Space Cowboy

Default Google Chinese search string for "puerh"

I think this should work. I don't have any Chinese fonts, Unicode, or
UTF-8 on the computer tested. Google will even try to translate when
it can. When it can't look anyway. You might even see some pictures
of Puerh not on the English websites.

This is the Google Chinese search string for "puerh":

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l... 1%E8%8C%B6%22

Jim

Melinda

Ooo, fun Jim, thanks!!

Melinda

--
"The country has entered an era in which
questions are not asked, for questions are
"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I think this should work. I don't have any Chinese fonts, Unicode, or
> UTF-8 on the computer tested. Google will even try to translate when
> it can. When it can't look anyway. You might even see some pictures
> of Puerh not on the English websites.
>
> This is the Google Chinese search string for "puerh":
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l... 1%E8%8C%B6%22
>
> Jim

Michael Plant

Space 4/7/05

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...6%B4%B 1%E8%8
> C%B6%22
>
> Jim

Thanks, Jim. I've got one computer that does an excellent job displaying the
fonts. I'll take a careful look through this evening. Could be very
interesting. Wonder what Altavista Babelfish will do with those sites.

Michael

Michael Plant

Space 4/7/05

> I think this should work. I don't have any Chinese fonts, Unicode, or
> UTF-8 on the computer tested. Google will even try to translate when
> it can. When it can't look anyway. You might even see some pictures
> of Puerh not on the English websites.
>
> This is the Google Chinese search string for "puerh":

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...6%B4%B 1%E8%8
> C%B6%22
>
> Jim

Thanks, Jim. I've got one computer that does an excellent job displaying the
fonts. I'll take a careful look through this evening. Could be very
interesting. Wonder what Altavista Babelfish will do with those sites.

Michael

Lewis Perin

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...22%E6%99%AE%E6
> > %B4%B1%E8%8C%B6%22
> >
> > Jim
> >

> Thanks, Jim. I've got one computer that does an excellent job
> displaying the fonts. I'll take a careful look through this
> evening. Could be very interesting. Wonder what Altavista Babelfish
> will do with those sites.

The results are...interesting. Seriously, if you spend lots of time
at it, and keep searching when you run into something you don't
understand, you can learn a lot. That's one of the main ways I find
things to add to the Babelcarp database. But if you don't install
Chinese fonts on your computer, you've got one hand tied behind your
back when it comes to searching Chinese sites: I find it important to
combine translations, however sketchy, with the Chinese characters.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Lewis Perin

Michael Plant > writes:

> Space 4/7/05
>

> > I think this should work. I don't have any Chinese fonts, Unicode, or
> > UTF-8 on the computer tested. Google will even try to translate when
> > it can. When it can't look anyway. You might even see some pictures
> > of Puerh not on the English websites.
> >
> > This is the Google Chinese search string for "puerh":

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...22%E6%99%AE%E6
> > %B4%B1%E8%8C%B6%22
> >
> > Jim
> >

> Thanks, Jim. I've got one computer that does an excellent job
> displaying the fonts. I'll take a careful look through this
> evening. Could be very interesting. Wonder what Altavista Babelfish
> will do with those sites.

The results are...interesting. Seriously, if you spend lots of time
at it, and keep searching when you run into something you don't
understand, you can learn a lot. That's one of the main ways I find
things to add to the Babelcarp database. But if you don't install
Chinese fonts on your computer, you've got one hand tied behind your
back when it comes to searching Chinese sites: I find it important to
combine translations, however sketchy, with the Chinese characters.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Space Cowboy

Let us know what Babel can do with those sites. Here is an url for a
cooked teabrick I bought in my Chinatown which according to the
translated website is at least seven years old :

http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?hl...as_qdr%3D all

Notice the commonly used word Chen. It's used to describe the desired
aged taste of puer. At first I thought it mean Camphor also produced
by aging but more encompassing of other aging factors. You'll often
see the word paired with Xiang which means fragrance. The brick
doesn't have that smoked oyster taste. The taste is agreeable and
smooth without being overwhelming. At least it is a benchmark for me
to judge other cooked puerh. Once again you see translated warnings to
avoid uncontrolled wet warehouse processed puerh which include caves
and basements. Only consume puerh created under controlled
environmental conditions. Now I wondering if that oyster soup taste
I've encountered before is the result of mildew which is a byproduct of
the wet storage method. That taste seems to be associated with puerh
that crumbles by hand and not like this one which needs tools.

Jim

Michael Plant wrote:
> Space

4/7/05

> > I think this should work. I don't have any Chinese fonts, Unicode,

or
> > UTF-8 on the computer tested. Google will even try to translate

when
> > it can. When it can't look anyway. You might even see some

pictures
> > of Puerh not on the English websites.
> >
> > This is the Google Chinese search string for "puerh":

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...6%B4%B 1%E8%8
> > C%B6%22
> >
> > Jim
> >

> Thanks, Jim. I've got one computer that does an excellent job

displaying the
> fonts. I'll take a careful look through this evening. Could be very
> interesting. Wonder what Altavista Babelfish will do with those

sites.

> Michael

Space Cowboy

Michael Plant wrote:
> Space

4/7/05

> > I think this should work. I don't have any Chinese fonts, Unicode,

or
> > UTF-8 on the computer tested. Google will even try to translate

when
> > it can. When it can't look anyway. You might even see some

pictures
> > of Puerh not on the English websites.
> >
> > This is the Google Chinese search string for "puerh":

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...6%B4%B 1%E8%8
> > C%B6%22
> >
> > Jim
> >

> Thanks, Jim. I've got one computer that does an excellent job

displaying the
> fonts. I'll take a careful look through this evening. Could be very
> interesting. Wonder what Altavista Babelfish will do with those

sites.

> Michael

Space Cowboy

I know the PinYin and characters for just about every Chinese related
tea term I've every encountered over the last thirty years. I just
plug along as I go. Sorry I've never been too your site. Does it use
Unicode characters? A graphics display like the Zhongwen site doesn't
do much good.

Jim

Lewis Perin wrote:
> The results are...interesting. Seriously, if you spend lots of time
> at it, and keep searching when you run into something you don't
> understand, you can learn a lot. That's one of the main ways I find
> things to add to the Babelcarp database. But if you don't install
> Chinese fonts on your computer, you've got one hand tied behind your
> back when it comes to searching Chinese sites: I find it important to
> combine translations, however sketchy, with the Chinese characters.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Lewis Perin

"Space Cowboy" > writes:

> Lewis Perin wrote:
> > The results are...interesting. Seriously, if you spend lots of time
> > at it, and keep searching when you run into something you don't
> > understand, you can learn a lot. That's one of the main ways I find
> > things to add to the Babelcarp database. But if you don't install
> > Chinese fonts on your computer, you've got one hand tied behind your
> > back when it comes to searching Chinese sites: I find it important to
> > combine translations, however sketchy, with the Chinese characters.
> >

> I know the PinYin and characters for just about every Chinese related
> tea term I've every encountered over the last thirty years. I just
> plug along as I go. Sorry I've never been too your site. Does it use
> Unicode characters? A graphics display like the Zhongwen site doesn't
> do much good.

If you'd like to continue this offline, my email address isn't munged.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Space Cowboy

???. All I did was plug the Unicode for Puerh into Google to generate
the search string. That's not even worth a sip of Guinness. I'm
looking for more Unicodes for other tea terms. Kuri and Jing could sit
down and easily generate a whole thread full of them that would be
useful in Google searches. I cull them as I go. You'd think a site
would exist that would save me the time and effort. Use Google to
learn how to refabricate my obsolete email address. Last year MSN
carried MLB.TV for free. This year they dropped it.

Jim

Lewis Perin wrote:
> "Space Cowboy" > writes:

....I delete me...

> If you'd like to continue this offline, my email address isn't

munged.

> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Lewis Perin

"Space Cowboy" > writes:

> Use Google to learn how to refabricate my obsolete email address.

This doesn't seem like the kind of puzzle I'd take on for fun.

> /Lew

---
Lew Perin /
Lewis Perin

"Space Cowboy" > writes:

> Use Google to learn how to refabricate my obsolete email address.

This doesn't seem like the kind of puzzle I'd take on for fun.

> /Lew

---
Lew Perin /
Space Cowboy

Change the user to thenetstuff and the isp to msn.com. I decided to
stick with the obsolete email address for continuity. I've only had
two offline discussion in ten years in this group. When you use Google
and IE to search international websites you'll often see the standard
empty box for a missing Unicode glyph (character representation).
These are hidden Unicodes of four hexadecimal string per character
which your computer still understands and can process. The 4
hexadecimal codes can represent every character in every language. The
Unicode hexadecimal string for tea is 8336 and can be viewed at
http://www.unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUn...codepoint=8336. This
is a website that displays CJK(Chinese,Japanese,Korean) characters
using the Unicode 4 hexadecimal codes. The Korean Unicode character
for tea is CC28. The Japanese character for tea is the same as the
Chinese. If all empty boxes that are displayed are different Unicodes
how do you know which one is used for tea? That is the quandary. I
have a routine where I can copy and paste the Unicode empty box
representations which will give me the four hexadecimal codes per
character which I look up using Unihan if they are CJK. I've got a
Notepad txt file for many tea related Unicodes I've encounter. It
shows the empty boxes just like IE. To store Unicodes in a Notepad
file make sure the Encoding is set to Unicode when you save it. I just
copy and paste them into Google when I do searches such as the Puerh
search I gave earlier. It's the domino effect where you start with one
Unicode string(s) and cull what Google gives you for other Unicode
strings. You'll need to encounter an international website that is a
mixture and English and some other language indicating a corresponding
translation involving Unicodes. I do have a life but there was a
blizzard over the weekend so I had too much time on my hands.

Jim