Antoine C.

Default Pu Erh aging

Hello all!

I am new here. My name is Antoine, i am 40 and live in Paris (France). I
am a real tea addict. My preference goes to chinese teas, particularly
Pu Erh and lightly oxydized Oolong, but i am open to all and drink all
teas.

As the Pu Erh get better with time, i would like to store some cakes for
aging, but have no idea of the "technique"...

Do you have any clue on the topic? what are the perfect temperature,
moist level ... ? are there better material for the can ? All knowledge
on the subject is welcome!!

Best wishes,

Antoine
Mike Petro

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 11:05:42 GMT, Mydnight > cast
caution to the wind and posted:

http://www.pu-erh.net/

>But, I'm fairly sure it's safe to say that it should be aged in an
>open environment with adequate airflow and a minimum of moisture;
>don't worry about a can or anything. The temp should be warm.
>
>read the site. heh.
>

>Mydnight
>
>--------------------
>thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

Try this page http://www.pu-erh.net/howtoage.html and check back soon
as I will be adding some more info to it in the near future.

BTW my name is Mike not pilo_ and a Master I am not, but I have done a
lot of research on the subject.

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Mike Petro

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 11:05:42 GMT, Mydnight > cast
caution to the wind and posted:

>On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 11:24:44 +0100, (Antoine C.)
>wrote:
>

>>Hello all!
>>
>>I am new here. My name is Antoine, i am 40 and live in Paris (France). I
>>am a real tea addict. My preference goes to chinese teas, particularly
>>Pu Erh and lightly oxydized Oolong, but i am open to all and drink all
>>teas.
>>
>>As the Pu Erh get better with time, i would like to store some cakes for
>>aging, but have no idea of the "technique"...
>>
>>Do you have any clue on the topic? what are the perfect temperature,
>>moist level ... ? are there better material for the can ? All knowledge
>>on the subject is welcome!!
>>
>>Best wishes,
>>
>>Antoine

>pilo_ is the master of Pu'er. You should visit his website, I think
>there is info there about it.

http://www.pu-erh.net/

>But, I'm fairly sure it's safe to say that it should be aged in an
>open environment with adequate airflow and a minimum of moisture;
>don't worry about a can or anything. The temp should be warm.
>
>read the site. heh.
>

>Mydnight
>
>--------------------
>thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

Try this page http://www.pu-erh.net/howtoage.html and check back soon
as I will be adding some more info to it in the near future.

BTW my name is Mike not pilo_ and a Master I am not, but I have done a
lot of research on the subject.

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Antoine C.

Wow! what a site!

Thank you guys for the info, and bravo Mike for your site!!

Antoine

> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 11:05:42 GMT, Mydnight > cast caution
> to the wind and posted:
>
> >On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 11:24:44 +0100, (Antoine C.)
> >wrote:
> >

> >>Hello all!
> >>
> >>I am new here. My name is Antoine, i am 40 and live in Paris (France). I
> >>am a real tea addict. My preference goes to chinese teas, particularly
> >>Pu Erh and lightly oxydized Oolong, but i am open to all and drink all
> >>teas.
> >>
> >>As the Pu Erh get better with time, i would like to store some cakes for
> >>aging, but have no idea of the "technique"...
> >>
> >>Do you have any clue on the topic? what are the perfect temperature,
> >>moist level ... ? are there better material for the can ? All knowledge
> >>on the subject is welcome!!
> >>
> >>Best wishes,
> >>
> >>Antoine

> >pilo_ is the master of Pu'er. You should visit his website, I think
> >there is info there about it.

http://www.pu-erh.net/

> >But, I'm fairly sure it's safe to say that it should be aged in an open
> >environment with adequate airflow and a minimum of moisture; don't worry
> >about a can or anything. The temp should be warm.
> >
> >read the site. heh.
> >

> >Mydnight
> >
> >-------------------- thus then i turn me from my countries light, to
> >dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

> Try this page http://www.pu-erh.net/howtoage.html and check back soon as I
> will be adding some more info to it in the near future.
>
> BTW my name is Mike not pilo_ and a Master I am not, but I have done a lot
> of research on the subject.
>

> Mike Petro http://www.pu-erh.net remove the
> "filter" in my email address to reply

Antoine C.

Wow! what a site!

Thank you guys for the info, and bravo Mike for your site!!

Antoine

> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 11:05:42 GMT, Mydnight > cast caution
> to the wind and posted:
>
> >On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 11:24:44 +0100, (Antoine C.)
> >wrote:
> >

> >>Hello all!
> >>
> >>I am new here. My name is Antoine, i am 40 and live in Paris (France). I
> >>am a real tea addict. My preference goes to chinese teas, particularly
> >>Pu Erh and lightly oxydized Oolong, but i am open to all and drink all
> >>teas.
> >>
> >>As the Pu Erh get better with time, i would like to store some cakes for
> >>aging, but have no idea of the "technique"...
> >>
> >>Do you have any clue on the topic? what are the perfect temperature,
> >>moist level ... ? are there better material for the can ? All knowledge
> >>on the subject is welcome!!
> >>
> >>Best wishes,
> >>
> >>Antoine

> >pilo_ is the master of Pu'er. You should visit his website, I think
> >there is info there about it.

http://www.pu-erh.net/

> >But, I'm fairly sure it's safe to say that it should be aged in an open
> >environment with adequate airflow and a minimum of moisture; don't worry
> >about a can or anything. The temp should be warm.
> >
> >read the site. heh.
> >

> >Mydnight
> >
> >-------------------- thus then i turn me from my countries light, to
> >dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

> Try this page http://www.pu-erh.net/howtoage.html and check back soon as I
> will be adding some more info to it in the near future.
>
> BTW my name is Mike not pilo_ and a Master I am not, but I have done a lot
> of research on the subject.
>

> Mike Petro http://www.pu-erh.net remove the
> "filter" in my email address to reply

Space Cowboy

Got that nessage board up and running yet for your website? I didn't
think so. Here's a clue. Put up a link to a free blog website and
promote yourself over there.

Jim

Mike Petro wrote:
> BTW my name is Mike not pilo_ and a Master I am not, but I have done

> lot of research on the subject.

Space Cowboy

Mike Petro wrote:
> BTW my name is Mike not pilo_ and a Master I am not, but I have done

> lot of research on the subject.

Josh

Space Cowboy wrote:
> Got that nessage board up and running yet for your website? I didn't
> think so. Here's a clue. Put up a link to a free blog website and
> promote yourself over there.
>
> Jim

Promote himself? His site isn't a business site, it's just lots of
useful information about pu erh. Why would you have anything against
someone who is just providing information? Besides, someone linked it
first and he just replied.

Josh

Space Cowboy wrote:
> Got that nessage board up and running yet for your website? I didn't
> think so. Here's a clue. Put up a link to a free blog website and
> promote yourself over there.
>
> Jim

Promote himself? His site isn't a business site, it's just lots of
useful information about pu erh. Why would you have anything against
someone who is just providing information? Besides, someone linked it
first and he just replied.

Mydnight

i know your name. heh. i didn't know that you changed from pilo_ or
if you wanted your real name mentioned.

correction:

Mike is the master of pu'er. heh.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

Mike Petro

Hi Mydnight,

I have never used that nickname, pilo_ is someone else!

You have me and this other person confused, or at least our nicknames
confused. I have always used my real name on the Usenet, both here and
on rec.kites years ago.

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Mei

Mike,
Thank you so much for creating your wonderful Puerh website!
The Puerh factories should pay you a commission.
The Vendor List is very useful, with links to vendors like:
Silk Road Teas (David Lee Hoffman) 415-488-9017
Michael Ryan http://www.mandjs.com/ and
http://stores.ebay.com/M-and-Js_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm
Jing Tea Shop http://www.jingteashop.com/
Seven Cups Teas http://www.sevencups.com/products.php?cat=11
and many other vendors.
I enjoyed seeing your awesome 90 Puerh collection at
http://www.pu-erh.net/stash.html

"Mike Petro" > wrote in message
> Try this page http://www.pu-erh.net/howtoage.html and check back soon
> as I will be adding some more info to it in the near future.
>
> BTW my name is Mike not pilo_ and a Master I am not, but I have done a
> lot of research on the subject.
> Mike Petro
> http://www.pu-erh.net
> remove the "filter" in my email address to reply

Alex Chaihorsky

Actually if I understood my Chinese sources right, it is good to have puerhs
moved for a short time to a less dry places, so they absorb some moisture
and then back to drier (but never too dry) environment. That way it
"breathes" and the bacteria not die out from drying out.
Remember - there are very few really dry places in China. I know that the
teas that I have here in Nevada are too dry and do not age well.
It looks like the famous "caves" work real well in Chinese humid climate and
not that well in drier zones. France is not too dry, anyway, so you may be
in a good place to age puers without extra effort. But even then, moving it
from place with less humidity to drier places ripen them better. The best
way to age puers, however, is to have a really knowledgeable Chinese trader
to take a look and smell them once -twice a year and follow his
recommendations.

Sasha..

"Mydnight" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 11:24:44 +0100, (Antoine C.)
> wrote:
>

>>Hello all!
>>
>>I am new here. My name is Antoine, i am 40 and live in Paris (France). I
>>am a real tea addict. My preference goes to chinese teas, particularly
>>Pu Erh and lightly oxydized Oolong, but i am open to all and drink all
>>teas.
>>
>>As the Pu Erh get better with time, i would like to store some cakes for
>>aging, but have no idea of the "technique"...
>>
>>Do you have any clue on the topic? what are the perfect temperature,
>>moist level ... ? are there better material for the can ? All knowledge
>>on the subject is welcome!!
>>
>>Best wishes,
>>
>>Antoine

> pilo_ is the master of Pu'er. You should visit his website, I think
> there is info there about it.

http://www.pu-erh.net/

> But, I'm fairly sure it's safe to say that it should be aged in an
> open environment with adequate airflow and a minimum of moisture;
> don't worry about a can or anything. The temp should be warm.
>
> read the site. heh.
>

> Mydnight
>
> --------------------
> thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades
> of an endless night.

Antoine C.

Thanks for your advices, Sasha.

When you say that it's best to move the cakes to less dry places for
short time, what "time" do you mean? one couple of weeks every year or
something like that?

Antoine

Alex Chaihorsky > wrote:

> Actually if I understood my Chinese sources right, it is good to have puerhs
> moved for a short time to a less dry places, so they absorb some moisture
> and then back to drier (but never too dry) environment. That way it
> "breathes" and the bacteria not die out from drying out.
> Remember - there are very few really dry places in China. I know that the
> teas that I have here in Nevada are too dry and do not age well.
> It looks like the famous "caves" work real well in Chinese humid climate and
> not that well in drier zones. France is not too dry, anyway, so you may be
> in a good place to age puers without extra effort. But even then, moving it
> from place with less humidity to drier places ripen them better. The best
> way to age puers, however, is to have a really knowledgeable Chinese trader
> to take a look and smell them once -twice a year and follow his
> recommendations.
>
> Sasha..
>

> "Mydnight" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 11:24:44 +0100, (Antoine C.)
> > wrote:
> >

> >>Hello all!
> >>
> >>I am new here. My name is Antoine, i am 40 and live in Paris (France). I
> >>am a real tea addict. My preference goes to chinese teas, particularly
> >>Pu Erh and lightly oxydized Oolong, but i am open to all and drink all
> >>teas.
> >>
> >>As the Pu Erh get better with time, i would like to store some cakes for
> >>aging, but have no idea of the "technique"...
> >>
> >>Do you have any clue on the topic? what are the perfect temperature,
> >>moist level ... ? are there better material for the can ? All knowledge
> >>on the subject is welcome!!
> >>
> >>Best wishes,
> >>
> >>Antoine

> > pilo_ is the master of Pu'er. You should visit his website, I think
> > there is info there about it.

http://www.pu-erh.net/

> > But, I'm fairly sure it's safe to say that it should be aged in an
> > open environment with adequate airflow and a minimum of moisture;
> > don't worry about a can or anything. The temp should be warm.
> >
> > read the site. heh.
> >

> > Mydnight
> >
> > --------------------
> > thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades
> > of an endless night.

Mydnight

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 19:15:55 -0500, Mike Petro >
wrote:

>Hi Mydnight,
>
>I have never used that nickname, pilo_ is someone else!
>
>You have me and this other person confused, or at least our nicknames
>confused. I have always used my real name on the Usenet, both here and
>on rec.kites years ago.
>

>Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
>remove the "filter" in my email address to reply

damn.....petro.....pilo_...sorry! i have been sick with the plague
these past few days. forgive me.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Space Cowboy

The same environmental conditions for ageing puerh are the same for
ageing cheese even down to the caves in France if you want the good
stuff. I think the tobacco and dairy industry could make a gourmet
puerh if they wanted. The processes are similar except for the staple.
A leaf is a leaf and fermentation is fermentation (not oxidation). I
wrap my cakes in cheesecloth to allow them to breath and reduce direct
exposure to elements. I think the optimum condition for storing puerh
is the same as loose tea dry,dark,cool such as my basement in Western
US. I think the best environmental controll would be the use of a
humidor. Our professional baseball team started using one last year to
keep the balls from drying out so they wouldn't fly out of the park.
Statistics have shown it works. Here is a tip: If the wrapper on your
puerh cracks or breaks when removed then I'd guess the cake is at least
5 years old.

Jim

Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
> Actually if I understood my Chinese sources right, it is good to have

puerhs
> moved for a short time to a less dry places, so they absorb some

moisture
> and then back to drier (but never too dry) environment. That way it
> "breathes" and the bacteria not die out from drying out.
> Remember - there are very few really dry places in China. I know that

the
> teas that I have here in Nevada are too dry and do not age well.
> It looks like the famous "caves" work real well in Chinese humid

climate and
> not that well in drier zones. France is not too dry, anyway, so you

may be
> in a good place to age puers without extra effort. But even then,

moving it
> from place with less humidity to drier places ripen them better. The

best
> way to age puers, however, is to have a really knowledgeable Chinese

trader
> to take a look and smell them once -twice a year and follow his
> recommendations.
>
> Sasha..

Space Cowboy

Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
> Actually if I understood my Chinese sources right, it is good to have

puerhs
> moved for a short time to a less dry places, so they absorb some

moisture
> and then back to drier (but never too dry) environment. That way it
> "breathes" and the bacteria not die out from drying out.
> Remember - there are very few really dry places in China. I know that

the
> teas that I have here in Nevada are too dry and do not age well.
> It looks like the famous "caves" work real well in Chinese humid

climate and
> not that well in drier zones. France is not too dry, anyway, so you

may be
> in a good place to age puers without extra effort. But even then,

moving it
> from place with less humidity to drier places ripen them better. The

best
> way to age puers, however, is to have a really knowledgeable Chinese

trader
> to take a look and smell them once -twice a year and follow his
> recommendations.
>
> Sasha..

Mike Petro

Hi Alex,

I am curious where you got this information. You are the second tea
connoisseur in the USA that I have heard this from and I highly
respect the other gentleman as well. I suspect it came from either Roy
Fong or David Hoffman but I disagree with it nonetheless. The thing is
that I have asked this exact same question to many people in China who
are in the business. Factories, Vendors, Tea Market Owners, as well as
some very serious collectors who have collections worth thousands of
dollars and not a single one of them have corroborated this practice.

When I asked the question often what I got was more don'ts than do's.
I have documented the don'ts fairly well on my website but I have had
a difficult time nailing down specific do's. I got many different
answers but when taking the natural climate of the person answering
the question into consideration I drew some conclusions. The most
commonly used conditions were around 70% relative humidity and 75-85
degrees F. In really humid areas like Hong Kong air conditioned
warehouse are used, in Kunming unconditioned warehouses are used, and
yes in some areas of Xishuangbanna caves were used. The closest thing
to the practice you mention that I have heard was that some vendors
rotate their stock to even out the way a large stockpile ages. The
reasoning being that Qi Zis in the middle didn't have as much air flow
as bundles on the outer layers of a large stack of puer bundles.

With regards to the small amount puer that most individuals would have
in their homes I would recommend one or more of the larger zisha clay
canisters that are available. They breathe adequately and they are
attractive. For example I have one that holds 9 whole bingchas. Bamboo
wrapped Qi Zi stacks do not require such a container, in China they
simply use loosely woven baskets to hold the Qi Zis. The fact is that
conditions that are "comfortable" for most humans will suffice for
aging puer and the average climate controlled home will do just fine.
Attics and basements may or may not be suitable. The main thing is to
avoid the don'ts, suffocation, extremes of humidity and temperature,
odors, and moisture,

Mike
http://www.pu-erh.net

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 05:12:33 GMT, "Alex Chaihorsky"
> cast caution to the wind and posted:

>Actually if I understood my Chinese sources right, it is good to have puerhs
>moved for a short time to a less dry places, so they absorb some moisture
>and then back to drier (but never too dry) environment. That way it
>"breathes" and the bacteria not die out from drying out.
>Remember - there are very few really dry places in China. I know that the
>teas that I have here in Nevada are too dry and do not age well.
>It looks like the famous "caves" work real well in Chinese humid climate and
>not that well in drier zones. France is not too dry, anyway, so you may be
>in a good place to age puers without extra effort. But even then, moving it
>from place with less humidity to drier places ripen them better. The best
>way to age puers, however, is to have a really knowledgeable Chinese trader
>to take a look and smell them once -twice a year and follow his
>recommendations.
>
>Sasha..

Mike Petro

Damn Jim, you still trying to run me off? I am not going anywhere,
get over it!

No I did not put a message board on my website, nor do I ever intend
to, you may as well just get over that too.

Mike
http://www.pu-erh.net

On 7 Jan 2005 07:31:34 -0800, "Space Cowboy" >
cast caution to the wind and posted:

>Got that nessage board up and running yet for your website? I didn't
>think so. Here's a clue. Put up a link to a free blog website and
>promote yourself over there.
>
>Jim

Alex Chaihorsky

OK, Mike -
You do it your way, we do it our way and in 30 years lets get together and
see
who is right
My info coming from Roy and two different Taiwan tea traders.

When I go to SF (I live in Nevada which is very dry) I usually take my
puerhs in a large wooden box with me and have them breethe ocean air for
several hours while me and my friends cook shashlik on the beach (making
sure the crate sits upwind from the grill). It feels right and attracts
pretty women who strolls aimlessly along the beach. Many a romantic victory
was won this way
I also feel like my puerhs know that I try hard to treat them with love and
respect and share my life with them. Somehow romantic ladies find this
irresistable. So, even if I lose something in puerhs fermenting, I make up
for that and much more in other areas.
Just one of my examples of how else puerhs (and teas in general) can be used
to increase love and humanity.

Sasha.

"Mike Petro" > wrote in message
> [...]
>>moved for a short time to a less dry places, so they absorb some moisture
>>and then back to drier (but never too dry) environment. That way it
>>"breathes" and the bacteria not die out from drying out.
>>Remember - there are very few really dry places in China. I know that the
>>teas that I have here in Nevada are too dry and do not age well.
>>It looks like the famous "caves" work real well in Chinese humid climate
>>and
>>not that well in drier zones. France is not too dry, anyway, so you may be
>>in a good place to age puers without extra effort. But even then, moving
>>it
>>from place with less humidity to drier places ripen them better. The best
>>way to age puers, however, is to have a really knowledgeable Chinese
>>trader
>>to take a look and smell them once -twice a year and follow his

Alex Chaihorsky

"Mike Petro" > wrote in message
> [...]
>>moved for a short time to a less dry places, so they absorb some moisture
>>and then back to drier (but never too dry) environment. That way it
>>"breathes" and the bacteria not die out from drying out.
>>Remember - there are very few really dry places in China. I know that the
>>teas that I have here in Nevada are too dry and do not age well.
>>It looks like the famous "caves" work real well in Chinese humid climate
>>and
>>not that well in drier zones. France is not too dry, anyway, so you may be
>>in a good place to age puers without extra effort. But even then, moving
>>it
>>from place with less humidity to drier places ripen them better. The best
>>way to age puers, however, is to have a really knowledgeable Chinese
>>trader
>>to take a look and smell them once -twice a year and follow his

Derek

On 7 Jan 2005 08:05:01 -0800, Josh wrote:

> Space Cowboy wrote:
>> Got that nessage board up and running yet for your website? I didn't
>> think so. Here's a clue. Put up a link to a free blog website and
>> promote yourself over there.
>>
>> Jim
>>

> Promote himself? His site isn't a business site, it's just lots of
> useful information about pu erh. Why would you have anything against
> someone who is just providing information? Besides, someone linked it
> first and he just replied.

Don't mind Jim, Josh. He's convinced that Mike stole his copyrighted
idea and made it into a web page. And he's been bitter ever since.

Except, you can't copyright an idea. Patent, yes. Copyright, no.

--
Derek

Mediocrity takes a lot less time and most people won't notice the
difference until it's too late.
Gary

Mike, are there any differences in brewing or aging/storage
of pu-erh tea if it is loose-leaf versus in cake form?

Thanks.

-Gary

Posted through TeaTalk - http://teatalk.dragonwater.com

..

Mike Petro

He mentioned once in a post that he used a tea box as a "Rosetta
Stone". He therefore feels that he owns a copyright on the term
anytime it is associated with tea translation. My position has
always been that I did not get the idea for my "Puerh Rosetta Page"
from him, the term "Rosetta" is commonly used for projects related to
translation in all sectors.

Actually he was bitter towards me and tried to run me off long before
I added the "Rosetta Page" to my site. I firmly believe that I could
delete the page and he would still try to run me off. Life goes
on.....

Mike

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 18:58:41 -0600, Derek > cast caution
to the wind and posted:

>On 7 Jan 2005 08:05:01 -0800, Josh wrote:
>
>> Space Cowboy wrote:
>>> Got that nessage board up and running yet for your website? I didn't
>>> think so. Here's a clue. Put up a link to a free blog website and
>>> promote yourself over there.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>

>> Promote himself? His site isn't a business site, it's just lots of
>> useful information about pu erh. Why would you have anything against
>> someone who is just providing information? Besides, someone linked it
>> first and he just replied.

>Don't mind Jim, Josh. He's convinced that Mike stole his copyrighted
>idea and made it into a web page. And he's been bitter ever since.
>
>Except, you can't copyright an idea. Patent, yes. Copyright, no.

Mike Petro

Gary,

Not really any difference. I recommend a zisha clay canister for loose
leaf puer. Furthermore, most loose leaf puer is black puer and does
not benefit from oxidation nearly as much as green puer does.

Mike

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 02:53:32 GMT, Gary > cast
caution to the wind and posted:

>Mike, are there any differences in brewing or aging/storage
>of pu-erh tea if it is loose-leaf versus in cake form?
>
>Thanks.
>
>-Gary
>

>Posted through TeaTalk - http://teatalk.dragonwater.com

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Mike Petro

Hehe, if we are both still around my friend I will take you up on
that. I suspect both methods will be great. But if you really want to
do an objective test we need to start with the same cakes.

Actually I was serious when asking where you got the information from
as I would love to know if there is anything to substantiate the
concept. Send me an offline email if you can offer any specifics.

Mike

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 00:44:49 GMT, "Alex Chaihorsky"
> cast caution to the wind and posted:

>OK, Mike -
>You do it your way, we do it our way and in 30 years lets get together and
>see
>who is right

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Antoine C.

Don't you think it is

Mike Petro > wrote:

> Hehe, if we are both still around my friend I will take you up on
> that. I suspect both methods will be great. But if you really want to
> do an objective test we need to start with the same cakes.
>
> Actually I was serious when asking where you got the information from
> as I would love to know if there is anything to substantiate the
> concept. Send me an offline email if you can offer any specifics.
>
> Mike
>
> On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 00:44:49 GMT, "Alex Chaihorsky"
> > cast caution to the wind and posted:
>
> >OK, Mike -
> >You do it your way, we do it our way and in 30 years lets get together and
> >see
> >who is right

> Mike Petro
> http://www.pu-erh.net
> remove the "filter" in my email address to reply

Antoine C.

Don't you think it is

Mike Petro > wrote:

> Hehe, if we are both still around my friend I will take you up on
> that. I suspect both methods will be great. But if you really want to
> do an objective test we need to start with the same cakes.
>
> Actually I was serious when asking where you got the information from
> as I would love to know if there is anything to substantiate the
> concept. Send me an offline email if you can offer any specifics.
>
> Mike
>
> On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 00:44:49 GMT, "Alex Chaihorsky"
> > cast caution to the wind and posted:
>
> >OK, Mike -
> >You do it your way, we do it our way and in 30 years lets get together and
> >see
> >who is right

> Mike Petro
> http://www.pu-erh.net
> remove the "filter" in my email address to reply

Antoine C.

Why is there so few info on Tea ageing, regarding wine ageing, tobacco
ageing,

Mike Petro > wrote:

> Hehe, if we are both still around my friend I will take you up on
> that. I suspect both methods will be great. But if you really want to
> do an objective test we need to start with the same cakes.
>
> Actually I was serious when asking where you got the information from
> as I would love to know if there is anything to substantiate the
> concept. Send me an offline email if you can offer any specifics.
>
> Mike
>
> On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 00:44:49 GMT, "Alex Chaihorsky"
> > cast caution to the wind and posted:
>
> >OK, Mike -
> >You do it your way, we do it our way and in 30 years lets get together and
> >see
> >who is right

> Mike Petro
> http://www.pu-erh.net
> remove the "filter" in my email address to reply

Antoine C.

Mike Petro > wrote:

> Hehe, if we are both still around my friend I will take you up on
> that. I suspect both methods will be great. But if you really want to
> do an objective test we need to start with the same cakes.
>
> Actually I was serious when asking where you got the information from
> as I would love to know if there is anything to substantiate the
> concept. Send me an offline email if you can offer any specifics.
>
> Mike
>
> On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 00:44:49 GMT, "Alex Chaihorsky"
> > cast caution to the wind and posted:
>
> >OK, Mike -
> >You do it your way, we do it our way and in 30 years lets get together and
> >see
> >who is right

> Mike Petro
> http://www.pu-erh.net
> remove the "filter" in my email address to reply

Derek

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 23:12:58 -0500, Mike Petro wrote:

> He mentioned once in a post that he used a tea box as a "Rosetta
> Stone". He therefore feels that he owns a copyright on the term
> anytime it is associated with tea translation. My position has
> always been that I did not get the idea for my "Puerh Rosetta Page"
> from him, the term "Rosetta" is commonly used for projects related to
> translation in all sectors.

Very true. He has a thing against people shilling for commercial sites
in the newsgroup - which I happen to share. But, as far as I can tell,
your site is purely information - not even an advertisement.

As for his feelings on copyrights, he has a unique understanding of
what can be copyrighted. Protecting ideas for products/items requires
a patent. Protecting phrases requires a trademark.

Never mind the fact that there doesn't seem to be any record of him
actually making the post he claims to have made in 1995 where he
shared his idea. And Google's archive goes back to the April 11, 1995
start of this group.

As an academic, people who ignore copyright infuriate me. But people
who try to claim copyright where none exists irritate me to no end.

> Actually he was bitter towards me and tried to run me off long before
> I added the "Rosetta Page" to my site. I firmly believe that I could
> delete the page and he would still try to run me off. Life goes
> on.....

You're probably correct there.

--
Derek

The best leaders inspire by example. When that's not an option, brute
intimidation works pretty well, too.
Mike Petro

Alex,

I have to eat a little crow here. I checked again with some Chinese
Tea experts and you are quite correct. It took a little bit of coaxing
to get it out of them. The thing is in China they never move the puer
around like you are having to do because they have naturally wet and
dry seasons. So when I asked people about moving the tea back and
forth from wet to dry conditions they always told me that it was not
necessary, what they didn't tell me was that for "them" the reason it
is not necessary is because it occurs naturally.

After a bit of prying I was told that the wet and dry seasons did
indeed help the tea to mature faster. They also said that keeping the
tea in a very consistent environment, like a year round climate
controlled home, would slow down the maturing process. However they
also said that a simple trip to the beach for a week would probably
not be long enough to simulate the wet seasons they have there.

Over the years Humidors have been discussed many times, in this group
and others, in relation to keeping tea and have usually been found to
hold the RH too high for most teas. Puer would be the exception. The
thing is that most of them use salts that only have one specific
humidity value and cannot be adjusted so leaving the puer in them year
round would not be appropriate. However, in your case Alex it might be
the perfect solution, get one set to 75-80% RH (higher RH than the
average cigar humidor), or just get the appropriate salts, and take
the puer out of the humidor and store it in your naturally dry air
every other quarter. The downside would be that this wont do anything
for your love life at all..... ;-)

It turns out that the Chinese have a machine specially made to quickly
mature puer using similar methods, switching between humid and dry
conditions. I am attempting to find out the specific variables that
they use. I also found out the places using Air Conditioning actually
adjust the humidity up and down to simulate the wet and dry seasons.

Mike
http://www.pu-erh.net

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 00:44:49 GMT, "Alex Chaihorsky"
> cast caution to the wind and posted:

>OK, Mike -
>You do it your way, we do it our way and in 30 years lets get together and
>see
>who is right
>My info coming from Roy and two different Taiwan tea traders.
>
>When I go to SF (I live in Nevada which is very dry) I usually take my
>puerhs in a large wooden box with me and have them breethe ocean air for
>several hours while me and my friends cook shashlik on the beach (making
>sure the crate sits upwind from the grill). It feels right and attracts
>pretty women who strolls aimlessly along the beach. Many a romantic victory
>was won this way
>I also feel like my puerhs know that I try hard to treat them with love and
>respect and share my life with them. Somehow romantic ladies find this
>irresistable. So, even if I lose something in puerhs fermenting, I make up
>for that and much more in other areas.
>Just one of my examples of how else puerhs (and teas in general) can be used
>to increase love and humanity.
>
>Sasha.
>

>"Mike Petro" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]
>>>Remember - there are very few really dry places in China. I know that the
>>>teas that I have here in Nevada are too dry and do not age well.
>>>It looks like the famous "caves" work real well in Chinese humid climate
>>>and
>>>not that well in drier zones. France is not too dry, anyway, so you may be
>>>in a good place to age puers without extra effort. But even then, moving
>>>it
>>>from place with less humidity to drier places ripen them better. The best
>>>way to age puers, however, is to have a really knowledgeable Chinese
>>>trader
>>>to take a look and smell them once -twice a year and follow his
>>>recommendations.
>>>
>>>Sasha..

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Mike Petro

> [...]

>see
>who is right
>My info coming from Roy and two different Taiwan tea traders.
>
>When I go to SF (I live in Nevada which is very dry) I usually take my
>puerhs in a large wooden box with me and have them breethe ocean air for
>several hours while me and my friends cook shashlik on the beach (making
>sure the crate sits upwind from the grill). It feels right and attracts
>pretty women who strolls aimlessly along the beach. Many a romantic victory
>was won this way
>I also feel like my puerhs know that I try hard to treat them with love and
>respect and share my life with them. Somehow romantic ladies find this
>irresistable. So, even if I lose something in puerhs fermenting, I make up
>for that and much more in other areas.
>Just one of my examples of how else puerhs (and teas in general) can be used

.. .

Aging Tom Kunich Winemaking 1 07-11-2011 09:34 PM
Aging Tom Kunich Winemaking 0 09-03-2011 09:53 PM
US steak houses, wet aging v. dry aging. PeterL[_17_] General Cooking 7 13-06-2009 11:59 PM
Aging In Bulk Vs Aging In Bottle jim Winemaking 12 04-09-2007 10:42 PM
Aging Unknown Winemaking 9 29-04-2006 09:15 PM