Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default knock knock....

Anyone home?

I see someone posting 3 days ago, but very little current traffic. As
a fairly new tea drinker (coffee fanatic most of my 66 yrs), but
longtime usenet denizen, I'm hungry for tea info and discussion.

I'm an ol' geezer, lifelong cook, and love strong pungent flavors. I
seem to prefer black and pu-erh teas, so far. Need more info on
oolongs.

I plan on buying a sampler from The Phoenix Collection, having seen
the movie All In This Tea, which caught my interest initially. Any
opinions welcome.

nb
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

notbob > writes:

>Anyone home?

No, not I.

>I see someone posting 3 days ago, but very little current traffic. As
>a fairly new tea drinker (coffee fanatic most of my 66 yrs), but
>longtime usenet denizen, I'm hungry for tea info and discussion.
>
>I'm an ol' geezer, lifelong cook, and love strong pungent flavors. I
>seem to prefer black and pu-erh teas, so far. Need more info on
>oolongs.
>
>I plan on buying a sampler from The Phoenix Collection, having seen
>the movie All In This Tea, which caught my interest initially. Any
>opinions welcome.

When ordering Puer from them, be careful about which is
green/uncooked/sheng and which is ripe/cooked/shu. It isnt always
clear from the writeups.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
http://babelcarp.org
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 2014-04-24, Lewis Perin > wrote:

> When ordering Pu-er from them, be careful about which is
> green/uncooked/sheng and which is ripe/cooked/shu. It isn't always
> clear from the writeups.

Yikes! I don't even know what your jes said. Uncooked/cooked?
Shu/sheng? Looks like I need more study. So far, I've tried two
pu-erhs. One, hard compressed cup shapes. Almost tasteless and no
odor. The other, "pearls" or round balls, but not so hard pressed.
Very earthy unique flavor, smells like "dirty socks", much like the
movie mentions. Both teas reddish in color when brewed.

I've discounted our local tea purveyor (cup pu-erh) as all their teas
are almost tasteless/flavorless. My other source, Adagio, seems to to
rely on scent-heavy botanicals. The Jasmine Silver Needle almost
chokes one with jasmine stink. But, I like their pu-erh. I'll keep
searching.

nb