Mydnight

Default I'm returning to China.

I have been following this newgroup for about a month now, and I have
really enjoyed it!

If anyone here wants any tea sent from China but not worry about all
the exporting and fees, you can just contact me. I think I'm going to
setup some sort of paypal account or online buying service. I can get
you the best quality stuff for way cheaper than what's being sold on
the websites, I'm pretty sure.

I'm going back go Guangdong, and I have many many friends in the huge
Fangcun market in Guangzhou.

Feb 5 I'm out of here.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
pilo_

In article >,
Mydnight > wrote:

> If anyone here wants any tea sent from China but not worry about all
> the exporting and fees, you can just contact me.

wow....this raises some interesting possiblities! i would
bet you could raise plenty of interest here and on the
tea mailing lists! i'm definitely interested.............pilo*
pilo_

In article >,
Mydnight > wrote:

> If anyone here wants any tea sent from China but not worry about all
> the exporting and fees, you can just contact me.

wow....this raises some interesting possiblities! i would
bet you could raise plenty of interest here and on the
tea mailing lists! i'm definitely interested.............pilo*
Alex Chaihorsky

That would be absolutely fantastic. I would send you a check for $100 as a
deposit tomorrow, if you want.

Sasha.

"Mydnight" > wrote in message
>I have been following this newgroup for about a month now, and I have
> really enjoyed it!
>
> If anyone here wants any tea sent from China but not worry about all
> the exporting and fees, you can just contact me. I think I'm going to
> setup some sort of paypal account or online buying service. I can get
> you the best quality stuff for way cheaper than what's being sold on
> the websites, I'm pretty sure.
>
> I'm going back go Guangdong, and I have many many friends in the huge
> Fangcun market in Guangzhou.
>
> Feb 5 I'm out of here.
>

> Mydnight
>
> --------------------
> thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades
> of an endless night.

Alex Chaihorsky

"Mydnight" > wrote in message
>I have been following this newgroup for about a month now, and I have
> really enjoyed it!
>
> If anyone here wants any tea sent from China but not worry about all
> the exporting and fees, you can just contact me. I think I'm going to
> setup some sort of paypal account or online buying service. I can get
> you the best quality stuff for way cheaper than what's being sold on
> the websites, I'm pretty sure.
>
> I'm going back go Guangdong, and I have many many friends in the huge
> Fangcun market in Guangzhou.
>
> Feb 5 I'm out of here.
>

> Mydnight
>
> --------------------
> thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades
> of an endless night.

Mydnight

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 23:30:19 GMT, "Alex Chaihorsky"
> wrote:

>That would be absolutely fantastic. I would send you a check for $100 as a
>deposit tomorrow, if you want.

I think I'm going to run it via paypal more than likely. You don't
have to have a paypal account to remit money, do you? I remember the
thread here about all the problems people had with it.

This was just a headsup to everyone here. When I get myself solid in
Guangzhou, I can begin to scout out the market for items and things.
I'll also have to find some more information about sending things from
China. A package was sent to me China Post over a month ago
now...using the quick method.

FEDex and UPS are simply too stupidly expensive, IMO.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Ripon

Hello mydnight, wonderful idea. When you will be in China, I will be in
Maputo, Mozambique. Will it be possible to send me tea there? Otherwise
I will provide you my State Department address in Washington DC which
will delay the tea, two-three more weeks which is not good for some
types of teas. Please let me know, what types and grade teas are
available so I can order some tea. While your are talking about your
searching about postal system please also add a little time about China
to Mozambique postal cost. Otherwise, I will use China-US-Mozambique
channel. I am also going to China next year and would love to spend
sometime in Guangdong. My e-mail address is Please let me
know your thought and thanks again for your offer.

Ripon
Vienna,VA

Mydnight wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 23:30:19 GMT, "Alex Chaihorsky"
> > wrote:
>
> >That would be absolutely fantastic. I would send you a check for

$100 as a
> >deposit tomorrow, if you want.

> I think I'm going to run it via paypal more than likely. You don't
> have to have a paypal account to remit money, do you? I remember the
> thread here about all the problems people had with it.
>
> This was just a headsup to everyone here. When I get myself solid in
> Guangzhou, I can begin to scout out the market for items and things.
> I'll also have to find some more information about sending things

from
> China. A package was sent to me China Post over a month ago
> now...using the quick method.
>
> FEDex and UPS are simply too stupidly expensive, IMO.
>

> Mydnight
>
> --------------------
> thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn

shades of an endless night.

Ripon

Mydnight wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 23:30:19 GMT, "Alex Chaihorsky"
> > wrote:
>
> >That would be absolutely fantastic. I would send you a check for

$100 as a
> >deposit tomorrow, if you want.

> I think I'm going to run it via paypal more than likely. You don't
> have to have a paypal account to remit money, do you? I remember the
> thread here about all the problems people had with it.
>
> This was just a headsup to everyone here. When I get myself solid in
> Guangzhou, I can begin to scout out the market for items and things.
> I'll also have to find some more information about sending things

from
> China. A package was sent to me China Post over a month ago
> now...using the quick method.
>
> FEDex and UPS are simply too stupidly expensive, IMO.
>

> Mydnight
>
> --------------------
> thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn

shades of an endless night.

Mydnight

On 10 Dec 2004 17:45:01 -0800, "Ripon" > wrote:

>Hello mydnight, wonderful idea. When you will be in China, I will be in
>Maputo, Mozambique. Will it be possible to send me tea there? Otherwise
>I will provide you my State Department address in Washington DC which
>will delay the tea, two-three more weeks which is not good for some
>types of teas. Please let me know, what types and grade teas are
>available so I can order some tea. While your are talking about your
>searching about postal system please also add a little time about China
>to Mozambique postal cost. Otherwise, I will use China-US-Mozambique
>channel. I am also going to China next year and would love to spend
>sometime in Guangdong. My e-mail address is Please let me
>know your thought and thanks again for your offer.
>
>Ripon
>Vienna,VA

Surely. I will look up information on sending to Mozambique, but I
can already tell you that China Post may have a problem sending things
to African countries. They are extremely prejudice towards Africans
in China from what I've seen. Some of my friends from Ghana tried to
go there and get jobs and a real problem with VISAs and so forth and
my friend from Mozambique tried to send some packages and customs
refused to let it go.

You are right. Teas being in transit for too long can spoil,
especially how they handle the packages there. I will ask around when
I get back and see if I can find some routes that exporters use.
Maybe there is a way around the huge wait time....then again, sending
a package or two of tea wouldn't be that expensive by airmail since
it's so light.

ATTN rec.food.drink.tea ATTN

Everyone that reads these posts, please be aware this is an idea that
recently dawned on me and I am in the preliminary stages of research
on it. I don't want to get everyone's hopes up and then find that
it's too difficult to send the tea this way. The most expensive part
would be the shipping, I think. I will do my best because some of the
sites that I have seen linked here and there are totally rip-off and
it angers me. But who knows what could come from this. I hope it
will work out!

cheers.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Ripon

You raised a very interesting issue here though it is not related with
tea. I can't stop myself to share some of my thought about Chinese
prejudice towards Africans. This view is not true anymore my friend.
Let me explain a little-

Chinese booming economy can't effort buying oil from international
market and many African countries are rich in oil and gas. African huge
market is a big hope for Chinese cheap product. Last year Africa-China
business was $ 18 billion and Chinese are expecting $30 billion within
two years. Many African countries are under American and British trade
embargo and China is taking this as a business opportunity. They are
investing heavily in African nation just for their cheap oil. Sudan,
Gabon, Nigeria, Angola, Zambia all of this countries are using China as
a trading broker- on the other hand China is getting cheap fuel from
them. Their growing economy can't effort high oil price anymore. China
know, many African countries per head GNP income is much higher then
China. China really care a lot about African nation because they can't
do many deal with Europe, American and many Asian countries. Africa is
the only place where they have more freedom to act.

Anyway I don't think, it will be a problem. If it is then, I will use
my State Department address. I hope to get some friend in the Chinese
embassy there so I can use some of their address. The area I am going
to live is five minutes walk from Chinese embassy. I always hope for
the best-

By the way, I have been to China and agree with you- how this vendors
are ripping-off us by the name of rare teas. I understand you feeling
about that. I really appreciate your effort for doing this for us. If
you can do it that's great, if you can't that's fine. Don;t worry-
Ripon
Vienna,VA

Mydnight

On 10 Dec 2004 21:30:57 -0800, "Ripon" > wrote:

>You raised a very interesting issue here though it is not related with
>tea. I can't stop myself to share some of my thought about Chinese
>prejudice towards Africans. This view is not true anymore my friend.
>Let me explain a little-

Well, I was just telling you from what I saw when I was there earlier
this year. I dealt with many business-types and people in embassies
and so forth and they all seem to have it in for Africans. I spent
about 3 or 4 months with a dear friend of mine from Ghana and he
seemed to have so much trouble.

>By the way, I have been to China and agree with you- how this vendors
>are ripping-off us by the name of rare teas. I understand you feeling
>about that. I really appreciate your effort for doing this for us. If
>you can do it that's great, if you can't that's fine. Don;t worry-
>Ripon
>Vienna,VA

I will do my best, I assure you. I am just sick of seeing low grade
tea being sold on websites so expensively.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Mydnight

On 10 Dec 2004 21:30:57 -0800, "Ripon" > wrote:

>You raised a very interesting issue here though it is not related with
>tea. I can't stop myself to share some of my thought about Chinese
>prejudice towards Africans. This view is not true anymore my friend.
>Let me explain a little-

Well, I was just telling you from what I saw when I was there earlier
this year. I dealt with many business-types and people in embassies
and so forth and they all seem to have it in for Africans. I spent
about 3 or 4 months with a dear friend of mine from Ghana and he
seemed to have so much trouble.

>By the way, I have been to China and agree with you- how this vendors
>are ripping-off us by the name of rare teas. I understand you feeling
>about that. I really appreciate your effort for doing this for us. If
>you can do it that's great, if you can't that's fine. Don;t worry-
>Ripon
>Vienna,VA

I will do my best, I assure you. I am just sick of seeing low grade
tea being sold on websites so expensively.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Falky foo

How long are you going to be there or is it a permanent move?

"Mydnight" > wrote in message
> I have been following this newgroup for about a month now, and I have
> really enjoyed it!
>
> If anyone here wants any tea sent from China but not worry about all
> the exporting and fees, you can just contact me. I think I'm going to
> setup some sort of paypal account or online buying service. I can get
> you the best quality stuff for way cheaper than what's being sold on
> the websites, I'm pretty sure.
>
> I'm going back go Guangdong, and I have many many friends in the huge
> Fangcun market in Guangzhou.
>
> Feb 5 I'm out of here.
>

> Mydnight
>
> --------------------
> thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades

of an endless night.

Falky foo

"Mydnight" > wrote in message
> I have been following this newgroup for about a month now, and I have
> really enjoyed it!
>
> If anyone here wants any tea sent from China but not worry about all
> the exporting and fees, you can just contact me. I think I'm going to
> setup some sort of paypal account or online buying service. I can get
> you the best quality stuff for way cheaper than what's being sold on
> the websites, I'm pretty sure.
>
> I'm going back go Guangdong, and I have many many friends in the huge
> Fangcun market in Guangzhou.
>
> Feb 5 I'm out of here.
>

> Mydnight
>
> --------------------
> thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades

of an endless night.

Mydnight

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 07:42:38 GMT, "Falky foo"
> wrote:

>How long are you going to be there or is it a permanent move?

at least a year. we'll see how it goes from there depending on job
opportunities after I'm totally fluent in the language. heh.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Mydnight

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 07:42:38 GMT, "Falky foo"
> wrote:

>How long are you going to be there or is it a permanent move?

at least a year. we'll see how it goes from there depending on job
opportunities after I'm totally fluent in the language. heh.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Josh

Well, I know you said that this is only a possibility, but you can
definitely count me as interested. I'd love to get truly good teas
straight from the source!

Josh

Well, I know you said that this is only a possibility, but you can
definitely count me as interested. I'd love to get truly good teas
straight from the source!

J Boehm

> If the most expensive part would be the shipping, why are you so sure that
> the sites in China talked about here are ripoffs? It would be interesting
> to see some cost estimates.
>
> /Lew

Quite agree. I have a business associate who brought me some Oolong from
China, he got it in Beijing. To be honest I couldn't make out any
difference in taste to the teas I get here in Europe, and this Chinese guy
complained about the high price he paid in China. I think, unless we are
getting into the esoteric, we are served quite well in the West, and tea
is a very cheap beverage in any case.
I can also buy tea directly in India, if I really want to, shipping costs
usually make this option very unattractive.
Just my tuppence.
JB

J Boehm

> If the most expensive part would be the shipping, why are you so sure that
> the sites in China talked about here are ripoffs? It would be interesting
> to see some cost estimates.
>
> /Lew

Quite agree. I have a business associate who brought me some Oolong from
China, he got it in Beijing. To be honest I couldn't make out any
difference in taste to the teas I get here in Europe, and this Chinese guy
complained about the high price he paid in China. I think, unless we are
getting into the esoteric, we are served quite well in the West, and tea
is a very cheap beverage in any case.
I can also buy tea directly in India, if I really want to, shipping costs
usually make this option very unattractive.
Just my tuppence.
JB
Lewis Perin

Mydnight > writes:

> [...My future as tea exporter in China...]
> Everyone that reads these posts, please be aware this is an idea that
> recently dawned on me and I am in the preliminary stages of research
> on it. I don't want to get everyone's hopes up and then find that
> it's too difficult to send the tea this way. The most expensive part
> would be the shipping, I think. I will do my best because some of the
> sites that I have seen linked here and there are totally rip-off and
> it angers me. But who knows what could come from this. I hope it
> will work out!

If the most expensive part would be the shipping, why are you so sure
that the sites in China talked about here are ripoffs? It would be
interesting to see some cost estimates.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Lewis Perin

Mydnight > writes:

> [...My future as tea exporter in China...]
> Everyone that reads these posts, please be aware this is an idea that
> recently dawned on me and I am in the preliminary stages of research
> on it. I don't want to get everyone's hopes up and then find that
> it's too difficult to send the tea this way. The most expensive part
> would be the shipping, I think. I will do my best because some of the
> sites that I have seen linked here and there are totally rip-off and
> it angers me. But who knows what could come from this. I hope it
> will work out!

If the most expensive part would be the shipping, why are you so sure
that the sites in China talked about here are ripoffs? It would be
interesting to see some cost estimates.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Joseph Kubera

Mydnight, count me in too. I'm definitely interested in tea-direct as well.

Joe Kubera
Joseph Kubera

Mydnight, count me in too. I'm definitely interested in tea-direct as well.

Joe Kubera

Karel Valter

Dear Mydnight,
I might be interrested in your proposal of buying tea directly from
China but I wonder how I will find you after your departure.
I see you are just making a market research so you are not giving any
address where to find you. So please put me on your customer list.
The province of Guandong is of particular interest to me because of
its Wulong type teas ( various fine Dan Congs). Also the Wulongs from
Taiwan you wrote about might interrest me.
When you have some tea to sell please contact me by e-mail :

Good luck
Karel Valter

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:41:01 GMT, Mydnight > wrote:

>If anyone here wants any tea sent from China but not worry about all
>the exporting and fees, you can just contact me. I think I'm going to
>setup some sort of paypal account or online buying service. I can get
>you the best quality stuff for way cheaper than what's being sold on
>the websites, I'm pretty sure.
>
>I'm going back go Guangdong, and I have many many friends in the huge
>Fangcun market in Guangzhou.
>
>Feb 5 I'm out of here.
>

>Mydnight
>
>--------------------
>thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

Karel Valter

Dear Mydnight,
I might be interrested in your proposal of buying tea directly from
China but I wonder how I will find you after your departure.
I see you are just making a market research so you are not giving any
address where to find you. So please put me on your customer list.
The province of Guandong is of particular interest to me because of
its Wulong type teas ( various fine Dan Congs). Also the Wulongs from
Taiwan you wrote about might interrest me.
When you have some tea to sell please contact me by e-mail :

Good luck
Karel Valter

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:41:01 GMT, Mydnight > wrote:

>If anyone here wants any tea sent from China but not worry about all
>the exporting and fees, you can just contact me. I think I'm going to
>setup some sort of paypal account or online buying service. I can get
>you the best quality stuff for way cheaper than what's being sold on
>the websites, I'm pretty sure.
>
>I'm going back go Guangdong, and I have many many friends in the huge
>Fangcun market in Guangzhou.
>
>Feb 5 I'm out of here.
>

>Mydnight
>
>--------------------
>thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

Space Cowboy

I've been to many a farmer's market and passed on the produce to find
it cheaper and fresher in the store around the corner. I just got some
good hermetically sealed rare West Lake Dragonwell cheap in Chinatown.
Not all teas are cheap in Chinatown. A 10oz Taiwan smoky pouchong will
cost you $100. I think in general estate teas are overpriced but
cheaper than an international trip.

Jim

J Boehm wrote:

> > If the most expensive part would be the shipping, why are you so

sure that
> > the sites in China talked about here are ripoffs? It would be

interesting
> > to see some cost estimates.
> >
> > /Lew

> Quite agree. I have a business associate who brought me some Oolong

from
> China, he got it in Beijing. To be honest I couldn't make out any
> difference in taste to the teas I get here in Europe, and this

Chinese guy
> complained about the high price he paid in China. I think, unless we

are
> getting into the esoteric, we are served quite well in the West, and

tea
> is a very cheap beverage in any case.
> I can also buy tea directly in India, if I really want to, shipping

costs
> usually make this option very unattractive.
> Just my tuppence.
> JB

Space Cowboy

J Boehm wrote:

> > If the most expensive part would be the shipping, why are you so

sure that
> > the sites in China talked about here are ripoffs? It would be

interesting
> > to see some cost estimates.
> >
> > /Lew

> Quite agree. I have a business associate who brought me some Oolong

from
> China, he got it in Beijing. To be honest I couldn't make out any
> difference in taste to the teas I get here in Europe, and this

Chinese guy
> complained about the high price he paid in China. I think, unless we

are
> getting into the esoteric, we are served quite well in the West, and

tea
> is a very cheap beverage in any case.
> I can also buy tea directly in India, if I really want to, shipping

costs
> usually make this option very unattractive.
> Just my tuppence.
> JB

Mydnight

I said this before, and I will say it again he

Everyone that reads these posts, please be aware this is an idea that
recently dawned on me and I am in the preliminary stages of research
on it. I don't want to get everyone's hopes up and then find that
it's too difficult to send the tea this way. The most expensive part
would be the shipping, I think. I will do my best because some of the
sites that I have seen linked here and there are totally rip-off and
it angers me. But who knows what could come from this. I hope it
will work out!

I didn't mean to make it sound like everyone that has ever bought
anything from a website is being ripped off. I'm just saying that
some of the sites that I've seen here have hiked their prices up alot.
I wasn't talking as much about tea quality as I was prices.

If you feel you are having a good relationship with certain vendors,
by all means keep it. But, I just thought I'd try to provide a
service for you guys if i could.

thanks for your support and your inquiries. I will make sure I give
adequate information on how to contact me before I leave. I am
serious about this!

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

Hi Mydnight,

I meant to chip in earlier but I've been busy and too confused by the
new group layout to get around to it 'til now. I just wanted to point
out that I tried to send some tea to the US in summer from Shanghai,
and China Post said that they could not do it, America refusing to
receive tea (and one assumes other organic produce) sent from China. I
would check with China Post (and perhaps UPS, DHL etc) when you're next
out there. On the plus side, sending to Africa (the 'wrong continent')
I doubt would be a problem.

Mike Petro

I have received at least 20kg of tea through China Post over the last
year, and it was all properly declared through customs. I have also
received tea through UPS, DHL, and EMS. The trick is to learn about
the FDA "Prior Notification" process.

>I just wanted to point
>out that I tried to send some tea to the US in summer from Shanghai,
>and China Post said that they could not do it, America refusing to
>receive tea (and one assumes other organic produce) sent from China. I
>would check with China Post (and perhaps UPS, DHL etc) when you're next
>out there.

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply

Melinda

Mike could you please tell me about thie=s...I want to order some tea from
Malaysia but I am not sure how to do it properly. It's commercially packaged
tea if that matters.

Melinda

--
"The country has entered an era in which
questions are not asked, for questions are
"Mike Petro" > wrote in message
>I have received at least 20kg of tea through China Post over the last
> year, and it was all properly declared through customs. I have also
> received tea through UPS, DHL, and EMS. The trick is to learn about
> the FDA "Prior Notification" process.
>
>>I just wanted to point
>>out that I tried to send some tea to the US in summer from Shanghai,
>>and China Post said that they could not do it, America refusing to
>>receive tea (and one assumes other organic produce) sent from China. I
>>would check with China Post (and perhaps UPS, DHL etc) when you're next
>>out there.

> Mike Petro
> http://www.pu-erh.net
> remove the "filter" in my email address to reply

Melinda

"Mike Petro" > wrote in message
>I have received at least 20kg of tea through China Post over the last
> year, and it was all properly declared through customs. I have also
> received tea through UPS, DHL, and EMS. The trick is to learn about
> the FDA "Prior Notification" process.
>
>>I just wanted to point
>>out that I tried to send some tea to the US in summer from Shanghai,
>>and China Post said that they could not do it, America refusing to
>>receive tea (and one assumes other organic produce) sent from China. I
>>would check with China Post (and perhaps UPS, DHL etc) when you're next
>>out there.

> Mike Petro
> http://www.pu-erh.net
> remove the "filter" in my email address to reply

Melinda

Nevermind, I found it. http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/fsbtac13.html and the
submission page http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~pn/pnoview.html

Melinda

"Melinda" > wrote in message
> Mike could you please tell me about thie=s...I want to order some tea from
> Malaysia but I am not sure how to do it properly. It's commercially
> packaged tea if that matters.
>
> Melinda
>
> --
> "The country has entered an era in which
> questions are not asked, for questions are
> daughters of disquiet or arrogance, both
> fruits of temptation and the food of sacrilege." Djaout

> "Mike Petro" > wrote in message
>>I have received at least 20kg of tea through China Post over the last
>> year, and it was all properly declared through customs. I have also
>> received tea through UPS, DHL, and EMS. The trick is to learn about
>> the FDA "Prior Notification" process.
>>
>>>I just wanted to point
>>>out that I tried to send some tea to the US in summer from Shanghai,
>>>and China Post said that they could not do it, America refusing to
>>>receive tea (and one assumes other organic produce) sent from China. I
>>>would check with China Post (and perhaps UPS, DHL etc) when you're next
>>>out there.

>> Mike Petro
>> http://www.pu-erh.net
>> remove the "filter" in my email address to reply

Pasta Mania Returning~!? Zed Frehley[_3_] General Cooking 0 14-01-2016 04:02 AM
Returning member Joanne PR Tea 3 07-02-2015 05:20 PM
After returning ... Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Wine 15 27-05-2008 12:11 AM
without doubt, China has great food to eat, has great kungfu tolearn.....how do you know China? I will tell you more about China [email protected] General Cooking 0 11-04-2008 08:54 AM
Returning (me) Siobhan Perricone General Cooking 10 06-03-2006 03:49 AM