Derek

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 17:47:36 GMT, Tea wrote:

> Feel better, Derek!

Um, thanks. But Michael's the one who's under the weather.

--
Derek

Leaders are like eagles. We don't have either of them here.
Derek

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 17:47:36 GMT, Tea wrote:

> Feel better, Derek!

Um, thanks. But Michael's the one who's under the weather.

--
Derek

Leaders are like eagles. We don't have either of them here.
Derek

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 18:17:36 GMT, Tea wrote:

> "Derek" > wrote in message ...
>> On 7 Dec 2004 18:19:02 -0800, Cathy Weeks wrote:
>>
>>> Now, I believe I just opened myself up to scrutiny, and I'm sure the
>>> above passage is full of mistakes. Sigh...

>> Nah, but I have a question...
>>
>> In the course of a discussion, I came across a phrase like the
>> following:
>>
>> ... according to Ensign Pulver...
>>
>> Now, someone responded while quoting just "Ensign Pulver" and making
>> it plural. That is, "Ensign Pulver"s.
>>
>> This does not look correct to me. So, what is the proper way to make a
>> singular quotation into a plural?
>>
>> Heh. You're the one who admitted to the English education.
>>
>> --
>> Derek
>>
>> Quitters never win. Winners never quit.
>> But those who never win and never quit are idiots.

> It would be "Ensign Pulver's" is it's to show ownership and "Ensign Pulvers"
> to show pluralism.
>
> I'm a former English teacher.
> Michele

That much I understand. But, are you saying that if someone else used
a singular term and I want to use it as a plural, then I make it
plural and put it in quotes?

--
Derek

"Meddle not in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle, and will p!$$
on your cyberdeck." - Jeff Wilder
Derek

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 18:17:36 GMT, Tea wrote:

> "Derek" > wrote in message ...
>> On 7 Dec 2004 18:19:02 -0800, Cathy Weeks wrote:
>>
>>> Now, I believe I just opened myself up to scrutiny, and I'm sure the
>>> above passage is full of mistakes. Sigh...

>> Nah, but I have a question...
>>
>> In the course of a discussion, I came across a phrase like the
>> following:
>>
>> ... according to Ensign Pulver...
>>
>> Now, someone responded while quoting just "Ensign Pulver" and making
>> it plural. That is, "Ensign Pulver"s.
>>
>> This does not look correct to me. So, what is the proper way to make a
>> singular quotation into a plural?
>>
>> Heh. You're the one who admitted to the English education.
>>
>> --
>> Derek
>>
>> Quitters never win. Winners never quit.
>> But those who never win and never quit are idiots.

> It would be "Ensign Pulver's" is it's to show ownership and "Ensign Pulvers"
> to show pluralism.
>
> I'm a former English teacher.
> Michele

That much I understand. But, are you saying that if someone else used
a singular term and I want to use it as a plural, then I make it
plural and put it in quotes?

--
Derek

"Meddle not in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle, and will p!$$
on your cyberdeck." - Jeff Wilder
Bluesea

"Derek" > wrote in message ...

> Actually, I hate liver and onions as done in a restaurant. I'm always
> disappointed. I prefer cooking it myself.

I've liked L&O at only one restaurant, The Hungry Lion in Honolulu.

I do my own now by marinating the liver beforehand in red cooking wine and
cooking in extra virgin olive oil.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

"Derek" > wrote in message ...

> Actually, I hate liver and onions as done in a restaurant. I'm always
> disappointed. I prefer cooking it myself.

I've liked L&O at only one restaurant, The Hungry Lion in Honolulu.

I do my own now by marinating the liver beforehand in red cooking wine and
cooking in extra virgin olive oil.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Derek

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:36:00 GMT, Bluesea wrote:

> "Derek" > wrote in message ...
>>
>> Actually, I hate liver and onions as done in a restaurant. I'm always
>> disappointed. I prefer cooking it myself.

> I've liked L&O at only one restaurant, The Hungry Lion in Honolulu.
>
> I do my own now by marinating the liver beforehand in red cooking wine and
> cooking in extra virgin olive oil.

Oooh. That sounds really good, actually. I haven't tried that, but I
think I'm going to need to do so.

--
Derek

Those who profess to favor freedom and yet deprecate agitation, are
men who want crops without plowing the ground. -- Frederick Douglass,
abolitionist, editor and orator (1817-1895)
Melinda

There was a great recipe I found online for liver with a reduced fresh fig
and balsamic vinegar sauce...it was fantastic. I still add balsamic vinegar
to my liver and make sure I only cook it long enough to be pink inside...too
much and it gets tough.

Melinda

"Derek" > wrote in message news
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:36:00 GMT, Bluesea wrote:
>
>> "Derek" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Actually, I hate liver and onions as done in a restaurant. I'm always
>>> disappointed. I prefer cooking it myself.

>> I've liked L&O at only one restaurant, The Hungry Lion in Honolulu.
>>
>> I do my own now by marinating the liver beforehand in red cooking wine
>> and
>> cooking in extra virgin olive oil.

> Oooh. That sounds really good, actually. I haven't tried that, but I
> think I'm going to need to do so.
>
> --
> Derek
>
> Those who profess to favor freedom and yet deprecate agitation, are
> men who want crops without plowing the ground. -- Frederick Douglass,
> abolitionist, editor and orator (1817-1895)

Melinda

"Derek" > wrote in message news
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:36:00 GMT, Bluesea wrote:
>
>> "Derek" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Actually, I hate liver and onions as done in a restaurant. I'm always
>>> disappointed. I prefer cooking it myself.

>> I've liked L&O at only one restaurant, The Hungry Lion in Honolulu.
>>
>> I do my own now by marinating the liver beforehand in red cooking wine
>> and
>> cooking in extra virgin olive oil.

> Oooh. That sounds really good, actually. I haven't tried that, but I
> think I'm going to need to do so.
>
> --
> Derek
>
> Those who profess to favor freedom and yet deprecate agitation, are
> men who want crops without plowing the ground. -- Frederick Douglass,
> abolitionist, editor and orator (1817-1895)

Tea

Ah. Well then, feel better, Michael!
"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 17:47:36 GMT, Tea wrote:
>
> > Feel better, Derek!

> Um, thanks. But Michael's the one who's under the weather.
>
> --
> Derek
>
> Leaders are like eagles. We don't have either of them here.

Tea

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 17:47:36 GMT, Tea wrote:
>
> > Feel better, Derek!

> Um, thanks. But Michael's the one who's under the weather.
>
> --
> Derek
>
> Leaders are like eagles. We don't have either of them here.

Tea

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 17:47:36 GMT, Tea wrote:
>
> > Feel better, Derek!

> Um, thanks. But Michael's the one who's under the weather.
>
> --
> Derek
>
> Leaders are like eagles. We don't have either of them here.

Tea

"Derek" > wrote in message news
> On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 18:17:36 GMT, Tea wrote:
>

> That much I understand. But, are you saying that if someone else used
> a singular term and I want to use it as a plural, then I make it
> plural and put it in quotes?
>
> --
> Derek

Nope. Let me try to clarify by using the singular and plural below.

One day, a friend and I were talking about movies with with sea-going
themes, and I remembered having watch _Mr. Roberts_ on tv. "Didn't that
movie have Jack Lemmon in it?", asked my friend. "Yes", I said, "he played
Ensign Pulver." "I love that movie, but I'm glad we don't have any Ensign
Pulvers around here," said my firned. "Why?", I asked. "Because he was such
a whiny jerk, and my roommate is bad enough!"

> "Meddle not in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle, and will p!$$
> on your cyberdeck." - Jeff Wilder

Tea

"Derek" > wrote in message news
> On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 18:17:36 GMT, Tea wrote:
>

> That much I understand. But, are you saying that if someone else used
> a singular term and I want to use it as a plural, then I make it
> plural and put it in quotes?
>
> --
> Derek

Nope. Let me try to clarify by using the singular and plural below.

One day, a friend and I were talking about movies with with sea-going
themes, and I remembered having watch _Mr. Roberts_ on tv. "Didn't that
movie have Jack Lemmon in it?", asked my friend. "Yes", I said, "he played
Ensign Pulver." "I love that movie, but I'm glad we don't have any Ensign
Pulvers around here," said my firned. "Why?", I asked. "Because he was such
a whiny jerk, and my roommate is bad enough!"

> "Meddle not in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle, and will p!$$
> on your cyberdeck." - Jeff Wilder

Tea

Joseph- nothing, but nothing, disguises the taste of eggplant, especially
male eggpant (they aren't as sweet).

BTW, I saw a lovely picture of you the other day. I hadn't realized that
you'de done an album with John Cage.

"Joseph Kubera" > wrote in message

> like.
>
> What about ratatouille? Being a stew, that disguises it pretty well.
>
> Joe K

Tea

Joseph- nothing, but nothing, disguises the taste of eggplant, especially
male eggpant (they aren't as sweet).

BTW, I saw a lovely picture of you the other day. I hadn't realized that
you'de done an album with John Cage.

> like.
>
> What about ratatouille? Being a stew, that disguises it pretty well.
>
> Joe K

Tea

Joseph- nothing, but nothing, disguises the taste of eggplant, especially
male eggpant (they aren't as sweet).

BTW, I saw a lovely picture of you the other day. I hadn't realized that
you'de done an album with John Cage.

> like.
>
> What about ratatouille? Being a stew, that disguises it pretty well.
>
> Joe K

Derek

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:10:14 GMT, Tea wrote:

> "Derek" > wrote in message news
>> On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 18:17:36 GMT, Tea wrote:
>>

>> That much I understand. But, are you saying that if someone else used
>> a singular term and I want to use it as a plural, then I make it
>> plural and put it in quotes?
>>
>> --
>> Derek

> Nope. Let me try to clarify by using the singular and plural below.
>
> One day, a friend and I were talking about movies with with sea-going
> themes, and I remembered having watch _Mr. Roberts_ on tv. "Didn't that
> movie have Jack Lemmon in it?", asked my friend. "Yes", I said, "he played
> Ensign Pulver." "I love that movie, but I'm glad we don't have any Ensign
> Pulvers around here," said my firned. "Why?", I asked. "Because he was such
> a whiny jerk, and my roommate is bad enough!"

That much I was always clear on. The current question is what to do
when you are extracting a phrase from someone else's comment and want
to denote it as being a quote, but also want to make it plural. For
example:

Tom writes:

> And then I told the boss that the figglesnart had broken.

Dick responds:

> You shouldn't be playing with "figglesnart"s to begin with.

There in lies the question. How best to make figglesnarts plural and
still keep it in quotes.

--
Derek

"Stir, whip, stir, whip, whip, whip, stir. Beat!" - Chef Gormaanda
Tea

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:10:14 GMT, Tea wrote:
>
> > "Derek" > wrote in message

news
> >> On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 18:17:36 GMT, Tea wrote:
> >>

> >> That much I understand. But, are you saying that if someone else used
> >> a singular term and I want to use it as a plural, then I make it
> >> plural and put it in quotes?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Derek

> > Nope. Let me try to clarify by using the singular and plural below.
> >
> > One day, a friend and I were talking about movies with with sea-going
> > themes, and I remembered having watch _Mr. Roberts_ on tv. "Didn't that
> > movie have Jack Lemmon in it?", asked my friend. "Yes", I said, "he

played
> > Ensign Pulver." "I love that movie, but I'm glad we don't have any

Ensign
> > Pulvers around here," said my firned. "Why?", I asked. "Because he was

such
> > a whiny jerk, and my roommate is bad enough!"

> That much I was always clear on. The current question is what to do
> when you are extracting a phrase from someone else's comment and want
> to denote it as being a quote, but also want to make it plural. For
> example:
>
> Tom writes:
>
> > And then I told the boss that the figglesnart had broken.

> Dick responds:
>
> > You shouldn't be playing with "figglesnart"s to begin with.

> There in lies the question. How best to make figglesnarts plural and
> still keep it in quotes.

Like this- 'figglesnarts'.

As in,
Don't mess with my 'tout-tout'. Only my boyfriend can do that. There are
plenty of other girls with 'tout-touts' for you to play with.

> --
> Derek
>
> "Stir, whip, stir, whip, whip, whip, stir. Beat!" - Chef Gormaanda

Derek

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:59:12 GMT, Tea wrote:

> "Derek" > wrote in message ...
>> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:10:14 GMT, Tea wrote:
>>
>>> "Derek" > wrote in message

> news

>>> Nope. Let me try to clarify by using the singular and plural below.
>>>
>>> One day, a friend and I were talking about movies with with sea-going
>>> themes, and I remembered having watch _Mr. Roberts_ on tv. "Didn't that
>>> movie have Jack Lemmon in it?", asked my friend. "Yes", I said, "he

> played
>>> Ensign Pulver." "I love that movie, but I'm glad we don't have any

> Ensign
>>> Pulvers around here," said my firned. "Why?", I asked. "Because he was

> such
>>> a whiny jerk, and my roommate is bad enough!"

>> That much I was always clear on. The current question is what to do
>> when you are extracting a phrase from someone else's comment and want
>> to denote it as being a quote, but also want to make it plural. For
>> example:
>>
>> Tom writes:
>>
>>> And then I told the boss that the figglesnart had broken.

>> Dick responds:
>>
>>> You shouldn't be playing with "figglesnart"s to begin with.

>> There in lies the question. How best to make figglesnarts plural and
>> still keep it in quotes.

> Like this- 'figglesnarts'.

That's what I thought.

> As in,
> Don't mess with my 'tout-tout'. Only my boyfriend can do that. There are
> plenty of other girls with 'tout-touts' for you to play with.

Exactly. Besides, if I messed with your "tout-tout", my wife would
kill me.

--
Derek

"A real star, the kind who haunts my memory night and day is the U.S.
soldier in Baghdad who saw a little girl playing with a piece of
unexploded ordinance . . . He pushed her aside and threw himself on it
just as it exploded." - Ben Stein

Derek

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:59:12 GMT, Tea wrote:

> "Derek" > wrote in message ...
>> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:10:14 GMT, Tea wrote:
>>
>>> "Derek" > wrote in message

> news

>>> Nope. Let me try to clarify by using the singular and plural below.
>>>
>>> One day, a friend and I were talking about movies with with sea-going
>>> themes, and I remembered having watch _Mr. Roberts_ on tv. "Didn't that
>>> movie have Jack Lemmon in it?", asked my friend. "Yes", I said, "he

> played
>>> Ensign Pulver." "I love that movie, but I'm glad we don't have any

> Ensign
>>> Pulvers around here," said my firned. "Why?", I asked. "Because he was

> such
>>> a whiny jerk, and my roommate is bad enough!"

>> That much I was always clear on. The current question is what to do
>> when you are extracting a phrase from someone else's comment and want
>> to denote it as being a quote, but also want to make it plural. For
>> example:
>>
>> Tom writes:
>>
>>> And then I told the boss that the figglesnart had broken.

>> Dick responds:
>>
>>> You shouldn't be playing with "figglesnart"s to begin with.

>> There in lies the question. How best to make figglesnarts plural and
>> still keep it in quotes.

> Like this- 'figglesnarts'.

That's what I thought.

> As in,
> Don't mess with my 'tout-tout'. Only my boyfriend can do that. There are
> plenty of other girls with 'tout-touts' for you to play with.

Exactly. Besides, if I messed with your "tout-tout", my wife would
kill me.

--
Derek

"A real star, the kind who haunts my memory night and day is the U.S.
soldier in Baghdad who saw a little girl playing with a piece of
unexploded ordinance . . . He pushed her aside and threw himself on it
just as it exploded." - Ben Stein
Tea

"Mydnight" > wrote in message

> >Well, I'm thinking more along the lines of...
> >
> >"Hey! This guys mine," said the admiral to the rest of the fleet. "You
> >guys have to find your own Ensign Pulvers."

> ?
>
> This guy is mine or these guys are mine? It sounds singular but with
> an 's' at the end.

Oops! I made an error. 'This guy's mine', is what it should say.

> What about something like: The two brothers stood at attention at
> their debriefing; the Ensign Pulvers had done their duty for their
> country.
>
> summat?
>

> Mydnight
>
> --------------------
> thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades

of an endless night.

Derek

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:27:47 GMT, Tea wrote:

> "Mydnight" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Well, I'm thinking more along the lines of...
>>>
>>>"Hey! This guys mine," said the admiral to the rest of the fleet. "You
>>>guys have to find your own Ensign Pulvers."

>> ?
>>
>> This guy is mine or these guys are mine? It sounds singular but with
>> an 's' at the end.

> Oops! I made an error. 'This guy's mine', is what it should say.

Two errors. The mistake Mydnight was correcting was, actually, mine.

--
Derek

SAM: Teal'c, how do Jaffa couples handle their problems?
TEAL'C: On Chulak, a dispute between a man and a woman that cannot
be resolved necessitates a pledge break. It must be requested
by one and granted by the other.
DANIEL: And if that doesn't work?
TEAL'C: A weapon is required.

(Stargate-SG1, "Affinity")
Derek

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:27:47 GMT, Tea wrote:

> "Mydnight" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Well, I'm thinking more along the lines of...
>>>
>>>"Hey! This guys mine," said the admiral to the rest of the fleet. "You
>>>guys have to find your own Ensign Pulvers."

>> ?
>>
>> This guy is mine or these guys are mine? It sounds singular but with
>> an 's' at the end.

> Oops! I made an error. 'This guy's mine', is what it should say.

Two errors. The mistake Mydnight was correcting was, actually, mine.

--
Derek

SAM: Teal'c, how do Jaffa couples handle their problems?
TEAL'C: On Chulak, a dispute between a man and a woman that cannot
be resolved necessitates a pledge break. It must be requested
by one and granted by the other.
DANIEL: And if that doesn't work?
TEAL'C: A weapon is required.

(Stargate-SG1, "Affinity")
Tea

ARGH!

"Derek" > wrote in message ...

> >> ?
> >>
> >> This guy is mine or these guys are mine? It sounds singular but with
> >> an 's' at the end.

> > Oops! I made an error. 'This guy's mine', is what it should say.

> Two errors. The mistake Mydnight was correcting was, actually, mine.
>
> --
> Derek
>
> SAM: Teal'c, how do Jaffa couples handle their problems?
> TEAL'C: On Chulak, a dispute between a man and a woman that cannot
> be resolved necessitates a pledge break. It must be requested
> by one and granted by the other.
> DANIEL: And if that doesn't work?
> TEAL'C: A weapon is required.
>
> (Stargate-SG1, "Affinity")

Tea

ARGH!

I didn't know sf[_9_] General Cooking 6 15-09-2012 01:20 AM
Didn't there used to be... Morebella Morbid General Cooking 21 07-06-2010 02:08 AM
I didn't know this. phaeton General Cooking 12 12-12-2009 10:21 PM
Why didn't I think of this? Zz Yzx Barbecue 9 14-10-2008 05:05 PM
"didn't know" sf General Cooking 11 04-09-2005 04:04 AM