Default Are ALL green teas low in caffeine?

Im supposed to avoid caffeine...... GERD problem

SO Ive given up drinking so much soda and started
drinking green teas.

However I bought some green tea at Costco that did not
specifically say it was de-caffeinated.

Are green teas naturally low in caffeine... or must I
make sure to get one that says "de-caffinated"?
cc

> wrote in message

> Im supposed to avoid caffeine......

That means avoiding tea.

> Are green teas naturally low in caffeine...

No, they are all naturally high in caffeine. Only roasted teas have low (and
not zero) cafeine content.

>or must I
> make sure to get one that says "de-caffinated"?

Yes.

Kuri

Michael Plant

/12/04

> > wrote in message
>
>> Im supposed to avoid caffeine......

> That means avoiding tea.
>
>> Are green teas naturally low in caffeine...

> No, they are all naturally high in caffeine. Only roasted teas have low (and
> not zero) cafeine content.
>
>> or must I
>> make sure to get one that says "de-caffinated"?

> Yes.
>
> Kuri

Sorry, Kuri. WRONG. I merely wave my hand over the pot while the tea is
brewing and say in a loud voice, "Caffeine, be gone." This never fails at
the third or fourth steep.

Michael

Michael Plant

/12/04

> > wrote in message
>
>> Im supposed to avoid caffeine......

> That means avoiding tea.
>
>> Are green teas naturally low in caffeine...

> No, they are all naturally high in caffeine. Only roasted teas have low (and
> not zero) cafeine content.
>
>> or must I
>> make sure to get one that says "de-caffinated"?

> Yes.
>
> Kuri

Sorry, Kuri. WRONG. I merely wave my hand over the pot while the tea is
brewing and say in a loud voice, "Caffeine, be gone." This never fails at
the third or fourth steep.

Michael

Joseph Kubera

>Being relegated to drinking de-caf green tea is a fate worse than death,
>in my opinion. I've never had a decent one.

Much like alcohol-free beer, I'd guess. Except I was served one in Germany
that really had me fooled; it was great.

Joe K
RJP

"??**(C)(C)" wrote:

> Being relegated to drinking de-caf green tea is a fate worse than death,
> in my opinion. I've never had a decent one.

Upton has one for a bit over $20/pound that surprised me -
it was decent. Not superb, but not bad at all. I could
live with it if I had to drink decaf (which I don't).

Randy
samarkand

"Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> /12/04
>

>> > wrote in message
>>
>>> Im supposed to avoid caffeine......

>> That means avoiding tea.
>>
>>> Are green teas naturally low in caffeine...

>> No, they are all naturally high in caffeine. Only roasted teas have low
>> (and
>> not zero) cafeine content.
>>
>>> or must I
>>> make sure to get one that says "de-caffinated"?

>> Yes.
>>
>> Kuri
>>

> Sorry, Kuri. WRONG. I merely wave my hand over the pot while the tea is
> brewing and say in a loud voice, "Caffeine, be gone." This never fails at
> the third or fourth steep.
>
> Michael

As for me, I simply tap the pot thrice with my phoenix feather wand and say
"Kaffaintinus!" and the tea wil be void of caffeine!

....In tests, it has been shown that next to amino acids, caffeine is the
quickest to be leached out with water temperature at boiling or near boiling
point. The trick then is to allow the amino acids to leach while arresting
the caffeine's leach - by using lower water temperature.

Samar

Bluesea

> wrote in message
> Im supposed to avoid caffeine...... GERD problem
>
> SO Ive given up drinking so much soda and started
> drinking green teas.
>
> However I bought some green tea at Costco that did not
> specifically say it was de-caffeinated.
>
> Are green teas naturally low in caffeine... or must I
> make sure to get one that says "de-caffinated"?

No, green teas are not naturally low in caffeine although they are lower
than coffee, per cup of beverage.

Have you tried rooibos? It's naturally caffeine-free and the
Earl Grey version from uptontea.com is good.

Also, herbal teas are naturally caffeine-free. Celestial Seasonings Honey
Vanilla Chamomile is a favorite.

You can also decaf tea yourself. It's really easy, just brew for about 45
seconds, discard the water and then continue to brew with fresh hot water.
It works because caffeine is water-soluble and approximately 80% of the
caffeine in tea is released during the first 30 seconds of brewing. I
wouldn't recommend going over a minute, though, because at that point, the
rate of caffeine being released is greatly reduced and the tannins that make
tea taste bitter are more likely to affect your "second" brewing.

As for soda, 7Up and Sprite and some root beers are also caffeine-free.
Check the labels - you don't have to give up soda, just avoid colas and
stuff like Jolt and whatever that other one's called.

--
~~Bluesea~~

>Have you tried rooibos? It's naturally caffeine-free and the
>Earl Grey version from uptontea.com is good.

I will look into the above. Thanks

>You can also decaf tea yourself. It's really easy, just brew for about 45
>seconds, discard the water and then continue

Greta info.... I didn't know the above

That's good info cause I just bought a big box of green
tea from tenrentea.com from Costco. Man is that stuff
really green!!

Anyway.... I didn't want to have to throw away a
freshly bought box. Now I can use up this new box

Ive always bought my tea from walmart.... but was n
Costco and saw this box of 100 bags for a god price and
decided to try it. But it didn't say anything abt being
decaffeinated anywhere on the box. But decided to try
it anyway hoping that green tea was naturally lower in
caffeine.

Bluesea

> wrote in message
>
> >Have you tried rooibos? It's naturally caffeine-free and the
> >Earl Grey version from uptontea.com is good.

> I will look into the above. Thanks
>
> >You can also decaf tea yourself. It's really easy, just brew for about 45
> >seconds, discard the water and then continue

> Greta info.... I didn't know the above
>
> That's good info cause I just bought a big box of green
> tea from tenrentea.com from Costco. Man is that stuff
> really green!!
>
> Anyway.... I didn't want to have to throw away a
> freshly bought box. Now I can use up this new box
>
> Ive always bought my tea from walmart.... but was n
> Costco and saw this box of 100 bags for a god price and
> decided to try it. But it didn't say anything abt being
> decaffeinated anywhere on the box. But decided to try
> it anyway hoping that green tea was naturally lower in
> caffeine.

I've found that decaf tea costs more and there isn't as much variety so when
I learned how to decaf, I decided it's easier for me to do it myself rather
than hunt around and pay more.

You're welcome .

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

> wrote in message
>
> >Have you tried rooibos? It's naturally caffeine-free and the
> >Earl Grey version from uptontea.com is good.

> I will look into the above. Thanks
>
> >You can also decaf tea yourself. It's really easy, just brew for about 45
> >seconds, discard the water and then continue

> Greta info.... I didn't know the above
>
> That's good info cause I just bought a big box of green
> tea from tenrentea.com from Costco. Man is that stuff
> really green!!
>
> Anyway.... I didn't want to have to throw away a
> freshly bought box. Now I can use up this new box
>
> Ive always bought my tea from walmart.... but was n
> Costco and saw this box of 100 bags for a god price and
> decided to try it. But it didn't say anything abt being
> decaffeinated anywhere on the box. But decided to try
> it anyway hoping that green tea was naturally lower in
> caffeine.

I've found that decaf tea costs more and there isn't as much variety so when
I learned how to decaf, I decided it's easier for me to do it myself rather
than hunt around and pay more.

You're welcome .

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

> wrote in message
>
> Ive always bought my tea from walmart...

I just remembered - I've seen decaffeinated green tea by Celestial
Seasonings at Wal-Mart. It says so on the box right above "Green Tea" so,
after you're done with this Costco box....

--
~~Bluesea~~

>I just remembered - I've seen decaffeinated green tea by Celestial
>Seasonings at Wal-Mart. It says so on the box right above "Green Tea" so,
>after you're done with this Costco box....

Yes... Ive tried Celestial Seasonings green decaf.....
but my question was one of if green tea had much
caffeine to begin with.

Like you said I cant find much variety in decaf green
teas. Nor can i buy it in bulk at good prices as
easily

Now that you've given me info on how to reduce the
caffeine in it.... I can buy whatever i want and still
have reduced caffeine.

Yes?

>I just remembered - I've seen decaffeinated green tea by Celestial
>Seasonings at Wal-Mart. It says so on the box right above "Green Tea" so,
>after you're done with this Costco box....

Yes... Ive tried Celestial Seasonings green decaf.....
but my question was one of if green tea had much
caffeine to begin with.

Like you said I cant find much variety in decaf green
teas. Nor can i buy it in bulk at good prices as
easily

Now that you've given me info on how to reduce the
caffeine in it.... I can buy whatever i want and still
have reduced caffeine.

Yes?

Bluesea

> wrote in message
>
> Like you said I cant find much variety in decaf green
> teas. Nor can i buy it in bulk at good prices as
> easily
>
> Now that you've given me info on how to reduce the
> caffeine in it.... I can buy whatever i want and still
> have reduced caffeine.
>
> Yes?

YES!

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

> wrote in message
>
> Like you said I cant find much variety in decaf green
> teas. Nor can i buy it in bulk at good prices as
> easily
>
> Now that you've given me info on how to reduce the
> caffeine in it.... I can buy whatever i want and still
> have reduced caffeine.
>
> Yes?

YES!

--
~~Bluesea~~

cc

> wrote in message

> Now that you've given me info on how to reduce the
> caffeine in it.... I can buy whatever i want and still
> have reduced caffeine.
>
> Yes?

We can't answer you. It's sure rinsing reduces the cafeine content, but
there is no way to know how much is left. I don't know your condition, but
if your diet is zero cafeine, the trick is not reliable.
I have been kept awake by third infusions of teas. Normally that's not a
problem for me. But I can be very sensitive to cafeine (and similar stuff),
on periods when I am tired/stressed, that makes me nervous and unpleasant.
I reduce the deshydratation effect of cafeine by drinking 1 large glass of
fresh water for each small cup of tea/coffee I have in the morning.
And the rest of the day, I drink hooji-cha (Japanese roasted tea),
mugi-cha/soba-cha (rye tea, buckwheat tea), rooibos, tisanes (linden and
hazelnut are my favorite), cold infusion of fresh herbs and lime, water...

Kuri

cc

> wrote in message

> Now that you've given me info on how to reduce the
> caffeine in it.... I can buy whatever i want and still
> have reduced caffeine.
>
> Yes?

We can't answer you. It's sure rinsing reduces the cafeine content, but
there is no way to know how much is left. I don't know your condition, but
if your diet is zero cafeine, the trick is not reliable.
I have been kept awake by third infusions of teas. Normally that's not a
problem for me. But I can be very sensitive to cafeine (and similar stuff),
on periods when I am tired/stressed, that makes me nervous and unpleasant.
I reduce the deshydratation effect of cafeine by drinking 1 large glass of
fresh water for each small cup of tea/coffee I have in the morning.
And the rest of the day, I drink hooji-cha (Japanese roasted tea),
mugi-cha/soba-cha (rye tea, buckwheat tea), rooibos, tisanes (linden and
hazelnut are my favorite), cold infusion of fresh herbs and lime, water...

Kuri

cc

> wrote in message

> Now that you've given me info on how to reduce the
> caffeine in it.... I can buy whatever i want and still
> have reduced caffeine.
>
> Yes?

We can't answer you. It's sure rinsing reduces the cafeine content, but
there is no way to know how much is left. I don't know your condition, but
if your diet is zero cafeine, the trick is not reliable.
I have been kept awake by third infusions of teas. Normally that's not a
problem for me. But I can be very sensitive to cafeine (and similar stuff),
on periods when I am tired/stressed, that makes me nervous and unpleasant.
I reduce the deshydratation effect of cafeine by drinking 1 large glass of
fresh water for each small cup of tea/coffee I have in the morning.
And the rest of the day, I drink hooji-cha (Japanese roasted tea),
mugi-cha/soba-cha (rye tea, buckwheat tea), rooibos, tisanes (linden and
hazelnut are my favorite), cold infusion of fresh herbs and lime, water...

Kuri

>And the rest of the day, I drink hooji-cha (Japanese roasted tea),
>mugi-cha/soba-cha (rye tea, buckwheat tea), rooibos, tisanes (linden and
>hazelnut are my favorite), cold infusion of fresh herbs and lime, water...

Ok I will look for the above teas.... but I live in a very small town
and they may not be available to me.

One reason why Ive started drinking tea and give up soda is for the
health benefits that tea has. Do these teas above have same health
benefits as green teas?

>And the rest of the day, I drink hooji-cha (Japanese roasted tea),
>mugi-cha/soba-cha (rye tea, buckwheat tea), rooibos, tisanes (linden and
>hazelnut are my favorite), cold infusion of fresh herbs and lime, water...

Ok I will look for the above teas.... but I live in a very small town
and they may not be available to me.

One reason why Ive started drinking tea and give up soda is for the
health benefits that tea has. Do these teas above have same health
benefits as green teas?

>And the rest of the day, I drink hooji-cha (Japanese roasted tea),
>mugi-cha/soba-cha (rye tea, buckwheat tea), rooibos, tisanes (linden and
>hazelnut are my favorite), cold infusion of fresh herbs and lime, water...

Ok I will look for the above teas.... but I live in a very small town
and they may not be available to me.

One reason why Ive started drinking tea and give up soda is for the
health benefits that tea has. Do these teas above have same health
benefits as green teas?
cc

> wrote in message

> >And the rest of the day, I drink hooji-cha (Japanese roasted tea),
> >mugi-cha/soba-cha (rye tea, buckwheat tea), rooibos, tisanes (linden and
> >hazelnut are my favorite), cold infusion of fresh herbs and lime,

water...

> One reason why Ive started drinking tea and give up soda is for the
> health benefits that tea has. Do these teas above have same health
> benefits as green teas?

Different ones. The ideal is to vary, so you get the health benefits from
everything without suffering of the side-effects due to excess.

Kuri

cc

> wrote in message

> >And the rest of the day, I drink hooji-cha (Japanese roasted tea),
> >mugi-cha/soba-cha (rye tea, buckwheat tea), rooibos, tisanes (linden and
> >hazelnut are my favorite), cold infusion of fresh herbs and lime,

water...

> One reason why Ive started drinking tea and give up soda is for the
> health benefits that tea has. Do these teas above have same health
> benefits as green teas?

Different ones. The ideal is to vary, so you get the health benefits from
everything without suffering of the side-effects due to excess.

Kuri

RJP

> >And the rest of the day, I drink hooji-cha (Japanese roasted tea),
> >mugi-cha/soba-cha (rye tea, buckwheat tea), rooibos, tisanes (linden and
> >hazelnut are my favorite), cold infusion of fresh herbs and lime, water...

> Ok I will look for the above teas.... but I live in a very small town
> and they may not be available to me.
>
> One reason why Ive started drinking tea and give up soda is for the
> health benefits that tea has. Do these teas above have same health
> benefits as green teas?

In a word, no, but probably not as much research has been done
with all of these. If you want to stick to something that has strongly
documented health benefits, then stick to real tea.

--
Randy
(if replying by e-mail, remove SPAMFREE and DeLeTe from my address)

> If you want to stick to something that has strongly
>documented health benefits, then stick to real tea.

Real tea as in green tea?

> If you want to stick to something that has strongly
>documented health benefits, then stick to real tea.

Real tea as in green tea?
Bluesea

> wrote in message
> > If you want to stick to something that has strongly
> >documented health benefits, then stick to real tea.

> Real tea as in green tea?

Real tea (green, oolong, black, white, Pu-Erh) comes from the tea plant,
Camellia Sinensis. Others (rooibos, herbal, etc.) are commonly referred to
as "tea" because the beverage is prepared in the same manner, but are not
real teas simply because they don't contain tea leaves. However, beverages
made from rooibos, herbals, etc., are naturally caffeine-free and boast
their own health benefits. Since your primary goal appears to be the
avoidance of caffeine, I suggest that you vary your consumption to suit your
taste. After all, they're all healthier than the caffeinated, carbonated,
colored sugar water that you were drinking previously. If, however, you're
supposed to _eliminate_ caffeine, then, yes, drinking real tea, even
decaffeinated, won't do and you'll need to stick to Kuri's suggestions and
plain water, filtered, bottled, or distilled if you don't like the taste of
your tap water.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

> wrote in message
> > If you want to stick to something that has strongly
> >documented health benefits, then stick to real tea.

> Real tea as in green tea?

Real tea (green, oolong, black, white, Pu-Erh) comes from the tea plant,
Camellia Sinensis. Others (rooibos, herbal, etc.) are commonly referred to
as "tea" because the beverage is prepared in the same manner, but are not
real teas simply because they don't contain tea leaves. However, beverages
made from rooibos, herbals, etc., are naturally caffeine-free and boast
their own health benefits. Since your primary goal appears to be the
avoidance of caffeine, I suggest that you vary your consumption to suit your
taste. After all, they're all healthier than the caffeinated, carbonated,
colored sugar water that you were drinking previously. If, however, you're
supposed to _eliminate_ caffeine, then, yes, drinking real tea, even
decaffeinated, won't do and you'll need to stick to Kuri's suggestions and
plain water, filtered, bottled, or distilled if you don't like the taste of
your tap water.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

"Bluesea" > wrote in message

> ...you'll need to stick to Kuri's suggestions and
> plain water, filtered, bottled, or distilled if you don't like the taste

of
> your tap water.

I forgot juice.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

"Bluesea" > wrote in message

> ...you'll need to stick to Kuri's suggestions and
> plain water, filtered, bottled, or distilled if you don't like the taste

of
> your tap water.

I forgot juice.

--
~~Bluesea~~

RJP

"Bluesea" > wrote:

> If, however, you're
> supposed to _eliminate_ caffeine, then, yes, drinking real tea, even
> decaffeinated, won't do and you'll need to stick to Kuri's suggestions and
> plain water, filtered, bottled, or distilled if you don't like the taste of
> your tap water.

I would have to disagree with this if the poster gets high-quality teas
that are decaffeinated using carbon dioxide instead of ethyl acetate.
This method removes 99% of the caffeine and leaves no residual
chemicals. I'll go way out on a limb and say that leaving 1% of the
caffeine in the leaf ain't gonna hurt nobody, nohow.

--
Randy
(if replying by e-mail, remove SPAMFREE and DeLeTe from my address)

RJP

"Bluesea" > wrote:

> If, however, you're
> supposed to _eliminate_ caffeine, then, yes, drinking real tea, even
> decaffeinated, won't do and you'll need to stick to Kuri's suggestions and
> plain water, filtered, bottled, or distilled if you don't like the taste of
> your tap water.

I would have to disagree with this if the poster gets high-quality teas
that are decaffeinated using carbon dioxide instead of ethyl acetate.
This method removes 99% of the caffeine and leaves no residual
chemicals. I'll go way out on a limb and say that leaving 1% of the
caffeine in the leaf ain't gonna hurt nobody, nohow.

--
Randy
(if replying by e-mail, remove SPAMFREE and DeLeTe from my address)

Bluesea

"RJP" > wrote in message

> "Bluesea" > wrote:
>
> > If, however, you're
> > supposed to _eliminate_ caffeine, then, yes, drinking real tea, even
> > decaffeinated, won't do and you'll need to stick to Kuri's suggestions

and
> > plain water, filtered, bottled, or distilled if you don't like the taste

of
> > your tap water.

> I would have to disagree with this if the poster gets high-quality teas
> that are decaffeinated using carbon dioxide instead of ethyl acetate.
> This method removes 99% of the caffeine and leaves no residual
> chemicals. I'll go way out on a limb and say that leaving 1% of the
> caffeine in the leaf ain't gonna hurt nobody, nohow.

I'd agree with you except that I don't know precisely what the situation is.
The OP does and will choose accordingly.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

"RJP" > wrote in message

> "Bluesea" > wrote:
>
> > If, however, you're
> > supposed to _eliminate_ caffeine, then, yes, drinking real tea, even
> > decaffeinated, won't do and you'll need to stick to Kuri's suggestions

and
> > plain water, filtered, bottled, or distilled if you don't like the taste

of
> > your tap water.

> I would have to disagree with this if the poster gets high-quality teas
> that are decaffeinated using carbon dioxide instead of ethyl acetate.
> This method removes 99% of the caffeine and leaves no residual
> chemicals. I'll go way out on a limb and say that leaving 1% of the
> caffeine in the leaf ain't gonna hurt nobody, nohow.

I'd agree with you except that I don't know precisely what the situation is.
The OP does and will choose accordingly.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

"RJP" > wrote in message

> "Bluesea" > wrote:
>
> > If, however, you're
> > supposed to _eliminate_ caffeine, then, yes, drinking real tea, even
> > decaffeinated, won't do and you'll need to stick to Kuri's suggestions

and
> > plain water, filtered, bottled, or distilled if you don't like the taste

of
> > your tap water.

> I would have to disagree with this if the poster gets high-quality teas
> that are decaffeinated using carbon dioxide instead of ethyl acetate.
> This method removes 99% of the caffeine and leaves no residual
> chemicals. I'll go way out on a limb and say that leaving 1% of the
> caffeine in the leaf ain't gonna hurt nobody, nohow.

I'd agree with you except that I don't know precisely what the situation is.
The OP does and will choose accordingly.

--
~~Bluesea~~

>I would have to disagree with this if the poster gets high-quality teas
>that are decaffeinated using carbon dioxide

Where would I buy such teas?

Or how would I know they've been treated this way?

>I would have to disagree with this if the poster gets high-quality teas
>that are decaffeinated using carbon dioxide

Where would I buy such teas?

Or how would I know they've been treated this way?

>I would have to disagree with this if the poster gets high-quality teas
>that are decaffeinated using carbon dioxide

Where would I buy such teas?

Or how would I know they've been treated this way?

ctc green teas? Natarajan Krishnaswami Tea 3 15-01-2008 08:19 PM
Green tea without caffeine? [email protected] Tea 1 14-02-2005 11:28 AM
High-Caffeine Teas Alex Chaihorsky Tea 8 04-11-2004 03:17 PM
High-Caffeine Teas [email protected] Tea 1 04-11-2004 03:17 PM
Caffeine effect of various green teas Patrick Heinze Tea 4 21-02-2004 06:28 AM