DPM

Default Fluoride in Tea

Interesting article on fluoride in instant tea:

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/liv...n/10737811.htm

Now I know drinking an excess of instant tea is not a problem for most
rfdters, but I found this observation interesting:

"Swallowing high levels of fluoride boosts bone density, but also makes
bones more brittle. It can lead to skeletal fluorosis, which causes bone
pain, calcified ligaments, bone spurs, fused vertebrae and difficulty in
moving joints. It's a rare condition in the United States, Whyte said, but
in some countries is more common than osteoporosis.
He said regular consumers of high-fluoride brick tea made from old leaves,
berries and plant twigs in parts of China and Tibet suffer aching, dense,
poor-quality bones."

Could "brick tea made from old leaves, berries and plant twigs" be equated
with puerh?

--

Regards,
Dean

Mydnight

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:53:30 GMT, "DPM" > wrote:

>Interesting article on fluoride in instant tea:
>
>http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/liv...n/10737811.htm
>
>Now I know drinking an excess of instant tea is not a problem for most
>rfdters, but I found this observation interesting:
>
>"Swallowing high levels of fluoride boosts bone density, but also makes
>bones more brittle. It can lead to skeletal fluorosis, which causes bone
>pain, calcified ligaments, bone spurs, fused vertebrae and difficulty in
>moving joints. It's a rare condition in the United States, Whyte said, but
>in some countries is more common than osteoporosis.
>He said regular consumers of high-fluoride brick tea made from old leaves,
>berries and plant twigs in parts of China and Tibet suffer aching, dense,
>poor-quality bones."
>
>Could "brick tea made from old leaves, berries and plant twigs" be equated
>with puerh?

Ya, pu'er probably...but i'm sure you would have to drink a huuuuugeee
amount of it before you started to suffer from any negative side
effects of the tea.

I don't know about the berries, though.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Josh

I wonder how much pu erh one would have to drink for it to be
considered "regular consumption".

Lewis Perin

"DPM" > writes:

> Interesting article on fluoride in instant tea:
>
> http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/liv...n/10737811.htm
> [...quotation: Puerh's gonna kill you...]

My brittle bones won't support the Philly _Daily News_'s
registration. Does that article supply any references?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Mydnight

On 26 Jan 2005 09:58:35 -0800, "Josh" > wrote:

>I wonder how much pu erh one would have to drink for it to be
>considered "regular consumption".

I don't really know. I take most of my gongfu style, so even if I
drank it all day long, it wouldn't equate to too many mugs; I guess.

Good question....I really have no idea; different for each person, I
suppose.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

Josh

Mydnight wrote:
> On 26 Jan 2005 09:58:35 -0800, "Josh" > wrote:
>
> >I wonder how much pu erh one would have to drink for it to be
> >considered "regular consumption".

> I don't really know. I take most of my gongfu style, so even if I
> drank it all day long, it wouldn't equate to too many mugs; I guess.
>
> Good question....I really have no idea; different for each person, I
> suppose.
>

> Mydnight
>
> --------------------
> thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn

shades of an endless night.

That could be another interesting study - fluoride consumption in
gongfu vs. regular steeping

DPM

"Lewis Perin" > wrote in message
news
> "DPM" > writes:
>
> > Interesting article on fluoride in instant tea:
> >
> > http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/liv...n/10737811.htm
> > [...quotation: Puerh's gonna kill you...]

> My brittle bones won't support the Philly _Daily News_'s
> registration. Does that article supply any references?

Lew,

Sorry - I forgot about the registration stuff.

No links, but the article info is from: "lead researcher Dr. Michael Whyte
of the Washington University School of Medicine". You may be able to Google
this to find the original research.

Dean

Fluoride in Tea nyscof Tea 0 24-09-2007 02:44 PM
anyone know sources for low fluoride tea? Tom in Joisey Tea 2 27-11-2003 06:26 PM