Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Can anyone identify this?

What is this?

http://www.panix.com/~kludge/tea_3.jpg

The first character is clearly "gold" jin. But the other three I can't
figure out. Boxwood?

What am I drinking? It's some sort of light oolong.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

(Scott Dorsey) writes:

>What is this?

http://www.panix.com/~kludge/tea_3.jpg

>The first character is clearly "gold" jin. But the other three I can't
>figure out. Boxwood?
>
>What am I drinking? It's some sort of light oolong.

Its Jin1 Tan2 Que4 She2, or [place name] Sparrow Tongue, which is a
cultivar that I *think* is usually made into Long Jing style green tea.
But Im sure you can tell the difference between green and oolong.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
https://babelcarp.org
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin > wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) writes:

>>What is this?
>>
>>http://www.panix.com/~kludge/tea_3.jpg
>>
>>The first character is clearly "gold" jin. But the other three I can't
>>figure out. Boxwood?
>>
>>What am I drinking? It's some sort of light oolong.

>Its Jin1 Tan2 Que4 She2, or [place name] Sparrow Tongue, which is a
>cultivar that I *think* is usually made into Long Jing style green tea.
>But Im sure you can tell the difference between green and oolong.

Beautiful, many thanks! This is definitely an oolong, but it also might not
be the original tea in this container either. I suspect now that it is not.
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> >>http://www.panix.com/~kludge/tea_3.jpg

金坛雀舌 Jintan Queshe or Jintan Sparrow's Tongue.

It's a green tea, not oolong. Fujian, Guangdong and Taiwan are the main (traditional) oolong tea producing areas. But now, other tea producing areas (Guizhou, for example) are starting to experiment with producing other tea types such as oolong.

Here is the description of the tea on Baidu:
https://baike.baidu.com/item/%E9%87%...771&fr=aladdin

It's produced in the Jintan District of Changzhou city in Jiangsu province.
Here is a description of Jintan district on Baidu; complete with photo of the tea farm where your tea came from:
https://baike.baidu.com/item/%E9%87%... 10&fr=aladdin