norpinal

Default Ming dynasty author Wen Zhen Heng's book: Chang Wu Zhi (Record of Material Things)

Wen Zhen Heng(1585-1645) was a Ming dynasty author. His book Chang Wu
Zhi ( Recod of Materail Things) written from 1621-1627) is a classic
book about the life style of Ming dynasty literati. "Volume 12 On
Scent and Tea" is a chatper tea and water

The latest edition of Chang Wu Zhi was published in May, 2004, by
Shangdong Pictorial Publishing House Wen Zhen Heng's book: Chang Wu
Zhi

see

Chang Wu Zhi Tu Shuo ( Record On Material Things Pictorial Edition)

Wen Zhen Heng's great grand father was famous Ming dynasty author,
painter Wen Zhen Ming

The following are translated from articles about tea, tea utensil,
etc from
Chang Wu Zhi. ( Article On Tea Hut from Vol 1 On Housing, "On
Celestial Spring" from Vol 3 the rest from vol 12: "Fragrance and Tea"
*************************
On Tea Hut

Build a small hut near a house on a hill, furnished with tea utensils.
Hire a boy as tea servant to take care of tea errands. In order for
the guests chatting all day long or sit in solitary, this is of utmost
important for people retired from office. From Wen Zhen Heng: Chang Wu
Zhi

Translated from Wen Zhen Heng: Chang Wu Zhi, Vol 1: On Housing

On Celestial Spring

Celetial Spring ( rain from the sky) in Autumn is the best, followed
by monsoon season rain water. Autumn rain water is clear and cool,
monsson season rain water is clear and sweet. In Spring and Winter
seasons, spring time water is superior to winter water, because the
weather is mild and the rain is sweet. The water from thunderstorm
Summer is quite harmful, probably because of the thunder storm caused
by evil dragon turmoil. Snow is the essense of crops, hence harvest
snow to brew tea is great, however you must avoid new snow, as it may
have the odor of the earth; slightly aged snow is much better Collect
celetial water with cloth, however do not collect under the eaves,
rather collect in the center of courtyard
From Wen Zhen Heng: Chang Wu Zhi (On Material Things)

Translated from Wen Zhen Heng: Chang Wu Zhi Vol 3: On Water and Rock

On Quality of Tea

There were several dozens of authors wrote about tea, ( Tang dynasty)
Lu Yu's Book of Tea and (Song dynasty) Chai Rang's Tea Record are
among the best. However at that time, tea was processed by ripe
grinding and molding hence the terms "Dragon and Phenix cake"[1],
"Baby Dragon Cake", "Dense Cloud Dragon", "Flying Dragon in the
Cloud". Until the Xuen He era of Song Dynasty people began to consider
white tea[2] as superior. Zheng Ko Jian, the man in charge of marine
transportation first invented "Silver Thread Ice Sprout" tea, made by
discarding the leaves only to pick the cores, then soaked in clear
spring water,without various fragrance such as dragon brain, then
molded with pattern of curling baby dragon on it, hence the name
"Superlative Snow Dragan Cake" . At that time these methods were
deemed perenial. But in our(Ming) dynasty the tradition has changed,
our brewing method is also different from the ancient. Our method is
utmost simple, full of natural fun, truly exhaust the genuine flavour
of tea. As for washing tea, prepare water, choice of utensil, there
are various methods, not simply limited to profuse talk about "Wu Fu"
charcoal container, "Yun Tun" water container, "Ku Jie Jun" bamboo
stove or "Jian Chen" tea container.
From Wen Zhen Heng: Chang Wu Zhi

******************

Notes

[1] During Tang and Song dynasties, tea was pressed into cake or ball
form. The following is a diagram of a "Big Dragon Cake" made with
round brass mold

Big Dragon Cake in Song dynasty

[2]White tea is the rarest tea see White tea

Tiger Hill Tea and Heaven Pool Tea

"Tiger Hill" is the finest tea in the world, pity that the production
quantity is rather small, also controlled by government office. Lone
mountainer got hold of a pot of two as rare tea. However its taste is
actually second to "Heaven Pool" tea.
Those from Dragon Pool are fine, those from the South Hill are the
earliest, with a bit of grass scent

From Wen Zhen Heng: Record of Material Things

-------------------------------------
More to follow

-- martin tai

The Jie Tea[1]

Jie Tea from Chang Xing of Zhejiang is superb and highly
regarded, though rather pricy. Those from Jing Qi[2]
is slighttly inferior.
When picking tea, there is no need to pick too fine leaves, too
fine tea leaves are nascent and lack flavour.
Also void leaves which are too green, as they are too old and have
lost tenderness in flavour. It is best to pick
the leaves which are greenish roundish and thick. Do not dry them
in the sun, rather bake them with charcoal fire, cool
down with a fan then stored in container lined with ruo[3] leaves and
keep it on a high place, because tea relish warmth and dry
abhor cool and dampness.

Notes:

[1] "Jie" was the short hame for "Luo Jie"
Luo Jie was the name of a mountain bordering Zhejiang and Jing Qi
prefactures (in Ming dynasty) , "jie"-- meant boundary.
Chang Xin was south of Luo Jie mountain, Jing Qi was north of Luo
Jie.
Chang Xin retains its name till today.

Luo Jie tea from Gu Chu mountain in Chang Xing county in Zhejiang was
also known as Gu Chu Voilet Shoot. Gu Chu Voilet Shoot
had being imperial tribute tea Since Tang dynasty for nearly nine
hundred years until the middle of Qin dynasty.
Gu Chu Voilet Shoot has being revived again in the seventies as a
top grade tea in China

[2] Jin Qi is now called Yi Xin township. Jin Qi tea was also known
as Yang Xian tea

[3] Ruo leave: Leaves from <a
href="http://www.bamboo.ws/bam-boo_images/booindotess.gif">Indocalamus
tessellatus bamboo</a>. The leave is about 45 cm long. Ruo bamboo
grows in Yangtse River basin.

Translated by Martin Tai from Wen Zhen Heng: Zhang Wu Zhi (ca 1621 AD,
Ming dynasty)

> The Jie Tea[1]
>

> Jie Tea from Chang Xing of Zhejiang is superb and highly
> regarded, though rather pricy. Those from Jing Qi[2]
> is slighttly inferior.
> When picking tea, there is no need to pick too fine leaves, too
> fine tea leaves are nascent and lack flavour.
> Also void leaves which are too green, as they are too old and have
> lost tenderness in flavour. It is best to pick
> the leaves which are greenish roundish and thick. Do not dry them
> in the sun, rather bake them with charcoal fire, cool
> down with a fan then stored in container lined with ruo[3] leaves and
> keep it on a high place, because tea relish warmth and dry
> abhor cool and dampness.
>

> Notes:
>
> [1] "Jie" was the short hame for "Luo Jie"
> Luo Jie was the name of a mountain bordering Zhejiang and Jing Qi
> prefactures (in Ming dynasty) , "jie"-- meant boundary.
> Chang Xin was south of Luo Jie mountain, Jing Qi was north of Luo
> Jie.
> Chang Xin retains its name till today.
>
> Luo Jie tea from Gu Chu mountain in Chang Xing county in Zhejiang was
> also known as Gu Chu Voilet Shoot. Gu Chu Voilet Shoot
> had being imperial tribute tea Since Tang dynasty for nearly nine
> hundred years until the middle of Qin dynasty.
> Gu Chu Voilet Shoot has being revived again in the seventies as a
> top grade tea in China
>

> [2] Jin Qi is now called Yi Xin township. Jin Qi tea was also

known
> as Yang Xian tea
>

> [3] Ruo leave: Leaves from <a

href="http://www.bamboo.ws/bam-boo_images/booindotess.gif">Indocalamus
> tessellatus bamboo</a>. The leave is about 45 cm long. Ruo bamboo
> grows in Yangtse River basin.
>

> Translated by Martin Tai from Wen Zhen Heng: Zhang Wu Zhi (ca 1621

AD,
> Ming dynasty)

Liu An Tea

"Liu An" [1] tea, great for medicine, if not baked right, it cannot
let out aroma and has a bitter taste. The inherent
quality of this tea is actually quite good.

Note:

[1]: Liu An is the name of a county in Anhui.
Liu An tea is still produced from Liu An county in Anhui
province in China. The Liu An
tea from the Bat Cave of Jin Zai county is of superior quality, as
thousand of bats in the cave provide
ideal fertilizer for tea plants.

Translated from Wen Zhen Heng: Zhang Wu Zhi, vol 12: On Scent and Tea

> The Jie Tea[1]
>

> Jie Tea from Chang Xing of Zhejiang is superb and highly
> regarded, though rather pricy. Those from Jing Qi[2]
> is slighttly inferior.
> When picking tea, there is no need to pick too fine leaves, too
> fine tea leaves are nascent and lack flavour.
> Also void leaves which are too green, as they are too old and have
> lost tenderness in flavour. It is best to pick
> the leaves which are greenish roundish and thick. Do not dry them
> in the sun, rather bake them with charcoal fire, cool
> down with a fan then stored in container lined with ruo[3] leaves and
> keep it on a high place, because tea relish warmth and dry
> abhor cool and dampness.
>

> Notes:
>
> [1] "Jie" was the short hame for "Luo Jie"
> Luo Jie was the name of a mountain bordering Zhejiang and Jing Qi
> prefactures (in Ming dynasty) , "jie"-- meant boundary.
> Chang Xin was south of Luo Jie mountain, Jing Qi was north of Luo
> Jie.
> Chang Xin retains its name till today.
>
> Luo Jie tea from Gu Chu mountain in Chang Xing county in Zhejiang was
> also known as Gu Chu Voilet Shoot. Gu Chu Voilet Shoot
> had being imperial tribute tea Since Tang dynasty for nearly nine
> hundred years until the middle of Qin dynasty.
> Gu Chu Voilet Shoot has being revived again in the seventies as a
> top grade tea in China
>

> [2] Jin Qi is now called Yi Xin township. Jin Qi tea was also

known
> as Yang Xian tea
>

> [3] Ruo leave: Leaves from <a

href="http://www.bamboo.ws/bam-boo_images/booindotess.gif">Indocalamus
> tessellatus bamboo</a>. The leave is about 45 cm long. Ruo bamboo
> grows in Yangtse River basin.
>

> Translated by Martin Tai from Wen Zhen Heng: Zhang Wu Zhi (ca 1621

AD,
> Ming dynasty)

Liu An Tea

"Liu An" [1] tea, great for medicine, if not baked right, it cannot
let out aroma and has a bitter taste. The inherent
quality of this tea is actually quite good.

Note:

[1]: Liu An is the name of a county in Anhui.
Liu An tea is still produced from Liu An county in Anhui
province in China. The Liu An
tea from the Bat Cave of Jin Zai county is of superior quality, as
thousand of bats in the cave provide
ideal fertilizer for tea plants.

Translated from Wen Zhen Heng: Zhang Wu Zhi, vol 12: On Scent and Tea

Song Luo[1] Tea

There is'nt any real Song Luo tea outside an area of a dozen mu[1],
only one or two family posses
the refined skill to prepare Song Luo tea. Lately the tea hand baked
by mountain monks is even better.
Real Song Luo tea is produced at the foot of the Dong Shan [ Cave
Hill ] and on top of the Tian Chi[Heaven Pool], highly
treasured by people in Xin An county [2]. It is also a favourite for
the people of Nan Du and Qu Zong counties,
due to its ease in brewing and intense aroma.

Translated from Wen Zhen Heng: Zhang Wu Zhi, vol 12: On Scent and Tea

[1] Song Luo tea is manufactured at Song Luo mountain located north of
Xiu Ming township in An Hui proovince in China.
The tea farms are scattered between six to seven hundred meter
height on the mountain.
[2] One mu = 667 square meter
[3] Now Xiu Ning county in An Hui province

Dragon Well [1] tea and Eyes on Heaven [2] Tea

Long Jin and Tian Mu, because cold season comes earlier to the
mountains, there is abundant snow in the winter,
hence the tea plants germinate later, if picked and baked properly, may
match Heaven Pool tea.

Translated from Wen Zhen Heng: Zhang Wu Zhi

[1] Long Jin tea is manufactured in the West Lake district in Hangzhou
city, China. There is a Long Jin [Dragon Fountain]
foutain on the Feng Huang mountain.
[2] Tian Mu mountain is located in Lin An county in the north west of
Zhejiang province. There are two peaks of fifteen
hundred meter height, each with a pond on top filled with crystal clear
water, look like a pair of eyes, hence the
name of Eyes on Heaven.

Washing Tea

First boiled water, wait a while till it cools down, use it to
rinse tea and clean dust, save the
tea leaves in a settling bowl[1], till it cools down, then steep, the
aroma will release naturally.

Translated from Wen Zhen Heng: On Superfluous Things. (Zhang Wu Zhi)
[1] Also called "tea container", used for sheltering rinsed tea.

Tea Washer

A tea washer is made from clay, it resembles a bowel with two
layers, the base of its top layer has numerous holes.
Used for washing tea, sand and dust all flow out from these holes, most
convenient.

Translated from Wen Zhen Heng: Zhang Wu Zhi ( On Superfluous Things)
(1620 AD ) Ming Dynasty

> > Tea Washer
> >
> > A tea washer is made from clay, it resembles a bowel with two
> > layers, the base of its top layer has numerous holes.
> > Used for washing tea, sand and dust all flow out from these holes,

> most
> > convenient.
> >
> > Translated from Wen Zhen Heng: Zhang Wu Zhi ( On Superfluous

Things)
> > (1620 AD ) Ming Dynasty

> Tea stove and water kettle
>
> Some of Master Jiang's tea stoves were made from cast bronze, some
> with beast head motif, some plain; other bronze stoves were casted in
> the shape of three legged urn, all are useful.
>
> The best water kettle is made of lead, tin kettle comes second,
> copper one can also be used. The one shaped like a bamboo tube is
> fireproof and easy to pour. Although porcelain kettle does not take
> away the essense of water, yet it is unsuitable, and not elegant
> looking.
>
> Translated from Wen Zhen Heng: Zhang Wu Zhi ( On Superfloous Things),
> chapter 12.

Tea Pot

The best tea pot is made from clay, not only does not take awy
aroma, but also has no ripe water odor.
"Gong Chun"[1] pots are most expensive, however their style is
unrefined, also lack smaller size ones.
The pots made by Shi Dabing[2] are yet too small, only if one can
find an antique looking and clean pot which can
hold half a litre of water, that would be most suitable for pouring
tea. Various pots with tasteless patterns such
as "Ti Liang", "Lying melon", "Twin pear", "Fan cover", "Octogon
with small flowers", "Tin inlaid tea pot", "Blue flower
on white" etc should be avoided.
Zhao Liang Bi[3] tin jar is fine too, but more suitable for the
winter months.
Recently, Wu Zhong[5] county Gu's tin pot and Jia Ho county
Wong's tin pot, fetched highest price, however
rather small and vulgar.
Gold or silver pots are all not in style.

Tranlated from Wen Zhen Heng :Zhang Wu Zhi ( On Superfluous Things)
chapter 12.<P>

[1] Gong Chun, the grandmother of Yixing tea pot during Ming dynasty
Wan Li era (1573-1619).
[2] Shi Dabing, considered the greatest master of Yixing pot, son of
Shi Peng, a comtemporary of Gong Chun.
Initially, Shi Dabing imitated Gong Chun and made large size Yixing
tea pots, later created his own style tiny tea pots
[3] Zhao Liang Bi, Ming dynasty master craftsman of tin jar in Wu
Zhong county ( now in Sozhou province )

Tea Cup

Emperor Xuan Zhong reign [1] tea cups with pointed footings are of
superior quality and style, solid and not easily
cool off, they are as white as jade, great for check out the color of
tea. This is number one tea cup

Emperor Shi Zhong reign [2] altar cups made for tea, fruit juice
and wine, the one with inscription "Gold Charm Ceremony
Altar " is fine as well.

White Ding Kiln[3] tea cups are collectibles not for day to day
use. Due to the fact that a cup for steeping tea
ought to be warmed up in order to creat milky foams on the surface of
tea, porcelain ware from ancient kiln may be
damaged by heating, this is something one ought to bear in mind.

There are also pots made by Old Man Chui's Kiln, somewhat larger,
can be used as container for
fruit and nuts; the fruits must be limitd to those which do not take
away aroma such as filbert seeds, pine seeds,
fresh bamboo shoots, chicken peas and lotus seeds; tangerine, orange
and jasmine are positively out.

[1] Emperor Xuan Zhong reign : 1426-1449
[2] Emperor Shi Zhong reign 1523-1565
[3] Ding Kiln was founded in Tang dynasty, it became one of the most
famous kilns in North Song Dynasty.

> Tea Cup
>

> Emperor Xuan Zhong reign [1] tea cups with pointed footings are of
> superior quality and style, solid and not easily
> cool off, they are as white as jade, great for check out the color of
> tea. This is number one tea cup
>
> Emperor Shi Zhong reign [2] altar cups made for tea, fruit juice
> and wine, the one with inscription "Gold Charm Ceremony
> Altar " is fine as well.
>
> White Ding Kiln[3] tea cups are collectibles not for day to day
> use. Due to the fact that a cup for steeping tea
> ought to be warmed up in order to creat milky foams on the surface

of
> tea, porcelain ware from ancient kiln may be
> damaged by heating, this is something one ought to bear in mind.
>
> There are also pots made by Old Man Chui's Kiln, somewhat larger,
> can be used as container for
> fruit and nuts; the fruits must be limitd to those which do not take
> away aroma such as filbert seeds, pine seeds,
> fresh bamboo shoots, chicken peas and lotus seeds; tangerine, orange
> and jasmine are positively out.
>
> [1] Emperor Xuan Zhong reign : 1426-1449
> [2] Emperor Shi Zhong reign 1523-1565
> [3] Ding Kiln was founded in Tang dynasty, it became one of the most
> famous kilns in North Song Dynasty.

Choice of Charcoal

Water for steeping tea abhors smoke, therefore things like falling
leaves, tree twigs, pine cones, even though
fashionable to talk about, but actually can not be used.

Furthermore, cracking charcoal and smoking charcoal may fill a
room with dense smoke, they are the worst enemy
of tea.
Charcoal from the Chang Xin tea mountain, known as "golden
charcoal" is the right size, when kindled with cinder, it
is the best friend for preparing water for steeping tea.

Translated from Wen Zhen Heng: Zhang Wu Zhi (On Superfluous Things)
Chapter 12, by Martin Tai

Livio Zanini

> ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...

> wrote:
> > Tea Cup
> >

> > Emperor Xuan Zhong reign [1] tea cups with pointed footings are of
> > superior quality and style, solid and not easily
> > cool off, they are as white as jade, great for check out the color of
> > tea. This is number one tea cup
> >
> > Emperor Shi Zhong reign [2] altar cups made for tea, fruit juice
> > and wine, the one with inscription "Gold Charm Ceremony
> > Altar " is fine as well.
> >
> > White Ding Kiln[3] tea cups are collectibles not for day to day
> > use. Due to the fact that a cup for steeping tea
> > ought to be warmed up in order to creat milky foams on the surface

> of
> > tea, porcelain ware from ancient kiln may be
> > damaged by heating, this is something one ought to bear in mind.
> >
> > There are also pots made by Old Man Chui's Kiln, somewhat larger,
> > can be used as container for
> > fruit and nuts; the fruits must be limitd to those which do not take
> > away aroma such as filbert seeds, pine seeds,
> > fresh bamboo shoots, chicken peas and lotus seeds; tangerine, orange
> > and jasmine are positively out.
> >
> > [1] Emperor Xuan Zhong reign : 1426-1449
> > [2] Emperor Shi Zhong reign 1523-1565
> > [3] Ding Kiln was founded in Tang dynasty, it became one of the most
> > famous kilns in North Song Dynasty.

> Choice of Charcoal
>
> Water for steeping tea abhors smoke, therefore things like falling
> leaves, tree twigs, pine cones, even though
> fashionable to talk about, but actually can not be used.
>
> Furthermore, cracking charcoal and smoking charcoal may fill a
> room with dense smoke, they are the worst enemy
> of tea.
> Charcoal from the Chang Xin tea mountain, known as "golden
> charcoal" is the right size, when kindled with cinder, it
> is the best friend for preparing water for steeping tea.
>
> Translated from Wen Zhen Heng: Zhang Wu Zhi (On Superfluous Things)
> Chapter 12, by Martin Tai

Nice to find someone who shares the interest for ancient treatises. Did you
posted also the parts regarding tea varieties?