Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default How remove black tea stain

I LOVE Earl Grey teas. BUT!.....

How does one remove the stain they leave? I have it in all my tea
cups, some which are collectible Otagiri's. I know that elbo grease,
a dobi pad, and some dish detergent will do the job, but some of my
Otagiri's have gold around the top edge and I don't like using
abrasives on that thin layer of gold. Any suggestions?

TIA
nb
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 18/06/2015 05:07 pm, notbob wrote:
> I LOVE Earl Grey teas. BUT!.....
>
> How does one remove the stain they leave? I have it in all my tea
> cups, some which are collectible Otagiri's. I know that elbo grease,
> a dobi pad, and some dish detergent will do the job, but some of my
> Otagiri's have gold around the top edge and I don't like using
> abrasives on that thin layer of gold. Any suggestions?
>
> TIA
> nb

Bicarbonate of Soda
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 2015-06-18, Jon > wrote:

> Bicarbonate of Soda

Got plenty of that. I'll give it a shot. Thnx, Jon.

nb
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 2015-06-20, Lawrence > wrote:

> On 18 Jun 2015 16:07:17 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>>I LOVE Earl Grey teas. BUT!.....
>>
>>How does one remove the stain they leave?

> Bleach.

OK. I've tried bleach, oxi, bicarb, etc. All they do is bleach the
stain white. Bicarb doesn't even do that. Problem is, the material
leaves a glaze of stain which is still there, it's jes bleached
white, so looks gone.

I've found not bleaching the stain and actually removing the thin
patina of stain with mild abrasives to be a better solution. I use a
dobie pad. I think my best defense is to not drink blk teas or even
use my more valuble cups.

Thanks fer the help.
nb
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 12:07:18 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
> I LOVE Earl Grey teas. BUT!.....
>
> How does one remove the stain they leave? I have it in all my tea
> cups, some which are collectible Otagiri's. I know that elbo grease,
> a dobi pad, and some dish detergent will do the job, but some of my
> Otagiri's have gold around the top edge and I don't like using
> abrasives on that thin layer of gold. Any suggestions?
>
> TIA
> nb

I use a paste of bicarb and dish washing liquid. the bicarb provides the mild abrasive without being to abrasive.