Space Cowboy

Default Another trip to Chinatown

Tian Hu Shan Tea Co from Fujian is selling a wide varity of Chinese
teas in 8oz glass apothecary jars from $8-10 depending on which store
you buy from. Large and small stainless steel kettles with metal
infusers. The first I've seen. $10 Korean 'pumpkin' teacups with
saucer,cup,infuser,lid. The lid is a cup for holding the infuser.
Chinese cup,infuser,lid $6. Small gaiwans $4. The real deal the lid
fits inside the rim of the cup. Nobody understands it as such but
boxes say 'chawan' which is more understood. Only in America a
megastore from HongKong abuts a megastore from Mexico. I usually get
the tea aisles to myself but had to wait my turn as Hispanics
deciphered the Chinese. My first tres lecche cake was yummy. If you
learn one Chinese word for tea (besides that) it is Bai meaning White.
I picked up "Bai Maohuo" from Xiamen Tea Co which according to my
dictionary is White Hair Monkey. The box describes downy monkey
looking leaves making the best Wulong. Maybe. Vacuum packed foil
which goes hiss when opened. A real strong earthy oolong from Anxi.
Worth every penny at $2.50/100g. I didn't see any expensive Silver or
Golden Bud beeng cha.

Jim
samarkand

Anxi?

I thought Baimaohou hails from Zhenhe city of Fujian, and is a lightly
fermented oolong...

Samar

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
om...
> Tian Hu Shan Tea Co from Fujian is selling a wide varity of Chinese
> teas in 8oz glass apothecary jars from $8-10 depending on which store
> you buy from. Large and small stainless steel kettles with metal
> infusers. The first I've seen. $10 Korean 'pumpkin' teacups with
> saucer,cup,infuser,lid. The lid is a cup for holding the infuser.
> Chinese cup,infuser,lid $6. Small gaiwans $4. The real deal the lid
> fits inside the rim of the cup. Nobody understands it as such but
> boxes say 'chawan' which is more understood. Only in America a
> megastore from HongKong abuts a megastore from Mexico. I usually get
> the tea aisles to myself but had to wait my turn as Hispanics
> deciphered the Chinese. My first tres lecche cake was yummy. If you
> learn one Chinese word for tea (besides that) it is Bai meaning White.
> I picked up "Bai Maohuo" from Xiamen Tea Co which according to my
> dictionary is White Hair Monkey. The box describes downy monkey
> looking leaves making the best Wulong. Maybe. Vacuum packed foil
> which goes hiss when opened. A real strong earthy oolong from Anxi.
> Worth every penny at $2.50/100g. I didn't see any expensive Silver or
> Golden Bud beeng cha.
>
> Jim

Space Cowboy

The box says "Baimaohuo is grown in Anxi HuJiang". It also says "It
is well enjoyed by the customers for its special feature or
everlasting fragrant and sweet taste". You see fragrant and sweet
used often in Chinese tea descriptions and I think something is lost
in translation. Nothing gentle about this tea. The leaf is more
green monkey than white down but definitely not Pouchong. It'll take
some time to figure this one out. A pleasant surprise without the
expensive local tea shoppe you can only buy it here surtax.

Jim

"samarkand" > wrote in message >...
> Anxi?
>
> I thought Baimaohou hails from Zhenhe city of Fujian, and is a lightly
> fermented oolong...
>
> Samar
>
> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> om...

nibble.nibble.nibble
> > I picked up "Bai Maohuo" from Xiamen Tea Co which according to my
> > dictionary is White Hair Monkey. The box describes downy monkey
> > looking leaves making the best Wulong. Maybe. Vacuum packed foil
> > which goes hiss when opened. A real strong earthy oolong from Anxi.
> > Worth every penny at $2.50/100g.

Space Cowboy

"samarkand" > wrote in message >...
> Anxi?
>
> I thought Baimaohou hails from Zhenhe city of Fujian, and is a lightly
> fermented oolong...
>
> Samar
>
> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> om...

nibble.nibble.nibble
> > I picked up "Bai Maohuo" from Xiamen Tea Co which according to my
> > dictionary is White Hair Monkey. The box describes downy monkey
> > looking leaves making the best Wulong. Maybe. Vacuum packed foil
> > which goes hiss when opened. A real strong earthy oolong from Anxi.
> > Worth every penny at $2.50/100g.

Space Cowboy

The box shows the monkey character ho2u but spelling huo. I think
we're talking about 'white hair monkey' baimaohou. I didn't spot the
transposition which could have made all the difference. I'm now
thinking from the strong taste that the description could also has
something to do with age of leaf but there is still some down color
and infusion is whole leaf green. Maybe an old stand of tea trees
versus cultivar plants. There was a time when your local tea shoppe
was the only place for Chinese variety but the retail shelves have
caught up especially within last two years. I still haven't given up
on finding Silver or Golden bud beeng cha. It may never happen since
it has been suggested that puer is an 'Occidental' delicacy and I'm
probably the only one in the city who even drinks the stuff because my
local tea shoppe hasn't moved one package of mini tuocha after the
last one I bought two months ago that I can see the faint dust outline
of the one I bought.

Jim

Lewis Perin > wrote in message >...
> (Space Cowboy) writes:
>
> > The box says "Baimaohuo is grown in Anxi HuJiang".

> Jim is spelling it Baimaohuo, and Samar as Baimaohou. Could they be
> different teas?
>

> > "samarkand" > wrote in message
> > > Anxi?
> > >
> > > I thought Baimaohou hails from Zhenhe city of Fujian, and is a lightly
> > > fermented oolong...
> > >
> > > Samar

Space Cowboy

The box shows the monkey character ho2u but spelling huo. I think
we're talking about 'white hair monkey' baimaohou. I didn't spot the
transposition which could have made all the difference. I'm now
thinking from the strong taste that the description could also has
something to do with age of leaf but there is still some down color
and infusion is whole leaf green. Maybe an old stand of tea trees
versus cultivar plants. There was a time when your local tea shoppe
was the only place for Chinese variety but the retail shelves have
caught up especially within last two years. I still haven't given up
on finding Silver or Golden bud beeng cha. It may never happen since
it has been suggested that puer is an 'Occidental' delicacy and I'm
probably the only one in the city who even drinks the stuff because my
local tea shoppe hasn't moved one package of mini tuocha after the
last one I bought two months ago that I can see the faint dust outline
of the one I bought.

Jim

Lewis Perin > wrote in message >...
> (Space Cowboy) writes:
>
> > The box says "Baimaohuo is grown in Anxi HuJiang".

> Jim is spelling it Baimaohuo, and Samar as Baimaohou. Could they be
> different teas?
>

> > "samarkand" > wrote in message
> > > Anxi?
> > >
> > > I thought Baimaohou hails from Zhenhe city of Fujian, and is a lightly
> > > fermented oolong...
> > >
> > > Samar

Kevin

If you are still interested in golden or silver bud Beeng
cha take a look here...

http://yunnantea-export.com/compress...udbeengcha.htm

Kevin
..
Mike Petro

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 16:29:42 GMT, Kevin > wrote:

>If you are still interested in golden or silver bud Beeng
>cha take a look here...
>

>http://yunnantea-export.com/compress...udbeengcha.htm
>
>Kevin
>.

Kevin,

I have dealt with them on several occasions. They can provide good
teas but those price ore the Laowai prices. Paying them is also a
challenge as they currently only accept Western Union or Bank Wire
transfers, both of which add considerable overhead to the transaction.
They have usually provided very good tea but be specific about what
you want. For example I ordered the Gold Bud bings in that ad and what
I got was similar but not the same. The Bings I got had a very
different wrapper and weighed less. They claimed it was the same tea
inside though???

My recommendation is to only deal with them if you are in the market
for 10kg or more.

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net

A big SF Chinatown disappointment Space Cowboy Tea 0 27-09-2010 02:07 PM
Chinatown going upscale Space Cowboy Tea 0 28-05-2007 04:11 PM
Posole and Chinatown Space Cowboy Tea 0 23-12-2005 06:07 PM
TN : Wines in Chinatown DaleW Wine 6 26-06-2005 02:19 PM
Another day in Chinatown Space Cowboy Tea 4 09-03-2005 04:50 AM