toci

Space Cowboy wrote:
> Which raises a question I don't think discussed before. Does your
> spouse/so also drink tea? In my domicile I pick and prepare the tea
> with my wife drinking the whatever so long as it isn't some smokey
> Chinese. On the weekends she'll drink hot tea but the weekdays she
> likes it cold from the refrigerator after work. We have a ritual

where
> any tea I buy she gets to smell first too let me know if she can

drink
> it even is some innocuous Ceylon. It has to pass her smokey test.

The
> last TGY I bought just about passed that test. I was so close. She
> said she could probably drink it weak and chilled with lime. She

knows
> when I make the Chinese teas she doesn't like and she'll let me know

in
> a condescending way. Other than that we're on the same tea scale.

She
> knows what to buy in tea accoutrements. She bought some $10 closeout
> tetsubins for Christmas.
>
> Jim
>
> Derek wrote:
> > Neither my wife nor I like coffee. We drink tea because we're
> > craving a hot beverage with caffeine. We love the flavors and we

love
> > trying new types - scented, flavored, blended, or otherwise
> > unadulterated.

My exso spent several years in the East, mainly India, and came back
unaccounably with an antipathy to Eastern food and drink. He won't
touch curry, even to be polite. He will drink instant decaffinated
Lipton tea with lemon and artificial sweetener. Toci

toci

Space Cowboy wrote:
> Which raises a question I don't think discussed before. Does your
> spouse/so also drink tea? In my domicile I pick and prepare the tea
> with my wife drinking the whatever so long as it isn't some smokey
> Chinese. On the weekends she'll drink hot tea but the weekdays she
> likes it cold from the refrigerator after work. We have a ritual

where
> any tea I buy she gets to smell first too let me know if she can

drink
> it even is some innocuous Ceylon. It has to pass her smokey test.

The
> last TGY I bought just about passed that test. I was so close. She
> said she could probably drink it weak and chilled with lime. She

knows
> when I make the Chinese teas she doesn't like and she'll let me know

in
> a condescending way. Other than that we're on the same tea scale.

She
> knows what to buy in tea accoutrements. She bought some $10 closeout
> tetsubins for Christmas.
>
> Jim
>
> Derek wrote:
> > Neither my wife nor I like coffee. We drink tea because we're
> > craving a hot beverage with caffeine. We love the flavors and we

love
> > trying new types - scented, flavored, blended, or otherwise
> > unadulterated.

My exso spent several years in the East, mainly India, and came back
unaccounably with an antipathy to Eastern food and drink. He won't
touch curry, even to be polite. He will drink instant decaffinated
Lipton tea with lemon and artificial sweetener. Toci

Bluesea

"Bluesea" > wrote in message

> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > I've given up on everything but glass. It is easier to clean plus
> > added visual aesthetics.

> Yes, that's why I use a glass mug, but I can't drag myself away from the
> others, yet.

Last night, instead of using my bone china mug for my white tea, I tossed
the leaves into my glass mug, filled with 140°F water, stuffed filter paper
up a straw, and enjoyed the visual all night along with the taste, refilling
the water as needed.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

"Bluesea" > wrote in message

> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > I've given up on everything but glass. It is easier to clean plus
> > added visual aesthetics.

> Yes, that's why I use a glass mug, but I can't drag myself away from the
> others, yet.

Last night, instead of using my bone china mug for my white tea, I tossed
the leaves into my glass mug, filled with 140°F water, stuffed filter paper
up a straw, and enjoyed the visual all night along with the taste, refilling
the water as needed.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Eric Jorgensen

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:48:40 -0500
"Bluesea" > wrote:

>=20
> "Bluesea" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> > > I've given up on everything but glass. It is easier to clean plus
> > > added visual aesthetics.

> > Yes, that's why I use a glass mug, but I can't drag myself away from
> > the others, yet.

>=20
> Last night, instead of using my bone china mug for my white tea, I tossed
> the leaves into my glass mug, filled with 140=B0F water, stuffed filter
> paper up a straw, and enjoyed the visual all night along with the taste,
> refilling the water as needed.

Yerba Mate drinkers solved that problem years ago:=20

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...360005-7390212

Eric Jorgensen

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:48:40 -0500
"Bluesea" > wrote:

>=20
> "Bluesea" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> > > I've given up on everything but glass. It is easier to clean plus
> > > added visual aesthetics.

> > Yes, that's why I use a glass mug, but I can't drag myself away from
> > the others, yet.

>=20
> Last night, instead of using my bone china mug for my white tea, I tossed
> the leaves into my glass mug, filled with 140=B0F water, stuffed filter
> paper up a straw, and enjoyed the visual all night along with the taste,
> refilling the water as needed.

Yerba Mate drinkers solved that problem years ago:=20

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...360005-7390212

Bluesea

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:48:40 -0500
"Bluesea" > wrote:

> Last night, instead of using my bone china mug for my white tea, I tossed
> the leaves into my glass mug, filled with 140°F water, stuffed filter
> paper up a straw, and enjoyed the visual all night along with the taste,
> refilling the water as needed.

Yerba Mate drinkers solved that problem years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...360005-7390212

How do they clean the inside of the straw?

I used a disposable straw and was thinking of looking for a glass one (I
don't like the metallic taste that the S/S lip of a traveler's mug gives
me), but I don't know how to clean the build-ups from the inside of a straw
and want to avoid crossing flavors.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

"Bluesea" > wrote:

> Last night, instead of using my bone china mug for my white tea, I tossed
> the leaves into my glass mug, filled with 140°F water, stuffed filter
> paper up a straw, and enjoyed the visual all night along with the taste,
> refilling the water as needed.

Yerba Mate drinkers solved that problem years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...360005-7390212

How do they clean the inside of the straw?

I used a disposable straw and was thinking of looking for a glass one (I
don't like the metallic taste that the S/S lip of a traveler's mug gives
me), but I don't know how to clean the build-ups from the inside of a straw
and want to avoid crossing flavors.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Eric Jorgensen

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:42:51 -0500
"Bluesea" > wrote:

>=20
> "Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:48:40 -0500
> "Bluesea" > wrote:
> >
> > Last night, instead of using my bone china mug for my white tea, I
> > tossed the leaves into my glass mug, filled with 140=B0F water, stuffed
> > filter paper up a straw, and enjoyed the visual all night along with
> > the taste, refilling the water as needed.

>=20
>=20
> Yerba Mate drinkers solved that problem years ago:
>=20
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...-8360005-7390=

212
>=20
>=20
> How do they clean the inside of the straw?

You know, I don't think they do. It's got a lot more kick than tea, and
is probably more habit forming.=20

Maybe I'm just more obsessive than my mate-drinking coworker, I wipe
down and air dry my glassware after every cup of tea, and give it all a
full wash once a week. But I've never seen him do more than scrape the old
leaves out of his gourd.=20

http://store.amigofoods.com/yemabo2.html

Most of the bombillas at that site unscrew for cleaning. My guess is
they just get flushed with water.=20

> I used a disposable straw and was thinking of looking for a glass one (I
> don't like the metallic taste that the S/S lip of a traveler's mug gives
> me), but I don't know how to clean the build-ups from the inside of a
> straw and want to avoid crossing flavors.

Yeah, there's really only one flavor of yerba mate.=20

As for stainless steel having a flavor, I find that a slightly odd
concept - but there are varying grades of stainless steel. There might be
some electrolysis or something going on. *shrug*.=20

Stainless steel - or silver if you're wealthy - seem to be the materials
of choice for yerba mate, but they come in glass and plastic (and bamboo,
and etc), too.

http://www.ecoteas.com/tek9.asp?pg=3...nppnqd8&cid=3D

Eric Jorgensen

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:42:51 -0500
"Bluesea" > wrote:

>=20
> "Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:48:40 -0500
> "Bluesea" > wrote:
> >
> > Last night, instead of using my bone china mug for my white tea, I
> > tossed the leaves into my glass mug, filled with 140=B0F water, stuffed
> > filter paper up a straw, and enjoyed the visual all night along with
> > the taste, refilling the water as needed.

>=20
>=20
> Yerba Mate drinkers solved that problem years ago:
>=20
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...-8360005-7390=

212
>=20
>=20
> How do they clean the inside of the straw?

You know, I don't think they do. It's got a lot more kick than tea, and
is probably more habit forming.=20

Maybe I'm just more obsessive than my mate-drinking coworker, I wipe
down and air dry my glassware after every cup of tea, and give it all a
full wash once a week. But I've never seen him do more than scrape the old
leaves out of his gourd.=20

http://store.amigofoods.com/yemabo2.html

Most of the bombillas at that site unscrew for cleaning. My guess is
they just get flushed with water.=20

> I used a disposable straw and was thinking of looking for a glass one (I
> don't like the metallic taste that the S/S lip of a traveler's mug gives
> me), but I don't know how to clean the build-ups from the inside of a
> straw and want to avoid crossing flavors.

Yeah, there's really only one flavor of yerba mate.=20

As for stainless steel having a flavor, I find that a slightly odd
concept - but there are varying grades of stainless steel. There might be
some electrolysis or something going on. *shrug*.=20

Stainless steel - or silver if you're wealthy - seem to be the materials
of choice for yerba mate, but they come in glass and plastic (and bamboo,
and etc), too.

http://www.ecoteas.com/tek9.asp?pg=3...nppnqd8&cid=3D

Joshua C Sasmor

Bluesea wrote: "How do they clean the inside of the straw?"

I have at least one answer: churchwarden length pipecleaners
In all seriousness, any chemistry lab supplier has long pipette brushes,
which would work perfectly. They shouldn't be too expensive.

Joshua Sasmor

Joshua C. Sasmor - Pipe-smoker, teacher and mathematician
Home page: http://www.math.pitt.edu/~jcsst18/
Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only truth but supreme beauty.
- BERTRAND RUSSELL

Melinda

Hey Eric, while we're on the subject...can you describe the difference in
taste between roasted yerba mate and green? I have some roasted and I can't
say I like it very well, so I thought maybe I'd have more luck with
green...but tell me if you happen to know, what the difference in taste is.

Melinda

--
"The country has entered an era in which
questions are not asked, for questions are
"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:42:51 -0500
"Bluesea" > wrote:

> "Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:48:40 -0500
> "Bluesea" > wrote:
> >
> > Last night, instead of using my bone china mug for my white tea, I
> > tossed the leaves into my glass mug, filled with 140°F water, stuffed
> > filter paper up a straw, and enjoyed the visual all night along with
> > the taste, refilling the water as needed.

> Yerba Mate drinkers solved that problem years ago:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...360005-7390212
>

> How do they clean the inside of the straw?

You know, I don't think they do. It's got a lot more kick than tea, and
is probably more habit forming.

Maybe I'm just more obsessive than my mate-drinking coworker, I wipe
down and air dry my glassware after every cup of tea, and give it all a
full wash once a week. But I've never seen him do more than scrape the old
leaves out of his gourd.

http://store.amigofoods.com/yemabo2.html

Most of the bombillas at that site unscrew for cleaning. My guess is
they just get flushed with water.

> I used a disposable straw and was thinking of looking for a glass one (I
> don't like the metallic taste that the S/S lip of a traveler's mug gives
> me), but I don't know how to clean the build-ups from the inside of a
> straw and want to avoid crossing flavors.

Yeah, there's really only one flavor of yerba mate.

As for stainless steel having a flavor, I find that a slightly odd
concept - but there are varying grades of stainless steel. There might be
some electrolysis or something going on. *shrug*.

Stainless steel - or silver if you're wealthy - seem to be the materials
of choice for yerba mate, but they come in glass and plastic (and bamboo,
and etc), too.

http://www.ecoteas.com/tek9.asp?pg=p...=jnppnqd8&cid=

Melinda

"Bluesea" > wrote:

> "Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:48:40 -0500
> "Bluesea" > wrote:
> >
> > Last night, instead of using my bone china mug for my white tea, I
> > tossed the leaves into my glass mug, filled with 140°F water, stuffed
> > filter paper up a straw, and enjoyed the visual all night along with
> > the taste, refilling the water as needed.

> Yerba Mate drinkers solved that problem years ago:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...360005-7390212
>

> How do they clean the inside of the straw?

You know, I don't think they do. It's got a lot more kick than tea, and
is probably more habit forming.

Maybe I'm just more obsessive than my mate-drinking coworker, I wipe
down and air dry my glassware after every cup of tea, and give it all a
full wash once a week. But I've never seen him do more than scrape the old
leaves out of his gourd.

http://store.amigofoods.com/yemabo2.html

Most of the bombillas at that site unscrew for cleaning. My guess is
they just get flushed with water.

> I used a disposable straw and was thinking of looking for a glass one (I
> don't like the metallic taste that the S/S lip of a traveler's mug gives
> me), but I don't know how to clean the build-ups from the inside of a
> straw and want to avoid crossing flavors.

Yeah, there's really only one flavor of yerba mate.

As for stainless steel having a flavor, I find that a slightly odd
concept - but there are varying grades of stainless steel. There might be
some electrolysis or something going on. *shrug*.

Stainless steel - or silver if you're wealthy - seem to be the materials
of choice for yerba mate, but they come in glass and plastic (and bamboo,
and etc), too.

http://www.ecoteas.com/tek9.asp?pg=p...=jnppnqd8&cid=

Melinda

"Bluesea" > wrote:

> "Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:48:40 -0500
> "Bluesea" > wrote:
> >
> > Last night, instead of using my bone china mug for my white tea, I
> > tossed the leaves into my glass mug, filled with 140°F water, stuffed
> > filter paper up a straw, and enjoyed the visual all night along with
> > the taste, refilling the water as needed.

> Yerba Mate drinkers solved that problem years ago:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...360005-7390212
>

> How do they clean the inside of the straw?

You know, I don't think they do. It's got a lot more kick than tea, and
is probably more habit forming.

Maybe I'm just more obsessive than my mate-drinking coworker, I wipe
down and air dry my glassware after every cup of tea, and give it all a
full wash once a week. But I've never seen him do more than scrape the old
leaves out of his gourd.

http://store.amigofoods.com/yemabo2.html

Most of the bombillas at that site unscrew for cleaning. My guess is
they just get flushed with water.

> I used a disposable straw and was thinking of looking for a glass one (I
> don't like the metallic taste that the S/S lip of a traveler's mug gives
> me), but I don't know how to clean the build-ups from the inside of a
> straw and want to avoid crossing flavors.

Yeah, there's really only one flavor of yerba mate.

As for stainless steel having a flavor, I find that a slightly odd
concept - but there are varying grades of stainless steel. There might be
some electrolysis or something going on. *shrug*.

Stainless steel - or silver if you're wealthy - seem to be the materials
of choice for yerba mate, but they come in glass and plastic (and bamboo,
and etc), too.

http://www.ecoteas.com/tek9.asp?pg=p...=jnppnqd8&cid=

Eric Jorgensen

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 15:11:36 -0700
"Melinda" > wrote:

> Hey Eric, while we're on the subject...can you describe the difference in
>
> taste between roasted yerba mate and green? I have some roasted and I
> can't say I like it very well, so I thought maybe I'd have more luck
> with green...but tell me if you happen to know, what the difference in
> taste is.

Oh i don't drink the stuff.

I just know people who do, and the coworker who is kinda/sorta my
supervisor (but doesn't do my performance reviews) can't stop drinking the
stuff.
Eric Jorgensen

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 15:11:36 -0700
"Melinda" > wrote:

> Hey Eric, while we're on the subject...can you describe the difference in
>
> taste between roasted yerba mate and green? I have some roasted and I
> can't say I like it very well, so I thought maybe I'd have more luck
> with green...but tell me if you happen to know, what the difference in
> taste is.

Oh i don't drink the stuff.

I just know people who do, and the coworker who is kinda/sorta my
supervisor (but doesn't do my performance reviews) can't stop drinking the
stuff.
Eric Jorgensen

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 15:11:36 -0700
"Melinda" > wrote:

> Hey Eric, while we're on the subject...can you describe the difference in
>
> taste between roasted yerba mate and green? I have some roasted and I
> can't say I like it very well, so I thought maybe I'd have more luck
> with green...but tell me if you happen to know, what the difference in
> taste is.

Oh i don't drink the stuff.

I just know people who do, and the coworker who is kinda/sorta my
supervisor (but doesn't do my performance reviews) can't stop drinking the
stuff.
Bluesea

"Bluesea" > wrote:

> "Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:48:40 -0500
> "Bluesea" > wrote:
> >
> > Last night, instead of using my bone china mug for my white tea, I
> > tossed the leaves into my glass mug, filled with 140°F water, stuffed
> > filter paper up a straw, and enjoyed the visual all night along with
> > the taste, refilling the water as needed.

> Yerba Mate drinkers solved that problem years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...360005-7390212

> How do they clean the inside of the straw?

You know, I don't think they do. It's got a lot more kick than tea, and
is probably more habit forming.

Maybe I'm just more obsessive than my mate-drinking coworker, I wipe
down and air dry my glassware after every cup of tea, and give it all a
full wash once a week. But I've never seen him do more than scrape the old
leaves out of his gourd.

http://store.amigofoods.com/yemabo2.html

Most of the bombillas at that site unscrew for cleaning. My guess is
they just get flushed with water.

> I used a disposable straw and was thinking of looking for a glass one (I
> don't like the metallic taste that the S/S lip of a traveler's mug gives
> me), but I don't know how to clean the build-ups from the inside of a
> straw and want to avoid crossing flavors.

Yeah, there's really only one flavor of yerba mate.

As for stainless steel having a flavor, I find that a slightly odd
concept - but there are varying grades of stainless steel. There might be
some electrolysis or something going on. *shrug*.

Stainless steel - or silver if you're wealthy - seem to be the materials
of choice for yerba mate, but they come in glass and plastic (and bamboo,
and etc), too.

http://www.ecoteas.com/tek9.asp?pg=p...=jnppnqd8&cid=

Thanks for the links. You know, I could buy 2 straws, one for green teas and
one for white.

I thought for awhile that my preference for my plastic-lipped travel mug
over my S/S lipped mug was tactile, but my glass mug dispelled that thought.
There *is* something going on and it is definitely a metallic taste. I
wouldn't have believed it if I didn't experience it for myself because I eat
with S/S forks and spoons all the time.

As for cleaning my glass mug, I merely rinse with hot water and let air dry.
I wash it when I change from black tea to green or when the glass doesn't
seem as clear.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

"Bluesea" > wrote:

> "Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:48:40 -0500
> "Bluesea" > wrote:
> >
> > Last night, instead of using my bone china mug for my white tea, I
> > tossed the leaves into my glass mug, filled with 140°F water, stuffed
> > filter paper up a straw, and enjoyed the visual all night along with
> > the taste, refilling the water as needed.

> Yerba Mate drinkers solved that problem years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...360005-7390212

> How do they clean the inside of the straw?

You know, I don't think they do. It's got a lot more kick than tea, and
is probably more habit forming.

Maybe I'm just more obsessive than my mate-drinking coworker, I wipe
down and air dry my glassware after every cup of tea, and give it all a
full wash once a week. But I've never seen him do more than scrape the old
leaves out of his gourd.

http://store.amigofoods.com/yemabo2.html

Most of the bombillas at that site unscrew for cleaning. My guess is
they just get flushed with water.

> I used a disposable straw and was thinking of looking for a glass one (I
> don't like the metallic taste that the S/S lip of a traveler's mug gives
> me), but I don't know how to clean the build-ups from the inside of a
> straw and want to avoid crossing flavors.

Yeah, there's really only one flavor of yerba mate.

As for stainless steel having a flavor, I find that a slightly odd
concept - but there are varying grades of stainless steel. There might be
some electrolysis or something going on. *shrug*.

Stainless steel - or silver if you're wealthy - seem to be the materials
of choice for yerba mate, but they come in glass and plastic (and bamboo,
and etc), too.

http://www.ecoteas.com/tek9.asp?pg=p...=jnppnqd8&cid=

Thanks for the links. You know, I could buy 2 straws, one for green teas and
one for white.

I thought for awhile that my preference for my plastic-lipped travel mug
over my S/S lipped mug was tactile, but my glass mug dispelled that thought.
There *is* something going on and it is definitely a metallic taste. I
wouldn't have believed it if I didn't experience it for myself because I eat
with S/S forks and spoons all the time.

As for cleaning my glass mug, I merely rinse with hot water and let air dry.
I wash it when I change from black tea to green or when the glass doesn't
seem as clear.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

"Joshua C Sasmor" > wrote in message

> Bluesea wrote: "How do they clean the inside of the straw?"
>
> I have at least one answer: churchwarden length pipecleaners
> In all seriousness, any chemistry lab supplier has long pipette brushes,
> which would work perfectly. They shouldn't be too expensive.

Ahh, pipe cleaners, of course. Can you tell that I don't smoke?

Thanks for that and the pipette brushes. I knew there had to be something!

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

"Joshua C Sasmor" > wrote in message

> Bluesea wrote: "How do they clean the inside of the straw?"
>
> I have at least one answer: churchwarden length pipecleaners
> In all seriousness, any chemistry lab supplier has long pipette brushes,
> which would work perfectly. They shouldn't be too expensive.

Ahh, pipe cleaners, of course. Can you tell that I don't smoke?

Thanks for that and the pipette brushes. I knew there had to be something!

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:42:51 -0500

As for stainless steel having a flavor, I find that a slightly odd
concept - but there are varying grades of stainless steel. There might be
some electrolysis or something going on. *shrug*.

Um...what's going on is that it's chrome-plated, not S/S.

"Sometimes, I jest plumb fergit."

--
~~Bluesea~~

Derek

On 4 Apr 2005 07:29:34 -0700, Space Cowboy wrote:

> Which raises a question I don't think discussed before. Does your
> spouse/so also drink tea?

Yes. She wasn't much of a tea drinker before we were married. I pretty much
introduced her to loose leaf teas rather than bags. She's pretty happy with
whatever I bring in.

Neither of us drinks coffee. Both of us drink lots of iced tea - it's a
southern thing. And every morning, I'd make her a fresh cup of hot tea and
take it to her in bed.

--
Derek

Not all pain is gain.
teadrinker

It's funny, when I read that, I grimaced too.

I had a nice loose leaf strawberry black tea that I would drink in the
evenings,

when I get a craving for it.

But in the morning, I go for the good quality Ceylon.

I don't think I ever drank that tea first thing in the morning.