for the information. I've been searching the earth for really good
containers for small samples.

Michael

Kim

Hi there,

Sorry for the long delay in replying...Comcast accidentally disconnected
our line on Friday while installing a new tenant's line. The tech just
fixed it, so I'm back in business!

The 1/4 pint cans are the identical to a regular sized paint can, just
much smaller. They are about 5 cm (2") tall and 6 cm (2 1/2") wide.

I use the thin, flat end of my tea scoop to open the lids. The lids are
not especially susceptible to bending, though I imagine one could damage
them if too much force was used.

Overall, I think they hold up remarkably well. I rinsed mine with mild
soap and water and rinsed them several times. I hand dried them and
then let them sit overnight to ensure all moisture had evaporated before
filling with tea.

Kim

Serendip wrote:
> Quick question - I have 1/2 pint paint cans of enamels, etc., but have
> never seen a 1/4 pint can. Are they simply smaller all the way around,
> or flatter, meaning they look like, well... like tuna fish cans? I'm
> guessing you use an opener (okay, this is two questions - sorry!) to pry
> off the lids... do they seem like they will easily bend/warp?
>
> Thanks!!

Serendip

On 4/11/2005 12:51 PM, Kim wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Sorry for the long delay in replying...Comcast accidentally disconnected
> our line on Friday while installing a new tenant's line. The tech just
> fixed it, so I'm back in business!

Cable companies... sigh. Mine has been here for an hour, spray painting
the lawn, so when another truck comes at the end of the week or next
week, they will know where to bury a line. I asked what happens if it
rains - the paint will wash away. I asked why they paint so far in
advance - it fits their schedule. I asked what happens if it rains
between now and then - the line burying people can't bury the line. And
they start all over. I may ask them to switch to green paint, since it's
never going to be seen by the second truck anyway. Sigh.

> The 1/4 pint cans are the identical to a regular sized paint can, just
> much smaller. They are about 5 cm (2") tall and 6 cm (2 1/2") wide.

Thanks!

> I use the thin, flat end of my tea scoop to open the lids. The lids are
> not especially susceptible to bending, though I imagine one could damage
> them if too much force was used.

Perfect, and come to think of it, since they aren't getting gunked up
with paint, should remain easy to remove and replace.

> Overall, I think they hold up remarkably well. I rinsed mine with mild
> soap and water and rinsed them several times. I hand dried them and
> then let them sit overnight to ensure all moisture had evaporated before
> filling with tea.

Thanks, Kim!!

Resa

> Serendip wrote:
>> Quick question - I have 1/2 pint paint cans of enamels, etc., but have
>> never seen a 1/4 pint can. Are they simply smaller all the way around,
>> or flatter, meaning they look like, well... like tuna fish cans? I'm
>> guessing you use an opener (okay, this is two questions - sorry!) to pry
>> off the lids... do they seem like they will easily bend/warp?
>>
>> Thanks!!

Kim

Serendip wrote:

> Cable companies... sigh. Mine has been here for an hour, spray painting
> the lawn, so when another truck comes at the end of the week or next
> week, they will know where to bury a line. I asked what happens if it
> rains - the paint will wash away. I asked why they paint so far in
> advance - it fits their schedule. I asked what happens if it rains
> between now and then - the line burying people can't bury the line. And
> they start all over. I may ask them to switch to green paint, since it's
> never going to be seen by the second truck anyway. Sigh.

Ha, Exactly! The line tech that was here this morning was shocked that
our junction box needs upgrading (all the others in the neighborhood
were upgraded last year). He's sending out a crew this week to do the
upgrade. Translation: We're going to break your mostly working line and
then you are going to have to call us a million times to get it fixed.
Sigh, indeed.

> Thanks, Kim!!
>
> Resa

You are most welcome! I'm enjoying an outstanding Competition Monkey
Picked Tie Guanyin from Holy Mountain Trading Company. I hope your day
is just as lovely!

Kim
Kim

Serendip wrote:

> Cable companies... sigh. Mine has been here for an hour, spray painting
> the lawn, so when another truck comes at the end of the week or next
> week, they will know where to bury a line. I asked what happens if it
> rains - the paint will wash away. I asked why they paint so far in
> advance - it fits their schedule. I asked what happens if it rains
> between now and then - the line burying people can't bury the line. And
> they start all over. I may ask them to switch to green paint, since it's
> never going to be seen by the second truck anyway. Sigh.

Ha, Exactly! The line tech that was here this morning was shocked that
our junction box needs upgrading (all the others in the neighborhood
were upgraded last year). He's sending out a crew this week to do the
upgrade. Translation: We're going to break your mostly working line and
then you are going to have to call us a million times to get it fixed.
Sigh, indeed.

> Thanks, Kim!!
>
> Resa

You are most welcome! I'm enjoying an outstanding Competition Monkey
Picked Tie Guanyin from Holy Mountain Trading Company. I hope your day
is just as lovely!

Kim

Airtight Loaf Storage Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 11 13-12-2007 12:27 PM
What's your spice storage solution? Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com General Cooking 55 17-08-2005 04:11 PM
Airtight tea storage solution Kim Tea 0 08-04-2005 04:42 PM
tupperware lid storage - a solution? JLove98905 General Cooking 5 05-04-2004 10:12 PM
Question about PH Meter Storage Solution Paul S. Remington Winemaking 13 14-10-2003 03:56 PM