Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Hating my new teapot :-/

It's a porcelain teapot with a built-in strainer: small holes in the
pot's body where the spout is attached. It's just a mess to clean,
since I can't get rid of the leaves through the spout when I rinse it!

Any cleaning tips or techniques I'm overlooking because of my lack of
previous experience with this kind of teapot?

TIA

--
Saluti
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Dario Niedermann > writes:

>It's a porcelain teapot with a built-in strainer: small holes in the
>pot's body where the spout is attached. It's just a mess to clean,
>since I can't get rid of the leaves through the spout when I rinse it!
>
>Any cleaning tips or techniques I'm overlooking because of my lack of
>previous experience with this kind of teapot?

While brewing, you could confine the leaves within a teaball or sack or
the like, but that tends to degrade the quality of what comes out the
spout. If you want to use a big teapot, the best compromise in my
opinion is to use an external strainer rather than an internal one. May
I add that this is one of many reasons I usually prefer to use a gaiwan?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
http://babelcarp.org
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin > wrote:

> While brewing, you could confine the leaves within a teaball or sack
> or the like, but that tends to degrade the quality of what comes out
> the spout. If you want to use a big teapot, the best compromise in my
> opinion is to use an external strainer rather than an internal one.

Infuriatingly, I still have to use a handheld strainer when pouring
because the builtin one doesn't catch 100% of the leaves. So, basically,
it's just there to annoy me when i clean the pot.

> May I add that this is one of many reasons I usually prefer to use a
> gaiwan?

My next teapot will be either a gaiwan or a Turkish çaydanlık, I have
to make up my mind (i.e.: eventually I'll get both. And a brown betty.)

--
Bye
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Hi Dario,

> It's a porcelain teapot with a built-in strainer: small holes in the
> pot's body where the spout is attached. It's just a mess to clean,
> since I can't get rid of the leaves through the spout when I rinse it!
>
> Any cleaning tips or techniques I'm overlooking because of my lack of
> previous experience with this kind of teapot?

I am accustomed to using a hand air blower to get rid of such leaves.
Like thoses used to clean lenses of a camera.
It works pretty well!

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Et vous allez reprendre votre bateau… Et, mergitur ou pas,
fluctuat ! Compris ! Fluctuat ! » (Goudurix)
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Julien ÉLIE > wrote:

> I am accustomed to using a hand air blower to get rid of such leaves.
> Like thoses used to clean lenses of a camera.
> It works pretty well!

Interesting tip, can you elaborate? Do you wait for the leaves to be dry?

--
Best regards

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Hi Dario,

>> I am accustomed to using a hand air blower to get rid of such leaves.
>> Like thoses used to clean lenses of a camera.
>> It works pretty well!

> Interesting tip, can you elaborate? Do you wait for the leaves to be dry?

I do not wait for the leaves to be dry. They go away when I use the
hand air blower. It's very easy to do with that tool :-)

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Et vous allez reprendre votre bateau… Et, mergitur ou pas,
fluctuat ! Compris ! Fluctuat ! » (Goudurix)
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

A tea needle or some other such thin implement helps to get rid of clogs. I have some thin brushes meant for cleaning straws (bought in baby supply store) that would get the insides of a spout really clean.
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Peltier View Post
A tea needle or some other such thin implement helps to get rid of clogs. I have some thin brushes meant for cleaning straws (bought in baby supply store) that would get the insides of a spout really clean.
Thanks for the tips, You can use lemon juice which is used as a bleaching agent to clean out stains and straints. It looks shine and happy to use.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Thursday, 4 July 2013 17:05:01 UTC+1, Dario Niedermann wrote:
> Lewis Perin > wrote:
>

> > While brewing, you could confine the leaves within a teaball or sack

> > or the like, but that tends to degrade the quality of what comes out

> > the spout. If you want to use a big teapot, the best compromise in my

> > opinion is to use an external strainer rather than an internal one.

> Infuriatingly, I still have to use a handheld strainer when pouring
>
> because the builtin one doesn't catch 100% of the leaves. So, basically,
>
> it's just there to annoy me when i clean the pot.

Perhaps you should stop "cleaning". What are you doimg? I mean really, just tip it up and scoop out what does't fall out cleanly, and if that's too much trouble, just swirl round some fresh water and tip over. It might also help to get a cleaner pour, to wash the tea before steeping. I use Turkish tea and make lemon-tea and both these get rid of staining by the brown teas. I'm wondering whether the brown stains are sulphur compounds. Anyone know one way or other?