Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Good procedures for better tea.

Hi, I'd like to ask you which temperature do you use to infuse tea leaves.
I use to boil water and then turn off the boiler, waiting some seconds and put leaves in it, but temperature is very random (about 95 - 99 °C).

I'd like to buy a proper thermostat and take more care about this stuff but I've really no idea when infuse leaves.

What are your habits?

Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Friday, July 11, 2014 7:15:48 PM UTC-5, xeiman wrote:
> Hi, I'd like to ask you which temperature do you use to infuse tea leaves..
>
> I use to boil water and then turn off the boiler, waiting some seconds and put leaves in it, but temperature is very random (about 95 - 99 °C).
>

> I'd like to buy a proper thermostat and take more care about this stuff but I've really no idea when infuse leaves.
>

> What are your habits?
>

> Thanks!

Full boil temperature for black teas. beginning to bubble temperature for green teas. Adjust for individual teas. But in the summer I just soak the leaves in water in the refrigerator for refrigerated tea. Toci
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

xeiman > wrote:
>Hi, I'd like to ask you which temperature do you use to infuse tea leaves.
>I use to boil water and then turn off the boiler, waiting some seconds and =
>put leaves in it, but temperature is very random (about 95 - 99 =B0C).

If you are making black tea, that would be about right. My inclination is
to boil the kettle, then pour the kettle into a pot over the leaves and in
the process the water will drop a few degrees but still stay very close to
boiling.

>I'd like to buy a proper thermostat and take more care about this stuff but=
> I've really no idea when infuse leaves.

If you're drinking oolong or green teas that would seem an excellent plan.
If you're drinking black teas it would seem extra work for little gain.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

xeiman > wrote:

> Hi, I'd like to ask you which temperature do you use to infuse tea
> leaves. I use to boil water and then turn off the boiler, waiting some
> seconds and put leaves in it, but temperature is very random (about 95
> - 99 °C).

Putting the leaves into the boiler sounds strange. But then I don't know
what kind of boiler you've got.

> What are your habits?

I have always made black tea by quickly pouring the still boiling water
from the kettle into the nearby pre-warmed teapot.

Just yesterday, though, I came across a blog post claiming to report a
method taught by an elderly English lady. It contradicts practically
everything I know about water temperature for black tea, namely it
advises to:

- turn off the heat for about 1 minute after the water has boiled, and
then pour it into the 'pot;

- open the teapot mid-infusion and stir the tea leaves with a spoon
(more loss of warmth!)

It does prescribe a tea cozy, so maybe that compensates.

--
Dario Niedermann. Also on the Internet at:

gopher://retro-net.org/1/dnied/ , http://devio.us/~ndr/
Member

Location: Florida

Hi, if you are a big tea drinker, I would recommend getting an electric kettle with temperature controls, or an all in one tea brewer like the Breville Tea Maker. With green tea for example, if you brew it too hot then you will burn the leaves and release too much tannin into the water leaving it bitter.

There are tricks online about getting the right temperature such as when it starts to get tiny little bubbles on the bottom, it is about 160-170 degrees. If you see small strings of bubbles rising to the top, this indicates a temperature of 180-190 degrees. After that you’ll have a full rolling boil. I know I've read online how long to wait for the temperature to drop 10 degrees, but having difficulty finding right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeiman View Post