Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default A Good Jasmine Tea...

would be?

I'm hoping to do some purposeful purchases soon (vs just what ever has
come into the house.*)

So, is there the stuff to avoid that is tea with Jasmine perfume
sprayed on it and some other stuff thats actually worth imbibing?

berk
*It's funny, living with roommates, how stuff just kind of shows up.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

My Jasmine is what has snuck into the house over the years ie I never
finish it off. Look at the recent posts by Dominic on Jasmine which
was ones of his favorites. He left and started a blog so probably
something there. I recommend buying dried Jasmine and adding your
own. Or if commercial make sure you can see the flowers. Another bet
is US Magnolia(most recent addition) which is in my opinion is a
better Jasmine than the Chinese magnolia. The Chinese view Jasmine as
medicinal so the aroma and taste overpowering. Try other dried
flowers like lavender, honeysuckle, rose, orange blossom, peony,
orchid, and many more you can find in a herbal shoppe.

Jim

On Jun 3, 11:31 pm, TBerk > wrote:
> would be?
>
> I'm hoping to do some purposeful purchases soon (vs just what ever has
> come into the house.*)
>
> So, is there the stuff to avoid that is tea with Jasmine perfume
> sprayed on it and some other stuff thats actually worth imbibing?
>
> berk
> *It's funny, living with roommates, how stuff just kind of shows up.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 4, 8:30*am, Space Cowboy > wrote:
> My Jasmine is what has snuck into the house over the years ie I never
> finish it off. *Look at the recent posts by Dominic on Jasmine which
> was ones of his favorites. *He left and started a blog so probably
> something there. *I recommend buying dried Jasmine and adding your
> own. *Or if commercial make sure you can see the flowers. *Another bet
> is US Magnolia(most recent addition) which is in my opinion is a
> better Jasmine than the Chinese magnolia. *The Chinese view Jasmine as
> medicinal so the aroma and taste overpowering. *Try other dried
> flowers like lavender, honeysuckle, rose, orange blossom, peony,
> orchid, and many more you can find in a herbal shoppe.
>
> Jim
>
> On Jun 3, 11:31 pm, TBerk > wrote:
>
> > would be?

> > I'm hoping to do some purposeful purchases soon (vs just what ever has
> > come into the house.*)

> > *So, is there the stuff to avoid that is tea with Jasmine perfume
> > sprayed on it and some other stuff thats actually worth imbibing?

> > berk
> > *It's funny, living with roommates, how stuff just kind of shows up.

I'm not dead! I didn't really start a blog either, I've had that
for quite a few years and unfortunately I haven't had time recently to
update it. If you want a decent Jasmine go with a Jasmine Pearl type.
They range from decent to exceptional, but rarely if ever are they
poor and compared to the crap shoot with many loose jasmine greens
it's always a safe bet.

I've been doing a lot of artwork lately and just enjoying tea again,
not worrying about writing about it.

- Dominic
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

In the stores you will find Jasmine Yin Hao which are the pearls.
Even better the Yin Hao without the Jasmine if you can find it which
is one of my absolute favorites. My biggest change no more monthly
puer tasting at the local Chinese tea shoppe. Its too bad tea shoppes
are a business first and a pleasure second. When I say something
about tea it comes from the part of me that is the brush on the
canvas. I am also under no illusion nobody will notice when I am
gone. My only criticism about blogs people drink the same tea and say
the same thing. There are a couple of moderated Chinese tea websites
where I can pick up new ideas and learn some Chinese tea terms along
the way. Tea drinking makes you a warrior in mind and body. That
just got scrolled on the canvas.

Jim

On Jun 4, 9:22 am, "Dominic T." > wrote:
> On Jun 4, 8:30 am, Space Cowboy > wrote:
> > My Jasmine is what has snuck into the house over the years ie I never
> > finish it off.

....I should start an incense shoppe...

> I'm not dead! I didn't really start a blog either, I've had that
> for quite a few years and unfortunately I haven't had time recently to
> update it. If you want a decent Jasmine go with a Jasmine Pearl type.
> They range from decent to exceptional, but rarely if ever are they
> poor and compared to the crap shoot with many loose jasmine greens
> it's always a safe bet.
>
> I've been doing a lot of artwork lately and just enjoying tea again,
> not worrying about writing about it.
>
> - Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

TBerk > wrote:
>would be?
>
>I'm hoping to do some purposeful purchases soon (vs just what ever has
>come into the house.*)
>
> So, is there the stuff to avoid that is tea with Jasmine perfume
>sprayed on it and some other stuff thats actually worth imbibing?

Well, the baseline jasmine tea is the yellow box stuff... used to be marked
Fujian National Exports Co but I think the same factory is badging it under
the Foojoy name. Available at your local chinatown for maybe five bucks a
pound.

There are far better jasmine teas out there, and there are worse ones too,
but this is what you'll normally get served in a restaurant if you ask for
jasmine tea. It's green tea with jasmine petals in it, nothing else.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Thx folks. I was thinking of trying some of those other dried
aromatics as suggested too.

As a matter of fact, the best teas I've had to date have turned out to
have been what I think are the pearl kind mentioned; tiny rolled up
balls of leaves that expand when steeped. (Kind of fun watching the
before and after.)

TBerk
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I wished by local tea shoppe would use glass instead of earthenware so
people could witness 'the agony of the leaves'. The owner just came
back from the Lost Wages Tea Convention with some DaHongPao. Its the
newer style of light roast which is going through the same evolution
of TGY from dark to light. Its not a grease cutter but could handle
sugary dessert. He also brought back Fujian Silver Sprouts. Its is
the green version of Silver Needles. Both sexy dry and infused leaf.

Jim

Jasmine green mandy george Tea 3 28-03-2015 03:05 PM
A waste of a better Jasmine Space Cowboy Tea 0 30-09-2009 04:08 PM
jasmine rice elaine General Cooking 21 30-10-2007 05:56 PM
jasmine flower tea cha bing Tea 16 01-05-2007 12:11 AM
Jasmine pearl vs Jasmine pearl magicleaf Tea 3 16-04-2007 03:34 PM