Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default The current state of tea.

I was walking through the local tea market the day before yesterday in
search of a new tea table. I noticed a pretty interesting difference in
teas available. The market is no longer completely Puerh driven as it was
a few years ago; seems to be more about novelty teas. Each of the dozen
shops I used to frequent for a cup and a chat now has Yingde Red, several
differnet types of local greens or maybe some odd medicinal ingredients.
The damaged economy is forcing vendors to up the interest level of their
shops.

Sales tactics have also changed. Now there are promises of pollution-free
or pesticide-free teas; an impossibility in the face of the supply and
demand tea problem here. The Puerh choices have dwindled to only famous
factories and the touts no longer lie about this and that being 30-years
old. The local tea drinking population has finally wised up to the age
scam as their flavor continues to mature.

The prices of everything now is off the charts. Good thing I can bargain
in their own language. I ended up paying less for my tea tray than I did 6
years ago when I bought the last one, but with the value of the USD where
it is, I actually paid the same.

I mostly drink greens made by my friend's family, Taiwanese Oolong and the
Puerh that I've collected over the years.

This is Mydnight signing off, still in China searching out the best cup for
the value.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Monday, November 26, 2012 3:08:46 AM UTC-6, Mydnight wrote:
> I was walking through the local tea market the day before yesterday in
>
> search of a new tea table. I noticed a pretty interesting difference in
>
> teas available. The market is no longer completely Puerh driven as it was
>
> a few years ago; seems to be more about novelty teas. Each of the dozen
>
> shops I used to frequent for a cup and a chat now has Yingde Red, several
>
> differnet types of local greens or maybe some odd medicinal ingredients.
>
> The damaged economy is forcing vendors to up the interest level of their
>
> shops.
>

> Sales tactics have also changed. Now there are promises of pollution-free
>
> or pesticide-free teas; an impossibility in the face of the supply and
>
> demand tea problem here. The Puerh choices have dwindled to only famous
>
> factories and the touts no longer lie about this and that being 30-years
>
> old. The local tea drinking population has finally wised up to the age
>
> scam as their flavor continues to mature.
>

> The prices of everything now is off the charts. Good thing I can bargain
>
> in their own language. I ended up paying less for my tea tray than I did 6
>
> years ago when I bought the last one, but with the value of the USD where
>
> it is, I actually paid the same.
>

> I mostly drink greens made by my friend's family, Taiwanese Oolong and the
>
> Puerh that I've collected over the years.
>

> This is Mydnight signing off, still in China searching out the best cup for
>
> the value.

I imagine that what happens there, happens here- maybe a bit later. Toci

Gun-hater state news, Meat recalled after two state residents sickened Clinton Follies General Cooking 0 29-09-2016 02:17 AM
Current Best Tea Sites? Aaron W. Hsu Tea 11 09-06-2014 06:41 PM
my current fav thing.. KROM Diabetic 17 14-12-2010 06:03 PM
Current grocery prices! Sky General Cooking 82 08-01-2008 10:15 PM
Current Top 10 Douglas W Hoyt Beer 3 08-02-2007 01:57 AM