Michael Plant

12/8/04

> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:40:39 GMT, Michael Plant wrote:
>
>> Lewis
12/7/04

>>> You know there's more than one kind of eggplant, too, right? By the
>>> way, in my opinion, eggplant, unlike most vegetables, is nearly
>>> inedible unless cooked until it's mushy. I hope your wife's got that
>>> covered.

>> Eggplant is delicious. I love eggplant. You can leach out the tanins with
>> salt. What's wrong with you people. Derek, eggplant everyday until you
>> change your mind. Reminds me of fresh meadow grasses. (Your eggplants need
>> to be grown on the steppes in proximity of fine Siberian horses.

> Blech. I'm past 30, and I've yet to find a recipe for eggplant that I
> like. Brussel Sprouts, on the other hand, aren't half bad.

NOT HALF BAD???? Brussel Sprouts are the
*only* veggie more delicious than eggplant.

>> I'm nursing a horrendous cold with Guangxi green tea today. Ugh.

> Sorry to hear that. Stay warm and comfortable.

I'll try. Thanks.

Michael

Derek

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:58:05 GMT, Michael Plant wrote:

> 12/8/04
>
>> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:40:39 GMT, Michael Plant wrote:
>>
>>> Lewis
12/7/04

>>> Eggplant is delicious. I love eggplant. You can leach out the tanins with
>>> salt. What's wrong with you people. Derek, eggplant everyday until you
>>> change your mind. Reminds me of fresh meadow grasses. (Your eggplants need
>>> to be grown on the steppes in proximity of fine Siberian horses.

>> Blech. I'm past 30, and I've yet to find a recipe for eggplant that I
>> like. Brussel Sprouts, on the other hand, aren't half bad.

> NOT HALF BAD???? Brussel Sprouts are the
> *only* veggie more delicious than eggplant.

Maybe...if you've lost your taste buds in a horrible eating accident.

I can think of several vegetables that are more delicious than
eggplant or Burssel Sprouts. Sweet Potatoes, for example, make
wonderful mashed potatoes, pie or even waffles.

I wouldn't get within 5 miles of an eggplant waffle. Yech.

--
Derek

"If you're at a urinal, and the Senate Majority Leader steps up to the
urinal next to you, make sure you stop peeing before turning to shake
his hand." -- Max Weinberg
Rick Chappell

That was the point behind the "... as horse **** smells" qualification.

> **** smell. Having been around horses quite a lot during my Siberian geology
> years I can tell you one thing - there are probably few substances in the
> world that smell that diversified. And mainly dependant on the animal's
> diet. None of which (the smells), I dare to say, are disgusting.

Back in my Texas geology days, our fantasies were mostly aimed at beer.

> For your virtual collection of smells I will testify that a Cossack horse
> that grazed upon fresh mountain grass on alpine meadows around Hangar
> volcano on my beloved Kamchatka Peninsula leave a smell of its urine that is
> unmistakably strong smell of a freshly cut just baked rye bread. So much so,
> that the gentlemen who accompany these horses on their hard journeys across
> the mountains for months, as I did, would stop their monotonous and
> exhausting walk, lift their heads and inhale that smell with joy and hope of

I'm afraid I find that recollection profoundly disturbing, Sasha. I will
stop and savor the smells of cedars, Chinese restaurants, leather shops,
wildflowers, and pine needles but tend to pass by urine without stopping
(although my dog seems to share your interest). And tell me, what are
Cossacks doing in Kamchatka anyway? Or is it just their horses?

RC>> Or is it "as"? Will any of you non-native English speakers, who seem to
RC>> be the only ones who know the rules of grammar these days, correct me if
RC>> necessary?

> 2. Your passage about non-native English speakers is a bit alarming. Have we
> been that annoying in our misuse of the language of Shakespeare and Chaucer
> so that you felt compelled to hint us of our shortcomings?

The reverse. Americans seem to be the ones with pronoun-ced deficiencies in
knowledge of parts of speech.

Everyone whose pu-erh has equinouric notes, send them to Sasha! Especially
if they're of the Cossack variety.

Best,

Rick.

Space Cowboy

If it rolls off the table it's not a toucha. A real toucha can only
wobble. No fair splicing two together and claiming it is a toucha
baseball. What happens to that missing center? Is there a Chinese
version of the street shell game?

Jim

Lewis Perin wrote:
> Patrick Heinze > writes:
>
> > [...]
> >
> > Ater I read so much about Pu Erh in this NG I decided to give it a

2nd
> > try. I just stumbled over it, not in a teashop though, but in a

local
> > imported goods shop. I got a kind of pressed 'teaball', about 1,5

cm
> > in diameter...well...not really a ball, but pressed and small,

though
> > ^-^
> > Anyone knows what this is? Is that one of the 'cakes' read aout?

> No, cakes (bingcha/beengcha/beencha) are more or less flat discs,
> though they're much thicker than e.g. a DVD. What you have is a
> tuancha.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Mydnight

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:02:03 GMT, "Robert Wright"
> wrote:

>"Mydnight" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>Now, someone responded while quoting just "Ensign Pulver" and making
>>>it plural. That is, "Ensign Pulver"s.
>>>
>>>This does not look correct to me. So, what is the proper way to make a
>>>singular quotation into a plural?
>>>
>>>Heh. You're the one who admitted to the English education.

>> Using the apostrophe doesn't make it plural, it denotes possession.
>> The pluralized form of it would be Ensign Pulvers', but I don't think
>> you can pluralize a person. heh.
>>

>I thought the plural would be 'Ensigns Pulver'. No?

beats me, I give up. heh.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

Derek

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 18:13:16 GMT, Mydnight wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:02:03 GMT, "Robert Wright"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Mydnight" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Using the apostrophe doesn't make it plural, it denotes possession.
>>> The pluralized form of it would be Ensign Pulvers', but I don't think
>>> you can pluralize a person. heh.
>>>

>>I thought the plural would be 'Ensigns Pulver'. No?

> beats me, I give up. heh.

Not that I'm obsessing about this, but...

It depends on the context. If one is talking about multiple ensigns
named Pulver, then it would be "Ensigns Pulver". If one is talking
about multiple people serving the role of the specific Ensign Pulver,
then it would be Ensign Pulvers.

It all comes down to which word is the noun, and which word is serving
as an adjective.

--
Derek

When birds fly in the right formation, they need only exert half the
effort. Even in nature, teamwork results in collective laziness.
Mydnight

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 13:10:33 -0600, Derek > wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 18:13:16 GMT, Mydnight wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:02:03 GMT, "Robert Wright"
>> > wrote:

>>>I thought the plural would be 'Ensigns Pulver'. No?

>> beats me, I give up. heh.

>Not that I'm obsessing about this, but...
>
>It depends on the context. If one is talking about multiple ensigns
>named Pulver, then it would be "Ensigns Pulver". If one is talking
>about multiple people serving the role of the specific Ensign Pulver,
>then it would be Ensign Pulvers.
>
>It all comes down to which word is the noun, and which word is serving
>as an adjective.

Ya, you are right. I was just thinking it wouldn't work because I
didn't think there could be one of the same person unless that
particular Ensign was cloned or something. heh.

If you had more than one Ensign of the the same name, you're right.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Derek

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 19:18:08 GMT, Mydnight wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 13:10:33 -0600, Derek > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 18:13:16 GMT, Mydnight wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:02:03 GMT, "Robert Wright"

m...

>>> beats me, I give up. heh.

>>Not that I'm obsessing about this, but...
>>
>>It depends on the context. If one is talking about multiple ensigns
>>named Pulver, then it would be "Ensigns Pulver". If one is talking
>>about multiple people serving the role of the specific Ensign Pulver,
>>then it would be Ensign Pulvers.
>>
>>It all comes down to which word is the noun, and which word is serving
>>as an adjective.

> Ya, you are right. I was just thinking it wouldn't work because I
> didn't think there could be one of the same person unless that
> particular Ensign was cloned or something. heh.

Well, I'm thinking more along the lines of...

"Hey! This guys mine," said the admiral to the rest of the fleet. "You
guys have to find your own Ensign Pulvers."

--
Derek

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of
destruction.
Mydnight

>Well, I'm thinking more along the lines of...
>
>"Hey! This guys mine," said the admiral to the rest of the fleet. "You
>guys have to find your own Ensign Pulvers."

?

This guy is mine or these guys are mine? It sounds singular but with
an 's' at the end.

What about something like: The two brothers stood at attention at
their debriefing; the Ensign Pulvers had done their duty for their
country.

summat?

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Derek

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 20:23:56 GMT, Mydnight wrote:

>>Well, I'm thinking more along the lines of...
>>
>>"Hey! This guys mine," said the admiral to the rest of the fleet. "You
>>guys have to find your own Ensign Pulvers."

> ?
>
> This guy is mine or these guys are mine? It sounds singular but with
> an 's' at the end.

Sorry. There's a missing apostrophe. "This guy's mine."

> What about something like: The two brothers stood at attention at
> their debriefing; the Ensign Pulvers had done their duty for their
> country.
>
> summat?

Well, are we focusing on the fact that they're Ensigns or the fact
that they're Pulvers?

--
Derek

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships
is you.

Mydnight

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 14:40:23 -0600, Derek > wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 20:23:56 GMT, Mydnight wrote:
>
>>>Well, I'm thinking more along the lines of...
>>>
>>>"Hey! This guys mine," said the admiral to the rest of the fleet. "You
>>>guys have to find your own Ensign Pulvers."

>> ?
>>
>> This guy is mine or these guys are mine? It sounds singular but with
>> an 's' at the end.

>Sorry. There's a missing apostrophe. "This guy's mine."
>
>> What about something like: The two brothers stood at attention at
>> their debriefing; the Ensign Pulvers had done their duty for their
>> country.
>>
>> summat?

>Well, are we focusing on the fact that they're Ensigns or the fact
>that they're Pulvers?

Don't rightly know. I was trying for Pulvers. heh.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Derek

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 20:42:04 GMT, Mydnight wrote:

>>> ?
>>>
>>> This guy is mine or these guys are mine? It sounds singular but with
>>> an 's' at the end.

>>Sorry. There's a missing apostrophe. "This guy's mine."
>>
>>> What about something like: The two brothers stood at attention at
>>> their debriefing; the Ensign Pulvers had done their duty for their
>>> country.
>>>
>>> summat?

>>Well, are we focusing on the fact that they're Ensigns or the fact
>>that they're Pulvers?

> Don't rightly know. I was trying for Pulvers. heh.

At this point, I say we forget about the Pulvers and go to Culver's
for some nice frozen custard.

--
Derek

On the sixth day, God created the platypus. And God said, "Let's see
the evolutionists try and figure this one out."
Mydnight

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 14:48:19 -0600, Derek > wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 20:42:04 GMT, Mydnight wrote:

>>>Sorry. There's a missing apostrophe. "This guy's mine."

>>>Well, are we focusing on the fact that they're Ensigns or the fact
>>>that they're Pulvers?

>> Don't rightly know. I was trying for Pulvers. heh.

>At this point, I say we forget about the Pulvers and go to Culver's
>for some nice frozen custard.

I'll treat!

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Joseph Kubera

Derek wrote:

like.

What about ratatouille? Being a stew, that disguises it pretty well.

Joe K
Derek

On 08 Dec 2004 22:25:38 GMT, Joseph Kubera wrote:

> like.
>
> What about ratatouille? Being a stew, that disguises it pretty well.
>
> Joe K

IMHO, it just takes everything else down a notch.

--
Derek

The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut by the lawn mower.

Alex Chaihorsky

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 21:43:15 GMT, Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
>
>> Rich, dear friend -
>>
>> 1. I never drunk any horse ****, so can't help you here. Now, about horse
>> **** smell. Having been around horses quite a lot during my Siberian
>> geology
>> years I can tell you one thing - there are probably few substances in the
>> world that smell that diversified. And mainly dependant on the animal's
>> diet. None of which (the smells), I dare to say, are disgusting.

> Now I know your senses are screwy.

Derek -

I understand about barns. But there is enormous difference between dealing
with horses in the open mountains and barns. The smells of horses kept in
barns (or other animals) are nauseating for me. I also have another two
examples - tanks and people. The smell of the tank inside the tank garage is
awful - diesel plus hot oil plus old smell of burned powder... But one
cannot even start imagining how the tank smells right after maneuvers. Fresh
grass, tree sap, mixes with diesel and other mechanical odors in a magical
way. You just cannot have enough of it. And I know I may sound ridiculous to
someone without this experience but those guys who did smell the artillery
powder after freshly fired round know - its one of the most invigorating and
exciting smells in the world. It works like a high for the tanks crew. You
drink it like wine.

During my long geological field seasons in Siberia, we would almost never
stay in one tent camp for more than a day or two and since summer temps in
mountains are just above 40 F (below freezing at nights) we rarely had
opportunities to bathe properly. However never did we suffer from the bad
body odors (and that is despite sleeping in tents and using horse saddle as
a pillow). But as soon as we came back to civilization and there would be an
interruption in hot water in hotels - it all came back. And that was not due
to any smell loss during our trips in the mountains - actually the opposite
happen - after a month in the mountains we would smell the odor of the fuel
of the helicopter that overflew our path on 5-6 thousand feet coupe of hours
ago.. Also for several days after the return to the civilization the smell
of cars on the streets would be literally unbearable. But that only happened
when I worked in very distant corners of Siberia - where the nearest hamlet
would be several hundred miles away.

Sasha.

Alex Chaihorsky

"Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> Ah, the subtlety of horse ****. And you heard it here first. Beautiful
> description, Sasha.
>
> As for language, it grows and changes on the mistakes listeners and
> speakers
> make. Language is dynamic. So, whatever mistakes non-native speakers make
> contribute to the beauty and poetry of the language, they don't detract
> from
> it. I have spoken.
>
> Michael

I guess its a price the speakers of international languages pay for being
understood almost anywhere on the planet.
And I agree with you - "Long time, no see" and "Forget about it" are strong,
fresh and spicy. One of my biggest surprises here was the popularity and
even sexiness of accents. Interestingly enough, some cultures (including
mine) are very sensitive in that corner - if you are a educated native
speaker and you made one small mistake on emphasis in Russian and you will
forever have a reputation of a backwoodsman and a boor.

Sasha.

Alex Chaihorsky

"Rick Chappell" > wrote in message
> Alex Chaihorsky > wrote:
>
>> For your virtual collection of smells I will testify that a Cossack horse
>> that grazed upon fresh mountain grass on alpine meadows around Hangar
>> volcano on my beloved Kamchatka Peninsula leave a smell of its urine that
>> is
>> unmistakably strong smell of a freshly cut just baked rye bread. So much
>> so,
>> that the gentlemen who accompany these horses on their hard journeys
>> across
>> the mountains for months, as I did, would stop their monotonous and
>> exhausting walk, lift their heads and inhale that smell with joy and hope
>> of

> I'm afraid I find that recollection profoundly disturbing, Sasha. I will
> stop and savor the smells of cedars, Chinese restaurants, leather shops,
> wildflowers, and pine needles but tend to pass by urine without stopping
> (although my dog seems to share your interest). And tell me, what are
> Cossacks doing in Kamchatka anyway? Or is it just their horses?

Rich -

Come back to me on this subject after a week spent with ranch horses in the
Rockies.

Cossack horses are very popular in Siberia (and, BTW were sold by thousands
to the western US during 19 century). They are very sturdy, strong and fast.
Mongols are sturdier, heavy Europeans are stronger and Arabs are faster, but
Cossack is a very good compromise, making it ideal both for military and
expedition use in mountainous areas. You can keep it outside in winter for
weeks and the horse knows how to get grass from below the packed snow. It is
also quite calm so it does not panic on mountain trails when slope moves,
which freaks out any European or Arab and they usually try to gallop out of
trouble, fall and die. I love Cossacks Mongols and Tuvim. But among the
three, Cossacks are the most versatile.

Sasha.

Derek

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 23:01:58 GMT, Alex Chaihorsky wrote:

> "Michael Plant" > wrote in message
>> Ah, the subtlety of horse ****. And you heard it here first. Beautiful
>> description, Sasha.
>>
>> As for language, it grows and changes on the mistakes listeners and
>> speakers
>> make. Language is dynamic. So, whatever mistakes non-native speakers make
>> contribute to the beauty and poetry of the language, they don't detract
>> from
>> it. I have spoken.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> I guess its a price the speakers of international languages pay for being
> understood almost anywhere on the planet.
> And I agree with you - "Long time, no see" and "Forget about it" are strong,
> fresh and spicy. One of my biggest surprises here was the popularity and
> even sexiness of accents. Interestingly enough, some cultures (including
> mine) are very sensitive in that corner - if you are a educated native
> speaker and you made one small mistake on emphasis in Russian and you will
> forever have a reputation of a backwoodsman and a boor.
>
> Sasha.

The greatest compliment I received when I was studying in Russia was
when my host family informed me, just before I returned to the states,
that I sounded like a native.

Shame that I never used the language much after that and am now
practically non-conversant. I really ought to remedy that.

Besides, if learning new things is good for the brain, relearning them
can't be bad for you either.
--
Derek

"If I couldn't laugh, I couldn't stand this job for 15 minutes." --
President Abraham Lincoln
Alex Chaihorsky

> The greatest compliment I received when I was studying in Russia was
> when my host family informed me, just before I returned to the states,
> that I sounded like a native.
>
> Shame that I never used the language much after that and am now
> practically non-conversant. I really ought to remedy that.
>
> Besides, if learning new things is good for the brain, relearning them
> can't be bad for you either.
> --
> Derek

Two words - "Russian girlfriend".
And another three words if you want to stay sane "But not Jewish".

Sasha.

Derek

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 22:48:27 GMT, Alex Chaihorsky wrote:

> I understand about barns. But there is enormous difference between dealing
> with horses in the open mountains and barns. The smells of horses kept in
> barns (or other animals) are nauseating for me.

And yet, the veterinarian who stopped by periodically to see if our
mares where in foal loved the smell of the barn, as did the farm
manager.

I grew to enjoy the smell of the shedrow. But the original comparison
was to the aftertaste I experienced several hours AFTER leaving work.
This is not something one experiences when you don't have to clean up
after your mount.

And I'm envious of your experience.

--
Derek

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a
warning to others.
Bluesea

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:40:39 GMT, Michael Plant wrote:
>
> Blech. I'm past 30, and I've yet to find a recipe for eggplant that I
> like. Brussel Sprouts, on the other hand, aren't half bad.

Have you tried eggplant parmigiana like at the Olive Garden restaurant? I
enjoy it that way, but not otherwise. In the frozen dinner section, look for
Michael Angelo's Eggplant Parmesan. I like that one, too, and now usually
keep one in my freezer.

I also like Brussels Sprouts with butter or margarine and parmesan cheese.

HTH.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Steve Hay

Mydnight wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 13:10:33 -0600, Derek > wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 18:13:16 GMT, Mydnight wrote:

m...

>>>beats me, I give up. heh.

>>Not that I'm obsessing about this, but...
>>
>>It depends on the context. If one is talking about multiple ensigns
>>named Pulver, then it would be "Ensigns Pulver". If one is talking
>>about multiple people serving the role of the specific Ensign Pulver,
>>then it would be Ensign Pulvers.
>>
>>It all comes down to which word is the noun, and which word is serving
>>as an adjective.

> Ya, you are right. I was just thinking it wouldn't work because I
> didn't think there could be one of the same person unless that
> particular Ensign was cloned or something. heh.
>
> If you had more than one Ensign of the the same name, you're right.

Ever read Kiln People?

> Mydnight
>
> --------------------
> thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

Derek

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 10:32:02 GMT, Bluesea wrote:

> "Derek" > wrote in message ...
>> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:40:39 GMT, Michael Plant wrote:
>>
>> Blech. I'm past 30, and I've yet to find a recipe for eggplant that I
>> like. Brussel Sprouts, on the other hand, aren't half bad.

> Have you tried eggplant parmigiana like at the Olive Garden restaurant? I
> enjoy it that way, but not otherwise. In the frozen dinner section, look for
> Michael Angelo's Eggplant Parmesan. I like that one, too, and now usually
> keep one in my freezer.

Yes, I've tried eggplant parmigiana. No, I don't like it.

> I also like Brussels Sprouts with butter or margarine and parmesan cheese.
>
> HTH.

mmmmmmm. butter and paremsan....
--
Derek

In the battle between you and the world, bet on the world.
Tea

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On 07 Dec 2004 18:29:47 -0500, Lewis Perin wrote:
>
> > Derek > writes:
> >
> >> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 19:46:20 GMT, Mydnight wrote:
> >>

> Yes, I'm aware that there's more than one kind. I've tried many, liked
> none.
>
> The point being, not everybody is going to like the same things.
>
> --
> Derek

I can relate- I happen to dislike strawberries, pears and peaches. Why
people feel sorry for me when there re so many other good things in the
world that I do like, I don't know.

Tea

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On 07 Dec 2004 18:29:47 -0500, Lewis Perin wrote:
>
> > Derek > writes:
> >
> >> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 19:46:20 GMT, Mydnight wrote:
> >>

> Yes, I'm aware that there's more than one kind. I've tried many, liked
> none.
>
> The point being, not everybody is going to like the same things.
>
> --
> Derek

I can relate- I happen to dislike strawberries, pears and peaches. Why
people feel sorry for me when there re so many other good things in the
world that I do like, I don't know.

crymad

Derek wrote:

> Yes, I've tried eggplant parmigiana. No, I don't like it.

Asian eggplant, the slender ones? They're less bitter and mushy
than the bulbous western types. Look into Ma-Po Tofu, but with
eggplant replacing tofu.

--crymad
crymad

Derek wrote:

> Yes, I've tried eggplant parmigiana. No, I don't like it.

Asian eggplant, the slender ones? They're less bitter and mushy
than the bulbous western types. Look into Ma-Po Tofu, but with
eggplant replacing tofu.

--crymad
Space Cowboy

I always order eggplant on the menu. It's like liver and onions the
chef knows how you don't. Greek and Indian restaurants serve tasty
versions. You're not so past 30 you worry about your health. Eat more
greens like spinach,turnip,collard,mustard plus boiled okra and puerh
will taste like desert.

PS: Occasionally Walmart will have a thin slice baby beef liver that
will cook in a skillet in minutes without the edges drying and curling.
I think something like a buck for 12 oz.

Jim

Derek wrote:
....use google...
> Blech. I'm past 30, and I've yet to find a recipe for eggplant that I
> like.

Derek

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 06:22:55 -0800, crymad wrote:

> Derek wrote:
>>

>> Yes, I've tried eggplant parmigiana. No, I don't like it.

> Asian eggplant, the slender ones? They're less bitter and mushy
> than the bulbous western types. Look into Ma-Po Tofu, but with
> eggplant replacing tofu.

I'll stick with the tofu, thanks. Yes, I've tried Asian eggplant. No,
I don't like it either.

--
Derek

The harder you try, the dumber you look.

Derek

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 06:22:55 -0800, crymad wrote:

> Derek wrote:
>>

>> Yes, I've tried eggplant parmigiana. No, I don't like it.

> Asian eggplant, the slender ones? They're less bitter and mushy
> than the bulbous western types. Look into Ma-Po Tofu, but with
> eggplant replacing tofu.

I'll stick with the tofu, thanks. Yes, I've tried Asian eggplant. No,
I don't like it either.

--
Derek

The harder you try, the dumber you look.
Derek

On 9 Dec 2004 06:23:24 -0800, Space Cowboy wrote:

> I always order eggplant on the menu. It's like liver and onions the
> chef knows how you don't. Greek and Indian restaurants serve tasty
> versions. You're not so past 30 you worry about your health. Eat more
> greens like spinach,turnip,collard,mustard plus boiled okra and puerh
> will taste like desert.

Actually, I hate liver and onions as done in a restaurant. I'm always
disappointed. I prefer cooking it myself.

> PS: Occasionally Walmart will have a thin slice baby beef liver that
> will cook in a skillet in minutes without the edges drying and curling.
> I think something like a buck for 12 oz.

You must have one of those with the grocery store built in. I don't
think we have any of those around here.

--
Derek

"Life is anything that dies when you stomp on it. -- Dave Barry
Tea

Feel better, Derek!

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:58:05 GMT, Michael Plant wrote:

12/7/04

quality

by

with

need

> >> Blech. I'm past 30, and I've yet to find a recipe for eggplant that I
> >> like. Brussel Sprouts, on the other hand, aren't half bad.

> > NOT HALF BAD???? Brussel Sprouts are the
> > *only* veggie more delicious than eggplant.

> Maybe...if you've lost your taste buds in a horrible eating accident.
>
> I can think of several vegetables that are more delicious than
> eggplant or Burssel Sprouts. Sweet Potatoes, for example, make
> wonderful mashed potatoes, pie or even waffles.
>
> I wouldn't get within 5 miles of an eggplant waffle. Yech.

> >> Sorry to hear that. Stay warm and comfortable.

> > I'll try. Thanks.
> >
> > Michael
> >>

> --
> Derek
>
> "If you're at a urinal, and the Senate Majority Leader steps up to the
> urinal next to you, make sure you stop peeing before turning to shake
> his hand." -- Max Weinberg

Tea

Feel better, Derek!

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:58:05 GMT, Michael Plant wrote:

12/7/04

quality

by

with

need

> >> Blech. I'm past 30, and I've yet to find a recipe for eggplant that I
> >> like. Brussel Sprouts, on the other hand, aren't half bad.

> > NOT HALF BAD???? Brussel Sprouts are the
> > *only* veggie more delicious than eggplant.

> Maybe...if you've lost your taste buds in a horrible eating accident.
>
> I can think of several vegetables that are more delicious than
> eggplant or Burssel Sprouts. Sweet Potatoes, for example, make
> wonderful mashed potatoes, pie or even waffles.
>
> I wouldn't get within 5 miles of an eggplant waffle. Yech.

> >> Sorry to hear that. Stay warm and comfortable.

> > I'll try. Thanks.
> >
> > Michael
> >>

> --
> Derek
>
> "If you're at a urinal, and the Senate Majority Leader steps up to the
> urinal next to you, make sure you stop peeing before turning to shake
> his hand." -- Max Weinberg

Tea

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 22:48:27 GMT, Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
>
> > I understand about barns. But there is enormous difference between

dealing
> > with horses in the open mountains and barns. The smells of horses kept

in
> > barns (or other animals) are nauseating for me.

> And yet, the veterinarian who stopped by periodically to see if our
> mares where in foal loved the smell of the barn, as did the farm
> manager.
>
> I grew to enjoy the smell of the shedrow. But the original comparison
> was to the aftertaste I experienced several hours AFTER leaving work.
> This is not something one experiences when you don't have to clean up
> after your mount.
>
> And I'm envious of your experience.
>
> --
> Derek
>
> It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a
> warning to others.

I love the smell of barns- but then, I've never had to muck one out. That
might make a distinct difference.
Michele

Tea

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 22:48:27 GMT, Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
>
> > I understand about barns. But there is enormous difference between

dealing
> > with horses in the open mountains and barns. The smells of horses kept

in
> > barns (or other animals) are nauseating for me.

> And yet, the veterinarian who stopped by periodically to see if our
> mares where in foal loved the smell of the barn, as did the farm
> manager.
>
> I grew to enjoy the smell of the shedrow. But the original comparison
> was to the aftertaste I experienced several hours AFTER leaving work.
> This is not something one experiences when you don't have to clean up
> after your mount.
>
> And I'm envious of your experience.
>
> --
> Derek
>
> It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a
> warning to others.

I love the smell of barns- but then, I've never had to muck one out. That
might make a distinct difference.
Michele

Tea

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On 7 Dec 2004 18:19:02 -0800, Cathy Weeks wrote:
>
> > Now, I believe I just opened myself up to scrutiny, and I'm sure the
> > above passage is full of mistakes. Sigh...

> Nah, but I have a question...
>
> In the course of a discussion, I came across a phrase like the
> following:
>
> ... according to Ensign Pulver...
>
> Now, someone responded while quoting just "Ensign Pulver" and making
> it plural. That is, "Ensign Pulver"s.
>
> This does not look correct to me. So, what is the proper way to make a
> singular quotation into a plural?
>
> Heh. You're the one who admitted to the English education.
>
> --
> Derek
>
> Quitters never win. Winners never quit.
> But those who never win and never quit are idiots.

It would be "Ensign Pulver's" is it's to show ownership and "Ensign Pulvers"
to show pluralism.

I'm a former English teacher.
Michele

Tea

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On 7 Dec 2004 18:19:02 -0800, Cathy Weeks wrote:
>
> > Now, I believe I just opened myself up to scrutiny, and I'm sure the
> > above passage is full of mistakes. Sigh...

> Nah, but I have a question...
>
> In the course of a discussion, I came across a phrase like the
> following:
>
> ... according to Ensign Pulver...
>
> Now, someone responded while quoting just "Ensign Pulver" and making
> it plural. That is, "Ensign Pulver"s.
>
> This does not look correct to me. So, what is the proper way to make a
> singular quotation into a plural?
>
> Heh. You're the one who admitted to the English education.
>
> --
> Derek
>
> Quitters never win. Winners never quit.
> But those who never win and never quit are idiots.

It would be "Ensign Pulver's" is it's to show ownership and "Ensign Pulvers"
to show pluralism.

I'm a former English teacher.
Michele

Tea

"Robert Wright" > wrote in message
> "Mydnight" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Now, someone responded while quoting just "Ensign Pulver" and making
> >>it plural. That is, "Ensign Pulver"s.
> >>
> >>This does not look correct to me. So, what is the proper way to make a
> >>singular quotation into a plural?
> >>
> >>Heh. You're the one who admitted to the English education.

> > Using the apostrophe doesn't make it plural, it denotes possession.
> > The pluralized form of it would be Ensign Pulvers', but I don't think
> > you can pluralize a person. heh.
> >

> I thought the plural would be 'Ensigns Pulver'. No?

It would be "Ensigns Pulver and Johnson" if there are two ensigns. It would
be "Ensign Pulvers" if you were saying, "I don't want any more 'Ensign
Pulvers' around here', meaning, you didn't want any more of his type in the
vicinity.

Tea

I didn't know sf[_9_] General Cooking 6 15-09-2012 01:20 AM
Didn't there used to be... Morebella Morbid General Cooking 21 07-06-2010 02:08 AM
I didn't know this. phaeton General Cooking 12 12-12-2009 09:21 PM
Why didn't I think of this? Zz Yzx Barbecue 9 14-10-2008 05:05 PM
"didn't know" sf General Cooking 11 04-09-2005 04:04 AM