Bluesea

Default Stoves and coffee-makers as warmers

Has anyone ever used a stove or coffee-maker to keep tea warm instead of a
cozy or candle warmer? I'm thinking that while teapots are not made for
stove-top use, tea in a kettle or other pot with an opening on top might be
kept warm on the stove's lowest heat setting.

For teapots, are the warmers on coffee-makers too hot for glazed ceramic or
glass teapots? I'd think that handles on metal teapots would get too warm
for comfort w/o a pot holder.

--
~~Bluesea~~

kuri

"Bluesea" > wrote in message

> Has anyone ever used a stove or coffee-maker to keep tea warm instead of a
> cozy or candle warmer?

I do it all the time.

>'m thinking that while teapots are not made for
> stove-top use, tea in a kettle or other pot with an opening on top might

be
> kept warm on the stove's lowest heat setting.
>
> For teapots, are the warmers on coffee-makers too hot for glazed ceramic

or
> glass teapots?

No problem. They are perfectly adapted. They heat very progressively and
never above a certain temp. In my experience, you have more risk to break a
fragile pot by suddenly pouring hot water in it than by putting it on such
warmers.

But, you cannot let a pot of tea (or coffee) sit on a warmer more than maybe
20 minutes. If you wait too long, the tea *cooks* and evaporates.
Usually, I prepare the tea in a pot warmed on the coffee maker's hotplate,
serve some, stop the warmer (and place the pot on the warmer that is hot but
off). I serve the 2nd cup in the next 15 minutes. If the conversation makes
we wait longer, I restart the warmer, and pour the second cup of tea about
10 minutes later.

Kuri

Rick Chappell

Bluesea > wrote:
> Has anyone ever used a stove or coffee-maker to keep tea warm instead of a
> cozy or candle warmer? I'm thinking that while teapots are not made for
> stove-top use, tea in a kettle or other pot with an opening on top might be
> kept warm on the stove's lowest heat setting.
> For teapots, are the warmers on coffee-makers too hot for glazed ceramic or
> glass teapots? I'd think that handles on metal teapots would get too warm
> for comfort w/o a pot holder.

An old fashioned samovar has an urn with a hole through the middle. The pot,
containing tea concentrate (zavarka) sits on top. My new electric samovar
boils water in the urn and vents the steam to keep the pot warm.

Since water needs to be boiled anyway, it makes sense to use the steam to
keep the pot warm. You just have to find an arrangement which fits. I would
hope that stove-top samovars are still sold, perhaps in Russian or other East
European shops (apologies to trans-Caucasians for the implication).

Rick.

Bluesea

"kuri" > wrote in message

> "Bluesea" > wrote in message
>
> > Has anyone ever used a stove or coffee-maker to keep tea warm instead of

> > cozy or candle warmer?

> I do it all the time.
>
> >'m thinking that while teapots are not made for
> > stove-top use, tea in a kettle or other pot with an opening on top might

> be
> > kept warm on the stove's lowest heat setting.
> >
> > For teapots, are the warmers on coffee-makers too hot for glazed ceramic

> or
> > glass teapots?

> No problem. They are perfectly adapted. They heat very progressively and
> never above a certain temp. In my experience, you have more risk to break

> fragile pot by suddenly pouring hot water in it than by putting it on such
> warmers.
>
> But, you cannot let a pot of tea (or coffee) sit on a warmer more than

maybe
> 20 minutes. If you wait too long, the tea *cooks* and evaporates.
> Usually, I prepare the tea in a pot warmed on the coffee maker's hotplate,
> serve some, stop the warmer (and place the pot on the warmer that is hot

but
> off). I serve the 2nd cup in the next 15 minutes. If the conversation

makes
> we wait longer, I restart the warmer, and pour the second cup of tea about
> 10 minutes later.

Thanks for the guidance.

--
~~Bluesea~~

RSS Coffee Feed - Coffee Tasting Terms For Espresso Coffee Makers - One of the aspects of becoming a true coffee aficionado or espresso coffee maker is to develop an ability to taste and evaluate the coffee after the roasting and grinding has been do `RSS,,,@...' Coffee 0 05-02-2012 01:04 AM
RSS Coffee Feed - Coffee Tasting Terms For Espresso Coffee Makers - One of the aspects of becoming a true coffee aficionado or espresso coffee maker is to develop an ability to taste and evaluate the coffee after the roasting and grinding has been do `RSS,,,@...' Coffee 0 28-01-2012 02:17 AM
Coffee grinders and voice-activated coffee makers! Arri London General Cooking 46 30-12-2009 11:59 PM
coffee makers david downing Coffee 1 28-01-2005 03:39 PM
Coffee Makers? Jessica Vincent General Cooking 26 11-04-2004 05:42 AM