Mydnight

Default Pu'er and losing drunkenness...heh.

Some of my tea-friends and I went to the disco and had quite a bit to
drink one night...bai jiu and beer mostly. We were pretty much
intoxicated and then went back to the teashop to drink some pu'er. I
couldn't count the number of standard drinks we each had embibed, but
after about 45 minutes of drinking pu'er things seemed much more
clear. It seems to have had the effect that many of the older men in
the shop told me about: If you drink too much, pu'er can make you
less drunk.

There was another night similar to this with the same result. This
time, though, we went to the rooftop of one of my friend's flat and he
brought out some tea that he said was probably close to 60 years old.
I questioned him on it...but I think he is to be believed since he had
been working in the teashop since he was a small boy and this was part
of his uncle's stash.....we probably ran that tea through 30 pao
(brewings) and it still had a good, strong flavor to it. He gave me
some of it in a small bag the next day! heh.

Anybody else have any experiences such as this? The lessening of
alcohol's effect, i mean.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Cameron Lewis

I use green pu'erh for the morning after with good effect, but I've
never tried it the night of. I'll give it a shot next time

Cameron

Mydnight > wrote in message >. ..
> Some of my tea-friends and I went to the disco and had quite a bit to
> drink one night...bai jiu and beer mostly. We were pretty much
> intoxicated and then went back to the teashop to drink some pu'er. I
> couldn't count the number of standard drinks we each had embibed, but
> after about 45 minutes of drinking pu'er things seemed much more
> clear. It seems to have had the effect that many of the older men in
> the shop told me about: If you drink too much, pu'er can make you
> less drunk.
>
> There was another night similar to this with the same result. This
> time, though, we went to the rooftop of one of my friend's flat and he
> brought out some tea that he said was probably close to 60 years old.
> I questioned him on it...but I think he is to be believed since he had
> been working in the teashop since he was a small boy and this was part
> of his uncle's stash.....we probably ran that tea through 30 pao
> (brewings) and it still had a good, strong flavor to it. He gave me
> some of it in a small bag the next day! heh.
>
> Anybody else have any experiences such as this? The lessening of
> alcohol's effect, i mean.
>

> Mydnight
>
> --------------------
> thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

Cameron Lewis

Mydnight > wrote in message >. ..
> Some of my tea-friends and I went to the disco and had quite a bit to
> drink one night...bai jiu and beer mostly. We were pretty much
> intoxicated and then went back to the teashop to drink some pu'er. I
> couldn't count the number of standard drinks we each had embibed, but
> after about 45 minutes of drinking pu'er things seemed much more
> clear. It seems to have had the effect that many of the older men in
> the shop told me about: If you drink too much, pu'er can make you
> less drunk.
>
> There was another night similar to this with the same result. This
> time, though, we went to the rooftop of one of my friend's flat and he
> brought out some tea that he said was probably close to 60 years old.
> I questioned him on it...but I think he is to be believed since he had
> been working in the teashop since he was a small boy and this was part
> of his uncle's stash.....we probably ran that tea through 30 pao
> (brewings) and it still had a good, strong flavor to it. He gave me
> some of it in a small bag the next day! heh.
>
> Anybody else have any experiences such as this? The lessening of
> alcohol's effect, i mean.
>

> Mydnight
>
> --------------------
> thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

dw

Mydnight wrote:

> Some of my tea-friends and I went to the disco and had quite a bit to
> drink one night...bai jiu and beer mostly. We were pretty much
> intoxicated and then went back to the teashop to drink some pu'er. I
> couldn't count the number of standard drinks we each had embibed, but
> after about 45 minutes of drinking pu'er things seemed much more
> clear. It seems to have had the effect that many of the older men in
> the shop told me about: If you drink too much, pu'er can make you
> less drunk.
>

> Mydnight
>
> --------------------
> thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn
> shades of an endless night.

How much tea did you have? Drinking a lot of water will help reduce the
concentration/level of alcohol in the bloodstream more quickly; you'll
come down more quickly. It will also hydrate you, and make you feel
better the next morning.
TeaHub

One major effects of Pu-erh is to relief hangover. Mr. Zhao Xuemin of Qing
dynasty has recorded this in his famous book "Ben Cao Gang Mu Shi Yi".

www.teahub.com

TeaHub

One major effects of Pu-erh is to relief hangover. Mr. Zhao Xuemin of Qing
dynasty has recorded this in his famous book "Ben Cao Gang Mu Shi Yi".

www.teahub.com

RJP

"dw" > wrote:

> How much tea did you have? Drinking a lot of water will help reduce the
> concentration/level of alcohol in the bloodstream more quickly; you'll
> come down more quickly. It will also hydrate you, and make you feel
> better the next morning.

Hydration is, I believe, the key to any and all hangover "cures". I think the
effect of reducing the concentration of alcohol in the bloodstream is very
small. The caffeine in tea may help to make the imbiber feel a bit more alert.
But hydration is the key. You could just as well get that by drinking water
or lemonade or fruit juice. Other claims for hangover cures are, IMHO,
horse hockey.

--
Randy
(if replying by e-mail, remove SPAMFREE and DeLeTe from my address)

RJP

"dw" > wrote:

> How much tea did you have? Drinking a lot of water will help reduce the
> concentration/level of alcohol in the bloodstream more quickly; you'll
> come down more quickly. It will also hydrate you, and make you feel
> better the next morning.

Hydration is, I believe, the key to any and all hangover "cures". I think the
effect of reducing the concentration of alcohol in the bloodstream is very
small. The caffeine in tea may help to make the imbiber feel a bit more alert.
But hydration is the key. You could just as well get that by drinking water
or lemonade or fruit juice. Other claims for hangover cures are, IMHO,
horse hockey.

--
Randy
(if replying by e-mail, remove SPAMFREE and DeLeTe from my address)

RJP

"dw" > wrote:

> How much tea did you have? Drinking a lot of water will help reduce the
> concentration/level of alcohol in the bloodstream more quickly; you'll
> come down more quickly. It will also hydrate you, and make you feel
> better the next morning.

Hydration is, I believe, the key to any and all hangover "cures". I think the
effect of reducing the concentration of alcohol in the bloodstream is very
small. The caffeine in tea may help to make the imbiber feel a bit more alert.
But hydration is the key. You could just as well get that by drinking water
or lemonade or fruit juice. Other claims for hangover cures are, IMHO,
horse hockey.

--
Randy
(if replying by e-mail, remove SPAMFREE and DeLeTe from my address)

Steve Hay

I tend to agree. My friend was a Navy Corpsman and swore by getting an
IV of saline to cure a hangover. said he'd do it when he was out
drinking the night before a PRT, and he felt great almost immediately
afterward.

Steve

RJP wrote:
> Hydration is, I believe, the key to any and all hangover "cures". I think the
> effect of reducing the concentration of alcohol in the bloodstream is very
> small. The caffeine in tea may help to make the imbiber feel a bit more alert.
> But hydration is the key. You could just as well get that by drinking water
> or lemonade or fruit juice. Other claims for hangover cures are, IMHO,
> horse hockey.

Steve Hay

RJP wrote:
> Hydration is, I believe, the key to any and all hangover "cures". I think the
> effect of reducing the concentration of alcohol in the bloodstream is very
> small. The caffeine in tea may help to make the imbiber feel a bit more alert.
> But hydration is the key. You could just as well get that by drinking water
> or lemonade or fruit juice. Other claims for hangover cures are, IMHO,
> horse hockey.

Steve Hay

RJP wrote:
> Hydration is, I believe, the key to any and all hangover "cures". I think the
> effect of reducing the concentration of alcohol in the bloodstream is very
> small. The caffeine in tea may help to make the imbiber feel a bit more alert.
> But hydration is the key. You could just as well get that by drinking water
> or lemonade or fruit juice. Other claims for hangover cures are, IMHO,
> horse hockey.

Joseph Kubera

Hmmm, interesting. I know the importance of the hydration part, but had heard
that tea is not so great for hydration as it is a diurectic -- that plain water
is better. Maybe there's something about puerh?

Joe

Robert Wright

" Regular coffee and tea drinkers become accustomed to caffeine and lose
little, if any, fluid. In a study published in the October issue of the
Journal of the American College of Nutrition, researchers at the Center for
Human Nutrition in Omaha measured how different combinations of water,
coffee and caffeinated sodas affected the hydration status of 18 healthy
adults who drink caffeinated beverages routinely.
"We found no significant differences at all," says nutritionist Ann
Grandjean, the study's lead author. "The purpose of the study was to find
out if caffeine is dehydrating in healthy people who are drinking normal
amounts of it. It is not."

The same goes for tea, juice, milk and caffeinated sodas: One glass provides
about the same amount of hydrating fluid as a glass of water. The only
common drinks that produce a net loss of fluids are those containing
alcohol - and usually it takes more than one of those to cause noticeable
dehydration, doctors say. "

More at http://www.snopes.com/toxins/water.htm.

"Joseph Kubera" > wrote in message
> Hmmm, interesting. I know the importance of the hydration part, but had
> heard
> that tea is not so great for hydration as it is a diurectic -- that plain
> water
> is better. Maybe there's something about puerh?
>
> Joe

Robert Wright

" Regular coffee and tea drinkers become accustomed to caffeine and lose
little, if any, fluid. In a study published in the October issue of the
Journal of the American College of Nutrition, researchers at the Center for
Human Nutrition in Omaha measured how different combinations of water,
coffee and caffeinated sodas affected the hydration status of 18 healthy
adults who drink caffeinated beverages routinely.
"We found no significant differences at all," says nutritionist Ann
Grandjean, the study's lead author. "The purpose of the study was to find
out if caffeine is dehydrating in healthy people who are drinking normal
amounts of it. It is not."

The same goes for tea, juice, milk and caffeinated sodas: One glass provides
about the same amount of hydrating fluid as a glass of water. The only
common drinks that produce a net loss of fluids are those containing
alcohol - and usually it takes more than one of those to cause noticeable
dehydration, doctors say. "

More at http://www.snopes.com/toxins/water.htm.

"Joseph Kubera" > wrote in message
> Hmmm, interesting. I know the importance of the hydration part, but had
> heard
> that tea is not so great for hydration as it is a diurectic -- that plain
> water
> is better. Maybe there's something about puerh?
>
> Joe

Lewis Perin

Mydnight > writes:

> Some of my tea-friends and I went to the disco and had quite a bit to
> drink one night...bai jiu and beer mostly. We were pretty much
> intoxicated and then went back to the teashop to drink some pu'er. I
> couldn't count the number of standard drinks we each had embibed, but
> after about 45 minutes of drinking pu'er things seemed much more
> clear. It seems to have had the effect that many of the older men in
> the shop told me about: If you drink too much, pu'er can make you
> less drunk.

Reluctant as I am to doubt Puerh's powers, 45 minutes of not drinking
alcohol makes you less drunk, too.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Lewis Perin

Mydnight > writes:

> Some of my tea-friends and I went to the disco and had quite a bit to
> drink one night...bai jiu and beer mostly. We were pretty much
> intoxicated and then went back to the teashop to drink some pu'er. I
> couldn't count the number of standard drinks we each had embibed, but
> after about 45 minutes of drinking pu'er things seemed much more
> clear. It seems to have had the effect that many of the older men in
> the shop told me about: If you drink too much, pu'er can make you
> less drunk.

Reluctant as I am to doubt Puerh's powers, 45 minutes of not drinking
alcohol makes you less drunk, too.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Mydnight

I'll just reply here considering the many replies already and my being
lax. heh.

Yes, I thought of the water and the amount of time and everything, but
it seemed that the tea itself sped up the process. Maybe it was just
psychological due to everyone telling me that it was supposed to
happen that way. Although, they do serve it as one of the main teas
in discos and bars if you are set out to a night of drinking and then
request tea later. It's in their pop culture.

*shrugs* Tastes good, makes you feel good; good enough for me! heh.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Joseph Kubera

>From: "Robert Wright"

The same goes for tea, juice, milk and caffeinated sodas: One glass provides
>about the same amount of hydrating fluid as a glass of water. The only
>common drinks that produce a net loss of fluids are those containing
>alcohol - and usually it takes more than one of those to cause noticeable
>dehydration, doctors say. "
>
>" Regular coffee and tea drinkers become accustomed to caffeine and lose
>little, if any, fluid. >
>
>More at http://www.snopes.com/toxins/water.htm.

Thanks.

But I still pee far more under the influence of tea than of water. And I"m one
of those "regular drinkers." Maybe it's just me.

Who knew the subject of hydration with tea was so much a part of the popular
culture as to qualify as an Urban Myth?

Joe

Cameron Lewis

That really depends on what you're drinking. High proof alcohols tend
to be absorbed quite slowly and can continue to be absorbed and
metabolized for hours after you stop drinking. Wine and beer seem to
act much more quickly. New Scientist did an interesting article on
this effect a year or so ago.

Cheers,

Cameron Lewis

-Drinking Highland Park 18yr

> Reluctant as I am to doubt Puerh's powers, 45 minutes of not drinking
> alcohol makes you less drunk, too.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Mydnight

>That really depends on what you're drinking. High proof alcohols tend
>to be absorbed quite slowly and can continue to be absorbed and
>metabolized for hours after you stop drinking. Wine and beer seem to
>act much more quickly. New Scientist did an interesting article on
>this effect a year or so ago.

And, we happened to be drinking the filthiest of all the booze in
China; baijiu (white wine). It has nothing to do whatsoever with
saki, the sweet version of rice wine, but this stuff tastes like a
cross between listerine and the smell of paint thinner. I think it
was like 60 percent proof, or something.

Supposed we were drinking the best brand, mai...something. You guys
that spent time in China familiar with this at all?

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Apprentice

Kweichow Moutai ?
About US $50 a bottle ?

"Mydnight" > wrote in message
> >That really depends on what you're drinking. High proof alcohols tend
> >to be absorbed quite slowly and can continue to be absorbed and
> >metabolized for hours after you stop drinking. Wine and beer seem to
> >act much more quickly. New Scientist did an interesting article on
> >this effect a year or so ago.

> And, we happened to be drinking the filthiest of all the booze in
> China; baijiu (white wine). It has nothing to do whatsoever with
> saki, the sweet version of rice wine, but this stuff tastes like a
> cross between listerine and the smell of paint thinner. I think it
> was like 60 percent proof, or something.
>
> Supposed we were drinking the best brand, mai...something. You guys
> that spent time in China familiar with this at all?
>

> Mydnight
>
> --------------------
> thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades

of an endless night.

Apprentice

Kweichow Moutai ?
About US $50 a bottle ?

"Mydnight" > wrote in message
> >That really depends on what you're drinking. High proof alcohols tend
> >to be absorbed quite slowly and can continue to be absorbed and
> >metabolized for hours after you stop drinking. Wine and beer seem to
> >act much more quickly. New Scientist did an interesting article on
> >this effect a year or so ago.

> And, we happened to be drinking the filthiest of all the booze in
> China; baijiu (white wine). It has nothing to do whatsoever with
> saki, the sweet version of rice wine, but this stuff tastes like a
> cross between listerine and the smell of paint thinner. I think it
> was like 60 percent proof, or something.
>
> Supposed we were drinking the best brand, mai...something. You guys
> that spent time in China familiar with this at all?
>

> Mydnight
>
> --------------------
> thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades

of an endless night.

Mydnight

Maybe. I just know it was very expensive. They were trying to do the
whole 'impress the foreigners' thing.

>Kweichow Moutai ?
>About US $50 a bottle ?
>
>"Mydnight" > wrote in message
.. .
>> >That really depends on what you're drinking. High proof alcohols tend
>> >to be absorbed quite slowly and can continue to be absorbed and
>> >metabolized for hours after you stop drinking. Wine and beer seem to
>> >act much more quickly. New Scientist did an interesting article on
>> >this effect a year or so ago.

>> And, we happened to be drinking the filthiest of all the booze in
>> China; baijiu (white wine). It has nothing to do whatsoever with
>> saki, the sweet version of rice wine, but this stuff tastes like a
>> cross between listerine and the smell of paint thinner. I think it
>> was like 60 percent proof, or something.
>>
>> Supposed we were drinking the best brand, mai...something. You guys
>> that spent time in China familiar with this at all?
>>

>> Mydnight
>>
>> --------------------
>> thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades

>of an endless night.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

Mydnight

Maybe. I just know it was very expensive. They were trying to do the
whole 'impress the foreigners' thing.

>Kweichow Moutai ?
>About US $50 a bottle ?
>
>"Mydnight" > wrote in message
.. .
>> >That really depends on what you're drinking. High proof alcohols tend
>> >to be absorbed quite slowly and can continue to be absorbed and
>> >metabolized for hours after you stop drinking. Wine and beer seem to
>> >act much more quickly. New Scientist did an interesting article on
>> >this effect a year or so ago.

>> And, we happened to be drinking the filthiest of all the booze in
>> China; baijiu (white wine). It has nothing to do whatsoever with
>> saki, the sweet version of rice wine, but this stuff tastes like a
>> cross between listerine and the smell of paint thinner. I think it
>> was like 60 percent proof, or something.
>>
>> Supposed we were drinking the best brand, mai...something. You guys
>> that spent time in China familiar with this at all?
>>

>> Mydnight
>>
>> --------------------
>> thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades

>of an endless night.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Mydnight

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 07:50:47 -0600, "Apprentice"
> wrote:

>Kweichow Moutai ?
>About US $50 a bottle ?

Just asked. Yes it was.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
WadeM

I think that there's more to your hypothesis than just a matter of hydration
or time. A friend and I have developed a habit of drinking alcohol until
that stage where you're feeling good, but if you drink any more, you know
you'll be sick. At this point we make some really concentrated green tea
(i.e. 1-2 tbsp with 1/2 cup of water). We both believe that the tea sharpens
our thinking up and makes for a more enjoyable experience. Also absent is
any sign of a hangover.

HTH,
Wade

"Mydnight" > wrote in message
> I'll just reply here considering the many replies already and my being
> lax. heh.
>
> Yes, I thought of the water and the amount of time and everything, but
> it seemed that the tea itself sped up the process. Maybe it was just
> psychological due to everyone telling me that it was supposed to
> happen that way. Although, they do serve it as one of the main teas
> in discos and bars if you are set out to a night of drinking and then
> request tea later. It's in their pop culture.
>
> *shrugs* Tastes good, makes you feel good; good enough for me! heh.
>

> Mydnight
>
> --------------------
> thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades

of an endless night.

Rick Chappell

Mydnight > wrote:
>>Kweichow Moutai ?
>>About US $50 a bottle ?

Ooh, moutai. Put's hair on your chest (inside and out).
Tastes like good moonshine to me.

Rick.
Rick Chappell

Mydnight > wrote:
>>Kweichow Moutai ?
>>About US $50 a bottle ?

Ooh, moutai. Put's hair on your chest (inside and out).
Tastes like good moonshine to me.

Rick.

Space Cowboy

This raised a guestion. I can go into ethnic markets and find
anything but booze. I know it is well regulated. Has anyone seen
legit ethnic liquor stores?

Jim

Rick Chappell > wrote in message >...
> Mydnight > wrote:
> >>Kweichow Moutai ?
> >>About US $50 a bottle ?

> Ooh, moutai. Put's hair on your chest (inside and out).
> Tastes like good moonshine to me.
>
> Rick.

Space Cowboy

This raised a guestion. I can go into ethnic markets and find
anything but booze. I know it is well regulated. Has anyone seen
legit ethnic liquor stores?

Jim

Rick Chappell > wrote in message >...
> Mydnight > wrote:
> >>Kweichow Moutai ?
> >>About US $50 a bottle ?

> Ooh, moutai. Put's hair on your chest (inside and out).
> Tastes like good moonshine to me.
>
> Rick.

Melinda

All I find in my local stores is saki and Korean eqivalents. Sure wish I
could find some sorghum wine because you know...

If you drink our wine,
You'll breathe well and you won't cough;
If you drink our wine,
You'll be well and your mouth won't smell bad.
If you drink our wine,
You won't kow-tow to the emperor.

From the film Red Sorghum, 1987, Dir. Zhang Yimou

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
m...
> This raised a guestion. I can go into ethnic markets and find
> anything but booze. I know it is well regulated. Has anyone seen
> legit ethnic liquor stores?
>
> Jim
>
> Rick Chappell > wrote in message

>> Ooh, moutai. Put's hair on your chest (inside and out).
>> Tastes like good moonshine to me.
>>
>> Rick.

Joseph Kubera

>This raised a guestion. I can go into ethnic markets and find
>anything but booze. I know it is well regulated. Has anyone seen
>legit ethnic liquor stores?

Don't know what the liquor regs are in your state, but in NY City only liquor
stores may sell wine and spirits. In those liquor stores in Chinatown, you can
find Chinese liquors. Japanese sake and plum wine can be found almost
anywhere.

Haven't had a Chinese one in years. Pretty herbal drink it was, too -- on the
order (very broadly) of our Benedictine or some digestive, but of course using
earthy Chinese herbs.

Joe
Joseph Kubera

Drunkenness ViLco General Cooking 0 06-03-2013 03:07 PM
Am I losing it? notbob General Cooking 24 06-05-2012 03:46 AM
Losing my sour. Peter Kolstad Sourdough 6 20-01-2008 10:06 AM
Are we losing the art of cooking? Donald Martinich General Cooking 101 24-03-2006 01:40 PM