Tea (rec.drink.tea) Discussion relating to tea, the world's second most consumed beverage (after water), made by infusing or boiling the leaves of the tea plant (C. sinensis or close relatives) in water.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 09-02-2011, 09:38 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default Lu Tong's Seven Bowls of Tea CJ ---LuTong (Tang. 790~835)ci]*. 790~835^

Okay you lost me on the third bowl.

Jim

On Feb 8, 9:04 am, icetea8 wrote:
Lu Tong's Seven Bowls of Tea CJ ---LuTong (Tang. 790~835)ci]*.
790~835^
The third bowl searches my barren entrails but to find TJj\zA
Therein some five thousand scrolls; r*dA


  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-02-2011, 11:12 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12
Default Lu Tong's Seven Bowls of Tea 七碗詩 ---LuTong (Tang. 790~835)盧仝(唐. 790~835)

Hi Jim,

Okay you lost me on the third bowl.


I also do not understand the meaning of these verses:


The third bowl searches my barren entrails but to find 三碗搜枯腸,
Therein some five thousand scrolls; 惟有文*五千卷,


What is it about? Knowledge? Does it mean that knowledge is useless
when it is time to drink tea? Or that the only thing left ("but to
find") is knowledge?

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Tu dois avoir un messager zélé autant qu'ailé pour faire
rapidement le trajet.
Oui ! et c'est une fine mouche ! » (Astérix)
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-02-2011, 02:02 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default Lu Tong's Seven Bowls of Tea 七碗詩 ---LuTong (Tang. 790~835)盧仝(唐. 790~835)

Youre right. Drinking tea leads to an innard :-) wisdom.

Jim

On Feb 10, 4:12 pm, Julien ÉLIE
wrote:
Hi Jim,

Okay you lost me on the third bowl.


I also do not understand the meaning of these verses:

The third bowl searches my barren entrails but to find 三碗搜枯腸,
Therein some five thousand scrolls; 惟有文*五千卷,


What is it about? Knowledge? Does it mean that knowledge is useless
when it is time to drink tea? Or that the only thing left ("but to
find") is knowledge?

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Tu dois avoir un messager zélé autant qu'ailé pour faire
rapidement le trajet.
Oui ! et c'est une fine mouche ! » (Astérix)


  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 24-02-2011, 01:27 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 58
Default Lu Tong's Seven Bowls of Tea 七碗詩 ---LuTong (Tang. 790~835)盧仝(唐. 790~835)


just for fun i ran the original chinese through google translate,
actually thats not so bad for a machine,,
Seven bowls of poetry, Lu Tong, Tang. (790 ~ 835)
Run a bowl of throat kiss,
Second, breaking the bowl alone, nausea,
Three bowls of search desperately,
Text only five thousand volumes,
Siwan light-Khan,
Grievance to the pores of his life to make casual,
Wu Wan musculoskeletal clear,
Liu Wan-pass Faerie,
Not have to eat seven bowls,
CD breeze blowing gently feel the two axillary Health.
Penglai Mountain, where the wind want to go back to take this sub-
Tamagawa.
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 25-02-2011, 07:53 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default Lu Tong's Seven Bowls of Tea CJ ---LuTong (Tang. 790~835)ci]*. 790~835^

Google translate would be better if it recognized more polysyllabic
Chinese characters for words you find in dictionaries like Cedict.

Jim

On Feb 24, 6:27 am, icetea8 wrote:
just for fun i ran the original chinese through google translate,
actually thats not so bad for a machine,,
Seven bowls of poetry, Lu Tong, Tang. (790 ~ 835)
Run a bowl of throat kiss,
Second, breaking the bowl alone, nausea,
Three bowls of search desperately,
Text only five thousand volumes,
Siwan light-Khan,
Grievance to the pores of his life to make casual,
Wu Wan musculoskeletal clear,
Liu Wan-pass Faerie,
Not have to eat seven bowls,
CD breeze blowing gently feel the two axillary Health.
Penglai Mountain, where the wind want to go back to take this sub-
Tamagawa.



  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 25-02-2011, 10:55 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 993
Default Lu Tong's Seven Bowls of Tea 七碗詩 ---LuTong(Tang. 790~835)盧仝(唐. 790~835)

Space Cowboy writes:

Google translate would be better if it recognized more polysyllabic
Chinese characters for words you find in dictionaries like Cedict.


Yeah, but Chinese text doesnt have spaces between words. And a given
character in a sentence might be the last character in one word or the
first in another or a middle character in yet another. Teaching a
computer program to figure out this stuff reliably would not be easy.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
http://www.panix.com/~perin/babelcarp.html
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-02-2011, 01:27 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default Lu Tong's Seven Bowls of Tea 七碗詩 ---LuTong (Tang. 790~835)盧仝(唐. 790~835)

Cedict(MDBG.NET) will parse the correct polysyllabic combinations if
they exist in its dictionary. Nciku does so equally. If its not in
one it is in the other. You pick a character in a Chinese string you
dont know if it is mono or polysyllabic. Sites like these know how to
parse. If the Chinese can do it a computer can.

Jim

PS There are lists of STOP words in Chinese that help with sentence
parsing. I will say Google translate is better at this than word
parsing.

On Feb 25, 3:55 pm, Lewis Perin wrote:
Space Cowboy writes:
Google translate would be better if it recognized more polysyllabic
Chinese characters for words you find in dictionaries like Cedict.


Yeah, but Chinese text doesnt have spaces between words. And a given
character in a sentence might be the last character in one word or the
first in another or a middle character in yet another. Teaching a
computer program to figure out this stuff reliably would not be easy.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /


  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-02-2011, 01:39 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default Lu Tong's Seven Bowls of Tea CJ ---LuTong (Tang. 790~835)ci]*. 790~835^

I forgot to mention the other great treasure trove of Chinese
dictionaries,grammar,etc is Google Books. Find the books with Full or
Preview and use the search function for the books. Unfortunately only
English works not the Chinese.

Jim

On Feb 26, 6:27 am, Space Cowboy wrote:
Cedict(MDBG.NET) will parse the correct polysyllabic combinations if
they exist in its dictionary. Nciku does so equally. If its not in
one it is in the other. You pick a character in a Chinese string you
dont know if it is mono or polysyllabic. Sites like these know how to
parse. If the Chinese can do it a computer can.

Jim

PS There are lists of STOP words in Chinese that help with sentence
parsing. I will say Google translate is better at this than word
parsing.

On Feb 25, 3:55 pm, Lewis Perin wrote:

Space Cowboy writes:
Google translate would be better if it recognized more polysyllabic
Chinese characters for words you find in dictionaries like Cedict.


Yeah, but Chinese text doesnt have spaces between words. And a given
character in a sentence might be the last character in one word or the
first in another or a middle character in yet another. Teaching a
computer program to figure out this stuff reliably would not be easy.


/Lew
---
Lew Perin /


  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-02-2011, 04:14 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 993
Default Lu Tong's Seven Bowls of Tea 七碗詩 ---LuTong(Tang. 790~835)盧仝(唐. 790~835)

Space Cowboy writes:

Cedict(MDBG.NET) will parse the correct polysyllabic combinations if
they exist in its dictionary. Nciku does so equally. If its not in
one it is in the other. You pick a character in a Chinese string you
dont know if it is mono or polysyllabic. Sites like these know how to
parse.


Sort of. They make plenty of mistakes.

If the Chinese can do it a computer can.


Theres an old computer science joke that applies to the question of
parsing natural language with a finite algorithm: Time flies like an
arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Chinese isnt unique in this regard,
though the question of word boundaries makes it harder.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
http://www.panix.com/~perin/babelcarp.html


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tang! Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 0 11-03-2016 11:30 AM
Lu Tong's Seven Bowls of Tea -LuTong(Tang. 790~835) Lewis Perin Tea 1 04-04-2011 04:52 AM
Serving Tong [email protected] Barbecue 6 26-08-2008 06:52 PM
Serving Tong [email protected] Baking 0 11-08-2008 03:42 AM
Gamja Tang in northwestern Seoul [email protected] Asian Cooking 0 22-11-2005 03:35 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017