pilo_

Default mediocrity

every once in a while, one comes across a tea that brings
an instant smile to the face and paroxysms of joy to the
spirit. but this does not happen often. and it makes me wonder...
are we awash in a sea of mediocre teas? i mean, if the leaf
can do wonders sometimes, what's happened with all those
teas that _don't_ bring such pleasure? i know there are
better and worse years and harvests and all, but is it
really that extreme?

Ian Rastall

In my never-ending Darjeeling Quest, I've found quite a bit of
enjoyment in the cheapest Upton Darjeeling, the Orthodox BOP
(TD06). Not complex or delicate, but it was tasty. I drown my stuff
in milk and sugar, though, so every mug of tea is a joy.

Ian
--
I will not weary you with descriptions of quiet,
similar, uninteresting days,--days of sleep,

Joseph Kubera

I wonder if the availability of really fine and unique teas sometimes spoils us
for what's there to be appreciated in the commoner ones. Not talking bagged
tea here, but decent, lovely teas that are not at the top of the charts.

I remember reading in a wine book the author's wise statement, "Sometimes I
think a crisp, fruity chenin blanc is all one can ask of a wine."

I keep around a couple of inexpensive (but really good) greens, and enjoy them,
and appreciate the top-of-the-line when I can get them.

Joe

pilo_

In article >,
Lewis Perin > wrote:

> I agree completely. If I found that I could only enjoy luxurious
> teas, I'd really start to worry about myself. This isn't puritanism,
> I think; it's more like wanting to have your feet on the ground.

yes, i agree. the point of my original post, though, was
to question why some teas are simply 'better' than others.
and again; i know there are issues of freshness, harvest,
&c....but can these things cause all the difference between
say, a longjing that knocks you over and one that doesn't do
a thing for you? does processing affect the leaves to
such an extent?

how different can one raw tea leaf be from
another?
pilo_

In article >,
Lewis Perin > wrote:

> I agree completely. If I found that I could only enjoy luxurious
> teas, I'd really start to worry about myself. This isn't puritanism,
> I think; it's more like wanting to have your feet on the ground.

yes, i agree. the point of my original post, though, was
to question why some teas are simply 'better' than others.
and again; i know there are issues of freshness, harvest,
&c....but can these things cause all the difference between
say, a longjing that knocks you over and one that doesn't do
a thing for you? does processing affect the leaves to
such an extent?

how different can one raw tea leaf be from
another?
Lewis Perin

pilo_ > writes:

> In article >,
> Lewis Perin > wrote:
>
> > I agree completely. If I found that I could only enjoy luxurious
> > teas, I'd really start to worry about myself. This isn't puritanism,
> > I think; it's more like wanting to have your feet on the ground.

> yes, i agree. the point of my original post, though, was to
> question why some teas are simply 'better' than others. and again;
> i know there are issues of freshness, harvest, &c....but can these
> things cause all the difference between say, a longjing that knocks
> you over and one that doesn't do a thing for you? does processing
> affect the leaves to such an extent?
>
> how different can one raw tea leaf be from another?

They can be radically different, as you can often see just by looking
at different grades of the same type of tea, both in the dry leaves and
once they've been brewed. Skill and care in processing matter a lot,
too, as well as freshness.

I hope you aren't asking for a simple formula or recipe, though. Good
luck if you're determined to find one!

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Lewis Perin

pilo_ > writes:

> In article >,
> Lewis Perin > wrote:
>
> > I agree completely. If I found that I could only enjoy luxurious
> > teas, I'd really start to worry about myself. This isn't puritanism,
> > I think; it's more like wanting to have your feet on the ground.

> yes, i agree. the point of my original post, though, was to
> question why some teas are simply 'better' than others. and again;
> i know there are issues of freshness, harvest, &c....but can these
> things cause all the difference between say, a longjing that knocks
> you over and one that doesn't do a thing for you? does processing
> affect the leaves to such an extent?
>
> how different can one raw tea leaf be from another?

They can be radically different, as you can often see just by looking
at different grades of the same type of tea, both in the dry leaves and
once they've been brewed. Skill and care in processing matter a lot,
too, as well as freshness.

I hope you aren't asking for a simple formula or recipe, though. Good
luck if you're determined to find one!

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Lewis Perin

pilo_ > writes:

> In article >,
> Lewis Perin > wrote:
>
> > I agree completely. If I found that I could only enjoy luxurious
> > teas, I'd really start to worry about myself. This isn't puritanism,
> > I think; it's more like wanting to have your feet on the ground.

> yes, i agree. the point of my original post, though, was to
> question why some teas are simply 'better' than others. and again;
> i know there are issues of freshness, harvest, &c....but can these
> things cause all the difference between say, a longjing that knocks
> you over and one that doesn't do a thing for you? does processing
> affect the leaves to such an extent?
>
> how different can one raw tea leaf be from another?

They can be radically different, as you can often see just by looking
at different grades of the same type of tea, both in the dry leaves and
once they've been brewed. Skill and care in processing matter a lot,
too, as well as freshness.

I hope you aren't asking for a simple formula or recipe, though. Good
luck if you're determined to find one!

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Lewis Perin

pilo_ > writes:

> In article >,
> Lewis Perin > wrote:
>
> > I agree completely. If I found that I could only enjoy luxurious
> > teas, I'd really start to worry about myself. This isn't puritanism,
> > I think; it's more like wanting to have your feet on the ground.

> yes, i agree. the point of my original post, though, was to
> question why some teas are simply 'better' than others. and again;
> i know there are issues of freshness, harvest, &c....but can these
> things cause all the difference between say, a longjing that knocks
> you over and one that doesn't do a thing for you? does processing
> affect the leaves to such an extent?
>
> how different can one raw tea leaf be from another?

They can be radically different, as you can often see just by looking
at different grades of the same type of tea, both in the dry leaves and
once they've been brewed. Skill and care in processing matter a lot,
too, as well as freshness.

I hope you aren't asking for a simple formula or recipe, though. Good
luck if you're determined to find one!

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
WadeM

I'm quite content with my Dragon's Well #4.

Well with the occasional Silver Needle.

"pilo_" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Lewis Perin > wrote:
>
> > I agree completely. If I found that I could only enjoy luxurious
> > teas, I'd really start to worry about myself. This isn't puritanism,
> > I think; it's more like wanting to have your feet on the ground.

> yes, i agree. the point of my original post, though, was
> to question why some teas are simply 'better' than others.
> and again; i know there are issues of freshness, harvest,
> &c....but can these things cause all the difference between
> say, a longjing that knocks you over and one that doesn't do
> a thing for you? does processing affect the leaves to
> such an extent?
>
> how different can one raw tea leaf be from
> another?

WadeM

"pilo_" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Lewis Perin > wrote:
>
> > I agree completely. If I found that I could only enjoy luxurious
> > teas, I'd really start to worry about myself. This isn't puritanism,
> > I think; it's more like wanting to have your feet on the ground.

> yes, i agree. the point of my original post, though, was
> to question why some teas are simply 'better' than others.
> and again; i know there are issues of freshness, harvest,
> &c....but can these things cause all the difference between
> say, a longjing that knocks you over and one that doesn't do
> a thing for you? does processing affect the leaves to
> such an extent?
>
> how different can one raw tea leaf be from
> another?

WadeM

"pilo_" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Lewis Perin > wrote:
>
> > I agree completely. If I found that I could only enjoy luxurious
> > teas, I'd really start to worry about myself. This isn't puritanism,
> > I think; it's more like wanting to have your feet on the ground.

> yes, i agree. the point of my original post, though, was
> to question why some teas are simply 'better' than others.
> and again; i know there are issues of freshness, harvest,
> &c....but can these things cause all the difference between
> say, a longjing that knocks you over and one that doesn't do
> a thing for you? does processing affect the leaves to
> such an extent?
>
> how different can one raw tea leaf be from
> another?

WadeM

"pilo_" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Lewis Perin > wrote:
>
> > I agree completely. If I found that I could only enjoy luxurious
> > teas, I'd really start to worry about myself. This isn't puritanism,
> > I think; it's more like wanting to have your feet on the ground.

> yes, i agree. the point of my original post, though, was
> to question why some teas are simply 'better' than others.
> and again; i know there are issues of freshness, harvest,
> &c....but can these things cause all the difference between
> say, a longjing that knocks you over and one that doesn't do
> a thing for you? does processing affect the leaves to
> such an extent?
>
> how different can one raw tea leaf be from
> another?

Michael Plant

Lewis 11/15/04

> pilo_ > writes:
>
>> In article >,
>> Lewis Perin > wrote:
>>
>>> I agree completely. If I found that I could only enjoy luxurious
>>> teas, I'd really start to worry about myself. This isn't puritanism,
>>> I think; it's more like wanting to have your feet on the ground.

>> yes, i agree. the point of my original post, though, was to
>> question why some teas are simply 'better' than others. and again;
>> i know there are issues of freshness, harvest, &c....but can these
>> things cause all the difference between say, a longjing that knocks
>> you over and one that doesn't do a thing for you? does processing
>> affect the leaves to such an extent?
>>
>> how different can one raw tea leaf be from another?

> They can be radically different, as you can often see just by looking
> at different grades of the same type of tea, both in the dry leaves and
> once they've been brewed. Skill and care in processing matter a lot,
> too, as well as freshness.

The Long Jing example is an excellent one for the purpose of this
discussion. First, there are different vartietals and areas to choose from.
While some are far more prestigious than others, preferred taste is an
individual matter that does *not* necessarily correlate to price and
prestige. Second, the look of each leaf is more important to some people
than to others. You will pay handsomely for perfect, hand picked and formed
leaves. On one thing we can all agree: Freshness is key.

A tea does not have to be outlandishly expensive to be excellent. In some
cases -- Phoenix Bird Dan Cong Oolongs and Long Jings being but two examples
-- the lesser breeds offer some out front in your face qualities that might
be preferable at times to those subtle great tea beings of good family. So,
to my mind, the secret is to taste lots and lots of tea, and then to choose
both the lessers and the greaters with great care and attention.

> I hope you aren't asking for a simple formula or recipe, though. Good
> luck if you're determined to find one!

I've been asking, but so far nobody has been forthcoming.

Michael

Michael Plant

Lewis 11/15/04

> pilo_ > writes:
>
>> In article >,
>> Lewis Perin > wrote:
>>
>>> I agree completely. If I found that I could only enjoy luxurious
>>> teas, I'd really start to worry about myself. This isn't puritanism,
>>> I think; it's more like wanting to have your feet on the ground.

>> yes, i agree. the point of my original post, though, was to
>> question why some teas are simply 'better' than others. and again;
>> i know there are issues of freshness, harvest, &c....but can these
>> things cause all the difference between say, a longjing that knocks
>> you over and one that doesn't do a thing for you? does processing
>> affect the leaves to such an extent?
>>
>> how different can one raw tea leaf be from another?

> They can be radically different, as you can often see just by looking
> at different grades of the same type of tea, both in the dry leaves and
> once they've been brewed. Skill and care in processing matter a lot,
> too, as well as freshness.

The Long Jing example is an excellent one for the purpose of this
discussion. First, there are different vartietals and areas to choose from.
While some are far more prestigious than others, preferred taste is an
individual matter that does *not* necessarily correlate to price and
prestige. Second, the look of each leaf is more important to some people
than to others. You will pay handsomely for perfect, hand picked and formed
leaves. On one thing we can all agree: Freshness is key.

A tea does not have to be outlandishly expensive to be excellent. In some
cases -- Phoenix Bird Dan Cong Oolongs and Long Jings being but two examples
-- the lesser breeds offer some out front in your face qualities that might
be preferable at times to those subtle great tea beings of good family. So,
to my mind, the secret is to taste lots and lots of tea, and then to choose
both the lessers and the greaters with great care and attention.

> I hope you aren't asking for a simple formula or recipe, though. Good
> luck if you're determined to find one!

I've been asking, but so far nobody has been forthcoming.

Michael

pilo_

In article >,
Michael Plant > wrote:

> More interesting would be your list of teas that bring an instant smile to
> your face and paroxysms of joy to your spirit.

well....what springs to mind at the moment is a longjing
i just rec'd from overseas. absolutely splendid in all
dimensions. one of those teas that keeps you constantly
searching for an encore.
pilo_

In article >,
Michael Plant > wrote:

> More interesting would be your list of teas that bring an instant smile to
> your face and paroxysms of joy to your spirit.

well....what springs to mind at the moment is a longjing
i just rec'd from overseas. absolutely splendid in all
dimensions. one of those teas that keeps you constantly
searching for an encore.
pilo_

In article >,
Michael Plant > wrote:

> More interesting would be your list of teas that bring an instant smile to
> your face and paroxysms of joy to your spirit.

well....what springs to mind at the moment is a longjing
i just rec'd from overseas. absolutely splendid in all
dimensions. one of those teas that keeps you constantly
searching for an encore.
pilo_

In article >,
Michael Plant > wrote:

> More interesting would be your list of teas that bring an instant smile to
> your face and paroxysms of joy to your spirit.

well....what springs to mind at the moment is a longjing
i just rec'd from overseas. absolutely splendid in all
dimensions. one of those teas that keeps you constantly
searching for an encore.

Melinda

Are you willing to share the source Pilo? I'm still wondering about
how to find what would be an example of a premium long jing. My green
tea experience is still pretty narrow within each catagory (in other
words, I'm getting more breadth by trying gunpowder, sencha, mao feng,
etc. but not much depth within catagories.)

Melinda

pilo_ > wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> Michael Plant > wrote:
>
> > More interesting would be your list of teas that bring an instant smile to
> > your face and paroxysms of joy to your spirit.

> well....what springs to mind at the moment is a longjing
> i just rec'd from overseas. absolutely splendid in all
> dimensions. one of those teas that keeps you constantly
> searching for an encore.

Joseph Kubera

>I'm still wondering about
>how to find what would be an example of a premium long jing.

Melinda,

While we're waiting for Pilo to offer his source...

If price is no object, you could go to Imperial Tea Court's top-of-the-line and
try that. The price is ridiculous. Your pocketbook would be far lighter!

Michael P and I have both tasted the ITC Imperial LJ in the past, and it has
been about the best available. Not smoky or toasty in the least, but sublimely
and smoothly vegetal (just going on memory, no tasting notes).

However, it's not the best time of year for it. What you really want to do is
get it in the spring.

Joe Kubera
Joseph Kubera

>I'm still wondering about
>how to find what would be an example of a premium long jing.

Melinda,

While we're waiting for Pilo to offer his source...

If price is no object, you could go to Imperial Tea Court's top-of-the-line and
try that. The price is ridiculous. Your pocketbook would be far lighter!

Michael P and I have both tasted the ITC Imperial LJ in the past, and it has
been about the best available. Not smoky or toasty in the least, but sublimely
and smoothly vegetal (just going on memory, no tasting notes).

However, it's not the best time of year for it. What you really want to do is
get it in the spring.

Joe Kubera

Lewis Perin

Mydnight > writes:

> [...]
> Gunpowder is either a type of Wulong called Tie Guan Yin or Wulong
> itself.

Sorry, gunpowder is a green tea (more often than not, a pretty harsh
one) rolled into tight pellets. Tieguanyin is also usually rolled
fairly tightly, but the leaves are much bigger, and of course they're
partially oxidized.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Lewis Perin

"Diane L. Schirf" > writes:

> In article >,
> Lewis Perin > wrote:
>
> > Sorry, gunpowder is a green tea (more often than not, a pretty harsh
> > one) rolled into tight pellets.

> What do you mean by "harsh"? I'm asking because I have some, and it
> seems bitter or something.

Bitter and astringent as well, probably.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Lewis Perin