Marlene

Default Pu Erh advice?

Well, like I've said before, I'm new to tea, so I've got lots and lots of
questions.
I want to try some good pu erh. I've had some twice before, with different
results. The first time, it smelled of fish. Very strongly of long dead
fish. I couldn't get past that. I didn't even drink the stuff. The second
time it smelled of forest loam. Tasted like it too. I'm not to fond of dirt,
so here I am.
I've heard so many good things about pu erh, (thanks to mike's site)and I'd
like to like it. So, what are your suggestions? I'm not wealthy (not by a
long shot) but I do have some fun money. I don't want to spend all of it in
one shot though, cuz what if it turns out I just hate pu erh? I've blown my
tea money for the next two weeks.
Thanks in advance!

--
..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Josh

Marlene wrote:
> Well, like I've said before, I'm new to tea, so I've got lots and

lots of
> questions.
> I want to try some good pu erh. I've had some twice before, with

different
> results. The first time, it smelled of fish. Very strongly of long

dead
> fish. I couldn't get past that. I didn't even drink the stuff. The

second
> time it smelled of forest loam. Tasted like it too. I'm not to fond

of dirt,
> so here I am.
> I've heard so many good things about pu erh, (thanks to mike's

site)and I'd
> like to like it. So, what are your suggestions? I'm not wealthy (not

by a
> long shot) but I do have some fun money. I don't want to spend all of

it in
> one shot though, cuz what if it turns out I just hate pu erh? I've

blown my
> tea money for the next two weeks.
> Thanks in advance!

Well, I'm no pu erh expert but it sounds to me like you had black pu
erh. I've noticed a little bit of this fish smell in a black pu erh I
had once, and the loam description reminds me very much of black pu
erh. If you haven't already, I would recommend trying a green pu erh
cake. I drink black pu erh occasionally but to me, nothing can match
the unique and incredible taste of green pu erh. If you're looking for
specific recommendations, I'd have to recommend the green pu erh
beencha from www.inpursuitoftea.com. I think it's something like $25
for a 350 gram cake, cheaper and tastes better than ones I've had from
other places.

Mike Petro

Indeed as Josh mentioned it sounds like you tried Black aka Cooked
pu'er. This doesn't sound like your cup of tea. Try a "young" green
puer next. The older ones, aside from being very expensive, also have
earthy characters. If you have access to a brick and mortar tea shop
that knows anything about puer I would start there and let them guide
you. If you don't then pick an on-line vendor that stocks at least 12
or more "Green" aka "Raw" pu'ers. Ask the vendor if they would be
willing to put you a sampler assortment together, many vendors will
frown upon this but the ones who WILL do it are the ones to build a
relationship with.

Be careful as green pu'er is easily oversteeped and can result in
putrid nasty brew. Until you acquire a taste for it I would start with
lower temperature water, like 160-180 range. If it is bitter shorten
your steep time. If brewed properly it wont be bitter and will exhibit
lots of flavor.

One particular green puer that many people who are new to puer often
find tasty is what is often called "Silver Needle" pu'er. These tend to
be expensive so shop around. They are sweeter and milder than other
young green pu'ers and many people who like other green teas will
immediately like these. They are not generally thought of as a puer to
age, but rather something to drink right away.

Mike
http://www.pu-erh.net

Space Cowboy

If you're new too tea puerh is a tough place to start. I'd recommend
starting with Ceylon,African,Indonesian,Indian,Japanese,Chinese teas in
that order. Also I would recommend any English commercial blend at
anytime. There is nothing wrong with what the rest of the world thinks
is a good cuppa. If you have access to a Chinatown see if you can find
100g tuochas in green or black for about a buck. You'll spend the same
price point on the $4\300g cakes. I find the black puerh is good with
any meal versus green for fish, oolong for poultry and black with
meats. You'll never appreciate a green puerh till you cut your
tastebuds on other green teas. Puerh is one of a kaliedoscope of teas
in which you can find something you like without having to like
everything. If push comes to shove you can always pretend too like
puerh.

Jim

Marlene wrote:
> Well, like I've said before, I'm new to tea, so I've got lots and

lots of
> questions.
> I want to try some good pu erh. I've had some twice before, with

different
> results. The first time, it smelled of fish. Very strongly of long

dead
> fish. I couldn't get past that. I didn't even drink the stuff. The

second
> time it smelled of forest loam. Tasted like it too. I'm not to fond

of dirt,
> so here I am.
> I've heard so many good things about pu erh, (thanks to mike's

site)and I'd
> like to like it. So, what are your suggestions? I'm not wealthy (not

by a
> long shot) but I do have some fun money. I don't want to spend all of

it in
> one shot though, cuz what if it turns out I just hate pu erh? I've

blown my
> tea money for the next two weeks.
> Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> .=B7=B4=A8=A8)) -:=A6:-
> =B8.=B7=B4 .=B7=B4=A8=A8))
> ((=B8=B8.=B7=B4 ..=B7=B4 Marlene -:=A6:-
> -:=A6:- ((=B8=B8.=B7=B4 Wood -:=A6:-

Rob

One of my favorite websites for buying tea is The British Express at:

http://www.britishtea.com

They have some pu-erh teas under Single Estate Teas. I have not tried
any of these, so I can't vouch for them. I have bought their UK and
Irish commercial blends several times. The customer service is
excellent and the prices are the best online prices I've found anywhere
to date.

Rob

The Laughing Rat

Marlene wrote:
> Well, like I've said before, I'm new to tea, so I've got lots and lots of
> questions.
> I want to try some good pu erh. I've had some twice before, with different
> results. The first time, it smelled of fish. Very strongly of long dead
> fish. I couldn't get past that. I didn't even drink the stuff. The second
> time it smelled of forest loam. Tasted like it too. I'm not to fond of dirt,
> so here I am.
> I've heard so many good things about pu erh, (thanks to mike's site)and I'd
> like to like it. So, what are your suggestions? I'm not wealthy (not by a
> long shot) but I do have some fun money. I don't want to spend all of it in
> one shot though, cuz what if it turns out I just hate pu erh? I've blown my
> tea money for the next two weeks.
> Thanks in advance!

Hi Marlene--

I feel pretty happy with the prices Teaspring.com and Jingteashop.com
sell their green tuochas at--usually $5-$10, closer to $5. It's
possible I don't know from what I'm buying, but I feel like those guys
are pretty good folks, and I like the tea.

However, the easiest-drinking green pu'erh I've had so far is the green
pu'erh from Tributetea.com. Sorry to shill for a bunch of retailers,
but I can't get pu'erh locally myself, so mail order is the way I have
to go as well. The beengcha is something like $38--maybe a little
steep? I dunno--but they sell a nice-sized sample. I brew mine in a
very small Yixing pot, so I was able to get many "sessions" out of one
sample. If you check out the site, this is not the same as the cake
with the flower pressed into it--I got one like that from Holy Mountain
once and IMO it's something to pass on by.

Hope that helps--I'm far from knowledgable, but I know what I like.

Jennifer
The Laughing Rat

Marlene wrote:
> Well, like I've said before, I'm new to tea, so I've got lots and lots of
> questions.
> I want to try some good pu erh. I've had some twice before, with different
> results. The first time, it smelled of fish. Very strongly of long dead
> fish. I couldn't get past that. I didn't even drink the stuff. The second
> time it smelled of forest loam. Tasted like it too. I'm not to fond of dirt,
> so here I am.
> I've heard so many good things about pu erh, (thanks to mike's site)and I'd
> like to like it. So, what are your suggestions? I'm not wealthy (not by a
> long shot) but I do have some fun money. I don't want to spend all of it in
> one shot though, cuz what if it turns out I just hate pu erh? I've blown my
> tea money for the next two weeks.
> Thanks in advance!

Hi Marlene--

I feel pretty happy with the prices Teaspring.com and Jingteashop.com
sell their green tuochas at--usually $5-$10, closer to $5. It's
possible I don't know from what I'm buying, but I feel like those guys
are pretty good folks, and I like the tea.

However, the easiest-drinking green pu'erh I've had so far is the green
pu'erh from Tributetea.com. Sorry to shill for a bunch of retailers,
but I can't get pu'erh locally myself, so mail order is the way I have
to go as well. The beengcha is something like $38--maybe a little
steep? I dunno--but they sell a nice-sized sample. I brew mine in a
very small Yixing pot, so I was able to get many "sessions" out of one
sample. If you check out the site, this is not the same as the cake
with the flower pressed into it--I got one like that from Holy Mountain
once and IMO it's something to pass on by.

Hope that helps--I'm far from knowledgable, but I know what I like.

Jennifer
Falky foo

in your case I'd say screw the pu.

I like it, but I liked it from the get-go. If you haven't liked it by now,
then why waste your money and your time?

"Marlene" > wrote in message
> Well, like I've said before, I'm new to tea, so I've got lots and lots of
> questions.
> I want to try some good pu erh. I've had some twice before, with different
> results. The first time, it smelled of fish. Very strongly of long dead
> fish. I couldn't get past that. I didn't even drink the stuff. The second
> time it smelled of forest loam. Tasted like it too. I'm not to fond of

dirt,
> so here I am.
> I've heard so many good things about pu erh, (thanks to mike's site)and

I'd
> like to like it. So, what are your suggestions? I'm not wealthy (not by a
> long shot) but I do have some fun money. I don't want to spend all of it

in
> one shot though, cuz what if it turns out I just hate pu erh? I've blown

my
> tea money for the next two weeks.
> Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> .·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
> ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
> ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Marlene -:¦:-
> -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ Wood -:¦:-

Falky foo

"Marlene" > wrote in message
> Well, like I've said before, I'm new to tea, so I've got lots and lots of
> questions.
> I want to try some good pu erh. I've had some twice before, with different
> results. The first time, it smelled of fish. Very strongly of long dead
> fish. I couldn't get past that. I didn't even drink the stuff. The second
> time it smelled of forest loam. Tasted like it too. I'm not to fond of

dirt,
> so here I am.
> I've heard so many good things about pu erh, (thanks to mike's site)and

I'd
> like to like it. So, what are your suggestions? I'm not wealthy (not by a
> long shot) but I do have some fun money. I don't want to spend all of it

in
> one shot though, cuz what if it turns out I just hate pu erh? I've blown

my
> tea money for the next two weeks.
> Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> .·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
> ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
> ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Marlene -:¦:-
> -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ Wood -:¦:-

Derek

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 03:57:59 -0700, Marlene wrote:

> I want to try some good pu erh. I've had some twice before, with different
> results. The first time, it smelled of fish. Very strongly of long dead
> fish. I couldn't get past that. I didn't even drink the stuff. The second
> time it smelled of forest loam. Tasted like it too. I'm not to fond of dirt,
> so here I am.

You're not alone. I don't like it either. So heed Falky's advice.

My suggestion would be *not* to buy any yourself. If you've got places
that can prepare it and let you sample it, keep going for samples. If
you never find a sample you like, then you've never wasted your money
on a stash of tea that goes wasted.

Think of the poor tea-starved children in the world who would love to
have that pu erh. Won't you feel guilty depriving them of it and not
using it?

--
Derek

At the funeral of President Reagan, Christians, Jews, Muslims and
Athiests were in attendance. Surprisingly, the roof of the National
Cathedral didn't collapse.

Derek

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 03:57:59 -0700, Marlene wrote:

> I want to try some good pu erh. I've had some twice before, with different
> results. The first time, it smelled of fish. Very strongly of long dead
> fish. I couldn't get past that. I didn't even drink the stuff. The second
> time it smelled of forest loam. Tasted like it too. I'm not to fond of dirt,
> so here I am.

You're not alone. I don't like it either. So heed Falky's advice.

My suggestion would be *not* to buy any yourself. If you've got places
that can prepare it and let you sample it, keep going for samples. If
you never find a sample you like, then you've never wasted your money
on a stash of tea that goes wasted.

Think of the poor tea-starved children in the world who would love to
have that pu erh. Won't you feel guilty depriving them of it and not
using it?

--
Derek

At the funeral of President Reagan, Christians, Jews, Muslims and
Athiests were in attendance. Surprisingly, the roof of the National
Cathedral didn't collapse.
Bluesea

"Marlene" > wrote in message
> Well, like I've said before, I'm new to tea, so I've got lots and lots of
> questions.
> I want to try some good pu erh. I've had some twice before, with different
> results. The first time, it smelled of fish. Very strongly of long dead
> fish. I couldn't get past that. I didn't even drink the stuff. The second
> time it smelled of forest loam. Tasted like it too. I'm not to fond of

dirt,
> so here I am.
> I've heard so many good things about pu erh, (thanks to mike's site)and

I'd
> like to like it. So, what are your suggestions? I'm not wealthy (not by a
> long shot) but I do have some fun money. I don't want to spend all of it

in
> one shot though, cuz what if it turns out I just hate pu erh? I've blown

my
> tea money for the next two weeks.
> Thanks in advance!

Last Dec. 9, I posted about my first experience with pu-erh. It was a sample
pouch of ZH25 Organic China Leaf from Upton. In part, I wrote:

"There was an extremely fine dusty feeling that made me understand why some
say that it's like drinking dirt. It didn't have a bad flavor, just
different. In fact, I enjoyed it. It was more robust than delicate,
reminding me of Irish Breakfast in some respects, but with better flavor and
surprisingly sweet."

If you want, you can google to read the rest, subject: "My First Pu-Erh."
But, if you don't think you can get used to "drinking dirt," you may want to
pass on pu-erh. At the very least, I strongly recommend that you buy only
sample sizes until you find one you like so that you don't blow your tea
money on something you don't.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Steve Hay

I'd try the calling In Pursuit of Tea and telling him your dillemma.
Order some stuff you will like, and ask for some samples.. He was very
accomodating to me when I did this. Granted, I ordered alot of tea from
him at one time...

Marlene wrote:
> Well, like I've said before, I'm new to tea, so I've got lots and lots of
> questions.
> I want to try some good pu erh. I've had some twice before, with different
> results. The first time, it smelled of fish. Very strongly of long dead
> fish. I couldn't get past that. I didn't even drink the stuff. The second
> time it smelled of forest loam. Tasted like it too. I'm not to fond of dirt,
> so here I am.
> I've heard so many good things about pu erh, (thanks to mike's site)and I'd
> like to like it. So, what are your suggestions? I'm not wealthy (not by a
> long shot) but I do have some fun money. I don't want to spend all of it in
> one shot though, cuz what if it turns out I just hate pu erh? I've blown my
> tea money for the next two weeks.
> Thanks in advance!

Steve Hay

Marlene wrote:
> Well, like I've said before, I'm new to tea, so I've got lots and lots of
> questions.
> I want to try some good pu erh. I've had some twice before, with different
> results. The first time, it smelled of fish. Very strongly of long dead
> fish. I couldn't get past that. I didn't even drink the stuff. The second
> time it smelled of forest loam. Tasted like it too. I'm not to fond of dirt,
> so here I am.
> I've heard so many good things about pu erh, (thanks to mike's site)and I'd
> like to like it. So, what are your suggestions? I'm not wealthy (not by a
> long shot) but I do have some fun money. I don't want to spend all of it in
> one shot though, cuz what if it turns out I just hate pu erh? I've blown my
> tea money for the next two weeks.
> Thanks in advance!

Steve Hay

> Marlene wrote:
>> Well, like I've said before, I'm new to tea, so I've got lots and lots
>> of questions.

Also, I am surprised no one has mentioned that sometimes black pu-erhs
deserve a rinsing.

All of this talk of Pu-erh tasting of dirt is similar to my first
experience with the stuff (Specialteas' Tuo Cha) but what I found is
there is also an aquiring of the taste that can happen. There's dirt
and there's dirt, and surprisingly to me, dirt can taste good if it has
complexity and interesting flavors. Unfortunately, dirt that smells and
tastes like it came from a tire factory in New Jersey isn't very
interesting, and neither, I suppose, would be dirt from the floor of a
tuna processing plant. The Green Pu-erh from IPOT I found to be very
good, as well as their Silver Needle.. There was a certain amount of
earthy spicyness to the tea, which made it interesting and enjoyable,
and made it possible for me to actually go back to the Specialteas Tuo
Cha and get some enjoyment out of it.

Steve

Steve

Steve Hay

> Marlene wrote:
>> Well, like I've said before, I'm new to tea, so I've got lots and lots
>> of questions.

Also, I am surprised no one has mentioned that sometimes black pu-erhs
deserve a rinsing.

All of this talk of Pu-erh tasting of dirt is similar to my first
experience with the stuff (Specialteas' Tuo Cha) but what I found is
there is also an aquiring of the taste that can happen. There's dirt
and there's dirt, and surprisingly to me, dirt can taste good if it has
complexity and interesting flavors. Unfortunately, dirt that smells and
tastes like it came from a tire factory in New Jersey isn't very
interesting, and neither, I suppose, would be dirt from the floor of a
tuna processing plant. The Green Pu-erh from IPOT I found to be very
good, as well as their Silver Needle.. There was a certain amount of
earthy spicyness to the tea, which made it interesting and enjoyable,
and made it possible for me to actually go back to the Specialteas Tuo
Cha and get some enjoyment out of it.

Steve

Steve
Michael Plant

Falky /16/05

> in your case I'd say screw the pu.
>
> I like it, but I liked it from the get-go. If you haven't liked it by now,
> then why waste your money and your time?

Screw the pu, eh? Good one. Now, I beg to differ. After all, we've pretty
much established that Marlene drank some dank dark pu, and that leaves the
entire universe of green pu unexplored. Mike suggested a Silver Needles
Pu'erh with which I whole heartedly agree because they are so friendly and
so easy to enjoy, not to mention beautiful in their whole dry cake
incarnations.

Could somebody here come up with a couple web sites? My major source is from
a vendor without a web site. I would suggest IPOT, but theirs is $80., a bit
steep for getting your feet wet.

Michael

Michael Plant

Falky /16/05

> in your case I'd say screw the pu.
>
> I like it, but I liked it from the get-go. If you haven't liked it by now,
> then why waste your money and your time?

Screw the pu, eh? Good one. Now, I beg to differ. After all, we've pretty
much established that Marlene drank some dank dark pu, and that leaves the
entire universe of green pu unexplored. Mike suggested a Silver Needles
Pu'erh with which I whole heartedly agree because they are so friendly and
so easy to enjoy, not to mention beautiful in their whole dry cake
incarnations.

Could somebody here come up with a couple web sites? My major source is from
a vendor without a web site. I would suggest IPOT, but theirs is $80., a bit
steep for getting your feet wet.

Michael

The Laughing Rat

Michael Plant wrote:
> Screw the pu, eh? Good one. Now, I beg to differ. After all, we've pretty
> much established that Marlene drank some dank dark pu, and that leaves the
> entire universe of green pu unexplored. Mike suggested a Silver Needles
> Pu'erh with which I whole heartedly agree because they are so friendly and
> so easy to enjoy, not to mention beautiful in their whole dry cake
> incarnations.
>
> Could somebody here come up with a couple web sites? My major source is from
> a vendor without a web site. I would suggest IPOT, but theirs is $80., a bit
> steep for getting your feet wet.
>
> Michael

I think Teaspring's is now in the $40-50 range. Used to be $29 but they
changed manufacturers, apprently. That's about the cheapest I've seen
it for mail-order.

Jennifer
The Laughing Rat

Michael Plant wrote:
> Screw the pu, eh? Good one. Now, I beg to differ. After all, we've pretty
> much established that Marlene drank some dank dark pu, and that leaves the
> entire universe of green pu unexplored. Mike suggested a Silver Needles
> Pu'erh with which I whole heartedly agree because they are so friendly and
> so easy to enjoy, not to mention beautiful in their whole dry cake
> incarnations.
>
> Could somebody here come up with a couple web sites? My major source is from
> a vendor without a web site. I would suggest IPOT, but theirs is $80., a bit
> steep for getting your feet wet.
>
> Michael

I think Teaspring's is now in the $40-50 range. Used to be $29 but they
changed manufacturers, apprently. That's about the cheapest I've seen
it for mail-order.

Jennifer

Space Cowboy

My local tea shoppe owner decided he isn't going the carry the 10g mini
silver bud tuochas which I was lucky to get a couple of samples awhile
back. He thought they would be too expensive at $5. I thought it
reasonable because you don't have to invest a check to buy one. I can
peel the individual bud off one at a time and looking at what I saw in
the pot and taste I can stick with silver needles and feel I'm not
missing out.

Jim

Michael Plant wrote:
> Mike suggested a Silver Needles
> Pu'erh with which I whole heartedly agree because they are so

friendly and
> so easy to enjoy, not to mention beautiful in their whole dry cake
> incarnations.

Space Cowboy

Michael Plant wrote:
> Mike suggested a Silver Needles
> Pu'erh with which I whole heartedly agree because they are so

friendly and
> so easy to enjoy, not to mention beautiful in their whole dry cake
> incarnations.

Space Cowboy

I think it is sold too Occidentals with the name of Chester.

Jim

Derek wrote:
> My suggestion would be *not* to buy any yourself. If you've got

places
> that can prepare it and let you sample it, keep going for samples. If
> you never find a sample you like, then you've never wasted your money
> on a stash of tea that goes wasted.
>
> Think of the poor tea-starved children in the world who would love to
> have that pu erh. Won't you feel guilty depriving them of it and not
> using it?
>

> --
> Derek

Space Cowboy

Derek wrote:
> My suggestion would be *not* to buy any yourself. If you've got

places
> that can prepare it and let you sample it, keep going for samples. If
> you never find a sample you like, then you've never wasted your money
> on a stash of tea that goes wasted.
>
> Think of the poor tea-starved children in the world who would love to
> have that pu erh. Won't you feel guilty depriving them of it and not
> using it?
>

> --
> Derek

Derek

On 17 Feb 2005 07:26:34 -0800, Space Cowboy wrote:

> I think it is sold too Occidentals with the name of Chester.

Hey! Just because I keep knocking things over is no reason to call me
"Occidental."

--
Derek

None of us is as dumb as all of us.

Derek

On 17 Feb 2005 07:26:34 -0800, Space Cowboy wrote:

> I think it is sold too Occidentals with the name of Chester.

Hey! Just because I keep knocking things over is no reason to call me
"Occidental."

--
Derek

None of us is as dumb as all of us.
Derek

On 17 Feb 2005 07:26:34 -0800, Space Cowboy wrote:

> I think it is sold too Occidentals with the name of Chester.

Hey! Just because I keep knocking things over is no reason to call me
"Occidental."

--
Derek

None of us is as dumb as all of us.

need some advice sf[_9_] General Cooking 2 23-08-2012 01:20 AM
Need advice Pits09 General Cooking 6 16-11-2009 04:01 PM
SOS , Need Advice Dana L General 1 22-12-2008 10:00 PM
Advice Brian Mailman Preserving 3 02-04-2005 12:00 AM
Superauto advice (UK based but any advice on machines appreciated) Copterman Coffee 5 24-12-2004 07:47 PM