Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default sushi

http://www.sushifaq.com has information about how I can make sushi at
home, but has anyone ever done this? I don't think it's as easy as it
looks, but I was wondering if anyone has tried. Some items don't look
too hard, but the rolls seem like you would need a lot of practice. SO
has anyone tried making it at home and is it as easy as they make it look?
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Wednesday, August 1, 2012 1:55:26 PM UTC-5, Rogi wrote:
> http://www.sushifaq.com has information about how I can make sushi at
>
> home, but has anyone ever done this? I don't think it's as easy as it
>
> looks, but I was wondering if anyone has tried. Some items don't look
>
> too hard, but the rolls seem like you would need a lot of practice. SO
>
> has anyone tried making it at home and is it as easy as they make it look?

I haven't tried, but Yahoo has it looks like hundreds of recipes- look up sushi recipes. Maybe try the ones they labeled "easy" first- though the Japenese ones I saw didn't look too difficult. Toci
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

In article >,
Rogi > wrote:
>... has anyone ever done this? I don't think it's as easy as it
>looks, but I was wondering if anyone has tried. Some items don't look
>too hard, but the rolls seem like you would need a lot of practice. SO
>has anyone tried making it at home and is it as easy as they make it look?

Sushi isn't just one thing, it's a whole lot of different things. It's
trivial to make most of the common rolls at home, and with a little practice
you can do better than most of the half-trained people at the local sushi
restaurants.

Some things are a little harder, like the ogo salads, and the real problem
with those are getting proper ogo. But if you live in a place (like Hawaii
or Southern California) where you can just gather the stuff at the beach, you
can make stuff MUCH better than the fluorescent-colored garbage that comes out
of a tub.

The real problem with making sushi is that you cannot get good sashimi in
the US. US law requres all "sushi-grade" fish to be flash-frozen, which
dramatically affects the flavour. If you live in a place where you can go
down to the docks and get a fresh aku right off the boat and take it home and
cut it up, it is transcendent and amazing and far better than the crap that
American sushi places pawn off on customers. But, it's also illegal. Welcome
to America.
--scott