Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Pu-erh counterfeiting caught on vid

Check this video out: https://instagram.com/p/1LQgpuHjLd/

Kunming market to make the wrapper look "old."

Not my own video, found it on Reddit.

--
Dario Niedermann. Also on the Internet at:

gopher://retro-net.org/1/dnied/ , http://devio.us/~ndr/
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 2015-04-08 08:58:21 +0000, Dario Niedermann said:

> Check this video out: https://instagram.com/p/1LQgpuHjLd/

> Kunming market to make the wrapper look "old."
>
> Not my own video, found it on Reddit.

It seems like this is likely to be pretty pervasive. I also suspect
that puerh teas are upgraded by the substitution of a new wrapper as
well.

Popular puerh manufacturers have been taking steps against this such as
placing the tea in a sealed plastic bag with tiny air holes, and also
boxing the teas and affixing holographic sticker seals. These may be
effective to some degree but as time goes on, I think it's probable
that the situation will get much worse.

Stock up now - pherh improves with age, will never get any cheaper, and
is likely to be a better long-term investment than stocks and bonds.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Oregonian Haruspex > writes:

>On 2015-04-08 08:58:21 +0000, Dario Niedermann said:
>
>> Check this video out: https://instagram.com/p/1LQgpuHjLd/

>> Kunming market to make the wrapper look "old."
>>
>> Not my own video, found it on Reddit.

>It seems like this is likely to be pretty pervasive. I also suspect
>that puerh teas are upgraded by the substitution of a new wrapper as
>well.
>
>Popular puerh manufacturers have been taking steps against this such
>as placing the tea in a sealed plastic bag with tiny air holes, and
>also boxing the teas and affixing holographic sticker seals. These
>may be effective to some degree but as time goes on, I think it's
>probable that the situation will get much worse.
>
>Stock up now - pherh improves with age, will never get any cheaper,
>and is likely to be a better long-term investment than stocks and
>bonds.

But it isnt that simple. A lot of people in China acted on that theory
in the early 2000s. There was a speculative frenzy now known as the
Puer Bubble. It ended just about 8 years ago, wiping out a large
number of people. A good place to read about this is €śPuer Tea:
Ancient Caravans and Urban Chic€ť by Jinghong Zhang.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
http://babelcarp.org
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 2015-04-10 13:43:59 +0000, Lewis Perin said:

> But it isnt that simple. A lot of people in China acted on that theory
> in the early 2000s. There was a speculative frenzy now known as the
> Puer Bubble. It ended just about 8 years ago, wiping out a large
> number of people. A good place to read about this is €śPuer Tea:
> Ancient Caravans and Urban Chic€ť by Jinghong Zhang.

Thanks for the book recommendation - puerh literature is very difficult
to get in English.

I was aware of the puerh bubble but I didn't know that people were
wiped out financially. It would be interesting to see how and why,
especially seeing the kinds of prices that good 10+ year old puerh can
fetch these days.