Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Chinese Sencha Tea

Hello Usenet,

My wife recently attended a restaurant in Perth, Western Australia,
and ordered a tea that was labelled as "Chinese Sencha Tea". The brew
was an amber colour and had a taste that, while not sweet, lacked any
of the bitterness of traditional green tea. The flavour also had
apricot undertones.

Can anyone help us identify the exact type of tea, and possibly a
supplier?

Thanks,

Denys Williams
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

brigman > writes:

>Hello Usenet,
>
>My wife recently attended a restaurant in Perth, Western Australia,
>and ordered a tea that was labelled as "Chinese Sencha Tea". The brew
>was an amber colour and had a taste that, while not sweet, lacked any
>of the bitterness of traditional green tea. The flavour also had
>apricot undertones.
>
>Can anyone help us identify the exact type of tea, and possibly a
>supplier?

It sounds as if what you're looking for is Chinese green tea made by
steaming (as in Japanese sencha) rather baking or frying the leaves.
You might find tea like this under the rubric Yu Lu (Chinese characters
玉露) or Zheng Qing (蒸青). It's also possible that Jin Shan Shi Yu (金
山时雨) is made by steaming, but I'm not sure.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Hello Denys, I buy my Sencha tea(teabags and loose) at T2 and find these
very enjoyable.
Suggest you contact your T2 store at:

Garden City Shopping Centre, Shop 71,
125 Risley St
Booragoon 6154
Phone: 08 9315 1470

or check out their web site: wwwT2tea.com

Good luck, hope you find what you are looking for.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 20, 10:57*am, brigman > wrote:
> Hello Usenet,

Hi Denys

I think you are talking about Puerh tea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pu-erh_tea

if you like to learn more about this kind of tea, you can refer to the
book:the First step to Chinese Pu-erh Tea.

Enjoy,
TEAroma

Why is Sencha so ugly Space Cowboy Tea 2 15-06-2009 05:07 PM
Wakamidori Sencha Square Peg Tea 20 23-10-2008 03:19 PM
Need sencha edumacation Melinda[_2_] Tea 7 04-07-2008 04:04 PM
Sencha Shot - Ito En Dominic T. Tea 3 15-12-2007 04:59 AM
Sencha help tatrader Tea 2 07-01-2005 09:10 AM