FoodBanter.com

-   Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/)
-   -   Aaaaargh (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/397921-aaaaargh.html)

toci 23-06-2010 11:58 AM

Aaaaargh

How did all the spammers find us? I'm drinking only iced tea
these days; I have a quart each of Java tea and Christmas tea made
up. Each is very good iced. Toci

Space Cowboy 28-06-2010 06:47 PM

Aaaaargh

Its amazing how many people think they can get rich off the Internet
after giving a workshop constant their last welfare check.
When it gets hot there Ill make iced Java.
I cant post anymore using Google Groups and FireFox on Linux. I have
to use Vista and IE8. AAARRRRRGGGGG.

Jim

Aaron W. Hsu 28-06-2010 10:11 PM

Aaaaargh

Space Cowboy > writes:

>I cant post anymore using Google Groups and FireFox on Linux. I have
>to use Vista and IE8. AAARRRRRGGGGG.

I recommend that you really use a decent usenet client: Pan, Knode,
NN, SLRN, ... Something! Also, use one of the free usenet servers that
are available or get a very inexpensive account on one of the paid
servers. It makes life much better than google groups.

Aaron W. Hsu

Space Cowboy 29-06-2010 01:17 PM

Aaaaargh

Google Groups never forgets. I cant believe Google and Firefox are
confused on how to handshake using a Form function from first
generation HTTP 1.0 Luckily it still works for everything else
requiring Form.

Jim

Space Cowboy 29-06-2010 01:20 PM

Aaaaargh

It works now. All I did was unchecked the box Stay Logged In when I
Login. I believe that is a new box.

Jim

Aaron W. Hsu 29-06-2010 11:59 PM

Aaaaargh

Space Cowboy > writes:

>Google Groups never forgets.

I don't know what Google Groups you've been using, but I have had a
terrible time with getting Google Groups to find old messages that I
wanted, and there were times when whole groups just up and disappeared.

For myself, I actually use Giganews, which has very nice retention
rates, and I don't think they ever expire any text newsgroup. They don't
have the older things from when they were still expiring text groups,
but if I really need to search that far back, I can use Google Groups
for the search.

Aaron W. Hsu

Scott Dorsey 30-06-2010 04:27 AM

Aaaaargh

Aaron W. Hsu > wrote:
>Space Cowboy > writes:
>
>>Google Groups never forgets.

>I don't know what Google Groups you've been using, but I have had a
>terrible time with getting Google Groups to find old messages that I
>wanted, and there were times when whole groups just up and disappeared.

The messages aren't gone, but the Google Groups indices are getting
corrupted. And there's nobody at Google that seems to care about reports
about the problems.

There are a lot of messages that I can find by message-id but not by
keywords, for instance. Doing searches by keyword often fails completely.

As far as I can tell, google uses the Google Groups operation as a dumping
ground for their less competent employees... if indeed they actually have
any employees there at all and aren't just letting everything run on automatic.
--scott

Space Cowboy 30-06-2010 02:03 PM

Aaaaargh

The Group search doesnt work like their literal Internet search. Im
not sure its even keyword based. I think it is topic based on the
thread. If I cant find it one way I try another. All the threads by
author by date seems reliable. Sometimes I use site:http://
groups.google.com/ or simply rec.food.drink.tea with their search
engine. Google Groups never forgets but it is hide and seek
sometimes.

Jim

Scott Dorsey 30-06-2010 02:38 PM

Aaaaargh

Space Cowboy > wrote:
>The Group search doesnt work like their literal Internet search. Im
>not sure its even keyword based. I think it is topic based on the
>thread.

Go to Advanced Group Search. It used to work. Now it doesn't.

Google bought the Dejanews archives and have been successively making them
less and less useful as time as gone on. Dejanews indexing and searching
was much more comprehensive, it was faster, and it had a better user interface
and did not attempt to hide the fact that Usenet was a public and distributed
service and not a proprietary Google one.
--scott

Space Cowboy 30-06-2010 03:36 PM

Aaaaargh

It doesnt get any more obvious than clicking:

This is a Usenet group - learn more

Its not a Google problem. Its the uneducated WWW net citizens who
think everything is a blog and couldnt care less about anything called
Usenet. DejaNews would have died on the vine and all content lost
without Google. Ive trained myself not to look at the ads. I wished
they would index with their Internet search engine like you see it
used on some repository websites. Im still not aware of any posts
that have disappeared. I use my memory trying to find old posts that
I know are there.

Jim