Lewis Perin

"Diane L. Schirf" > writes:

> In article >,
> Lewis Perin > wrote:
>
> > Sorry, gunpowder is a green tea (more often than not, a pretty harsh
> > one) rolled into tight pellets.

> What do you mean by "harsh"? I'm asking because I have some, and it
> seems bitter or something.

Bitter and astringent as well, probably.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Mydnight

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:40:01 -0800, "Melinda" >
wrote:

>Yeah I knew about the place of origin of Longjing, lol...I was asking about
>his supplier source or where he bought his Longjing. I have never heard of
>gunpowder being a type of oolong...does anyone else have this info? Thanks
>very much.

you are referring to the sort of tea that comes rolled into little
balls that resemble black powder and unroll as you steep them, right?
on the western market, I have seen tie guan yin and other different
tyes of wulong advertised as 'Chinese Green Gunpowder' tea and
gunpowder tea and not using the true name of the tea. The two or
three vendors that I contacted about it, there are a profusion of them
on the net, all claim it to be green tea but know nothing more about
it since they basically just get it in bulk and sell it for jacked-up
prices.

From what I've seen, it all looks, and tastes like, a kind of wulong.
I haven't heard of any kind of Chinese tea being called gunpowder
before I looked in the western markets.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Mydnight

wrote:

>Yeah I knew about the place of origin of Longjing, lol...I was asking about
>his supplier source or where he bought his Longjing. I have never heard of
>gunpowder being a type of oolong...does anyone else have this info? Thanks
>very much.

you are referring to the sort of tea that comes rolled into little
balls that resemble black powder and unroll as you steep them, right?
on the western market, I have seen tie guan yin and other different
tyes of wulong advertised as 'Chinese Green Gunpowder' tea and
gunpowder tea and not using the true name of the tea. The two or
three vendors that I contacted about it, there are a profusion of them
on the net, all claim it to be green tea but know nothing more about
it since they basically just get it in bulk and sell it for jacked-up
prices.

From what I've seen, it all looks, and tastes like, a kind of wulong.
I haven't heard of any kind of Chinese tea being called gunpowder
before I looked in the western markets.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Lewis Perin

Mydnight > writes:

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:40:01 -0800, "Melinda" >
> wrote:
>
> >Yeah I knew about the place of origin of Longjing, lol...I was asking about
> >his supplier source or where he bought his Longjing. I have never heard of
> >gunpowder being a type of oolong...does anyone else have this info? Thanks
> >very much.
> >

> you are referring to the sort of tea that comes rolled into little
> balls that resemble black powder and unroll as you steep them, right?
> on the western market, I have seen tie guan yin and other different
> tyes of wulong advertised as 'Chinese Green Gunpowder' tea and
> gunpowder tea and not using the true name of the tea. The two or
> three vendors that I contacted about it, there are a profusion of them
> on the net, all claim it to be green tea but know nothing more about
> it since they basically just get it in bulk and sell it for jacked-up
> prices.
>
> From what I've seen, it all looks, and tastes like, a kind of wulong.
> I haven't heard of any kind of Chinese tea being called gunpowder
> before I looked in the western markets.

In Mandarin you'd say Zhu Cha for what's called Gunpowder in the west.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Lewis Perin

Mydnight > writes:

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:40:01 -0800, "Melinda" >
> wrote:
>
> >Yeah I knew about the place of origin of Longjing, lol...I was asking about
> >his supplier source or where he bought his Longjing. I have never heard of
> >gunpowder being a type of oolong...does anyone else have this info? Thanks
> >very much.
> >

> you are referring to the sort of tea that comes rolled into little
> balls that resemble black powder and unroll as you steep them, right?
> on the western market, I have seen tie guan yin and other different
> tyes of wulong advertised as 'Chinese Green Gunpowder' tea and
> gunpowder tea and not using the true name of the tea. The two or
> three vendors that I contacted about it, there are a profusion of them
> on the net, all claim it to be green tea but know nothing more about
> it since they basically just get it in bulk and sell it for jacked-up
> prices.
>
> From what I've seen, it all looks, and tastes like, a kind of wulong.
> I haven't heard of any kind of Chinese tea being called gunpowder
> before I looked in the western markets.

In Mandarin you'd say Zhu Cha for what's called Gunpowder in the west.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Melinda

And that's a very good point Lew what does Zhu Cha mean literally? (Guess I
could get off my lazy such and such and use the babelcarp hmm...) but it
brings up a good point that sometimes I feel hopeless about and sometimes
when I'm being Zen I just accept that it's part of the journey: namely that
the English names we know teas by are different from their Chinese (meaning
"real") names and that sometimes a tea sold by the same general name in the
US (for instance, "sencha" though not Chinese) can have a HUGE variation in
quality etc. Almost like a different tea. And sometimes teas sold by a name
(especially popular ones like Long Jing) can be not really Long Jing at all
(as per another group, "counterfeit").

But Mydnight, yes I can see the similarities in the rolled aspect between
Tai Guan Yin and Gunpowder, though to me (and let me just say the gunpowder
I have at the moment is cheap...nevertheless I kinda like it...) they don't
taste at all similar. I would HOPE (grins and crosses fingers) that if I
opened a container marked gunpowder that actually had an oolong in it, that
I'd be able to tell by taste. If I opened a container marked Tai Guan Yin
that had gunpowder in it though...that would upset me just a little, lol. I
ordered around five or six different kinds of Assam about a month ago and
after drinking on them I can now tell the difference between them without
looking...training myself.

"Lewis Perin" > wrote in message
news
> Mydnight > writes:
>
>> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:40:01 -0800, "Melinda" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Yeah I knew about the place of origin of Longjing, lol...I was asking
>> >about
>> >his supplier source or where he bought his Longjing. I have never heard
>> >of
>> >gunpowder being a type of oolong...does anyone else have this info?
>> >Thanks
>> >very much.
>> >

>> you are referring to the sort of tea that comes rolled into little
>> balls that resemble black powder and unroll as you steep them, right?
>> on the western market, I have seen tie guan yin and other different
>> tyes of wulong advertised as 'Chinese Green Gunpowder' tea and
>> gunpowder tea and not using the true name of the tea. The two or
>> three vendors that I contacted about it, there are a profusion of them
>> on the net, all claim it to be green tea but know nothing more about
>> it since they basically just get it in bulk and sell it for jacked-up
>> prices.
>>
>> From what I've seen, it all looks, and tastes like, a kind of wulong.
>> I haven't heard of any kind of Chinese tea being called gunpowder
>> before I looked in the western markets.

> In Mandarin you'd say Zhu Cha for what's called Gunpowder in the west.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Melinda

And that's a very good point Lew what does Zhu Cha mean literally? (Guess I
could get off my lazy such and such and use the babelcarp hmm...) but it
brings up a good point that sometimes I feel hopeless about and sometimes
when I'm being Zen I just accept that it's part of the journey: namely that
the English names we know teas by are different from their Chinese (meaning
"real") names and that sometimes a tea sold by the same general name in the
US (for instance, "sencha" though not Chinese) can have a HUGE variation in
quality etc. Almost like a different tea. And sometimes teas sold by a name
(especially popular ones like Long Jing) can be not really Long Jing at all
(as per another group, "counterfeit").

But Mydnight, yes I can see the similarities in the rolled aspect between
Tai Guan Yin and Gunpowder, though to me (and let me just say the gunpowder
I have at the moment is cheap...nevertheless I kinda like it...) they don't
taste at all similar. I would HOPE (grins and crosses fingers) that if I
opened a container marked gunpowder that actually had an oolong in it, that
I'd be able to tell by taste. If I opened a container marked Tai Guan Yin
that had gunpowder in it though...that would upset me just a little, lol. I
ordered around five or six different kinds of Assam about a month ago and
after drinking on them I can now tell the difference between them without
looking...training myself.

"Lewis Perin" > wrote in message
news
> Mydnight > writes:
>
>> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:40:01 -0800, "Melinda" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Yeah I knew about the place of origin of Longjing, lol...I was asking
>> >about
>> >his supplier source or where he bought his Longjing. I have never heard
>> >of
>> >gunpowder being a type of oolong...does anyone else have this info?
>> >Thanks
>> >very much.
>> >

>> you are referring to the sort of tea that comes rolled into little
>> balls that resemble black powder and unroll as you steep them, right?
>> on the western market, I have seen tie guan yin and other different
>> tyes of wulong advertised as 'Chinese Green Gunpowder' tea and
>> gunpowder tea and not using the true name of the tea. The two or
>> three vendors that I contacted about it, there are a profusion of them
>> on the net, all claim it to be green tea but know nothing more about
>> it since they basically just get it in bulk and sell it for jacked-up
>> prices.
>>
>> From what I've seen, it all looks, and tastes like, a kind of wulong.
>> I haven't heard of any kind of Chinese tea being called gunpowder
>> before I looked in the western markets.

> In Mandarin you'd say Zhu Cha for what's called Gunpowder in the west.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Mydnight

>In Mandarin you'd say Zhu Cha for what's called Gunpowder in the west.

what kind of tea is it exactly then, Lew? the people that I talked
with that referred to it as Gunpowder were people that were trying to
market their cheap wulong to foreigners; it was in one of the Shanghai
TianFu tea shops, I think. I've been a little confused about it since
trying to research it here in the states. Can you explain a bit about
it please?

I'm really curious and I want to learn more about it.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Mydnight

>In Mandarin you'd say Zhu Cha for what's called Gunpowder in the west.

what kind of tea is it exactly then, Lew? the people that I talked
with that referred to it as Gunpowder were people that were trying to
market their cheap wulong to foreigners; it was in one of the Shanghai
TianFu tea shops, I think. I've been a little confused about it since
trying to research it here in the states. Can you explain a bit about
it please?

I'm really curious and I want to learn more about it.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Mydnight

And sometimes teas sold by a name
>(especially popular ones like Long Jing) can be not really Long Jing at all
>(as per another group, "counterfeit").

indeed. I encountered a coffee shop that was telling small amounts of
tea and also doing a by-the-glass thing that had "zhejiang lengcheng"
(long jing in cantonese). I was rather excited, to see the label but
when I looked in the jar, it was hardly as it was being marketed. It
smelled slightly like longjing, but it was basically cheap red
tea...to my disappointment. What i really hate is when someone tries
to tell me that they are selling high quality chinese tea, then they
have no idea what they are talking about when I ask them
questions....such as, 'what kind of tea is it?' heh.

>But Mydnight, yes I can see the similarities in the rolled aspect between
>Tai Guan Yin and Gunpowder, though to me (and let me just say the gunpowder
>I have at the moment is cheap...nevertheless I kinda like it...) they don't
>taste at all similar. I would HOPE (grins and crosses fingers) that if I
>opened a container marked gunpowder that actually had an oolong in it, that
>I'd be able to tell by taste. If I opened a container marked Tai Guan Yin
>that had gunpowder in it though...that would upset me just a little, lol. I
>ordered around five or six different kinds of Assam about a month ago and
>after drinking on them I can now tell the difference between them without
>looking...training myself.

I wonder about that. I don't doubt your palate or anything, hehe, but
I really had no idea what wulong tasted like until I got some while I
was in China, even though I had drank wulong before in the USA.
And, even then, the variety of tastes can be confusing when it comes
to exactly what type it is. Most tea masters can't discern between a
regular wulong and some types of tie guan yin.

What in the devil is gunpowder tea anyway?

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

Mydnight

And sometimes teas sold by a name
>(especially popular ones like Long Jing) can be not really Long Jing at all
>(as per another group, "counterfeit").

indeed. I encountered a coffee shop that was telling small amounts of
tea and also doing a by-the-glass thing that had "zhejiang lengcheng"
(long jing in cantonese). I was rather excited, to see the label but
when I looked in the jar, it was hardly as it was being marketed. It
smelled slightly like longjing, but it was basically cheap red
tea...to my disappointment. What i really hate is when someone tries
to tell me that they are selling high quality chinese tea, then they
have no idea what they are talking about when I ask them
questions....such as, 'what kind of tea is it?' heh.

>But Mydnight, yes I can see the similarities in the rolled aspect between
>Tai Guan Yin and Gunpowder, though to me (and let me just say the gunpowder
>I have at the moment is cheap...nevertheless I kinda like it...) they don't
>taste at all similar. I would HOPE (grins and crosses fingers) that if I
>opened a container marked gunpowder that actually had an oolong in it, that
>I'd be able to tell by taste. If I opened a container marked Tai Guan Yin
>that had gunpowder in it though...that would upset me just a little, lol. I
>ordered around five or six different kinds of Assam about a month ago and
>after drinking on them I can now tell the difference between them without
>looking...training myself.

I wonder about that. I don't doubt your palate or anything, hehe, but
I really had no idea what wulong tasted like until I got some while I
was in China, even though I had drank wulong before in the USA.
And, even then, the variety of tastes can be confusing when it comes
to exactly what type it is. Most tea masters can't discern between a
regular wulong and some types of tie guan yin.

What in the devil is gunpowder tea anyway?

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Mydnight

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 01:46:26 GMT, Rebecca Ore
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Mydnight > wrote:
>
>> What in the devil is gunpowder tea anyway?

>It appears to be a rather nasty export green rolled into pellets most of
>the time. What I got from Foojoy was rather strong and smokey. There
>are some higher grades, but looks like most of it is for consumption
>outside China. The Chinese name is something like pearl tea. The
>pellets are much more compressed than the Ti Yuan Yin I've bought in
>Chinatown.

Interesting. I guess it's peddled to the lao wai or something.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Doug Hazen, Jr.

> what kind of tea is it exactly then, Lew? the people that I talked
> with that referred to it as Gunpowder were people that were trying to
> market their cheap wulong to foreigners; it was in one of the Shanghai
> TianFu tea shops, I think. I've been a little confused about it since
> trying to research it here in the states. Can you explain a bit about
> it please?
>
> I'm really curious and I want to learn more about it.

What's typically referred to as "Gunpowder" in the USA is definitely a green
tea, though one that often doesn't taste much like a Chinese green; it's
also usually pretty cheap compared to other Chinese greens. For example:

http://www.sevencups.com/proddetail....d4774a69c2b792
or
http://www.harney.com/gunpowdergreen.html
or
http://www.specialteas.com/product_d...00+31+1&cid=43
or
see Upton's ZG20, ZG21, 24, 25, 30, 32, or ZG34.

Doug

Doug Hazen, Jr.

> what kind of tea is it exactly then, Lew? the people that I talked
> with that referred to it as Gunpowder were people that were trying to
> market their cheap wulong to foreigners; it was in one of the Shanghai
> TianFu tea shops, I think. I've been a little confused about it since
> trying to research it here in the states. Can you explain a bit about
> it please?
>
> I'm really curious and I want to learn more about it.

What's typically referred to as "Gunpowder" in the USA is definitely a green
tea, though one that often doesn't taste much like a Chinese green; it's
also usually pretty cheap compared to other Chinese greens. For example:

http://www.sevencups.com/proddetail....d4774a69c2b792
or
http://www.harney.com/gunpowdergreen.html
or
http://www.specialteas.com/product_d...00+31+1&cid=43
or
see Upton's ZG20, ZG21, 24, 25, 30, 32, or ZG34.

Doug

Mydnight

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:17:14 -0500, "Doug Hazen, Jr."
> wrote:

>> what kind of tea is it exactly then, Lew? the people that I talked
>> with that referred to it as Gunpowder were people that were trying to
>> market their cheap wulong to foreigners; it was in one of the Shanghai
>> TianFu tea shops, I think. I've been a little confused about it since
>> trying to research it here in the states. Can you explain a bit about
>> it please?
>>
>> I'm really curious and I want to learn more about it.

>What's typically referred to as "Gunpowder" in the USA is definitely a green
>tea, though one that often doesn't taste much like a Chinese green; it's
>also usually pretty cheap compared to other Chinese greens. For example:
>

>http://www.sevencups.com/proddetail....d4774a69c2b792
>or
>http://www.harney.com/gunpowdergreen.html
>or
>http://www.specialteas.com/product_d...00+31+1&cid=43
>or
>see Upton's ZG20, ZG21, 24, 25, 30, 32, or ZG34.
>
> Doug

ahhh, i see now. it's just interesting though; i have been to
zhejiang and i never heard of a tea being called gunpowder or zhu cha.
it looks like a cheap version of tie guan yin called 'guan yin wang'
(iron goddess king). i had a friend of mine that worked in a shop
just give some to me because she said she got it for so cheap at
market. heh.

i did see a website with some biluochun that looked a little like
that.....but it was low grade.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

Mydnight

>We have a shop here in New York City (Big Apple Tea House) where they sell
>"Wulong" which is not Ti Guan Yin, and several Ti Guan Yins, which they
>claim are *not* Wulongs. So, having thought that "Wulong" is the name given
>to teas in the partially oxydized catagory, I resurrect the question, What
>is Wulong? I should mention too that lately their stock seems to have
>fallen. Previously, their Wulongs, whatever they might be, were absolutely
>delicious.

I don't know how to specifically define Wulong other than to say it's
half fermented, but I'm about 98 percent sure that Tie Guan Yin is a
type of Wulong; the wulong family branches out to many different types
of tea, but regardless of what their claim it is, it has to be a type
of Wulong. I say 98 percent because I consider all my knowledge
questionable because the shopkeepers could have been lying about
certain things to try to make a sale..heh. The other way around may
be true; I was told that Wulong is a type of tea and a classification
as well, if that makes sense. So, it's possible to have a Wulong that
is not a Tie Guan Yin for instance, I have some Gao Shan Wu Long (a li
shan...tall mountain wulong) that is not a tie guan yin. There was a
shop in Dongguan, the city I stayed, called Shang Ming Ming Cha that
had many such teas.

A friend of mine in Hong Kong has a pretty good website concerning
teas, and sells a bit of it. Check it out:

http://www.chineseteas101.com

>> What in the devil is gunpowder tea anyway?

>Gunpowder is a hyped green tea of low and generic quality, sometimes
>somewhat smokey, but nearly always boring, and seldom complex. If you find
>an expensive version, that adds insult to injury. My friends tell me to
>always add "IMHO" when I rant like this.

Beats me, I had no real desire to buy any but now that you've said
that, it reaffirms my position. heh. I saw it once in Shanghai;
looked cheap and smelled bad but was expensive.

oh yeah, IMHO. heh

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Mydnight

>We have a shop here in New York City (Big Apple Tea House) where they sell
>"Wulong" which is not Ti Guan Yin, and several Ti Guan Yins, which they
>claim are *not* Wulongs. So, having thought that "Wulong" is the name given
>to teas in the partially oxydized catagory, I resurrect the question, What
>is Wulong? I should mention too that lately their stock seems to have
>fallen. Previously, their Wulongs, whatever they might be, were absolutely
>delicious.

I don't know how to specifically define Wulong other than to say it's
half fermented, but I'm about 98 percent sure that Tie Guan Yin is a
type of Wulong; the wulong family branches out to many different types
of tea, but regardless of what their claim it is, it has to be a type
of Wulong. I say 98 percent because I consider all my knowledge
questionable because the shopkeepers could have been lying about
certain things to try to make a sale..heh. The other way around may
be true; I was told that Wulong is a type of tea and a classification
as well, if that makes sense. So, it's possible to have a Wulong that
is not a Tie Guan Yin for instance, I have some Gao Shan Wu Long (a li
shan...tall mountain wulong) that is not a tie guan yin. There was a
shop in Dongguan, the city I stayed, called Shang Ming Ming Cha that
had many such teas.

A friend of mine in Hong Kong has a pretty good website concerning
teas, and sells a bit of it. Check it out:

http://www.chineseteas101.com

>> What in the devil is gunpowder tea anyway?

>Gunpowder is a hyped green tea of low and generic quality, sometimes
>somewhat smokey, but nearly always boring, and seldom complex. If you find
>an expensive version, that adds insult to injury. My friends tell me to
>always add "IMHO" when I rant like this.

Beats me, I had no real desire to buy any but now that you've said
that, it reaffirms my position. heh. I saw it once in Shanghai;
looked cheap and smelled bad but was expensive.

oh yeah, IMHO. heh

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Lewis Perin

Mydnight > writes:

> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:17:14 -0500, "Doug Hazen, Jr."
> > wrote:
> >[...]
> >What's typically referred to as "Gunpowder" in the USA is definitely a green
> >tea, though one that often doesn't taste much like a Chinese green; it's
> >also usually pretty cheap compared to other Chinese greens.
> >[...]

> ahhh, i see now. it's just interesting though; i have been to
> zhejiang and i never heard of a tea being called gunpowder or zhu
> cha.

That may be because it's made primarily for export, especially to the
Mideast. On the other hand, I just did a Google search for zhucha
using the Chinese characters, and came up with 7,920 hits.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Lewis Perin

Mydnight > writes:

> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:17:14 -0500, "Doug Hazen, Jr."
> > wrote:
> >[...]
> >What's typically referred to as "Gunpowder" in the USA is definitely a green
> >tea, though one that often doesn't taste much like a Chinese green; it's
> >also usually pretty cheap compared to other Chinese greens.
> >[...]

> ahhh, i see now. it's just interesting though; i have been to
> zhejiang and i never heard of a tea being called gunpowder or zhu
> cha.

That may be because it's made primarily for export, especially to the
Mideast. On the other hand, I just did a Google search for zhucha
using the Chinese characters, and came up with 7,920 hits.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Mydnight

>That may be because it's made primarily for export, especially to the
>Mideast. On the other hand, I just did a Google search for zhucha
>using the Chinese characters, and came up with 7,920 hits.

which zhu is it? is it the one that means 'burning'?

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Mydnight

>That may be because it's made primarily for export, especially to the
>Mideast. On the other hand, I just did a Google search for zhucha
>using the Chinese characters, and came up with 7,920 hits.

which zhu is it? is it the one that means 'burning'?

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Lewis Perin

Mydnight > writes:

> >That may be because it's made primarily for export, especially to the
> >Mideast. On the other hand, I just did a Google search for zhucha
> >using the Chinese characters, and came up with 7,920 hits.
> >

> which zhu is it? is it the one that means 'burning'?

No, although that might describe the taste of bad gunpowder: it's the
one for "pearl".

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Lewis Perin

Mydnight > writes:

> >That may be because it's made primarily for export, especially to the
> >Mideast. On the other hand, I just did a Google search for zhucha
> >using the Chinese characters, and came up with 7,920 hits.
> >

> which zhu is it? is it the one that means 'burning'?

No, although that might describe the taste of bad gunpowder: it's the
one for "pearl".

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /