FoodBanter.com

-   Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/)
-   -   A bush in my pot (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/52429-bush-my-pot.html)

Space Cowboy 24-01-2005 02:28 PM

A bush in my pot

I just got around to trying a commercial brand of Green Jade Oolong
from Good Young Co located in Taiwan available in various local Asian
markets. I also have in their Traditional Taiwan Premium Tea series
A-Li-Shan and Dong Ding which I haven't tried. This came in a nice big
box with cord handle. Inside was a tea tin with a seal and inside that
a gold color vacuum sealed foil sealed bag. The price $15/250g/8oz
while my local tea shoppe sells a Pouchong version $10/60g/2oz. The
infusion color of both is a noticeable yellow. The shoppe version has
a better taste. The shelf version has a better aroma. The first thing
you notice about this tea is the clunking sound the big knots from
traditional hand rolling make hitting the bottom of the glass pot. The
biggest surprise of all the infusion reveals consistent stems of tea
with large whole leaves of two and three each. It was enough for a
botany lecture. I remember one other post with leaves on stems. My
biggest surprise of the year so far and certainly in a long time. I
can't imagine a bush lasting very long harvested like this.

Jim

PS: Their A-Li-Shan also has leaves on stems. I haven't opened their
Dong Ding. My first impression of A-Li-Shan. One of the few teas
where strong taste matches strong aroma. You know you have taste buds
when you drink this tea.

Josh 24-01-2005 03:10 PM

Sounds like a tasty tea at a reasonable price, I'll have to keep an eye
out for that. I've had jade oolongs that looked like that, some bigger
leaves than others. It's quite interesting to pull out half a shrub
from your teapot! Another great thing about those very tightly rolled
big leaves is that you can get lots of infusions out of them, greatly
reducing the price per FLAVORFUL cup. I love seeing 3/4 of the leaf
still tightly rolled after the first infusion, means the next cup will
have just as much flavor.

Space Cowboy 25-01-2005 03:38 PM

I infuse till the leaves look like mistletoe. The Green Jade and
A-Li-Shan suspend very nicely. I'm not a big fan of multi infusions
but the A-Li-Shan holds up better than the Green Jade. I didn't
mention the price of the Good Young Co A-Li-Shan $10/100g. Damn if I
didn't notice that my last purchase of Xue Feng TiKuanYin from
Chinatown also didn't have some leaves on stems. Not consistent and
harder to spot because the leaves infuse on the bottom and you have to
swirl the mass back up in the pot to notice.

Jim

Space Cowboy 27-01-2005 02:54 PM

Their Dong Ding also needs pruning shears. It's as good as any I've
had. All three give magnificent performances in the pot.

Jim

Space Cowboy wrote:
> I just got around to trying a commercial brand of Green Jade Oolong
> from Good Young Co located in Taiwan available in various local Asian
> markets.

....I delete me....

Michael Plant 27-01-2005 03:05 PM

Space 1/27/05

> Their Dong Ding also needs pruning shears. It's as good as any I've
> had. All three give magnificent performances in the pot.
>
> Jim

I've also had some Oolongs with an inordinate amount of stem . It's curious
that some of these stemmy Oolongs have been more delightful than those more
carefully pruned or plucked. I've been told that sometimes the stems are
left because they have a positive effect on the taste and aroma of the tea.
I believe it. I haven't bothered to do a comparison tasting yet of stemmed
and non-stemmed versions of the same tea, although it would be pretty simple
to prepare.

Michael

Natarajan Krishnaswami 28-01-2005 05:52 AM

In article >, Michael Plant wrote:
> I've also had some Oolongs with an inordinate amount of stem . It's curious
> that some of these stemmy Oolongs have been more delightful than those more
> carefully pruned or plucked. I've been told that sometimes the stems are
> left because they have a positive effect on the taste and aroma of the tea.

The iron Guan Yin KING from funalliance.com has a lot of stem. Out of
curiosity, I plucked off a couple of these stem and nibbled on them.
Yum! Who'd've thought wood could be so tasty? This was one of the
most delightful (to steal your word) TGYs I've had in a long time (on
the greener side), so at the VERY least, the presence of the stem
isn't enough to ruin it, and I'd certainly believe it improves the
taste/aroma.

N.

Mydnight 28-01-2005 07:22 AM

On 28 Jan 2005 05:52:13 GMT, Natarajan Krishnaswami >
wrote:

>In article >, Michael Plant wrote:
>> I've also had some Oolongs with an inordinate amount of stem . It's curious
>> that some of these stemmy Oolongs have been more delightful than those more
>> carefully pruned or plucked. I've been told that sometimes the stems are
>> left because they have a positive effect on the taste and aroma of the tea.

>The iron Guan Yin KING from funalliance.com has a lot of stem. Out of
>curiosity, I plucked off a couple of these stem and nibbled on them.
>Yum! Who'd've thought wood could be so tasty? This was one of the
>most delightful (to steal your word) TGYs I've had in a long time (on
>the greener side), so at the VERY least, the presence of the stem
>isn't enough to ruin it, and I'd certainly believe it improves the
>taste/aroma.

Indeed with a more flavorful tea like guan yin wang, but it was also
told to me that the more loose stems that exist in a tea, it lowers
the overall quality.

I remember helping a good friend of mine go through a batch of tie
guan yin that had just arrived from Anxi by hand. The job was to find
the deepest green pieces of tea, discard the lose stems, and pick off
a greater portion of the larger stems. A rewarding experience that
took hours. heh.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

Michael Plant 28-01-2005 12:01 PM

Natarajan 1/28/05

> In article >, Michael Plant wrote:
>> I've also had some Oolongs with an inordinate amount of stem . It's curious
>> that some of these stemmy Oolongs have been more delightful than those more
>> carefully pruned or plucked. I've been told that sometimes the stems are
>> left because they have a positive effect on the taste and aroma of the tea.

> The iron Guan Yin KING from funalliance.com has a lot of stem. Out of
> curiosity, I plucked off a couple of these stem and nibbled on them.
> Yum! Who'd've thought wood could be so tasty? This was one of the
> most delightful (to steal your word) TGYs I've had in a long time (on
> the greener side), so at the VERY least, the presence of the stem
> isn't enough to ruin it, and I'd certainly believe it improves the
> taste/aroma.
>

> N.

All well and good, N; but, as you admit, the word "delightful" in reference
to tea was first used by me. So, in the future please get my consent before
using this word. (As for the rest of you, for a small fee, you may use the
word "delightful" in casual conversation.)

Yeah, this stem thing is interesting. I still have to do a simple experiment
by comparing one of these oolongs with the stems left on and with the stems
snipped off. I'm thinking of one particular example: The best Wulong
available at our local teahouse -- the Big Apple Tea House -- in NYC is
chock-a-block with stem, and is absolutely delightful*.

Michael

*See first paragraph.

Michael Plant 28-01-2005 12:01 PM

Natarajan 1/28/05

Space Cowboy 28-01-2005 04:09 PM

Time to get out the wood chucker. The stem and leaf pattern in all
three cases is different. The A-Li-Shan looks like leaf on a grape
vine, the Green Jade has two leaves which terminate at a node on the
stem which has possibly another leaf, and Dong Ding leaf and stem on
leaf and stem. I'm wondering how they roll the stem and wither the
leaf without breaking it which is what you find in most larger grades.
I think it remarkable that there is little or no single or broken leaf.
I'm on my 5th pot of Green Jade and finally the taste comes thru to
match the aroma. I did let it brew a little longer than normal and
added more tea. That infusion is comedy in a pot. The nuggets start
on the bottom, slowly rise to the top, and some fall back to the
bottom, with all meeting in the middle in a wonderful suspended canopy
of leaves and stems.

Jim

Michael Plant wrote:
> Space

1/27/05

Student 28-01-2005 05:54 PM

"Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> All well and good, N; but, as you admit, the word "delightful" in

reference
> to tea was first used by me. So, in the future please get my consent

before
> using this word. (As for the rest of you, for a small fee, you may use the
> word "delightful" in casual conversation.)

> Michael
>
> *See first paragraph.

So, how much for using "delightful"?
And what about forms of the word, like "delight", or "delighted"?
Would I have give you credit every time I used your word?
:-)

Josh 30-01-2005 03:05 AM

I've read that the reason there is stem in these oolongs is because
they often use the entire leaf shoot. The only problem I can think of
is that the stems add to the overall weight of the tea. This has got me
wondering what 100g of stemmy oolong would weigh if all of the stems
were removed.

Michael Plant 31-01-2005 12:03 PM

StudentA%uKd.98653$Wo.16687@lakeread081/28/05

> "Michael Plant" > wrote in message
>> All well and good, N; but, as you admit, the word "delightful" in

> reference
>> to tea was first used by me. So, in the future please get my consent

> before
>> using this word. (As for the rest of you, for a small fee, you may use the
>> word "delightful" in casual conversation.)

>> Michael
>>
>> *See first paragraph.

> So, how much for using "delightful"?

If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it.

> And what about forms of the word, like "delight", or "delighted"?

We'll work something out, student.

> Would I have give you credit every time I used your word?

Of course. But, for the cost of a small planet, I could sell you the rights.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Michael Plant 31-01-2005 12:22 PM

1/29/05

> I've read that the reason there is stem in these oolongs is because
> they often use the entire leaf shoot. The only problem I can think of
> is that the stems add to the overall weight of the tea. This has got me
> wondering what 100g of stemmy oolong would weigh if all of the stems
> were removed.

Some vendors do sell the same tea stemmed and de-stemmed. The price of the
later is of course considerably more.

Michael

Space Cowboy 31-01-2005 02:00 PM

I'm going to say the stem in the three types of Taiwan Tea from Good
Young is no more than 15% by weight. Lots of leaf weight versus stem
weight. I'm wondering in this case of leaf on stem is a result of some
mechanical harvesting which AFAIK is still only produced by labor.
Even if produced by labor I'd say still cheaper than plucking each leaf
by hand. I've seen other posts in this thread mentioning stem being a
problem in oolong. I've never seen an oolong where I thought broken
loose stem was a problem perse. Traditional methods involve plucking
and not pruning. I mention these teas as a wonderful example of leaf
on stem for your viewing pleasure. I also think an excellent example
of price and taste in a commercial tin.

Jim

Michael Plant 31-01-2005 02:17 PM

Space 1/31/05

> I'm going to say the stem in the three types of Taiwan Tea from Good
> Young is no more than 15% by weight. Lots of leaf weight versus stem
> weight. I'm wondering in this case of leaf on stem is a result of some
> mechanical harvesting which AFAIK is still only produced by labor.
> Even if produced by labor I'd say still cheaper than plucking each leaf
> by hand. I've seen other posts in this thread mentioning stem being a
> problem in oolong. I've never seen an oolong where I thought broken
> loose stem was a problem perse. Traditional methods involve plucking
> and not pruning. I mention these teas as a wonderful example of leaf
> on stem for your viewing pleasure. I also think an excellent example
> of price and taste in a commercial tin.
>
> Jim

Jim,

My contention was that the stem might not be a problem at all and *might*
add something to the tea. I say this because some of the most delightful
wulongs and TGY's I've drunk had a lot of stem. But, I'm must a poor country
boy, so who knows.

Michael

kuri 31-01-2005 04:55 PM

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message

> Time to get out the wood chucker. The stem and leaf pattern in all
> three cases is different. The A-Li-Shan looks like leaf on a grape
> vine, the Green Jade has two leaves which terminate at a node on the
> stem which has possibly another leaf, and Dong Ding leaf and stem on
> leaf and stem. I'm wondering how they roll the stem and wither the
> leaf without breaking it

They break some, but they select the perfect ones for higher grades, the
rest for cheaper grades...

> which is what you find in most larger grades.
> I think it remarkable that there is little or no single or broken leaf.

These were sold to someone else.
I prefered the "broken" teas I bought from the wholesalers in Taipei to the
unbroken ones I see here. There, they were so fresh and fragrant... Had I
been rich, I'd have bought the unbroken fresh ones. And I'd be less happy
than I am now (cos' I can still the dream of getting better some day.)

Kuri

Space Cowboy 01-02-2005 02:49 PM

I want to say one more thing about the Taiwan Good Young commercial
brand. As I said the package date is 09/20/2003 so just over 4 months
on the shelves. I mentioned a gold colored foil vacuum packed. I
think it might be nitrogen pack. The foil is actually crinkled around
the tea forming a hard lump. When you open the package the tea returns
to the normal state. I've only seen one other packaging like this
recently from another Chinese commercial vendor. When I first saw it I
thought it was a chunk of brick tea. Also my local tea vendor gets his
shipments in nitrogen sealed bags quaranteed fresh for three years
which is also mentioned on the box. I think the $10/100g is expensive
even for Chinatown. So Kuri can you give us some idea in US currency
what the good stuff cost in Taiwan? If I lived next to a tea
processing plant I'd be happy with the stuff off the floor. If nothing
else it would be fresh.

Jim

kuri wrote:

....Google never forgets...

Space Cowboy 01-02-2005 02:57 PM

Does anyone know of a bushy TGY on the shelves in Chinatown?

Jim

Lewis Perin 01-02-2005 04:13 PM

"Space Cowboy" > writes:

> I want to say one more thing about the Taiwan Good Young commercial
> brand. As I said the package date is 09/20/2003 so just over 4 months
> on the shelves.

....plus one year, by my calculations.

> I mentioned a gold colored foil vacuum packed. I think it might be
> nitrogen pack. The foil is actually crinkled around the tea forming
> a hard lump.

Good for them! I don't know if this is universal among high-quality
Taiwanese tea manufacturers, but it's pretty common. I couldn't prove
this, but I've heard that some teas are packed this way right on the
farm.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Tom Koeppl 01-02-2005 10:58 PM

I was looking in ebay last night and some one was offering toasted tea
stems. I did not rember the Ebay number, as I wasn't interested. trying
toasted stem may add to our tea smarts

Lewis Perin 01-02-2005 11:48 PM

(Tom Koeppl) writes:

> I was looking in ebay last night and some one was offering toasted tea
> stems. I did not rember the Ebay number, as I wasn't interested. trying
> toasted stem may add to our tea smarts

You can also buy toasted tea stems cheaply in most grocery stores
catering to Japanese people in the USA, in my experience.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Dog Ma 1 02-02-2005 02:31 AM

[Michael Plant]
> My contention was that the stem might not be a problem at all and *might*
> add something to the tea.

Seems more than reasonable. I'm suspecting that a lot of tea taste and aroma
"strength" variations are due less to concentration than to balance. So
adding a bit of some notes might relatively suppress or enhance other, more
important ones.

And as amoebas multiply by dividing, addition can result in subtraction.
Adding stems might also result in selective removal of some components by
complexation, chemisorption or other mechanisms.

Perhaps some adventurer will segregate a twiggy lot, brew both compnents
plus the mixture, and report back to us all.

-DM

Michael Plant 02-02-2005 11:39 AM

> [Michael Plant]
>> My contention was that the stem might not be a problem at all and *might*
>> add something to the tea.

[Dog Ma]
> Seems more than reasonable. I'm suspecting that a lot of tea taste and aroma
> "strength" variations are due less to concentration than to balance. So
> adding a bit of some notes might relatively suppress or enhance other, more
> important ones.
>
> And as amoebas multiply by dividing, addition can result in subtraction.
> Adding stems might also result in selective removal of some components by
> complexation, chemisorption or other mechanisms.
>
> Perhaps some adventurer will segregate a twiggy lot, brew both compnents
> plus the mixture, and report back to us all.

[Michael again]
Lew, didn't we once drink a green and herbacious kukicha you had gotten from
Ito En or some such place? It was quite good if I recall, and worlds away
from the standard roasted stem tea commonly found in grocery stores, as you
posted elsewhere.

Michael

Space Cowboy 02-02-2005 02:35 PM

It's called Kukicha twig tea. My version you could widdle the ends and
make toothpicks. Absolutely no leaf. Stem is from fine plucking and
twig or stalk from coarse plucking.

Jim

Space Cowboy 02-02-2005 02:59 PM

At least I haven't had to correct any dates on my checks so far this
year. I think this nitrogen packed,filled,vacuum,preservation is
popular in the coffee industry. I came across an article the other day
that said the Walmart American Choice brand for teabags was from the
Charleston, SC plantation. I checked yesterday and all it said was
packed in Benton, Arkansas. You'd think it might be more fresh than
others.

Jim

Blues Lyne 02-02-2005 07:41 PM

> [Michael again]
> Lew, didn't we once drink a green and herbacious kukicha you had gotten
> from
> Ito En or some such place? It was quite good if I recall, and worlds away
> from the standard roasted stem tea commonly found in grocery stores, as
> you
> posted elsewhere.
>
> Michael

The green kukicha is one of my favorite teas. I usually get it from Den's
Teas, but have found it in Japanese grocery stores also. Den's was much
better. It's stems and some leaf. A sweet and mellow tea. I tend to lean
towards Japanese greens, though I like many Chinese.

Blues

kuri 03-02-2005 02:27 PM

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message

..>Also my local tea vendor gets his
> shipments in nitrogen sealed bags quaranteed fresh for three years

There are teas you can keep fresh for maybe one year by freezing them, but
you won't keep them 3 years in the state they were when you packed them.

> I think the $10/100g is expensive
> even for Chinatown. So Kuri can you give us some idea in US currency
> what the good stuff cost in Taiwan?

Taiwan is not a cheap place. $10/100g does not buy you their premium teas.
That's what I paid for third or fourth grades at the wholesaler (that was
great for me). They had much cheaper teas, all imported. Tea houses were
much more expensive than the wholesalers for all the teas I've compared the
prices of. I was told (but did not check myself) that the more expensive
teas in the world were in Taiwan, that had aged puers and other aged
rarities.
In supermarkets, they sold teas for $2 or $3 for 100g, many people drink
them daily, that's not bad tea. It's the equivalent of what they export
here. As I had to make a choice, I've prefered 50g packs of
*not-what-I-get-everyday* to kilos of tea I found "good nothing more".

That was what ? 3 years ago, I think. So I don't know how their currency has
evolved.

Kuri

Space Cowboy 04-02-2005 01:56 PM

Any commercially packed paper product has a minimum shelf life of 1
year with two being the typical. This is the first paper product I've
seen with a stated life of three years because of the nitrogen pack.
Tea in tins have a minimum shelf life of two years with four typical.
Paper has mostly replaced tins because of turnover expected by consumer
and cheaper cost. Once the product is opened then the dynamics change.
I've got teas easily 5+ years old that have bouquet and flavor.
You'll run out of room faster than teas going stale with proper
storage. I just got two more commercial teas from Taiwan from a
company called Grand Western which is a large food corporation. A
decent price at $8/300g for an uninspired Green and TGY. I was
intrigued by the Green because that's the first I've seen labeled as
such from Taiwan. I was hoping it was a camouflauged pouchong but
sadly not the case. The color was a nice green but taste and aroma
lackluster. When I run across teas that make me think, are consumers
this stupid, when I revisit them later and tweek and twiddle then there
might be value with a price. These two are paper products with
cellophane packaging and a stated shelf life of two years.
Unfortunately I don't know when the clock started ticking.

Jim

kuri 04-02-2005 02:43 PM

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message

> Any commercially packed paper product has a minimum shelf life of 1
> year with two being the typical.

Only very expensive or very grotty shops store products during 1 full year
before selling. Even stocking in a warehouse has a cost. Here probably only
M. Freres and the old Chinese shops keep such antiquities.
There are sweets, cookies, etc, with a "consumer life" of only a few weeks.
I don't think any law prevents the maker to shorten the delay to consume a
product. And, whatever they write on the package, I don't believe coffee is
still fresh
more than 2 weeks after being packaged and teas after 1 month to 1 year
depending on the type. I know many (most ?) people have never in their life
drunk coffee or tea that was not stale, so they like them only stale and
look at the date written on the package only because they fear being
poisoned if their lipton yellow is too old. I don't think you, or the others
posting here, are that sort of person.

> Tea in tins have a minimum shelf life of two years with four typical.

For commercial brands, it's 6 month warehouse+shelf life, and about 2 years
"consumer life". I usually don't buy if there is not 18 months left before
"consume before date".

> Paper has mostly replaced tins because of turnover expected by consumer
> and cheaper cost.

In Asia, now foil package is the most common. It protects the tea as well as
a tin, it's more flexible (as many sizes are possible) and many people have
special tins (or potteries) they refill each time. The teas in paper
packages tend to be stuff like houji-cha that you consume in the 2 weeks
after buying. Other types of packages (like transparent plastic)
unfortunately still exist.

> I've got teas easily 5+ years old that have bouquet and flavor.

Yes, but compared to the bouquet and flavor they had 5 years ago ? How much
is left ? I have kept wulongs I got very fresh during several years (by
accident because my place is so messy...) and when I prepared them, several
persons said "Oh, your tea is good." and I was angry because it used to be
excellent.

> You'll run out of room faster than teas going stale with proper
> storage. I just got two more commercial teas from Taiwan from a
> company called Grand Western which is a large food corporation. A
> decent price at $8/300g for an uninspired Green and TGY. I was
> intrigued by the Green because that's the first I've seen labeled as
> such from Taiwan.

They do good Senchas and Chinese style greens. They also produce a macha
which is : "not great, I don't use it for tea ceremony, but very good for
you if you bake cakes" (according to the lady that sold me some). But I
particularly liked 2 of their teas : their "wulong bai hao" (oriental
beauty) and their "Dong Ding" very lightly oxidated wulongs. They proposed
them to their local consumers and all grades were available. The other teas
seemed to me more for exportation, or to offer a variety in fancy stores.

Kuri

Space Cowboy 05-02-2005 03:09 PM

In our discount stores I can buy British name brands a bit past expiry
that match in quality the version on the shelves. I don't think stale
tea is a commercial problem if proper care in handling. If there is a
problem with the expiry date most commercial teas don't have one. Even
Lipton Yellow label doesn't use one. Nobody is warehousing tea unless
it is puerh in a cave. It's an agricultural commodity based on futures
speculation. Commercial companies anticipate demand. The wholesaler
pays market premium. I remember auctions in India are once a month.
My local tea shoppe turns over his stock every three months with unsold
pitched into the discounted potpourri basket. All in all I like the
taste of his teas better but freshness isn't a factor. I was at the
shoppe recently and tasted organic darjeeling,assam,nilgiri directly
from some estates which wasn't thru his wholesale sources. The tea was
less than a month old but the darjeeling wasn't any more pungent than
opening a tin of Lipton Connoisseur Green label. I don't think anyone
here in general consumes all the tea they buy immediately. I'll stack
up my unused inventory with anything exposed to the elements or sifted
thru my hand in a bazaar. There is no guarantee any local tea from any
tea producing country is fresher than what I get an ocean away. I
think I might find the Dong Ding and Bai Hao from Grand Western at
other stores. I've never seen a commercial version of Bai Hao. It's
only been the last year I've seen any commercial Taiwan teas on the
shelves.

Jim